PDA

View Full Version : I guess that's it for Ricketts?

Pages : [1] 2

Don Julio
05-25-2009, 12:54 PM
What do u do when your not wanted and someone wants u leave but they wanna try and trade u behind your back then ask u to walk 4 free.. Nutsfrom Twitter

I don't like sitting around earning money and not playing games its terrible but what can you do when you have been told....................Feel bad for the guy, but...

(Can someone fix my dyslexic title?)

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 12:55 PM
why would players post that kinda stuff on a public forum???

just weird!

Fort York Redcoat
05-25-2009, 12:56 PM
ouch if true.

Pigfynn
05-25-2009, 12:56 PM
^^Yikes

He's probably not helping his position twittering things like that.

Parkdale
05-25-2009, 12:57 PM
I don't get it.

why would he type 'you' in one post, but 'u' in another one. Maybe his account got hacked?

Oldtimer
http://twitter.com/rohanricketts

jabbronies
They post that kind of stuff because they want people to know what is really going on behind the scenes and it's an out for him as well.

Don Julio
05-25-2009, 12:58 PM
I don't think he ever helped himself with the amount of self-promoting and attention whoring he did. Doesn't look good to a coaching staff when you're not in form.

trane
why would players post that kinda stuff on a public forum???

just weird!

It is not appropriate. I can understand his frustration but he needs to keep it on the down low, between him and the team.

dantdot
Ruh Roh Rohan. So he's no longer fucking wicked? :(

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
They post that kind of stuff because they want people to know what is really going on behind the scenes and it's an out for him as well.

I guess if he knows for sure that his playing days are over then, why not post that stuff.

But if he has any chance of getting in the lineup, then he is totally killing it with those words.

jabbronies
n europe there's player power in the MLS there's league power... There needs to be a balance

He's right

Oldtimer
I think it's a fair guess that RR is leaving.

Not too surprised, he fit in Carver's lineup, but not in Cummins'.

Don Julio
why would he type 'you' in one post, but 'u' in another one. Maybe his account got hacked?

Um, call me a nerd but I checked and "you" would've put him over the 140 twitter limit.

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 01:00 PM
^ nerd

Nuvinho
I saw this earlier, but didn't want to post anything.......since the last thread went downhill pretty fast.

Parkdale
Um, call me a nerd but I checked and "you" would've put him over the 140 twitter limit.

u r nerd.

:cool:

Phil
05-25-2009, 01:01 PM

nerd.

Good job on that, I just nearly spit out my coffee. I am kind of shocked that he is putting this stuff out there, but things must have turned a corner if he is taking actions like this.

Don Julio
05-25-2009, 01:02 PM
lol

I'd say it's a safe bet that he wouldn't be posting this unless its' done and done.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 01:03 PM
so trade or just walking away?

Damien
05-25-2009, 01:03 PM
If Mo clears Rickett's allocation, I wonder who we'll pick up?

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
If Mo clears Rickett's allocation, I wonder who we'll pick up?

Jamie Smith?
Michael Owen? hahahahaha!!! had to say that!!!

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 01:04 PM
kinda too bad...
He was entertaining to watch, even if it didn't often amount to much.

He has potential and will surely find a spot on another team.

jabbronies
05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
Not too surprised, he fit in Carver's lineup, but not in Cummins'.

Did he? he came off the bench really late with Carver towards the end of the Carver era.

Honestly I was dissapointed with RR. I think if he played "playmaker" like he claimed he was, then he'd be sooo valuable to us. Instead he tried to play "hero" and lost the ball everytime he got it.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 01:05 PM
kinda too bad...
He was entertaining to watch, even if it didn't often amount to much.

He has potential and will surely find a spot on another team.

If a trade........San Jose surely needs someone to play out wide.....after ROB left.

mastermixer
05-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Too bad, seems like a good guy. We prob could use him when we start losing players to WCQ/Gold Cup/injuries etc but I guess he's getting antsy...

Oldtimer
05-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Explains why there has been no "Rolling with Ricketts" for some time now.

Steve
05-25-2009, 01:14 PM
If he is let go, I won't be too upset. Last year he showed a few games of class, but more games of wasted potential. I had hoped that, this year, with the other teams focusing on DeRo/Guevara he would have some room to work, but in games he got in, he didn't really show up. I must admit I've also been a little put off by his focus on the media when he has been failing on the field.

He was our only true winger, and his falling flat on his face this year is probably a reason we went to a 4-3-3 formation (when a 17 year old striker is taking your place on the wing, you're not doing well). Once we went to a 4-3-3 and started doing well with it, his days were numbered. Seriously, where could he even hope to slot in for a starting position? The midfield is being taken up by 2 DM (he is not one) and an AM (how many people here would pick him over DeRo or Guevara? Hell, even Vitti?). The strikers positions are being taken by, well, strikers. Even if Ricketts got back to his top form, we would have to change our formation back to a 4-4-2 to even really use him, and I don't see that happening.

Sonny Cheeba
05-25-2009, 01:15 PM
guy has his head in his ass.

i liked him a bit last year.... thought he brought a lot to the team. had a positive attitude, but gave up on that later on in the season.

TFC OZZ
05-25-2009, 01:15 PM
I like Rohan, but this kind of stuff is inappropriate. You guys need to remember that this is just Rohan's point of view, and take it with a grain of salt. Anyone remember the reports not to long ago about ROHAN ASKING TO BE TRADED TO NEW YORK? I'm not impressed by this, and I would like to hear the real story from both sides (although that will likely never happen).

trane
05-25-2009, 01:16 PM
^ Rickets has as much as any player to have played with us, too bad it did not come up together for him.

Stryker
05-25-2009, 01:17 PM
To reaffirm my preseason post about wanting Chris Rolfe for Ricketts...
One has 3 goals off the bench so far this year, the other whines like an emo teen on Twitter.

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 01:17 PM
I like Rohan, but this kind of stuff is inappropriate. I'm not impressed by this, and I would like to hear the real story from both sides (although that will likely never happen).

well I'm sure we'll be hearing something soon.

MLSE surely knows about this going public and will likely have some reaction in the near future.
Of course, the reaction could come in the form of a trade.

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 01:18 PM
it's like soooo Esky :)

just didn't earn his keep in salary

the exciting thing about this is that this must mean that we're dumping cap space for someone...

sully
05-25-2009, 01:19 PM
but this kind of stuff is inappropriate. (although that will likely never happen).

I don't think anything here is inappropriate...nothing wrong with the guy expressing his feelings and it's not like he's giving away any secrets. It was fairly obvious his time here will likely be up soon..

dantdot
05-25-2009, 01:20 PM
He was a little inconsistent and just not an effective winger. He has skills though, I'm sure he'll be fine if this is true. Looking at his wiki, he hasn't made more than 44 appearances for a team and was approaching that here.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 01:20 PM

the exciting thing about this is that this must mean that we're dumping cap space for someone...

I hope its not just for Jamie Smith.

Steve
05-25-2009, 01:22 PM

A move won't necessarily come that soon though (isn't it still a month until the window opens?).

Essentially, Mo has probably been shopping Ricketts around, since he obviously doesn't work with our current (relatively successful) formation. Even if you don't need the cap yet, it's a good idea to throw his name out there and see if anyone bites (he might even have gone to a specific team, like San Jose, who he thinks needs him). Ricketts probably got wind of this somehow (maybe through the Big Bruva information network) and flipped out. At that point, you have a pissed off player in your locker room, and you have to try to release him asap to not upset the rest of your team.

That's all just hearsay of course, but it seems rather likely to me.

Steve
05-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I don't think anything here is inappropriate...nothing wrong with the guy expressing his feelings and it's not like he's giving away any secrets. It was fairly obvious his time here will likely be up soon..

It's inappropriate, because it's probably part of his contract. Players are not allowed to unilaterally announce moves, it's just common sense. Trades are part of life as an athelete, it's what you signed on for, you can't throw a fit when it happens.

Brooker
05-25-2009, 01:24 PM
Rohan doing a nice job of embarassing himself.

can i pack this clowns bag for him to get him outta here faster?

Beach_Red
05-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Quote:
In europe there's player power in the MLS there's league power... There needs to be a balance

He's right

This is really for another thread, but he's wrong. Someday we hope the league can get to that point, but right now what the league needs is fans.

This league has been mostly a money losing venture for ten years. I suppose you couuld say that some players are taking a salary cut to play here, but not many. If there was "balance" these players would be losing money, too.

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm like sooooooo not following him anymore

Cambridge_Red
05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
We could've had Van Der Berg this past offseason but we rolled with Rohan and now we have to cart his ass off..

Don Julio
05-25-2009, 01:27 PM
It's more unprofessional than inappropriate.

Stryker
05-25-2009, 01:28 PM
But he can juggle the ball sitting down man!!!

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 01:28 PM
We could've had Van Der Berg this past offseason but we rolled with Rohan and now we have to cart his ass off..

DVB's wife lives in Toronto?? Wasn't the reason why DVB was traded to Dallas, because he wanted to be closer to his wife?

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 01:30 PM
Quote:
In europe there's player power in the MLS there's league power... There needs to be a balance

This is really for another thread, but he's wrong. Someday we hope the league can get to that point, but right now what the league needs is fans.

This league has been mostly a money losing venture for ten years. I suppose you couuld say that some players are taking a salary cut to play here, but not many. If there was "balance" these players would be losing money, too.

The one thing I was thinking when I read his twitter about the league a few days ago.......since the league owns his contract, the league can decide which team he should go to if Toronto doesn't want him. That's what could be happening.....but its just speculation.

dantdot
05-25-2009, 01:30 PM

It would be awkward if Paul B was following him.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
It would be awkward if Paul B was following him.

hahaha.......yeah.....but his teammates are....even more awkward.

sully
05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
It's inappropriate, because it's probably part of his contract.

I'd agree that it's inappropriate to speculate on possibly moving if it is part of the contract that he can't do so publicly, but I don't know. And well, if it is part of the MLS contract, then Beckam was in a violation on a much larger scale and there were no consequences for that so I'm guessing this is not part of the contract.

