PDA

View Full Version : Nigel Reed

scooter
05-24-2009, 07:16 PM
i had to stay home yesterday due to other commitments and watched the game on ctv

Nigel was calling the game and he was brilliant

he should be the only comentator calling our games cause he rocks

discuss

GhostPK
05-24-2009, 07:44 PM
yup.

boban
05-24-2009, 08:09 PM
i had to stay home yesterday due to other commitments and watched the game on ctv

discuss
you sure it was CTV? ;)

TFC USA
05-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Nigel Reed and Luke Wileman are great!

Dobson is okay.

Antoshka
05-24-2009, 08:34 PM
i like the fan 590 commentators theyre awesome

TFC07
05-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Nigel Reed is boring to hear, but Luke Wileman is good though.

Blizzard
05-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Nigel Reed and Luke Wileman are great!

Dobson is okay.

I'm ok with Nigel. Less so with Gerry because I still feel he lacks the instinctive call.
I think Luke is #1 on the pecking order right now.

He has an energy level that trumps Nigel plus has Nigel's knowledge base (actually
probably has more knowledge than Nigel because he does work for the club)
which is something that Gerry just cannot match.

I heard the highlights of Luke's call during the post-game show yesterday. Luke was
calling the match instead of Dunleavy for some reason. His call of the goals were first
class and I compare him favourably to what we hear on Premier League Radio.

Most of you won't have heard those of course but obviously you know Luke's stuff from GOL.

I like Nigel but I really, really like Luke.

Here is a link from the FAN of some game highlights from the radio broadcast. http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media.jsp?content=20090523_205420_9748

B

Up The TFC
05-24-2009, 09:19 PM

discuss

I watched the Montreal game on the stream and to hear him - I think it was him? - by himself was awesome. I can't stand Jason de Vos, Craig Forrest, or basically any 'colour' guy.

I don't need 'colour'.

Blizzard
05-24-2009, 09:22 PM

discuss

CBC actually. Nigel only calls the CBC telecasts.

Dub Narcotic
05-24-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm ok with Nigel. Less so with Gerry because I still feel he lacks the instinctive call.
I think Luke is #1 on the pecking order right now.
[...]

I agree, Luke is my favourite. I don't mind Nigel, but he still doesn't seem to know anything about the league beyond TFC.

TFC USA
05-24-2009, 09:46 PM
Granted, Reed is older than Wileman I think so Wileman's pipes should be stronger.

Reed isn't boring to listen to. Last weekend during the Revs game he was great. The Guevara goal call was classic.

Redcoe15
05-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Nigel Reed is the voice of TFC. :scarf: :D

prizby
05-25-2009, 01:09 AM
I demand Ray Hudson become the voice of TFC!

AdamZ
05-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Ray Hudson is terrible.

Brooker
05-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Nigel Reid for DP

McGill
05-25-2009, 02:36 AM
Nigel Reid for DP
Haha. I second the motion.

Shakes McQueen
05-25-2009, 04:30 AM
Luke Wileman is okay, but he's a bit too transparent of a TFC homer. I cringe when the guy gets all indignant about TFC not getting a call, or getting a bad call from the ref.

Nigel Reed is good, though he calls players by the wrong name WAY too often, haha.

- Scott

prizby
05-25-2009, 05:37 AM
Ray Hudson is terrible.

are you kidding, he is absolutely amazing, only him makes broadcasting enjoyable

Mark in Ottawa
05-25-2009, 07:11 AM
I have always liked the way Nigel Reed calls a game.

He is passionate about the game while not coming across as a homer even though he obviously is a big fan of TFC and the Canadian National teams.

Yes he does get a few of the names mixed up from time to time but I can live with that. Remember I live in Ottawa where hockey broadcasting is absolutely brutal!!

I also like the Fan590's soccer show that Nigel hosts.

Oldtimer
05-25-2009, 07:31 AM
I demand Ray Hudson become the voice of TFC!

Ray Hudson is terrible.

are you kidding, he is absolutely amazing, only him makes broadcasting enjoyable

Ray Hudson doesn't leave people ambivalent about his style. People either love him or hate him.

scooter
05-25-2009, 08:15 AM
OMG TOUGH CROWD
but i stand corrected -------twice
cbc
reed

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 08:29 AM
I like Nigel Reed.
I've always been a fan of the calm narrative style of game calling that he brings, similar to many other announcers in English football.

He's way better than the high pitched voices of the American announcers who sound like they are still going through puberty.

Can someone post examples of the other TFC commentators?
I can't think of their voices at the moment since I am in the stands more often than in front of the tv.

