View Full Version : Guevara named player of the week

James17930
05-24-2009, 01:44 AM
Legend.

Discuss.

:flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare:

Mojo
05-24-2009, 03:25 AM
qft. Everything he did today was stellar multiplied by magnificent. Even his yellow made me want to love him more than I do at this moment.

Shakes McQueen
05-24-2009, 06:47 AM
I got worried when he got the yellow card, because it looked like he snatched the card out of the ref's hand in anger, haha. Then I realized he just whipped his arm in the air.

- Scott

DOMIN8R
05-24-2009, 07:07 AM
^^^^ Yeah - I thought - owfukherecomesaRED. Cunnins in the post game scrum comments on his behaviour. Cummins supports all his players!

James17930
05-24-2009, 07:10 AM
I figured Harmse was going to come on for him at some point . . . was actually surprised Cummins left him on as long as he did. Especially after the yellow, I was yelling at my computer -- 'Take him off! Take him off!'

But a great game today. I'm liking him more every week.

Redpunkfiddle
05-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Sobresaliente!

I'd argue he's our most under appreciated player, results to credit given.

JonO
05-24-2009, 08:12 AM
for those watching at home - was the yellow deserved? I didn't see him take any steps forward on the play, but I wasn't paying a lot of attention to him...

ensco
05-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Fabulous player. Very lucky not to get tossed.

You get the good with the bad, I guess. His temper will cost us a game at some point (as it did vs Dallas last year). Which is OK by me.

icecoldbeer
05-24-2009, 08:57 AM
This picture speaks for itself.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20090523/i/r2112330178.jpg

FluSH
05-24-2009, 09:13 AM
^^^^
El Lobo!!

James Oliphant
05-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Legend.

Discuss.

What's to discuss? You just summed it up perfectly with one word. There's no topping that.

Nuvinho
05-24-2009, 09:16 AM
We have the best midfield in the league.......and 2 of the best scoring midfielders.

If Amado doesn't miss games due to Intl duty....he could get 10 goals, and 10 assists.

NateDoGG
05-24-2009, 09:18 AM
guevara is proving himself pretty key.. dichio was huge in this game tho, if it wasnt for dichio, 2 of the 3 goals wouldnt have happened

Kevin
05-24-2009, 09:18 AM
I've mentioned some where in here in the past that I work with a Honduran that is from the same home town as Amado. I can't wait until Tuesday to tell him about the performance that he showed Saturday. I'm as proud as the next fan!

FluSH
05-24-2009, 09:23 AM
To the tune of Wonderwall - Oasis (chorus 1:29)

5lwJ0cJmOWw

El Lobooooooooooooooooo
You make me wanna scream GOLAZOOOOOOOOOOOO!
So take the Baaaaaaaaall
and unite us aaaall

Nuvinho
05-24-2009, 10:10 AM
If no players today go off in the Chi-NYRB game, I have a strong feeling that Amado will win MLS Player of the Week.

Shep
05-24-2009, 10:31 AM
This picture speaks for itself.

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20090523/i/r2112330178.jpg

This man needs his own song!

I'm still high from yesterday's win, and will probably be in a great mood all week :)

Keyman
05-24-2009, 10:35 AM
This man needs his own song!

I'm still high from yesterday's win, and will probably be in a great mood all week :)

FluSH's post :drum:

It would sound great.

Carts
05-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Amado's effort this season has been awesome...

He's going guts out every game, and you can see his passion, and his anger every match...

He does have his own song, its sung to '7 nation army' and is bones simple as his name is the only lyric... LOL

He is showing his MVP form, and WANTS TO WIN. That's what makes great players even better, the will to win...

On our squad you can see that determination in some players. Dichio, Frei, Guevara, Robbo, Brennan, Dero - we need all the guys to have that passion, and the good thing is - that will is catchy, one guy has it and it spreads...

Hats off to Amado - as Craig Forrest would say, he was 'World Class' yesterday...

Carts...
Stay Thirsty My Friends...

loconet
05-24-2009, 10:57 AM
When he shows up, he's a phenomenal player. Definitely needs his own song!

jloome
05-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Wasn't there a group singing Ama-ado Gue-vara to a White Stripes tune during the game? Was real clear on the ol' stero system.

Guy was insane yesterday, on a different level. This system is really working with the similar skillsets of Dero, Guevara, Vitti, Barrett (more directly, but he always makes space).

Still need one of them to step up as the double digit scorer, though -- although if they bag two more each over the next month, both DeRo and Guevara will be enroute to that total.

Inswingingwingman
05-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Easy use Volaire.