Chewy Unikronik
05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
Twitter is for suckas... Go watch Entertainment Tonight and read some Us Weekly while you're at it.

Stryker
05-25-2009, 01:34 PM
I wonder of the next Rollin with Ricketts will showcase him rollin his luggage to the airport.

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 01:36 PM
latest update....

http://assets1.twitter.com/images/white.pngrohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts)I am happy that burnley are gonna experience premier league football next season!!

manic-depressant much.....

Cambridge_Red
DVB's wife lives in Toronto?? Wasn't the reason why DVB was traded to Dallas, because he wanted to be closer to his wife?

I hardly think this would be a deciding factor, hes hardly up for retirement. Besides Toronto > Dallas

TorontoBlades
or maybe I'm just a bitter Blade today :(

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
I hardly think this would be a deciding factor, hes hardly up for retirement. Besides Toronto > Dallas

That was the factor - It was mentioned a few times that's why he wanted to leave New York.

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 01:37 PM
It is unfortunate. I am of the opinion that he wasn't given a shot this year. I don't know why. If it's something they saw in training or if it was the change in formation. But he was one of the few bright lights last season and I was hoping to see what he could do with a pre-season under him unlike last year.

This is professional sports.

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 01:39 PM
I just think he was too concerned with the off-the-pitch stuff....blogs, shows, twitter, rollin with ricketts...maybe should have spent some of that time training and improving

trane
05-25-2009, 01:39 PM
^ I had similar hopes for him. I agree that he was not given much of a chance this year, but he did not shine in the opportunities he was given. He was not terrible as some would make it out. But he was incosistent.

oldmanken
05-25-2009, 01:42 PM
Was a little surprised when I opened up my twitter and saw RR's tweets. Not surprised he may be on his way out, but more surprised that he would be so public about it.

Either way, he's not what we need in the team right now. I would much rather we trade him or free up the allocation room, as we need a striker or a defender (or both?).

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 01:43 PM
Twitter is for suckas... Go watch Entertainment Tonight and read some Us Weekly while you're at it.

...says the the dude posting on online forums

sully
05-25-2009, 01:45 PM
Ricketts was never a regular starter in his time here. His position on the field has always had lots of competition and he's been an inconsistent player when he did play. It's a pity if he leaves though...he seems like a great guy and team-player with lots of enthusiam and you can see glimpes of great potential. I would like to see him try Barrett's position as we saw last season he's got an eye for the goal..

TFC~Vatreni
05-25-2009, 01:46 PM
I think Ricketts' tenure with TFC can be summed up with the one great thing he did for TFC.... getting our jersey on 50 cent, lol.
...I believe he scored 2 goals in 1 game for us once too. ;)

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QHnYhBHc040/SRXgbx_IdkI/AAAAAAAAAAU/cFNCCPQcOrw/s320/50-cent.jpghttp://i25.tinypic.com/24fa8hy.jpg

Azerban
05-25-2009, 01:48 PM
nooooo what will i do with all these big bruva tshirts

good riddance to bad rubbish

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 01:48 PM
...and the latest

Everyone likes to formulate their own opinion which is their individual truth. The REAL truth never gets told.... Remember that!!!!2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/1914978871) from TwitterBerry (http://orangatame.com/products/twitterberry/)

TFC~Vatreni
05-25-2009, 01:51 PM
...and the latest

Everyone likes to formulate their own opinion which is their individual truth. The REAL truth never gets told.... Remember that!!!!2 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/1914978871) from TwitterBerry (http://orangatame.com/products/twitterberry/)

meh.... I got one for ya Rohan...

"Just because you're a professional, doesn't make you professional."

ua-kozak_TFC
05-25-2009, 01:55 PM
Did he? he came off the bench really late with Carver towards the end of the Carver era.

Honestly I was dissapointed with RR. I think if he played "playmaker" like he claimed he was, then he'd be sooo valuable to us. Instead he tried to play "hero" and lost the ball everytime he got it.
QFT!!! This guy is Welsh #2... he'll go down hill from herelike did andy...I would bet on it .

jloome
05-25-2009, 01:59 PM
Ricketts is like Stan Collymore, but without the "mean prick" part.

He acts like a headcase. He has talent up the ying-yang, can dance circles around people with a football, but he thinks too much. He thinks too much about his image. He thinks too much about MLS. He thinks too much about the guy who's about to try and tackle him.

Thinking is bad for the ball club.

When we were first looking at signing him, I started a thread entitled "Rohan Ricketts will turn heads weekly" or something like that; it was cheered my by many, although I knew he had this rep before he got here. Barnsley fans, where some good foot skills cuts you little slack, were merciless about his lack of seriousness or killer instinct.

About two weeks later, I took stick from Ricketts' cousin on here for suggesting he stop trying to score and concentrate on the fundamentals, stop trying to be the hero. Telling a winger to stop trying to score was, in his eyes, the height of foolishness.

I'd just like to point out now that if Rohan Ricketts leaves, it will be at least in part because he listens to bad advice: his own ego, his own self-doubt, and the people who surround him with adoration, even as he forgets that he has some pretty basic football functions required of him, to get behind defenders and cross the ball accurately.

His fans, going right back to Tottenham, have been telling him that for years. He didn't listen then, so I don't know why I expected him to listen here. Wishful thinking, I guess.

In the end, he's Laurent Robert part II, with a slightly better shelf life. Perhaps Mo has learned from this, although he'd probably argue that 44 games, these days, isn't a bad run.

Boudge
05-25-2009, 01:59 PM
I feel for the dude, kind of. But this is a business and I don't like our cap getting eaten up by people who are not playing.

Nothing personal but take it easy RR.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:00 PM
I knew this would be on mls-rumors already:

It looks like RR10 is on the move. We hear a deal could be done by the weekend.

Received by email:

Rohan Rickets is being shopped to other teams. He’s not happy about it. He made himself right at home in Toronto – he has family here and is involved with several organizations in the area. But he just doesn’t fit in the existing line up and TFC need to clear cap space for this summer. He has ability – it shouldn’t take too long. A goal tender may be on the way out as well. But it’s hard to find a home for net keepers in the MLS, at present. So this may be less likely.

As usual, please do not use my contact info.

Jamaicanadian
05-25-2009, 02:03 PM
Ricketts is like Stan Collymore, but without the "mean prick" part...............

This time you're the one thinking too much.....
You dont usually make such gimbiacish statements LOL!

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:05 PM
glad that big bruva is not here.....else, we'd all be bombarding him with messages.

Jamaicanadian
05-25-2009, 02:06 PM
He prolly wouldn't respond...

Ladies Love Julius James
05-25-2009, 02:08 PM
He'll probably sell Ricketts is leaving jerseys LOL

elvis
I love the guy's energy on the pitch but why keep a guy who's not playing?

Inklink
Disappointed to read that. But that's very unprofessional of him. I've always thought of Rohan as a classy, respectable/respectful guy, so this is kind of out of character for him.

DangerRed
Wow - he's done for sure. You don't post stuff like this in public without permission from the club unless you've totally stopped giving a shit and/or are on your way out.

Too bad so sad, I guess. The guy's seen like 3 minutes of playing time since the start of the season and the biggest thing about him is his mouth. Time to shuffle him off and use his spot for a producer to augment the team.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
Ricketts is like Stan Collymore, but without the "mean prick" part.

He acts like a headcase. He has talent up the ying-yang, can dance circles around people with a football, but he thinks too much. He thinks too much about his image. He thinks too much about MLS. He thinks too much about the guy who's about to try and tackle him.

Thinking is bad for the ball club.

When we were first looking at signing him, I started a thread entitled "Rohan Ricketts will turn heads weekly" or something like that; it was cheered my by many, although I knew he had this rep before he got here. Barnsley fans, where some good foot skills cuts you little slack, were merciless about his lack of seriousness or killer instinct.

About two weeks later, I took stick from Ricketts' cousin on here for suggesting he stop trying to score and concentrate on the fundamentals, stop trying to be the hero. Telling a winger to stop trying to score was, in his eyes, the height of foolishness.

I'd just like to point out now that if Rohan Ricketts leaves, it will be at least in part because he listens to bad advice: his own ego, his own self-doubt, and the people who surround him with adoration, even as he forgets that he has some pretty basic football functions required of him, to get behind defenders and cross the ball accurately.

His fans, going right back to Tottenham, have been telling him that for years. He didn't listen then, so I don't know why I expected him to listen here. Wishful thinking, I guess.

In the end, he's Laurent Robert part II, with a slightly better shelf life. Perhaps Mo has learned from this, although he'd probably argue that 44 games, these days, isn't a bad run.

well put, and exactly right. I was one of the ones disagreeing with you on that thread - but I do in fact stand corrected :cool:

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:11 PM
This has probably been going on for awhile, probably reached the boiling point.

Jamaicanadian - I don't think he will either....He is probably getting ready to enjoy champs league.

DangerRed
05-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Oh and just for those wondering, Ricketts' salary for 2009 is $165,000.

Source: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/3_15_09_salary_info_alpha.pdf

ua-kozak_TFC
05-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Wow - he's done for sure. You don't post stuff like this in public without permission from the club unless you've totally stopped giving a shit and/or are on your way out.

Too bad so sad, I guess. The guy's seen like 3 minutes of playing time since the start of the season and the biggest thing about him is his mouth. Time to shuffle him off and use his spot for a producer to augment the team.

:scarf::scarf::scarf:
more like 300 minutes i believe...which is almost 30% of total minutes played by TFC this yea.... soStop creating excuses.. he had more than enough time to show what he can do... which beside "rolling with rickets" is not much...

Arnie Knows
05-25-2009, 02:14 PM
I think he is being shipped out of town becasue of those Cheesy boot commercials..

