PDA

View Full Version : Daniele Salvatore Dichio-Our Best Striker

trane
05-25-2009, 07:22 PM
I know it has been done before. But I just hope he gets more time. Many of you will disagree, for various reasons, but I have always said it, he may be slow, he may be old, but if the more games he starts the better shot we have at having a good year. It all seems so simple.

Pachuco
05-25-2009, 07:28 PM
He should absolutely start next game. However, he's started other games at BMO field where he looked lost. I think with him you have to take it one game at a time. I'm sure Cummins is smart enough to see how he does in practice to determine whether he should start from game to game.

trane
05-25-2009, 07:31 PM
^ I figure that is what Cummins is doing. If he looks lost I have a feeling it has to do with fitness. When he cannot move, it is hard to play. But the more he can play the better off we are.

spezz44
05-25-2009, 07:35 PM
he should start unless, he pulls himself, he has earned it!

gtaguy
05-25-2009, 08:04 PM
dichio much like guevara are seasoned pros .. Guys like these can close thier eyes and still know where to put the ball at..

Yohan
05-25-2009, 08:16 PM
best one touch passer in the league

one more season, danny! because without you, TFC offence would be shite

gtaguy
05-25-2009, 08:19 PM
would love to see dichio start to play a role in development.. there are a ton of things danny can do to better the canadian players... Dichio is now a citizen of canada i hope that we can hold him in toronto becuase the likes of him will be in demeand in the years to come ...

Yohan
05-25-2009, 08:35 PM
would love to see dichio start to play a role in development.. there are a ton of things danny can do to better the canadian players... Dichio is now a citizen of canada i hope that we can hold him in toronto becuase the likes of him will be in demeand in the years to come ...
no he is not a canadian citizen. he's only got landed immigrant papers

Stryker
05-25-2009, 08:37 PM
best one touch passer in the league

I love the man but lets not get rediculous

poppamidnight
05-25-2009, 08:48 PM
He needs to sit one of the next 2 for sure...

You guys are downright Silly if you disagree with Cummins for wanting to rest him....

We're a playoff-calibre team eyeing the playoffs....

We focus on the big picture (having Dichio healthy for the strech run),
not the little picture (the next 2 games)

....and no he's not 'our-best', he's 'the best for THIS team' in place .... there's a difference.
"best" infers superior skillset to the others. That would be hard to argue for DD

Yohan
05-25-2009, 08:49 PM
I love the man but lets not get rediculous
oh fine. best one touch passer striker in the league :p

Stryker
05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
oh fine. best one touch passer striker in the league :p

still reaching dude

Yohan
05-25-2009, 08:52 PM
still reaching dude
really. who do you think has better first touch than dichio?

Stryker
05-25-2009, 08:58 PM
really. who do you think has better first touch than dichio?

Just off the top of head... Angel, Montero, Lopez, the diving cunt in the pee jersey.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I think Cummins is sometimes looking at matchups of opposing defenders. The smaller ones can't handle Dichio's physical presence (ie. Barnes, Heaps). In Houston, there is Boswell and Hainault, more bigger physical defenders and slower. That being said, Dichio is playing well, he may not change anything.

Yohan
05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Just off the top of head... Angel, Montero, Lopez, the diving cunt in the pee jersey.
they may be a better passer overall than dichio, but i think dichio has better one touch passer than all of the named

just IMO

the stuff Dichio does with one touch, and about 80% of the time, it actually hits a teammate. uncanny ability

jloome
05-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Yohan, you're a smart young cat, but Danny isn't even close to the best one touch guy in this league. He's one of the better finishers, which his strike rate has born out over the last couple of seasons. Probably the best out-and-out target forward, as I'm not sure that's what cooper or jacqua really are (well, not in the "big dunc" hold up, create havoc traditional sense.)

bhoybobby
05-25-2009, 11:29 PM
still reaching dude

Name one that's better. He's the most intelligent player on this team, we're so much better in the final 3rd with him.

He's our best forward by a country mile, he deserves another year. I'll bet every team in the league hates playing against him & would love to have on the team.

bhoybobby
05-25-2009, 11:31 PM

Danny's 1st touch is equal to, or better than those guys. More importantly, it's what he does with his 1st touch. Barret & Wynne could only dream to have that, especially Barrett

Roogsy
05-26-2009, 12:55 AM
Name one that's better. He's the most intelligent player on this team, we're so much better in the final 3rd with him.

He's our best forward by a country mile, he deserves another year. I'll bet every team in the league hates playing against him & would love to have on the team.

Yep.

He is by far our only forward with a killer instinct.

Dichio wasn't blessed with incredibly technical skills.

He isn't graceful or acrobatic.

But the man plays to his full potential.

There are other players on TFC with more skill and potential, but none of them play to their full potential. Danny is less talented, but what he does have, he uses to the full. And that is the difference.

He has been by far the most consistent player on TFC in all 3 seasons. And it blows me away every time I hear someone criticizing him.

twistedchinaman
05-26-2009, 02:09 AM
Dichio is a legend, and has shown himself repeatedly to strike in critical moments. Two of those three goals against NE CANNOT have happened without some madly skillzd passing from the man himself.

The man wants it, and dammit, he fucking gets it. Unlike some other strikers up front of course...but still. The man isn't flashy like Shitlotto and the fuckalls who get the covers of the rags and gets all the camera limelight, but he gets the job done. A bit messy, but hey -- what isn't?