Amando Whoa whoa whao

El Loco whoa whoa whao

You make us want to yell goal

You tell the ref where to go

We love you we need you

Danny will feed you..

Amando whoa whoa whao
Guvera whoa whoa whao
repeat....LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgeI0NeOjhI&feature=related

That was off the top of my head, play with those words...

James Oliphant
05-24-2009, 12:07 PM
How about getting his name right?

Amando = Amado

Guvera = Guevara

El Loco = El Lobo

Volaire = Volare

FluSH's post works great.

Bobo
05-24-2009, 12:10 PM
guevara is proving himself pretty key.. dichio was huge in this game tho, if it wasnt for dichio, 2 of the 3 goals wouldnt have happened

Actually, Dichio played a part in all the goals.

Amando whoa whoa whao
Guvera whoa whoa whao
repeat....LOL

Yikes, you totally massacred his name.:D

BRed
05-24-2009, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't say the guy is a legend but he is one of the top 2 players on TFC.

dantdot
05-24-2009, 12:40 PM
He'll probably pass or tie DD for our all-time leading scorer this season.

Detroit_TFC
05-24-2009, 04:00 PM
He's in the MLS golden boot listings at fifth with 5, top four all tied at 6.

Nuvinho
05-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Now I can say that Amado should win player of the week award in MLS. No one else this week had a better game.

Darlofletch
05-24-2009, 04:11 PM
It's a shame that when he got subbed the announcer was announcing the 50/50 draw, so a lot of people didn't notice, so he didn't get the standing o he deserved today.

I'm not a massive fan of his, but when he shows up, he's a great player at this level.

DoubleUp
05-24-2009, 05:38 PM
If he shows up he's great but his flip flop performances in our midfield dont help our cause.

Yohan
05-24-2009, 05:40 PM
why can't last game's Guevara show up all the time?

great performance though

FluSH
05-24-2009, 05:53 PM

great performance though

Turf wasn't wet... :D

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-24-2009, 05:59 PM
He had a great game yesterday...dont know why he was not man of the match? 2 goals...and not man of the match..??

Roogsy
05-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Has anyone been as consistent upon his arrival with the team (other than Dichio) than Guevara?

Roogsy
05-24-2009, 06:31 PM

great performance though

What player does?

Guevara is far more consistent for us than most other players.

But all players have off games.

Yohan
05-24-2009, 06:42 PM
What player does?

Guevara is far more consistent for us than most other players.

But all players have off games.
i think you and i disagree on this. guevara to me, shows up once every three games

his numbers and stats will tell differently, but i think he could use few lessons on work rate from barrett

ps: anyone else notice guevara likes to score a lot of braces?

FluSH
05-24-2009, 07:53 PM
i think you and i disagree on this. guevara to me, shows up once every three games

his numbers and stats will tell differently, but i think he could use few lessons on work rate from barrett

ps: anyone else notice guevara likes to score a lot of braces?

Let's face it... and I hate to use this old recycled arguement... but if he showed up like that to every game how much do you think we could sell him to the Rangers for? $10M maybe $20M

I say that Guevara plays a solid game every time however... there are games where it looks like he's coasting or on cruise mode on the field... I would say a part of this is the differance in style he is used to playing on the pitch with... and you know this becasuse people around here have blamed him for beign too creative.

Inswingingwingman
05-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Ok, so I'm 60 and not spanish...and my spelling is sometimes in question unless you want to spout the Queen's English, that I can handle.

Only a Moron makes an issue out of spelling on this board, most people can't spell at all....

Want to go into an English spelling bee with me and you are on...I'd put $100 bucks up any day....might be old an retired but I can hold my own.

James Oliphant
05-24-2009, 08:09 PM
*facepalm*

boban
05-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Let's face it... and I hate to use this old recycled arguement... but if he showed up like that to every game how much do you think we could sell him to the Rangers for? $10M maybe $20M
$5.

Being a bit sarcastic but the guy is 33 yrs. old. You ain't getting much for him.

FluSH
05-24-2009, 08:15 PM
$5.

Being a bit sarcastic but the guy is 33 yrs. old. You ain't getting much for him.

Ok, at 33 you are probably right...

Roogsy
05-24-2009, 08:24 PM

I say that Guevara plays a solid game every time however... there are games where it looks like he's coasting or on cruise mode on the field... I would say a part of this is the differance in style he is used to playing on the pitch with... and you know this becasuse people around here have blamed him for beign too creative.

Exactly right.

FluSH
05-24-2009, 08:35 PM
$5.