Ouchh

TFC OZZ
05-25-2009, 02:15 PM
It's inappropriate, because it's probably part of his contract. Players are not allowed to unilaterally announce moves, it's just common sense. Trades are part of life as an athelete, it's what you signed on for, you can't throw a fit when it happens.

QFT, exactly what I was going to say.

Roogsy
Dunno why we'd dump on the guy though.

He scored 4 goals for us last year, when goals were few and far between.

He made himself available to all fans, young and old alike.

He wanted to win something with TFC.

Yeah, he promoted himself...like other players do. Why would I have a problem with that? I don't get what that has to do with his work on the team. I keep reading people say "concentrate on your work on the pitch and not on self promotion" and I am wondering why both couldn't be done?

With all of that put forth...what reason would I have to be upset with the guy? It's not like he demanded a trade out of town like other players have. It's not like he didn't play disinterested like other players did. It's not like he didn't like being here and was hoping to stay.

If anything, I am sad he is leaving. You guys can trash the guy all you want...he was dedicated to the TFC cause, he wanted to live in my city and he wanted to be a part of the fabric of TFC. And now they are making him leave and he is upset and you guys don't understand that?

That's just cold.

ua-kozak_TFC
Oh and just for those wondering, Ricketts' salary for 2009 is $165,000.

Source: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/3_15_09_salary_info_alpha.pdf
that is about 100k over payed accoring to the game he shows on the field...

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 02:16 PM
more like 300 minutes i believe...which is almost 30% of total minutes played by TFC this yea.... soStop creating excuses.. he had more than enough time to show what he can do... which beside "rolling with rickets" is not much...

I'd like to see the stats on that. There is no way Ricketts has played 30% of total playing time this year.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:19 PM

Yeah, he promoted himself...like other players do. Why would I have a problem with that? I don't get what that has to do with his work on the team. I keep reading people say "concentrate on your work on the pitch and not on self promotion" and I am wondering why both couldn't be done?

With all of that put forth...what reason would I have to be upset with the guy? It's not like he demanded a trade out of town like other players have. It's not like he didn't play disinterested like other players did. It's not like he didn't like being here and was hoping to stay.

If anything, I am sad he is leaving. You guys can trash the guy all you want...he was dedicated to the TFC cause, he wanted to live in my city and he wanted to be a part of the fabric of TFC. And now they are making him leave and he is upset and you guys don't understand that?

That's just cold.

people need to dump on somebody.......once Cunny left, people wanted someone else to dump on. Now watch, when RR leaves, people will shift focus to Barrett, maybe Guevara if he has 2 or 3 bad games. Didn't people also get on Robbo last year?

I know where you are coming from on your comments.

werewolf
233 of 990, 23.5%.

Jamaicanadian
He'll probably sell Ricketts is leaving jerseys LOL

That made me laugh!!

For the record...I don't think the guy got a shot this year...this is the nature of pro sports....I totally understand the criticism of his on the field play but don't understand the criticism for his off field display, unless his persona just rubbed one the wrong way.....

No doubt Nuvinho LOL!

ua-kozak_TFC

That's just cold.
All you have mentioned pretty much.. is that he's a nice guy... and that he;s happy here and that he scored 4 goals... In his position goals don;t matter I would ratehr him score 0 and play well... IT ALL comes down to his performance on the field... And iam sorry but being a "nice" guy
doesn;t win you the cup...

Chewy Unikronik
05-25-2009, 02:20 PM
...says the the dude posting on online forums
Umm... I fail to see the correlation, but that's just me.

I'm not obsessing about the lives of others, or hanging of every action or thought.

This is an interactive forum, where people have discussions on multiple topics, but to each his own.

DangerRed
05-25-2009, 02:21 PM
I'd like to see the stats on that. There is no way Ricketts has played 30% of total playing time this year.

You're obviously right. Don't think UA understood exactly what I was posting.

As to your other comments about being cold to Ricketts and dumping on him as a player, I guess from where I sit there's no problem promoting yourself as long as you're producing. But if you're not playing and/or scoring and your mouth keeps flapping to the press, you start looking like an a**hole really really quick.

DR

TFC OZZ
05-25-2009, 02:21 PM

agreed, not a chance.

Darlofletch
05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Bit of a shame if this is the end.

I obviously don't know him personally, and his charity work suggest he's a decent bloke. Looking at his twitter page now with all his pro lakers and man u crap, and his gloating at newcastle and middlesbrough going down suggests he's just another gloryhunter which doesn't endear him to me. But it's Ricketts the media personality that annoys the crap out of me (just my personal opinion, which i'm sure means absolutely nothing to him, and quite rightly too). His blogs, with their yo yo yo what's poppin'? and incessant usage of exclamation marks were awful, but easily avoidable, but then that commercial that's on gol tv all the time. urgh (again, just my opinion).

I'd happily overlook all that crap if he was doing the business on the field, but he just wasn't, a few good games and flashes of promise just aren't enough. I think if he stays, there'll probably be injuries and international call ups that might give him a chance to get some playing time, but I'd suggest he's currently 7th in line for one of the 4 attacking spots our current formation gives, so not worth the cap space unfortunately.

Good luck to him if he does move on, hopefully he'll figure out what he needs to do to cut it in pro football for any length of time.

Don Julio
05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
MELTDOWN!

Rohan has not done nothing wrong apart from play under par early season

Again, from his bitter Twitter, his career's down the shitter.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:23 PM
This thread is going nowhere fast!!!!!

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 02:23 PM
All you have mentioned pretty much.. is that he's a nice guy... and that he;s happy here and that he scored 4 goals... In his position goals don;t matter I would ratehr him score 0 and play well... IT ALL comes down to his performance on the field... And iam sorry but being a "nice" guy
doesn;t win you the cup...

And yet his being a nice guy is exactly what people are criticizing here.

Did he have complete brain farts when faced with one on one situations like Barrett? No.

Did he cost us 2 PKs like Wynne, which led directly to dropping 4 points? No.

Did most of his minutes that Werewolf quoted (not even close to 30% of playing time FYI) come in garbage time at the end of games without anywhere near the starting lineup to play alongside with? Yes.

And yet we look to RR as somehow being the biggest problem on this team? I hardly think so.

Where exactly was his chance to "show" anything as is being purported on this board?

I am beginning to think Nuvinho is right...we just need someone to dump on and now it happens to be RR. Once he gone, we will see who is next to be strung up irrationally on this board.

Especially this summer when the call ups start and our depth starts being an issue like it has been for 2 summers and the team starts shitting the bed. Maybe it is good he not be around for that.

FluSH
05-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Man... I think Rohan deserves some playing time... I mean a least let's see what he can do with this new squad... we haven't seen much of Ricketts this season.

DangerRed
people need to dump on somebody.......once Cunny left, people wanted someone else to dump on. Now watch, when RR leaves, people will shift focus to Barrett, maybe Guevara if he has 2 or 3 bad games. Didn't people also get on Robbo last year?

I know where you are coming from on your comments.

Shift focus? People -- myself included -- have been whaling on Barrett since three or four games into the season. He deserves it, too, since this far along we shouldn't even be talking about "learning to finish my chances." The guy gets paid to finish. That's like a cabbie who's been driving for ages telling his passenger that he's "learning the city."

But back on topic, I'm not beating up on Ricketts too much but I want to see who they get to fill his spot. Could be exciting, especially if we clean out a 'keeper as well.

Oblio2
I like RR and think he's a good player. When his head is in the game.
He just needs a kick up the ass......

Come on RR

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 02:25 PM

That's just cold.

speaking for myself,
I only pointed out that it seemed unusual to post his feelings in a public forum.
I'm not saying it's wrong for him to feel upset.

I have always liked Ricketts... more for his enthusiasm and not so much for the finishing.

Perhaps he just needs the right teammate with him.
I hope he does well wherever he ends up.

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2009, 02:26 PM
It's pretty clear from his latest Twitter message, that he's caught wind of people talking about him. Possibly here. I wouldn't be surprised.

If Rohan leaves, I'll miss him. He didn't impress early this season, but my opinion is basically in line with Roogsy's.

He deserved more of a shot, and he might have been indispensible during the international call-up period coming up.

Cared about the team, cared about the fans, and had a few great games for the team. He doesn't deserve to be dumped on.

- Scott

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:30 PM
again.........we have no clue what lead to these twitter messages today!

Don Julio
It's pretty clear from his latest Twitter message, that he's caught wind of people talking about him. Possibly here. I wouldn't be surprised.

- Scott

You can bet your bottom dollar that Ricketts reads this board religiously.

ua-kozak_TFC
agreed, not a chance.
I said ALMOST and i was OFF but only by just over by 6.5% he;s actually 23.5%(werewolf)... big differece... 5% off would be just over one half of a game don;t think that him playing a half woudl change anything...

Beach_Red
05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
He deserved more of a shot,

Why do people feel he wasn't given a shot? He had two coaches and niether one wanted to start him. He had plenty of time in practise to show them both.

I agree there's no reason to dump on him, he seems like a decent guy.

And I hope he gets another job - just not in MLS because that could come back to bite us in the ass.

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
Statistically, you were off by 21.67% which is a large margin of error.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:32 PM
I am beginning to think Nuvinho is right...we just need someone to dump on and now it happens to be RR. Once he gone, we will see who is next to be strung up irrationally on this board.

oh I forgot Vitti........$300K.....let's dump on him after RR leaves!!! hahaha!!!!

We should have a poll on who is TFC's new whipping boy!!!

FluSH
05-25-2009, 02:34 PM
I like Rohan, but this kind of stuff is inappropriate. You guys need to remember that this is just Rohan's point of view, and take it with a grain of salt. Anyone remember the reports not to long ago about ROHAN ASKING TO BE TRADED TO NEW YORK? I'm not impressed by this, and I would like to hear the real story from both sides (although that will likely never happen).

In these times of twitter and facebook I won't be surprised if more players don't do this. It's a way to backlash in desperation... The media are not asking Cummins what his plans for Ricketts are, and the media are not interviewing Ricketts. I don't think he's said anthing out of line... just the mere fact that he doesn't like sitting on the bench collecting a paycheque... let's be real he came here to play one way or another.