Oldtimer
05-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I like Nigel Reed.
I've always been a fan of the calm narrative style of game calling that he brings, similar to many other announcers in English football.

He's way better than the high pitched voices of the American announcers who sound like they are still going through puberty.

Sean Wheelock is about the only American commentator that I like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Wheelock

He really knows the game, and calls the matches for the KC Wiz.

However, not all KC fans like him:

http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=426454

cougars732
05-25-2009, 09:33 AM
im tired of players making a "nuisance of themselves"

Carts
05-25-2009, 09:44 AM
I really like Nigel Reed's call... Its calm, and as someone said very narrative in nature...

I'm not a fan of Gerry Dobson's goal call. His call during the game is otherwise good as well, and he knows the game well - but I just don't like the 'hockey style' "SCORES"... I will say this, he seems to have removed that from his call - which is excellent...

Craig Forrest, in my opinion, is awesome. I'd like to have Forrest on every broadcast no matter what the network, but that can't happen. Forrest is bang on with critism and praise during matches... I guess I'd say he's "world class"...

Carts...

TFC~Vatreni
05-25-2009, 09:48 AM
Craig Forrest is the Leo Rautins of soccer colour commentating.

...and no that's not a good thing.

C.Ronaldo
05-25-2009, 09:53 AM
get me someone who can yell Goal like in the portuguese/spanish leagues.

Its like new years eve anytime someone scores.

I think we should go with someone with a Caribbean accent, live'n it up.
Please no boring mundane old English announcer accents

Up The TFC
05-25-2009, 12:20 PM
Craig Forrest is the Leo Rautins of soccer colour commentating.

...and no that's not a good thing.

Don't know Leo Rautins, but is he an annoying homer who second guesses every call the ref makes?

fetajr
05-25-2009, 12:23 PM
get me someone who can yell Goal like in the portuguese/spanish leagues.

Its like new years eve anytime someone scores.

I think we should go with someone with a Caribbean accent, live'n it up.
Please no boring mundane old English announcer accents

for real!!!!... Nigel puts me to sleep...the British English announcer voice is cool and makes it sound all official and credible, but it gets quiet at times and makes be doze off....but it could be much worse with the American English announcer who does some games on Fox Soccer channel..now that shit is terrible.

whHwOucylD0
6SBs9eEaX_c

TFC~Vatreni
05-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Don't know Leo Rautins, but is he an annoying homer who second guesses every call the ref makes?

Leo Rautins is the Captain Obvious colour commentator for the Raptors. Believe it or not, he is also the coach for our Men's National Basketball Team... sigh. and yes, he is an annoying homer who thinks he knows best.

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 01:47 PM
for real!!!!... Nigel puts me to sleep...the British English announcer voice is cool and makes it sound all official and credible, but it gets quiet at times and makes be doze off....but it could be much worse with the American English announcer who does some games on Fox Soccer channel..now that shit is terrible.

The British style of calling games is far and away my favourite!

It's like "hey, I get to watch a fun game of football, and have a pleasant story read to me at the same time"

I almost feel like I'm getting smarter watching English football broadcasts.

The Spanish style of commentary just gets on my nerves after a while.
I just want to punch the guy in the mouth sometimes to make him shut up!
Ok, maybe that was a bit harsh... but it does bug me.

And yes, as I have said before... most of the American announcers are absolute rubbish.
I would take the Spanish over them any day!

Inklink
05-25-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks for the Fan590 link. Wileman's call was excellent.

I want that dude who does World Cup games and Euro games and sounds like he's wheezing. Helm or something?

fetajr
05-25-2009, 02:07 PM
It's like "hey, I get to watch a fun game of football, and have a pleasant story read to me at the same time"

hahaha..thats a good take on it. I do feel more eloquent after a game with a British English announcer....and in all fairness, the English guys who do the games on BBC Five Live are awesome, they go crazy... too bad they can't be heard anymore over here during uefa and fifa competitions

flatpicker
05-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the Fan590 link. Wileman's call was excellent.

I want that dude who does World Cup games and Euro games and sounds like he's wheezing. Helm or something?

just listening now...

yeah, he's pretty good.

good enthusiasm, good voice.

what confuses me about the American announcers is...
what happened to the days of the deep voiced dramatic announcers?
more and more now we seem to get these high pitched nerdlings calling sports.
do they think it allows the common person to relate more?
I always viewed announcers as having very "staged" voices (in a good way). Like going to a play.
Their voices should add that sense of "theatre" to a game.
In the same way newscasters have their way of talking all "newsy"