Actually the Rangers have more than a few 30yr olds in their 1st squad... but I don't see none at 33 or over haha

BRed
05-24-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't think Guev has the speed, both in sprinting and decision making, to compete at a higher league. There's a reason why he is 31 and playing in the MLS. So for MLS purposes he is a great asset but let's not let things get out of hand.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-24-2009, 10:51 PM
Amado's effort this season has been awesome...

He's going guts out every game, and you can see his passion, and his anger every match...

He does have his own song, its sung to '7 nation army' and is bones simple as his name is the only lyric... LOL

He is showing his MVP form, and WANTS TO WIN. That's what makes great players even better, the will to win...

On our squad you can see that determination in some players. Dichio, Frei, Guevara, Robbo, Brennan, Dero - we need all the guys to have that passion, and the good thing is - that will is catchy, one guy has it and it spreads...

Hats off to Amado - as Craig Forrest would say, he was 'World Class' yesterday...

yeah man, definitely underappreciated, where are the people that say he only performs for Honduras now?

joel
05-25-2009, 12:21 AM
He isn't running as hard this year, and seems to play better in dry and warm conditions. But when he's on, he's on. Seems to be enjoying playing in toronto and generally seems to get back to business after any temporary flip-out sessions.

prizby
05-25-2009, 01:08 AM
i will still never forgive him for his diving theatrics against Canada last year in Montreal

Ossington Mental Youth
05-25-2009, 01:52 AM
really?
No club over country?
I couldnt care less what happened, he can hardly be blamed for the miserable state of the canadian national team and that loss

prizby
05-25-2009, 05:44 AM
really?
No club over country?
I couldnt care less what happened, he can hardly be blamed for the miserable state of the canadian national team and that loss

its not about country vs. club, its about playing the game with integrety, and frankly Guevara was a disgrace to the game.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-25-2009, 05:57 AM
its not about country vs. club, its about playing the game with integrety, and frankly Guevara was a disgrace to the game.

i can think of waaaaaaaay fucking worse players doing worse things

Calvin
05-25-2009, 06:02 AM
my problem with guevarra is that he misses lots of chances due to his style of play. think back to chicago this year, ball right in-front of the net on his foot, easy goal. but his first instinct is to go backwards, by the time he turns its too late and the chance was lost.

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2009, 06:40 AM
I've thought Guevara's done a lot for the side this year. As much as we hate talking about simulation he's the only player that could get a call from the officials when they were going against us.

I much prefer talking about the fantastic shots and crosses he's made. He's a key element to this team and as mentioned, if he were more consistent he wouldn't choose to be in this league.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 07:31 AM
I am waiting for the MLS weekly awards........I have a feeling we may see a familiar name!!!

James17930
05-25-2009, 10:29 AM
^ Goal of the Week now up -- let's actually get him to win this one -- not like we blew De Ro's earlier this month:

http://web.mlsnet.com/sights/goal_of_the_week/

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 11:08 AM
^ Goal of the Week now up -- let's actually get him to win this one -- not like we blew De Ro's earlier this month:

http://web.mlsnet.com/sights/goal_of_the_week/

Woo hoo! I am in like stink.

Looks like we are up against Chris Rolfe...who banged one in against us last week. REDEMPTION!

FluSH
05-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Did we really lose DeRo's bid....? What happened to us!?!

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 11:12 AM
WHAAAAAA?

We didn't win that one? We were smoking that poll!

I am more convinced than ever that DC fans are using some sort of programming to interfere...we are using straight forward real fans and killing polls and then at the last moment DC players win the polls. Check out the latest winners. I smell a rat.

FluSH
05-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I just realized how bad some of these American commentators are... just plain dreadful it has to be a conspiracy to make soccer the most boring sport to watch on TV... just checkout the commentating highlights on the Seatle vs COL game... just awful.

FluSH
05-25-2009, 11:17 AM
WHAAAAAA?

We didn't win that one? We were smoking that poll!

I am more convinced than ever that DC fans are using some sort of programming to interfere...we are using straight forward real fans and killing polls and then at the last moment DC players win the polls. Check out the latest winners. I smell a rat.

La Barra Brava has waged an internet war with us... we shall haXOrz this poll!!

Keegan
05-25-2009, 11:31 AM
De Rosario was the best player on the park saturday. He was stellar throughout. A lot of people get caught up in stats, Guevara was stellar but no love for De Rosario? Just because Guevara had an extra fluky goal?