Damien
05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
RR + Edwards for a decent striker?

oldmanken
05-25-2009, 02:36 PM
Posting about RR's character and off-field persona are a bit off base. Those things are technically irrelevant, and he has done a lot of good community work.

However, from a club perspective there is a very good reason to deal him. He hasn't performed well, and some limitations in his game are visible. He's also taking up a lot of allocation space which could be used more wisely to address the teams needs.

This shouldn't be discussed as a personal issue, and should instead be looked at purely from a footballing perspective. The management are obviously looking at it that way, and so should the fans. At the very least, we should be respectful.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-25-2009, 02:37 PM
Man... I think Rohan deserves some playing time... I mean a least let's see what he can do with this new squad... we haven't seen much of Ricketts this season.

agreed..he deserves some playing time...and depending on how many players we lose during wcq/gold cup this summer, he should get his chance..my beef with cummins is when there was 15 -20 to go with NE,
he should have taken DeRo off, with the game decided and deRos harted of the pitch, rest him for Houston and Give Ricketts a run out to see what he could do....come on Chris use you bench right!!

sully
From the tone..I think Ricketts has had a few early drinks today...

Roogsy
Over a third of the way into the season and he's played nothing but garbage minutes and said very little other than the expected media quotes of "being ready and wanting to play".

So finally he says something when things look bleak and we forget all the rest of the professionalism he has shown until now and crap on him because he finally expresses himself.

Lesson learned.

Hey...TFC handlers...first thing to teach your players is to forget about being open and accessible to the fans. It's a mistake. We don't want it. We'll just crap all over you first chance we get. It's what we deserve.

Oldtimer
05-25-2009, 02:38 PM
That's just cold.

Mo is ruthless. Just ask Esky.

FluSH
You gotta give the man a chance to fail... give him some decent minutes... if he fails on his own then that's that... but to give a man no chance at all... when others have gotten plenty is not right.

Nuvinho
This will be an interesting next few days......

ua-kozak_TFC
05-25-2009, 02:39 PM
[quote=Roogsy;533861]

Did most of his minutes that Werewolf quoted (not even close to 30% of playing time FYI) come in garbage time at the end of games without anywhere near the starting lineup to play alongside with? Yes.

[quote]
we.. if you want we can count only the game he has started without garbage minutes... 3/11 you do the math.....

I think you are missing the point here... If we don;t see future in this guy and he doesn;t produce then why not let him go?? what;s wrong with that?? Barret is a different story and if RR put as much balls on the field as does Barett no body would say a word.. RR is the biggest Hog always wants to be the "HERO". he doesn;t think about the team first he just wants to dribble and score from the wing so people can say how great he is...

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:39 PM
Mo is ruthless. Just ask Esky.

I think a few others from the 1st year will also agree with Esky.

AL-MO
05-25-2009, 02:40 PM
See ya later Rohan. Nice to know ya. :cool:

(you too BB)

Boudge
I agree to a certain extent, what we do know is that he wanted to win here and stay in T dot. Has done a ton of community/charity work and that was awesome of him. Don't agree with the bad mouthing of the guy. Just want to see some cap room cleared up and a new player who can finish on the way over if possible.

Good Luck Rohan

Posting about RR's character and off-field persona are a bit off base. Those things are technically irrelevant, and he has done a lot of good community work.

Nuvinho
See ya later Rohan. Nice to know ya. :cool:

(you too BB)

BB will still be around.

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 02:41 PM
You gotta give the man a chance to fail... give him some minutes if he fails on his own then that's that... but to give a man no chance at all... when others have gotten plenty is not right.

This is the part that bugs me.

If he had started 2, 3 games and absolutely shit the bed like some of our players have...I'd understand wanting to ship him out.

But these claims that he was given a chance this year when he really wasn't is tacitly unfair. And yeah, maybe I am a little biased because I like the guy, but my first interest is in the club and I genuinely think RR had something to give and here we are giving up a genuine talent because...

because...

Shoot...somebody explain it to me because I don't understand. If we want players making $50k as our subs at the 75th minute...expect a rough end to this season. A footballer making $165k is reasonable, especially one with the pedigree that RR has. It's the kind of depth we need. And we are just going to pass it up because the guy made a cheesy commercial...give me a break.

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 02:42 PM
You gotta give the man a chance to fail... give him some decent minutes... if he fails on his own then that's that... but to give a man no chance at all... when others have gotten plenty is not right.

FluSH... the reality is, the coaching staff decide who are the best 11 for each game.

It's not so much about "what is fair"

But the best thing of course would be to trade a player, or allow him to move on, if he is not fitting into the teams plans.

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 02:43 PM
FluSH... the reality is, the coaching staff decide who are the best 11 for each game.

It's not so much about "what is fair"

But the best thing of course would be to trade a player, or allow him to move on, if he is not fitting into the teams plans.

At least this much I can agree with.

I hope he gets a chance to play elsewhere.

arbogast
05-25-2009, 02:44 PM

Shoot...somebody explain it to me because I don't understand. If we want players making $50k as our subs at the 75th minute...expect a rough end to this season. A footballer making $165k is reasonable, especially one with the pedigree that RR has. It's the kind of depth we need. And we are just going to pass it up because the guy made a cheesy commercial...give me a break.

Well said.

DOMIN8R
05-25-2009, 02:44 PM
This thread is

http://www.extracold.co.uk/images/extra-cold-beer.jpg

AL-MO
05-25-2009, 02:45 PM
BB will still be around.

Well that's a shame. :p

AL-MO
05-25-2009, 02:46 PM
I had high hopes for Ricketts. I don't think he had much of a chance this season. BUT....He seemed to get lost in the shuffle once the team started playing better.

rocker
05-25-2009, 02:48 PM
whether Rohan "deserves" more playing time isn't really the question.

the fact is, the guys who have played in the midfield have played better than he did last year. It's more of a numbers game than anything else. no hard feelings. But would I rather see him play than Guevara, Cronin, Vitti, Dero and Robinson? nope. Maybe Ibby? sure... but Ibby is a talented kid and needs a chance to play here and there. Better to give minutes to the kid if a few of those 5 are injured or whatever.

To me he's nice bench strength, which we never had before, but in this league I'm not sure you can pay a guy 165K to be a sub for when Amado is away.

jabbronies
05-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Alright, so who do you replace in the starting 11 midfield in order to give Rohan his chance?

Dero - Robinson - Cronin - Guevera

Unfortunatley for him this team is very competitive in the midfield. if he doesn't get his chance it's becuase the guys who need to screw up in order for him to crack the 11 are not doing so namely Guevera and Dero.

The only place i see him getting a chance is as a Striker. Those guys arn't doing thier job right now - Aside from Dichio - So why not slot him in there? he likes to dangle and try and score, well, lets see what he can do there.

It's either that or wait for someone to falter thier chance - wait for someone to leave on interational duty. Those are the only chances this guy has to crack the starting 11, and i don't see the first two happeneing

FluSH
05-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Did Ricketts not score during the pre-season? Charleston Cup?

Jamaicanadian
05-25-2009, 02:51 PM

Maybe management is "dumping salary"/ "making room" for an even better player that will provide more depth??!!

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 02:51 PM
Alright, so who do you replace in the starting 11 midfield in order to give Rohan his chance?

Dero - Robinson - Cronin - Guevera

Unfortunatley for him this team is very competitive in the midfield. if he doesn't get his chance it's becuase the guys who need to screw up in order for him to crack the 11 are not doing so namely Guevera and Dero.

The only place i see him getting a chance is as a Striker. Those guys arn't doing thier job right now - Aside from Dichio - So why not slot him in there? he likes to dangle and try and score, well, lets see what he can do there.

It's either that or wait for someone to falter thier chance - wait for someone to leave on interational duty. Those are the only chances this guy has to crack the starting 11, and i don't see the first two happeneing

I am of the opinion you don't mess with what is working.

We're on a nice run. Why change the starting XI?

My position has been, give him minutes once the substitution times start coming into play. For heaven's sakes, we've given HARMSE more time in midfield than Ricketts! Talk about a waste of money. Why leave your 165k player on the bench for someone who has scored twice his WHOLE career? And then I come here and read about how he has been given a chance???

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Maybe management is "dumping salary"/ "making room" for an even better player that will provide more depth??!!

We getting the Newcastle players??? hahaha!!! Owen!!!

Cambridge_Red
05-25-2009, 02:53 PM

My position has been, give him minutes once the substitution times start coming into play. For heaven's sakes, we've given HARMSE more time in midfield than Ricketts! Talk about a waste of money. Why leave your 165k player on the bench for someone who has scored twice his WHOLE career? And then I come here and read about how he has been given a chance???

Harmse as much as I dislike the guy plays a different role than RR. Simple as that. I wouldn't bring on RR to hold a lead....I think if we don't see him in Vancouver it will be Sayonara time.

FluSH
05-25-2009, 02:53 PM

Making room? Show us the EDU MONEY$$$$$$

Where is the $Edu Money$?

Give us Gra$$ give us a tent over the south end since they won't give us a roof... give us something.

Darlofletch
05-25-2009, 02:54 PM

If he had started 2, 3 games and absolutely shit the bed like some of our players have...I'd understand wanting to ship him out.....

He started the first 3 games of the season.

Admittedly he hasn't been given much of a chance since then. I thought he'd get at least one start at some point when we had so many games recently, but when Cummins decided to try Wynne on the right wing, and then went back to Barrett when Wynne had to go off injured, that really showed where Ricketts stands. If it wasn't already too late, those messages can't have helped him.

Also, just curious, who do you feel has been absolutely shitting the bed? Aside from Harmse who was being played out of position, there's no-one I can think of who's been that bad.

Oldtimer
05-25-2009, 02:54 PM
Guys, you don't have to start imagining that RR is no good.

4-3-3 = no place for RR

That alone is enough reason to move him in a salary-capped world.