Dichio is legend. Always has, always will.

End!

Fiin
05-26-2009, 05:18 AM
he should start unless, he pulls himself, he has earned it!

Thats my view. Danny will know when hes good to play and when hes not. But forsure hes earned the starting spot, again :P

sweetlemon69
05-26-2009, 07:07 AM
He's not playing the role of a striker...

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 07:12 AM
He once punched a man in his soul

Maple Leaf Red
05-26-2009, 09:10 AM
My dad and I have always been huge Dichio supporters. He does yeoman's work to keep moves ticking over, he is a good finisher, and he gives 110%.

He'll be vital for the team's chances going forward as Saturday's game showed the kind of massive impact that he can still have.

I don't think that he needs to start every game though. It's important to ensure that he still has something in the tank for the MLS Cup Final.

trane
05-26-2009, 09:21 AM
^ I do not disagree with the sentiment. The only thing is that we do not have a striker that can realy fill his role. We can play without him, but I think that we are better with him. If he does not have enough games we may not make it to the playoffs. We are looking good, but we are far from a shoe in.

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:51 AM
do we miss Casey right about now. He would have been just right as a new #9

Lucky Strike
05-26-2009, 09:54 AM
He once punched a man in his soul.

Quote of the day right there!

But yes, regardless of how Dichio's first touch compares to others, I think we can all agree he makes the most of the ball when he gets it and TFC plays much better with him. I've said it before, but Mo needs to begin a search (if he hasn't already) for a Dichio-esque player who's younger for when the big man retires. He had the right idea with Paul Dickov and while a lot of people weren't sure about him, I thought he would have been great here.

Arnie Knows
05-26-2009, 10:28 AM

You know what you are talking about that's for sure..

Cheers

trane
05-26-2009, 10:32 AM
Quote of the day right there!

But yes, regardless of how Dichio's first touch compares to others, I think we can all agree he makes the most of the ball when he gets it and TFC plays much better with him. I've said it before, but Mo needs to begin a search (if he hasn't already) for a Dichio-esque player who's younger for when the big man retires. He had the right idea with Paul Dickov and while a lot of people weren't sure about him, I thought he would have been great here.

I think so as well, we had a thread about it. We should be looking for a Target Men type.

NateDoGG
05-26-2009, 10:55 AM
not our best Striker, guevara clearly is, dichio is making himself the upfront playmaker it seems so far This season... the first 2 seasons dichio was our best striker...

trane
05-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Guevarra is not a striker he is a CM/AM. Guevarra is the best goalscorer this season. But at least two of them have been assisted by Danny.

bertal
05-27-2009, 02:18 PM
best striker? i dont know, but the man tries when he has the chance aka (as others said before) working 110% plus people didnt say this: he's our talisman... hes one of those guys who gets people on their feet (even the sitting ones) and happens to inspire some of the players.

Walnut
05-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Danny well may be our best striker -- but that is not a ringing endorsement of him, but rather a reflection of our other options.

We desperately need attacking prowess moving forward -- and we cannot rely on all of our goals to come from the MF. We have to have attacking options that can score.

TFC OZZ
05-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I think that it's pretty hard to argue against the fact that DeRo is our best striker, when he's playing in that position. Guevera isn't a striker, and to be honest with you, I don't know that I'd rate Dichio higher than Barrett; ya he's done a lot of important things for this club, but skillwise it's a tossup for me.

Carts
05-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I'd say Dichio is our 'most important man' in our offence...

He may not be the top striker this season (ie: total goals scored), but with him in the lineup, others have more oppourtunities...

Dichio is our best target man up front... He attracts defenders, and can bring in long balls with his size... This opens up room for others to have a go at goal - Guevara's 1st goal last weekend, and he has a great touch for a big (great through ball for Dero's goal)... Even just his presence going for balls in the air can lead to goals (Guevara's free kick bouncer last week)... Add in his size in the box on corners attracting defenders, that could open up for short-corners / set plays off the ball...

Carts...
Stay Thirsty My Friends...

Section 117
05-28-2009, 11:22 AM
At the end of the day does it really matter who scores wether it is a striker or a midfielder. As long we score who cares....

Plus Danny is the most influential player upfront no questions about it they play entirely different with him in the line up...

my 2 cents

trane
05-28-2009, 02:22 PM
I'd say Dichio is our 'most important man' in our offence...

He may not be the top striker this season (ie: total goals scored), but with him in the lineup, others have more oppourtunities...

Dichio is our best target man up front... He attracts defenders, and can bring in long balls with his size... This opens up room for others to have a go at goal - Guevara's 1st goal last weekend, and he has a great touch for a big (great through ball for Dero's goal)... Even just his presence going for balls in the air can lead to goals (Guevara's free kick bouncer last week)... Add in his size in the box on corners attracting defenders, that could open up for short-corners / set plays off the ball...

Carts...
Stay Thirsty My Friends...

Agreed.

For the record, by Striker I mean as in position not goal scorer. Some seem to have missintepreted that.

TorontoBlades
05-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Dichio to me seems to keep on getting better as he ages and uses his experience now that he doesn't have the same physicality he did as a younger player. He has simplified his game since he's come here and it's really worked for him as a talisman.