Stryker
05-25-2009, 11:34 AM
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Amado come seasons end.
Does he want to stay with us? Do we want to roll the dice on giving him a new contract? He's getting up there and I think we'd see alot more of his lazy games than his hard played games in another year or two.

dantdot
05-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Amadoooo, Player of the week http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090525&content_id=4941032&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

FluSH
05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Amado come seasons end.
Does he want to stay with us? Do we want to roll the dice on giving him a new contract? He's getting up there and I think we'd see alot more of his lazy games than his hard played games in another year or two.

If he is lazy and he's the top goal scorer for the team... what do we call everyone else?

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Amadoooo, Player of the week http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090525&content_id=4941032&vkey=pr_mls&fext=.jsp

Yes!!!

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 03:17 PM
http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090525&content_id=4942212&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

sorry...immersing myself in TFC news in order to forget another playoff final in which the Blades decided not to show up.

Stryker
05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
If he is lazy and he's the top goal scorer for the team... what do we call everyone else?
Chad.

Carts
05-25-2009, 04:07 PM
The one thing I'm loving with Guevara right now is that you can see how much he wants to win... Is it because the career is coming to end & he wants to end a winner, or just his competitive spirit I don't really care...

At the finally whistle on Saturday, the camera cut to Guevara on the bench, he hammered out a fist pump, quick sign of the cross and away he went...

When he misses the free kicks, he's pissed, when he losses the ball he's tracking back...

Keep it going Guevara!

Carts...
Stay Thirsty My Friends...

Razcle
05-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Goal.com's MLS Player Of Week 10: Toronto FC's Amado Guevara

Toronto's clever midfielder Amado Guevara has won player of the week honors from Goal.com. His long-distance brace against the New England Revolution set him on his way.

http://i.media.goal.com/g/45717_news.jpg

http://goal.com/en-us/news/1110/major-league-soccer/2009/05/25/1286186/goalcoms-mls-player-of-week-10-toronto-fcs-amado-guevara

Razcle
05-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Discussion happening in
Amado.......Fuckin.....Guevara thread in the Toronto FC section

rocker
05-25-2009, 05:16 PM
amado looks great in red

gtaguy
05-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Amado is one of the guys on this team that bleeds his heart almost every game..
This guys antics and bad attitude come from the love of the sport and his competitive nature..
Toronto would only be so proud to have this guy back again seeing how he's a mature player with the right wits about him.. If he leaves next year rest assured he will leave a huge hole in the middle especially with no one with his calibre to replace him.. Amado is one of the guys on this team that does not look for fame or fortune but just goes out to do his part as a team... Look at the goals scored by our midfield this year and you will see that without dero and guevara we would probably basement dwellers ...

Pachuco
05-25-2009, 07:07 PM
This guys antics and bad attitude come from the love of the sport and his competitive nature..
Toronto would only be so proud to have this guy back again seeing how he's a mature player with the right wits about him.. If he leaves next year rest assured he will leave a huge hole in the middle especially with no one with his calibre to replace him.. Amado is one of the guys on this team that does not look for fame or fortune but just goes out to do his part as a team... Look at the goals scored by our midfield this year and you will see that without dero and guevara we would probably basement dwellers ...

Pretty impossible to disagree with this. Oh wait, que up the "He's a diving cheater" posts.

gtaguy
05-25-2009, 07:19 PM
Pretty impossible to disagree with this. Oh wait, que up the "He's a diving cheater" posts.

dude lost you in translation :drinking:

Pachuco
05-25-2009, 07:22 PM
dude lost you in translation :drinking:

Haha. I agree with everything you said. For some crazy reason, there are others that don't.

trane
05-25-2009, 07:29 PM
He now how to play the game. Hustle is great, but footy IQ and footy skill, is hard to replace. Guevara has loads, and it shows.

gtaguy
05-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Haha. I agree with everything you said. For some crazy reason, there are others that don't.

Agree look at this guys stats right from our very first day ..2007.. If there is someone that has shown more professionalism and determination then Amado I promise i will quit writing in these boards but as far as im concerned all the bullshit that was written about this guy and how difficult he was to handle seems to not have been a factor here in toronto..
Amado has shown that not only is he a classy player , he a genius with the ball and becuase of his latin american style also knows how to control a game with a few of his antics..
Its not wrong to play into the refs its just a smart tactics on his part..
For us to criticize a player who has been around the block and back .A proven scorer, a player that has played and continues to play for his countries side says alot about him in many levels..
I am so glad hes on our side and not on the opposing end where he would drive the fans bonkers... El pescadito es el pescador.. the fish is the fisherman..

gtaguy
05-25-2009, 08:25 PM
1 more goal from guevara and that will put him right in line with landon donovan .(scoring title). mind you guevara has more assists than landon ..
Guevara is vying for one of the best years of his career in the mls... this guy deserves more then we have given him in toronto..