When Cummins said he prefers 4-3-3, I could see RR leaving if we needed the cap space.

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Harmse as much as I dislike the guy plays a different role than RR. Simple as that. I wouldn't bring on RR to hold a lead....

Which has been a serious strategic problem for us since day one.

Trying to hold on to 1-0 leads instead of pushing for more and then getting burned.

So what do we do? Give up on an offensive player. Which is incredibly inconsistent considering how much slack the team has given Barrett.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 02:56 PM

4-3-3 = no place for RR

When Cummins said he prefers 4-3-3, I could see RR leaving if we needed the cap space.

agree, hard when of the 3 midfielders, 2 of them are CDM......so RR is the odd man out.

I am sure teams like San Jose, Dallas, etc. can use a player of his talent.

Roogsy

4-3-3 = no place for RR

This is the only argument I find acceptable and reasonable. And I can't disagree with it.

jabbronies

Right but you have to look at what Harmse is - he's a defensive player. he comes in to close down the opposition offense.

Ricketts is an attacking player - you bring him in when goals are needed, but when goals are needed - who do you take off? He's not a central defender, so it won't be Cronin or Robbo. It'll be either Dero or Guevera - that's a tough call to make late in the game - both those guys are proven goal scorers. Ricketts isn't. When do you take off a proven clutch player in order to give a guy a chance??

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 02:59 PM
Right but you have to look at what Harmse is - he's a defensive player. he comes in to close down the opposition offense.

I'd rather keep on an offensive minded team...or at least one that can come back after giving up a late goal...rather than putting Harmse on.

I don't know if Harmse has done enough to win people over. It seemed to me at the start of the season we didn't even want him in TFC colours, the guy was so prone to brain farts it would make your head spin.

But it seems the opinion here is that we'd rather see Harmse come in to help hold a 1-0 lead rather than Ricketts come on to try to press for the neckbreaker.

And there is what is wrong with this team.

In another thread we talk about what we are going to do with Guevara because a) he is getting up in years and b) he may not sign again (he has talked about going home). So here we have his 70th minute sub (as he was used last game) and we ship him out and have what left on the bench? Ibby? Ibby has potential, but the kid is still not there.

Cambridge_Red
05-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Making room? Show us the EDU MONEY$$$$$$

Where is the $Edu Money$?

Give us Gra$$ give us a tent over the south end since they won't give us a roof... give us something.

Some of that money is being used for an indoor facility so I've heard..

Oldtimer
05-25-2009, 03:02 PM
Pro football is nasty on the business side.

Boudge
05-25-2009, 03:03 PM
[quote=Roogsy;533960]And there is what is wrong with this team./quote]

In your opinion, personally if we can shut down other teams when we have a 1-0 lead and wait for a possible counter attack to score the second. That is fine with me

Cambridge_Red
05-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Which has been a serious strategic problem for us since day one.

Trying to hold on to 1-0 leads instead of pushing for more and then getting burned.

So what do we do? Give up on an offensive player. Which is incredibly inconsistent considering how much slack the team has given Barrett.

Harmse has done a decent role in that job this season IMO, RR is more likely to cough the ball up on one of those "runs" he goes on. RR is a nice guy but with our current formation he doesn't fit in. The decision to play Cronin wide with DeRo was the end for him. Cronin isn't flashy but hes a hell of a lot more consistent. I do agree we should be focusing on increasing leads but its hardly been our forte this year.

DOMIN8R
Of course, this thread will be even more interesting, from an archivists perspective, if he ends up staying and getting playing time because of an injury or other:p

C.Ronaldo
no doubt, ricketts should have been put in.

not like hes bad defensively

The_Brace
Not entirely suprising. Producing a hot and cold play example on the field isn't going to help your cause much. Take care RR its been interesting.

TFC OZZ
05-25-2009, 03:06 PM
In these times of twitter and facebook I won't be surprised if more players don't do this. It's a way to backlash in desperation... The media are not asking Cummins what his plans for Ricketts are, and the media are not interviewing Ricketts. I don't think he's said anthing out of line... just the mere fact that he doesn't like sitting on the bench collecting a paycheque... let's be real he came here to play one way or another.

I do. I agree that in this age with facebook and Twitter etc. this kind of thing will happen more frequently, but that doesn't make it any more correct. He's under contract, and I think it's likely that he's not supposed to talk about his contract status unless it's to his employers.

"What do u do when your not wanted and someone wants u leave but they wanna try and trade u behind your back then ask u to walk 4 free.. Nuts"

How do we have any idea that this is true? For all we know, he could be doing this to try and gain some leverage by causing the fans to feel bad for him or some other motive. I'm not saying that's the case, I'm just saying it could be true. There's a reason players aren't allowed to be contacted by agents and vica versa, and aren't supposed to talk about their deals outside of their corporation.

As I mentioned earlier, does anyone remember the rumors that Rohan wanted to be traded to NYRB a while back?? I searched but couldn't find the exact thread.

All I'm trying to say, is he's under contract to MLSE, I don't care if he's been mistreated or not, this is NOT the way to deal with it. That's not saying that I don't care about him, I like him, he's a good player and good for the community, but this is just not the way to go about things.

Cambridge_Red
05-25-2009, 03:07 PM
Of course, this thread will be even more interesting, from an archivists perspective, if he ends up staying and getting playing time because of an injury or other:p

Ha true, but this is now and our system is working for the most part...

wzhxvy
05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
Ok sorry for another analogy but this is like watching a guy self destruct after a bad breakup. I hope RR doesnt embarass himself...after all this is his life that is on the line. I hope he lands on his feet. That is why my facebook name is Hugh Jorgin.

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 03:10 PM
In your opinion, personally if we can shut down other teams when we have a 1-0 lead and wait for a possible counter attack to score the second. That is fine with me

If anything, we have shown that we simply can't do that. Holding leads is by far what we do worst and I can't remember the last counterattack we played effectively. Our game is about building pressure, plain and simple.

So we should go back to what didn't work?

Trying the 4-3-3 and keeping and offensive team on the pitch is exactly the newer kind of thinking we needed (and credit to Cummins for that), so going back to the defensive minded sit and wait scenario makes me sick to my stomach.

Oldtimer
05-25-2009, 03:18 PM
Freeing up space for...

Pozniak!!!! :p

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 03:18 PM
^ translation: one step forwards two steps backward ;)

jabbronies
05-25-2009, 03:23 PM
no doubt, ricketts should have been put in.

not like hes bad defensively

When he looses the ball up high - which is a good 80% of the time - he doesn't track back. Do we really want a counter attack with 1 guy caught up high?? that's what happens when he's on.

when RR looses the ball, it looks like he gives up. not critisizing, just observations. All attacking players do that. His Defensive abilities are almost non existant

Hitcho
05-25-2009, 03:24 PM

Not sure I agree with that. First off, we don't know what he's been like in training - he may not even deserve a chance in the team based on that. Secondly, he doesn't really fit into the system we're playing rigth now, and that system is working pretty well for us, so why risk crashing it to gve one player a chance? Thirdly, in my opinion RR has done nothing but flatter to deceive ever since he joined the team. He's had one good game and been good for patches of others, but the rest has been mutterings about "potential".

I'm not saying RR can't come good and to be honest I've always hoped he would because a fast, dangerous winger is a huge asset to any team, but there comes a point where you have to stop hoping and taking a punt that THIS game he'll be better. I guess Cummins has reached that point.

Losing RR will free upquite a bit of cap space. Add in Sutton's salary and you could fit quite a decent player in there by MLS standards. (Not saying I want to get rid of Sutton, I want him to stay, but from a purely mathematical point of view, it;s an interesting thought).

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 03:26 PM
Like the ghostbusters, something strange in your neighbourhood:

rohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts)This is a message from Rohan... It was not me who was sending out those messages prior to this one!! I apologise to anyone who was offended!2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/1915925313) from web

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Like the ghostbusters, something strang in your neighbourhood:

rohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts)This is a message from Rohan... It was not me who was sending out those messages prior to this one!! I apologise to anyone who was offended!2 minutes ago (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/1915925313) from web

I was wondering whether or not it was someone in his group that had access to Twitter. 3rd person, 1st person...it wasn't consistent.

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 03:29 PM
I was wondering whether or not it was someone in his group that had access to Twitter. 3rd person, 1st person...it wasn't consistent.

damn agents!!!! j/k!!

I have no clue what is going on!!!

Ratven
05-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Completely unrelated to Ricketts... my Twitter was just messed with too, apparently I sent out Acai berry advertisement spam like an hour ago, and...well, I definitely didn't.

dantdot
05-25-2009, 03:35 PM

S1w1A3n-Eww

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 03:35 PM

as per Mo :o

Hitcho
05-25-2009, 03:36 PM
When he looses the ball up high - which is a good 80% of the time - he doesn't track back. Do we really want a counter attack with 1 guy caught up high?? that's what happens when he's on.

when RR looses the ball, it looks like he gives up. not critisizing, just observations. All attacking players do that. His Defensive abilities are almost non existant

Agreed. Compare that to Amado, who in my opinion works his ass off defensively for a creative attacking player. You can quite oftens ee Guevara in and around our own box helping out (although some if his tackling isn't the best, but that's not the point or the main thrust of his game).

I wouldn't be concerned if we released RR, but for the sake of our squad depth we really need to bring in another decent starting option on the roster if he does go.

wzhxvy
05-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Uhuh...if you guys believe that...then good luck !

Probably someone told him to cease/desist and that he could be in breach of his contract if he doesnt back out of the statements...sure sure..someone hacked into his twitter because its RR after all lol I mean if someone hacked into Larry King's I would say maybe..but RR...PALLLEEEEASSSE

Don Julio
05-25-2009, 03:37 PM
lol either way!

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
lol either way!

yeah.....we just spent an afternoon talking about twitter updates.....hahaha!!!

Roogsy
05-25-2009, 03:38 PM
^ Um...nobody said "hacked". I know for a fact that some players have several people with access to their "marketing" tools such as Myspace, Facebook and Twitter.

But I do agree it is plausible someone told him to cut it out. It was a really bad idea putting that stuff up there.

wzhxvy
05-25-2009, 03:39 PM
"Oh sorry honey, someone hacked into my Blackberry and sent those dirty text message to this lady at work"...I mean seriously...this is funny.

Here is a Banner:

Twitter
Login:
Password:

DOMIN8R
05-25-2009, 03:40 PM
as per Mo :o

You got that right:p Someone got their hand slapped.

The better question that this thread should have addressed is "What should be done with RR?"

Do we keep him or do we clear the space for something we need?

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 03:40 PM
But I do agree it is plausible someone told him to cut it out. It was a really bad idea putting that stuff up there.

MoJo is everywhere, he see's everything, hears everyone!!!

DOMIN8R
05-25-2009, 03:44 PM
http://ameliatorode.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451c00a69e2010536cd3a92970c-800wi

DangerRed
05-25-2009, 03:45 PM
Latest from Ricketts' Twitter: "What was written was total garbage. Speculation!! Garbage"

http://twitter.com/rohanricketts

EDIT: I don't know if I'm buying it. It's possible someone's told him to shut the eff up because it was unprofessional. See the MLS Rumours.net story on this same player being shopped around with a deal possible by the weekend.

SanStarko
05-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Cummins has a style of football that he likes to play. Ricketts doesn't appear to fit into that style. So Ricketts gets shipped out and Cummins can bring someone in who does suit the style of football he likes to play.

Seems pretty straight forward to me.

wzhxvy
05-25-2009, 03:47 PM
Maybe he should get off twitter for a bit...just saying...

Somehow he and this mysterious Twitter culprit have the same tendency to update their twitter regularly

Shway
05-25-2009, 03:51 PM
KEEP RICKETTS!

cut his salaray!
(100K)

sulfur
05-25-2009, 03:53 PM
See the MLS Rumours.net story on this same player being shopped around with a deal possible by the weekend.
guaranteed that's someone starting a lovely story based on the twitter updates.

like 90% of the other rumours that show up on there.

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
^ nah that site has gotten a lot better than is given credit for on this forum

it's a rumour site - and given that my thinking is that it's got a relatively good strike rate

Kevvv
05-25-2009, 03:58 PM
bazaar

http://www.sights-and-culture.com/Turkey/Istanbul-Bazaar-5491.jpg

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 03:59 PM
^
it's a rumour site - and given that my thinking is that it's got a relatively good strike rate

better than Cunny's strike rate? hahaha!!!

Inklink
05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
LOL! Maybe Cummins called him and said "OKAY! You're getting the start this weekend!" and his mood changed :P .

BTW: Why doesn't he delete the previous comments if it wasn't him? Or can you not do that on Twitter?

Shway
05-25-2009, 04:07 PM
i agreee

Stryker
05-25-2009, 04:09 PM
Theres always clothing lines and shoe commercials to fall back on.

Pachuco
05-25-2009, 04:09 PM
This entire thread makes me laugh. All this based on Twitter and MLS-Rumours? are you all for real? Heck, it sure does make for some entertaining reading though.

Pachuco
05-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Oh, Ricketts will get his chance. For those of you assuming we'll have no injuries or absences in the midfield for the rest of the season think again. Hell, next home game he could very well get a start or atleast some decent playing minutes with Guevara and Wynne out.

wzhxvy
05-25-2009, 04:12 PM
Theres always clothing lines and shoe commercials to fall back on.

Not if you pronounce Puma like that man lol

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 04:12 PM
better than Cunny's strike rate? hahaha!!!

from twitter:

https://assets1.twitter.com/images/white.pngmlsrumors (https://twitter.com/mlsrumors)Yes Rohan, we are better than Cunny's strike rate. ;)5 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/mlsrumors/status/1916327325) from web

wzhxvy
05-25-2009, 04:13 PM
This entire thread makes me laugh. All this based on Twitter and MLS-Rumours? are you all for real? Heck, it sure does make for some entertaining reading though.

Well it comes from the man's twitter...its hard to ignore. But you must be the only guy who believes it wasnt him so there you go, RR has you on his side.

TorontoBlades
05-25-2009, 04:15 PM
especially since the "fake" Rohan had time to praise Burnley in between those dodgy tweets

...did I mention I hate Burnley (they're on my blacklist now with Wednesday, West Ham, Leeds and Tevez)

Stryker
Not if you pronounce Puma like that man lol
No he got it right.

http://www.pirma.ca/

sulfur
from twitter:

https://assets1.twitter.com/images/white.pngmlsrumors (https://twitter.com/mlsrumors)Yes Rohan, we are better than Cunny's strike rate. ;)5 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/mlsrumors/status/1916327325) from web

Just goes to show... their "email" is reading the RPB boards. :)

wzhxvy
05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
No he got it right.

http://www.pirma.ca/

Sorry that was not me typing that...my RPB account was hijacked. Of course I knew it was PIRMA..sorry for those offended.

DOMIN8R
05-25-2009, 04:20 PM
Still, MLSRumours has broken quite a few stories. It reminds me of those "tell me your secret" websites, only for those who think they have inside MLS information.

DOMIN8R
05-25-2009, 04:22 PM
This is a message from Dom... It was not me who was sending out those posts prior to this one!! I apologise to anyone who was offended!

rocker
05-25-2009, 04:22 PM
if someone else got ahold of his Twitter, Rohan better give the person a beat down. Cuz that's some pretty dangerous stuff to send out to hundreds of people, if it's not true. the person obviously knew the position Rohan is in on the team, the possibilities of being traded in MLS or being released. It's not somebody with no knowledge of how things work. He needs to be more careful with his buddies.

It's one thing for a buddy to write "I'm such a loser, ain't I?" or "I love the Columbus Crew!!!" but that other stuff isn't really a joke, particularly since it was done in a number of twitter posts.

DOMIN8R
05-25-2009, 04:25 PM
if someone else got ahold of his Twitter, Rohan better give the person a beat down. Cuz that's some pretty dangerous stuff to send out to hundreds of people, if it's not true. the person obviously knew the position Rohan is in on the team, the possibilities of being traded in MLS or being released. It's not somebody with no knowledge of how things work. He needs to be more careful with his buddies.

It's one thing for a buddy to write "I'm such a loser, ain't I?" or "I love the Columbus Crew!!!" but that other stuff isn't really a joke, particularly since it was done in a number of twitter posts.

and over ~2 hours. Please.:rolleyes:

Stryker
05-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Someone else wrote that.
Gee I've never heard that before after someone made an arse of themselves on the internet.

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2009, 04:44 PM
The fact that he refers to himself in the 3rd person in one of his tweets, leads me to think it was likely a friend who got a hold of his cellphone or something.

Of course, that would also mean these are all things he's complaining about in private.

- Scott

VoxPopuliCosmicum
05-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Rohan - Though we may never again embrace, we'll always have the Colorado game.

http://redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=85&pictureid=377

Yohan
05-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Completely unrelated to Ricketts... my Twitter was just messed with too, apparently I sent out Acai berry advertisement spam like an hour ago, and...well, I definitely didn't.
completely unrelated, I think this Acai berry shit actually works

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 04:49 PM
why is mls-rumors answering my question about Cunny....hahaha!!!

Nuvinho
05-25-2009, 06:47 PM
mls-rumors is reading everything on here......... I think jokingly I mentioned his agent may of wrote it. This is from mlsrumors twitter:

@rohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts) Yeah right man. We know it was you. Your agent didn't type it. You did.about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/mlsrumors/status/1917118230) from web in reply to rohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/1915956384)

gtaguy
05-25-2009, 06:56 PM
when RR was in his game he was good and entertaining to watch.. However those were few and far between and to a club that is looking at the big picture (getting a playoff spot) I don't think RR was cutting it..
As for media attention this guy is one hell of a PR man but he needed to decide what his career goal is ..

I think with his comments hes commiting career suicide.. At best maybe this is what hes looking for ..
Good luck to RR but im am surely glad that the new intrim coach sees beyond the pretty plays and the PR crap and put him in his place..
Maurice Edu is one of those exemplary players that fought his way to the starting squad and made the best of his chances..

in soccer you have a few chances to prove yourself .. He came over from Europe . has been at best average why keep him when you could reclaim a spot for the team and move on to a better and brighter future with some young guy....
sorry if i piss of someone but footy is a sport not a
popularity contest and i see RR going down much like Laurent Robert..

TFCRegina
05-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Oh well. I never really liked Ricketts as a player. Seemed like a great guy and everything, and I thought he was funny and all that, but I felt his play was always sub par.

Pachuco
05-25-2009, 07:01 PM
mls-rumors is reading everything on here......... I think jokingly I mentioned his agent may of wrote it. This is from mlsrumors twitter:

@rohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts) Yeah right man. We know it was you. Your agent didn't type it. You did.about 1 hour ago (http://twitter.com/mlsrumors/status/1917118230) from web in reply to rohanricketts (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/1915956384)

Isn't it a bit childish of MLS-Rumours to go and type that shit? I mean, they lose all credibility when they do shit like that. What the fuck do they know. Their sources are unknow people to them that send them emails. And they admit those are their sources. fuck this website is a hell of a better source then that crappy site.

gtaguy
05-25-2009, 07:13 PM
how do you think the rumors start.. Let alone the ontario region is one of the largest areas that seem to click on to the mls rumors..
This is called data mining thats what makes these guys the vultures of the mls...

Boudge
05-25-2009, 07:55 PM
This thread is making me want to join twitter also

Don Julio do you secretly work for twitter???

:P

Oldtimer
05-25-2009, 07:59 PM
from the Twitter:

Rohan has not done nothing wrong apart from play under par early seasonC'mon, Rohan didn't write that! For one, he wouldn't write "Rohan," he would write "I." Secondly, he doesn't seem like the guy to put down himself.