Stryker
05-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Toronto would only be so proud to have this guy back again seeing how he's a mature player with the right wits about him.... Amado is one of the guys on this team that does not look for fame or fortune but just goes out to do his part as a team....

Ok seriously did you just start watching this team last week?
Do you have any knowledge of MLS history further back than the start of may?

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 08:54 PM
1 more goal from guevara and that will put him right in line with landon donovan .(scoring title). mind you guevara has more assists than landon ..
Guevara is vying for one of the best years of his career in the mls... this guy deserves more then we have given him in toronto..

right in line with Landon Donovan, Conor Casey, Brian McBride, and Josh Wolff
And also Robbie Findley is tied with Guevara at 5 goals.

not trying to downplay how well he is doing... but there are several others fighting for top scorer.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
I'll be happy with 10 goals and 10 assists from Guevara ;)

gtaguy
05-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Ok seriously did you just start watching this team last week?
Do you have any knowledge of MLS history further back than the start of may?

Actually i should be asking you that question.
I don't care what you say Guevara is a solid player.

Then explain to me why would the coaching staff have him as a starter everygame. and when world qualifiers are going on guevara, marvell and sutton are our most notable absences from the team..

Were not talking about Cunninham, Laurent R , carlos ruiz, collin samuel, andy welsh. Do you remember these guys ? know where they are now ??

Stryker
05-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Actually i should be asking you that question.
I don't care what you say Guevara is a solid player.

Then explain to me why would the coaching staff have him as a starter everygame. and when world qualifiers are going on guevara, marvell and sutton are our most notable absences from the team..

Were not talking about Cunninham, Laurent R , carlos ruiz, collin samuel, andy welsh. Do you remember these guys ? know where they are now ??
They start him every game cause he's one of the most skilled players on the team. I wouldn't question that for a second.
You were ranting about what a team guy he is and how he plays his heart out every game.
In the past Guevara has been accused of slagging his own team to the press, being a premadonna in the locker room, refusing to play postions asked of him by his coach, blatent diving, shoving a ref, not showing up for practices, refusing mulitple trades and general dog fucking in games he just wasen't into.

Jebus... the blind fanboyism on here lately astounds me.
I love Guevara, Im happy as hell he plays for us, but to play him up like a saint is asinine.

gtaguy
05-26-2009, 11:01 AM
They start him every game cause he's one of the most skilled players on the team. I wouldn't question that for a second.
You were ranting about what a team guy he is and how he plays his heart out every game.
In the past Guevara has been accused of slagging his own team to the press, being a premadonna in the locker room, refusing to play postions asked of him by his coach, blatent diving, shoving a ref, not showing up for practices, refusing mulitple trades and general dog fucking in games he just wasen't into.

Jebus... the blind fanboyism on here lately astounds me.
I love Guevara, Im happy as hell he plays for us, but to play him up like a saint is asinine.

Has he done anything like this since he's been here with us .. NO
guevara appears to have matured and that is a positive..
If toronto was to ever refuse signing a player becuase of bad attitude, a pest in the locker room, diving ,shoving refs and general dog fucking we would have almost no players to pick from..
Its called taking a chance !!!!
Alot of players have alot pride,passion and bad attitudes guevara is no different.

ps: if there is alot of fanboyism around here why don't you go start a msg board where you can be king and your thoughts and comments are never questioned..

Yohan
05-26-2009, 11:06 AM
You never know with Guevara. He had few good years with NY before he went a bit nutty

Alot of players have alot pride,passion and bad attitudes guevara is no different.

this does not necessarily translate into professionalism. esp bad attitude part. lol

Stryker
05-26-2009, 11:12 AM
guevara appears to have matured and that is a positive..
If toronto was to ever refuse signing a player becuase of bad attitude, a pest in the locker room, diving ,shoving refs and general dog fucking we would have almost no players to pick from..
Its called taking a chance !!!!

ps: if there is alot of fanboyism around here why don't you go start a msg board where you can be king and your thoughts and comments are never questioned..
You win gtaguy. Your cat like abilities to side step inconvient truths and history has confounded me.

2freedom
05-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Guevara deserved it this week, does he deserve it other weeks, maybe. Not all weeks.

boomcha
05-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Just whipped this up for you guys.

http://i40.tinypic.com/o580id.jpg

Yohan
05-27-2009, 12:07 AM
^he looks very constipated

BeerBaron95
05-27-2009, 05:09 AM
Lets just look forward to many more games like this one out of him and help lead the boys to the playoffs.