Pachuco
05-25-2009, 08:14 PM
from the Twitter:

C'mon, Rohan didn't write that! For one, he wouldn't write "Rohan," he would write "I." Secondly, he doesn't seem like the guy to put down himself.

Seriously, unless Rohan got drunk and started typing in a completely different manner then that wasn't him. Some here know all though, so no sense in arguing.

Jack
05-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I bet Big Bruva is running that Twitter

Isn't it a bit childish of MLS-Rumours to go and type that shit? I mean, they lose all credibility when they do shit like that. What the fuck do they know. Their sources are unknow people to them that send them emails. And they admit those are their sources. fuck this website is a hell of a better source then that crappy site.
MLS Rumors is a joke. Good for a laugh and that's it.

wzhxvy
05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
I am sure when Rohan is traded or released it will all be one huge coincidence...absolutely nothing to do with this.

Fushida
05-25-2009, 08:36 PM
The foundation of that site is to just post anything and EVERYTHING it sees, and then of course some HAVE to be true ;) then they rave about getting the story right :rolleyes:

ensco
05-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Let's go easy on Rohan, whatever happened. I was never that enamoured with his overall game, but it's obviously very difficult to sign effective internationals in this league. For every Dichio or Schelotto, it seems there are 10 Welsh/Robert/Deuchar/Frankowskis.

RR has gone from being a player that people thought might get capped by England, to the end of the TFC bench (aka world football siberia), in what must seem like a very short time.

His ship came in, and sank in the harbour. Who wouldn't have trouble coping with it?

My heart goes out to guys like this. The game is all they know. Most of them have serious trouble adjusting when they're done. Here's hoping he gets his game back, here or elsewhere, and if not, I hope he can be one of the guys that puts it together off the field.

nascarguy
05-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Isn't it a bit childish of MLS-Rumours to go and type that shit? I mean, they lose all credibility when they do shit like that. What the fuck do they know. Their sources are unknow people to them that send them emails. And they admit those are their sources. fuck this website is a hell of a better source then that crappy site.it's mls rumours was never credibility to being with.

now that we know that this is not real can the mod close this thread

ensco
05-25-2009, 09:53 PM
sad to say, mls rumours broke the DeRo trade

jloome
05-25-2009, 10:02 PM
This time you're the one thinking too much.....
You dont usually make such gimbiacish statements LOL!

Yeah, instead of blindly supporting him because of his ethnic extraction, perhaps you might offer a reason beyond "you're acting like Giambac."

I'm aware it's not a fair comparison, as Collymore is both bipolar and violent. But the point, quite obviously, is that neither has ever been able to keep their head in the game, and when it was, both spent too much time worrying, not enough concentrating on the bloody game.

Anyone who needs proof of that just has to look at Darren Huckerby, who has a fraction of Rohan's skill on the ball, but 10-fold the competitiveness. He's done more with a simple shoulder fake his entire career than Rohan has dancing all over the bloody place.

J .
05-25-2009, 11:11 PM
He did it to himself.

Inconsistent. Flashes of brilliance that were often left with long stretches of poor play. Trying to do too much and accomplishing nothing. I liked the guy and believed in him. But he needs to search his soul if he is going to be a pro footballer. His talent is being wasted.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-25-2009, 11:13 PM
man i feel bad for this guy, sure hes not played tops lately but people turn on him quick as hell, i have no doubt hes out of TFC at this point (nothing to back it up but the situation) but i hope hes happy and settled elsewhere, poor guy has moved around enough.
I too am with Roogsy that he didnt get enough playing time this year although he was crap the few times he played id like to have seen more of him

Edit: Just read further to see that the twitters may not in fact have been his. Still suspect.

Sonny Cheeba
05-25-2009, 11:19 PM
i just lost respect for him in november after meeting him at one of the pub crawls...

i could care less if he stays now.

Dirk Diggler
05-25-2009, 11:50 PM
i just lost respect for him in november after meeting him at one of the pub crawls...

i could care less if he stays now.

Why? What happened?

twistedchinaman
05-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I like him, but he is inconsistent and has a bit of an ego. But the Twitter stuff seems very inconsistent...dunno.

Maybe the Gerba for Ricketts thing with SJ has a grain of truth? Hey Big Bruva...what say you, my man?

EAsoccer
05-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Well maybe RR should say on his twitter who actually made those statements. I think he did but is back tracking knowing his situation may change in the next few weeks and he may get a chance to show his worth. I dont even see what the big deal is, if he's unhappy with his situation, so what? Not a big deal!
But yea I would like to know who got ahold of his twitter account if it wasnt him.

Jamaicanadian
05-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Yeah, instead of blindly supporting him because of his ethnic extraction, perhaps you might offer a reason beyond "you're acting like Giambac."

I'm aware it's not a fair comparison, as Collymore is both bipolar and violent. But the point, quite obviously, is that neither has ever been able to keep their head in the game, and when it was, both spent too much time worrying, not enough concentrating on the bloody game.

Anyone who needs proof of that just has to look at Darren Huckerby, who has a fraction of Rohan's skill on the ball, but 10-fold the competitiveness. He's done more with a simple shoulder fake his entire career than Rohan has dancing all over the bloody place.

Listen Dr. Footy Phil!

My reason for calling you out regarding this issue is above in red, in your own words :o. I would go even further to call it a reckless, provactative and a not very well thought out comparison.

2nd Let me deal with this blind faith issue. If you're suggesting that I will not critisize R-double because he's of jamaican hertiage and or he is black; I suggest that you re-read my posts in this thread, you dont know many Jamaicans and you should get off your high horse...Then again maybe you're projecting, maybe you chose this inane comparison to Collymore because they share skin colour......Please do some reasearch and dont purposely take my words out of context for your own evil devices <---Is there a jounalistic word for this technique?? ;) You could have compared the guy to Beckham and stated that RR doesn't have the skill or the $$$...But you chose not to....If you're aware that its a stupid example then why use it, why the need to qualify it!

Finally, I'd like to aplologize to giambiac. You're correct I should never have disrespected him like this...Upon reflection, your post is more Cathal Kellyish than giambiacish!

Arnie Knows
05-26-2009, 08:40 AM
Wow the guy seems like a good guy RR but seriuosly he is a pro athlete .. let him go and whatever

who gives a fuck ..
he can come live in TO when he's done ..

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 08:41 AM
the comments came from his blackberry - it's states as much on twitter. if someone hacked into his computer it would have said "web" instead of "twitterberry"

..i'm just sayin....

Pachuco
05-26-2009, 08:46 AM
the comments came from his blackberry - it's states as much on twitter. if someone hacked into his computer it would have said "web" instead of "twitterberry"

..i'm just sayin....

Hate to break it to you. But your investigation is quite flawed. TwitterBerry is a piece of software ANYONE in the world can download and can install on ANY BlackBerry. So no, the comments didn't necessarily come from his blackberry.

The thing is, none of us know. What bothers me is some people (not necessarily you TorontoBlades) choose to believe that he stated the statements simply because he's on the bench and hasn't played well. That's how Toronto fans are. The guy isn't playing well, so they make it personal and decide to attack the guy. If this happened to Dichio, who would you believe? You'd believe Dichio because he's a legend around here.

I think a guy who plays for this club and has never done anything intentional to harm the team, players, fans deserves our support. In fact, off the field he's involved quite a bit in community activities so we should atleast respect him for that. Whether he is a good football player should have nothing to do with believing what the guy says.

BakaGaijin
05-26-2009, 08:56 AM
Odd how he made the following comment on May 23rd and only mentions that the most recent comments were not his:

http://assets1.twitter.com/images/white.pngIn europe there's player power in the MLS there's league power... There needs to be a balance11:07 AM May 23rd (http://twitter.com/rohanricketts/status/1895220871) from TwitterBerry (http://orangatame.com/products/twitterberry/)

Roogsy
05-26-2009, 08:59 AM
Hate to break it to you. But your investigation is quite flawed. TwitterBerry is a piece of software ANYONE in the world can download and can install on ANY BlackBerry. So no, the comments didn't necessarily come from his blackberry.

The thing is, none of us know. What bothers me is some people (not necessarily you TorontoBlades) choose to believe that he stated the statements simply because he's on the bench and hasn't played well. That's how Toronto fans are. The guy isn't playing well, so they make it personal and decide to attack the guy. If this happened to Dichio, who would you believe? You'd believe Dichio because he's a legend around here.

I think a guy who plays for this club and has never done anything intentional to harm the team, players, fans deserves our support. In fact, off the field he's involved quite a bit in community activities so we should atleast respect him for that. Whether he is a good football player should have nothing to do with believing what the guy says.

Roogsy and Pachuco agree...that says it all.

Dozitwin
05-26-2009, 09:00 AM

That's just cold.

QFT. That seems to be the guiding principal on the boards though. Praise him when he's doing well then dump on him when his form drops off with proclamations of how useless he is an always was. At the start of the season quite a few people were saying that Dichio was through and should only be used on the final 30 if at all, yet look at what he's done....

The Kingpin
05-26-2009, 09:04 AM

I lucid moment. And people do this to their own supporters as well - take a look around you... Loyalty is a thing of the past, it has become such a rare commodity.

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:06 AM
no, I know...that why I threw in the I'm just sayin

my feelings on this are this:
First and foremost - disappointment. Everyone is questioning why he doesn't get more time, but there's obviously no vendetta against him by the club. he makes a realtive high wage and if anything he would have preference for the XI. Therefore, my assumption is he's not playing that well in practice. I will go on the record as daying that RR has the most potential up-side of any player that has ever played for our club, and they very fact that he's a reserve player given that potential and his high wage warrents exploring the idea of moving him.

Secondly, it's suspicion. His comments have a bit of similarity to Esky's in year one. They were similar (a bit) personalities off the pitch, and wouldn't surprise me that they may have a similar reaction to a similar treatment from MoJo. Plus the fact that he took the time to praise Burnley in the middle of this, without noticing the other comments. Again it's suspicion - not accusation.

Finally, my last feeling is that of acceptance. I wanted RR to do really well because if he could play to his potential he would have made the club better, would have been great for our community - would've been a win-win. But that's simply no longer looking like it;s going to be the case. So given the tight slary cap issues in this league the best thing for the club is to find a way to eliminate that wage against the cap and work on improving the team. Because what's best for TFC takes precendent over everything else a player does - community (Poz), blogs (Esky), and just a flat out nice guys (Duni)

denime
05-26-2009, 09:10 AM
I lucid moment. And people do this to their own supporters as well - take a look around you... Loyalty is a thing of the past, it has become such a rare commodity.

Stay on topic and don't bring your own agenda here.

The Kingpin
05-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Praise him when he's doing well then dump on him when his form drops off with proclamations of how useless he is an always was.

Another great line - The boards are quite insightful today!

Boris
05-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Another great line - The boards are quite insightful today!

and you keep adding to it.....
but i have to agree

The Kingpin
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Stay on topic and don't bring your own agenda here.

Pardon? I was noting that this is a general trend and part of the general rhetoric for individuals passionate about something. It's a groupthink mentality and it creates the fervor that you are seeing here. And by the way - what is my agenda? I was succinctly on topic.

Nuvinho
05-26-2009, 09:14 AM
what exciting rumour will come out today? Paul, can you announce the friendly, maybe we can start an entire new topic today :)

Roogsy
05-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Pardon? I was noting that this is a general trend and part of the general rhetoric for individuals passionate about something. It's a groupthink mentality and it creates the fervor that you are seeing here. And by the way - what is my agenda? I was succinctly on topic.

Actually I agree with Denime. Please don't bring your issue with the supporter group into a discussion about Rohan Ricketts.

The Kingpin
05-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Actually I agree with Denime. Please don't bring your issue with the supporter group into a discussion about Rohan Ricketts.

See my post above - I think the reactions are a case of hypersensitivity. I have never gone of topic. Only the individuals reacting to my opinions have. I think the reactions here are a case of individuals being so close to the players and club that there is a loss of focus on what the player has brought to the club. This culminates in so many ways and can be a groupthink pandemic.

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:24 AM
you people are wierd - i'm going back to work

Nuvinho
05-26-2009, 09:26 AM
you people are wierd - i'm going back to work

what?? work!!!! c'mon.......this thread kept me from boredom at work yesterday afternoon.

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:35 AM
yeah fuck it - you're right

Pachuco
05-26-2009, 09:38 AM
no, I know...that why I threw in the I'm just sayin

my feelings on this are this:
First and foremost - disappointment. Everyone is questioning why he doesn't get more time, but there's obviously no vendetta against him by the club. he makes a realtive high wage and if anything he would have preference for the XI. Therefore, my assumption is he's not playing that well in practice. I will go on the record as daying that RR has the most potential up-side of any player that has ever played for our club, and they very fact that he's a reserve player given that potential and his high wage warrents exploring the idea of moving him.

Secondly, it's suspicion. His comments have a bit of similarity to Esky's in year one. They were similar (a bit) personalities off the pitch, and wouldn't surprise me that they may have a similar reaction to a similar treatment from MoJo. Plus the fact that he took the time to praise Burnley in the middle of this, without noticing the other comments. Again it's suspicion - not accusation.

Finally, my last feeling is that of acceptance. I wanted RR to do really well because if he could play to his potential he would have made the club better, would have been great for our community - would've been a win-win. But that's simply no longer looking like it;s going to be the case. So given the tight slary cap issues in this league the best thing for the club is to find a way to eliminate that wage against the cap and work on improving the team. Because what's best for TFC takes precendent over everything else a player does - community (Poz), blogs (Esky), and just a flat out nice guys (Duni)

Actually, you make a good point that he said the Burnley thing after the supposive negative comments. But I will say this, I don't use twitterberry since I don't have a blackberry. But most of this mobile phone twitter software is a one pager where you enter your status and that's it. You don't see what you would see if you accessed it from the web. It also happened that he started twittering from the web when he stated it wasn't him. So maybe he saw the messages when he got on his computer. Regardless I'll say one other thing, twitter is actually quite unsecure and has a tone of media attention around this. They allow simple password which are susceptible to dictionary attacks. In the past months all kinds of celebrities have been hacked and the media is all over it. There is even a website where you send them money and they return to you the password of any twitter account. So just saying!

TorontoBlades
05-26-2009, 09:49 AM
didn't know that about twitter - I use it for marketing, but I'll have to rethink that based on what you've just told me

JDG
05-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Guys, Rohans' remark about the previous postings being garbage came within minutes of me sending him a message telling him not to take the Message boards to heart.
My suspicion is that the "garbage remarks" were in fact posted from his own Blackberry, but not by him.
Rohan is a sociable guy. He may have been in the company of some sympathetic friends who couldn't contain themselves when they saw his Blackberry sitting unattended on the table while he was playing XBox.
When he got the notification that my message had been recieved, only then did he see what had happened, and he went to the nearest computer to try to show some seperation to the voices while refuting the comments.

As reasonable a guess as any put forward here I think.

Yohan
05-26-2009, 11:17 AM
this all has been a good laugh

dont take twitter too seriously

The Kingpin
05-26-2009, 11:18 AM
Wow. That is all.

Lucky Strike
05-26-2009, 11:23 AM
Alright, I've read the whole thing and here’s my take on it (if you’ll indulge me since I’m late to the party).

1. This needs to be said – Rohan Ricketts is a good man. He gets involved in the community, donates to charity, volunteers his time to the club, etc. Above all, let’s not forget this and because of this, I think he deserves a better sending off, if it comes to that.

2. Furthermore, we should be more thankful for his service during the 2008 season where he got 6 goals actually (4 in MLS plus 2 in the Canadian Championship) and was an important player on a squad which was thinner on talent. Sure, he was inconsistent as everyone knows, but he did have good moments and truly wanted to be here.

3. However, it’s become clear that Ricketts is in a tough spot when speaking of football itself. He got 2-3 games at the start of the season where he didn’t perform. But in truth, his efforts there were no different than his “off” games in 2008. The two differences here are that: a) there are more skilled players around to challenge him for the shirt; and b) the formation no longer suits him. These two things mean that he’s not getting a second chance whereas in 2008 he did. It’s harsh, but it’s the reality of football (and indeed other sports).

4. Given his lack of playing time, what we therefore remember most about him are his 3 ineffective matches at the beginning of 2009 and how other players around him now seem comparatively much better. That exposes him to criticism (whether you believe it is fair or not) that was not present during 2008.

5. And given the lack of playing time and the resulting criticism, now what we see most about Ricketts is his commercial for that sports shop and his “Rolling with Ricketts” segment. I may be missing something, but you get the idea. Though it’s not really anything substantially different than last year, the extra-football things make it seem like he’s out of touch with reality – what is understood to be self-promotion despite him not playing good football. It really looks bad on him, at least in my view. This, I believe is one of the reasons why people are getting on his case and turning against him. Despite the good I mentioned in #1 and #2, I can’t fault people for feeling this way.

6. Now, with little playing time and therefore little chance to change our mind about him coupled with the extra-football stuff which continues (for instance, his commercial is played so often - it’s not his fault but makes him look bad just that much more), he’s obviously unhappy. Who wouldn’t be? He’s a footballer and wants to play, he’s said so himself. He doesn’t want to collect a paycheque by sitting on the bench. But some interpret this to mean that he’s now a headcase, whining and complaining for more time, all the while we see his extra-football stuff all the time. Again, it’s not unreasonable that people will start to dislike him, just like some others don’t mind him asking for more playing time because it shows he’s committed to playing and doing the best he can.

7. But now, the Twittergate thing (yeah, that’s right, I said “Twittergate”). Whether you believe it really was him and was told to retract his comments, or that his account truly was hacked (or something else that meant that he wasn’t the one writing these unprofessional comments), the truth is that it looks really bad on him. We can’t be sure of what happened one way or another which unfortunately for him means that these sinister Twitter comments will always hang over his head – there will always be doubt now. Honestly, of those of you who believe he didn’t write those comments, you know deep down that there’s not an unreasonable chance you’re wrong. I’m not trying to single anyone out; I’m simply stating that there will always be that cloud now.

8. I’m almost finished with my analysis, bear with me: I too noticed that he praised Burnley between his scathing comments. If #7 didn’t look bad enough, this just appears awful. I’m having difficulty expressing into words how exactly it looks bad, but I believe others understand what I’m trying to get at. Moreover, if his account had been hacked, wouldn’t he have noticed that or those other comments made earlier?

9. Speaking for myself now, I do believe Ricketts did write the comments (his account was not hacked) and was told to retract them, or something to that effect. Why? He appeared on the Footy Show not too long ago and he just wasn’t his normal self. He was much more subdued and less the upbeat personality we’ve come to know. Of course, I can always be wrong and this sort of thing is highly subjective, but I’ll stick by what I saw.

10. In the end, his lack of playing time and his extra-footballing activities make him look just like another CV2. And the series of events I have proposed have an isotope effect on the number of people who like Rohan Ricketts. What do I mean by that? Unstable forms of certain elements decay over time and the “half-life” of an element is the period of time which it takes for that element to lose half its electrons. This is what is used to carbon-date something. You can tell how old it is by a) knowing the half-life of Carbon-14 (an unstable version of the standard Carbon-12) and b) seeing how far along the decay is. It’s similar with fans of Ricketts. You start with 100% liking him. Not playing well? Chop that number in half to 50%. Too much self-promoting? 25% left. No chance to change our minds about his play? 12.5% Twittergate? 6.25%. The Burnley comment in between which makes him look worse? 3.125% and so on. Very shortly, Ricketts will have no fans and his decay will be complete. That, to me, is why he's getting such a harsh treatment. He may or may deserve it, but boy, things are not looking up for him.

Thanks for actually reading all of this!

Yohan
05-26-2009, 11:25 AM
jesus. you had way too much time on your hands dude