PDA

View Full Version : Why Not Canada

gmacpheetfc
05-21-2009, 07:21 AM
I was reading an article on the concacaf website below and some country's clubs are in jeopardy of losing their spot to other nations based on facility requirements. Honduras was awarded an extra spot from belize I wonder why Canada wouldn't be given an extra seeing as MTL's 50,000 at the Big O generated the most revenue you figure Concacaf would want 2 Canadian teams in the competition.

More teams begin to fill in Champions League field
5/18/2009 - NEW YORK – Two-thirds of next season’s CONCACAF Champions League berths already have been claimed, leaving only eight places remaining in the 24-team field.

Trinidadian clubs W Connection and San Juan Jabloteh qualified along with the Puerto Rico Islanders from the final rounds of the Caribbean club championship over the weekend, while Real Espana and Olimpia assured themselves of the remaining two berths from Honduras.
http://www.concacaf.com/view_article.aspx?id=4748

ensco
05-21-2009, 07:27 AM
the winter weather?

(was just responding to thread title, I have no opinion on the post above, just looking for my first opportunity to use this icon)

:canada:

werewolf
05-21-2009, 07:33 AM
because we only have three teams in qualifying.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 07:35 AM
Our chances would be better if the CSL was coast to coast or when Vancouver joins MLS.

Carter
05-21-2009, 07:36 AM
what about the Serbian White Eagles.

Steve
05-21-2009, 07:40 AM
Yeah, 2 berths for 3 teams seems excessive, no?

Lucky Strike
05-21-2009, 07:44 AM
Has nothing to do with attendances figures; the extra spot went to Honduras because it was them who experienced the most success in last year's CCL.

By this, I'm presuming it was meant that Honduras performed the best out of those who don't already have four spots (i.e. MLS and FMF) because 4 slots is probably the maximum that CONCACAF wants to give to any single league/country.

Redpunkfiddle
05-21-2009, 08:22 AM
Has nothing to do with attendances figures; the extra spot went to Honduras because it was them who experienced the most success in last year's CCL.

By this, I'm presuming it was meant that Honduras performed the best out of those who don't already have four spots (i.e. MLS and FMF) because 4 slots is probably the maximum that CONCACAF wants to give to any single league/country.

Apparently, Panama is next in line to get a third spot if the Nicaraguan qualifier Real Esteli's stadium doesn't meet the standards. I am not quite sure how this is all assessed.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 08:34 AM
This sounds like actual co-efficient talk in CONCACAF but if the tournament is 1yr old and Montreal got to the semis...

It must be either co-efficient from previous CANCACAF cups or no rules in particular.

elvis
05-21-2009, 08:35 AM
what about the Serbian White Eagles.

I'm going to agree with Bob Iarusci on this point - not until they change their name. I don't think teams should be able to represent Canada that have names referring to other countries. Nothing against the team, the players or it's long history of course...the players would/could represent us well.

For the record, I'm someone with Italian heritage and feel the same way about Toronto Italia.

Lucky Strike
05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
Apparently, Panama is next in line to get a third spot if the Nicaraguan qualifier Real Esteli's stadium doesn't meet the standards. I am not quite sure how this is all assessed.

This link has more information on stadium standards, though it discusses them in relation to the Belize situation. But obviously, that can be applied to Nicaragua.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/05/11/concacaf.honduras.ap/index.html

crozack
05-21-2009, 08:46 AM
I'm going to agree with Bob Iarusci on this point - not until they change their name. I don't think teams should be able to represent Canada that have names referring to other countries. Nothing against the team, the players or it's long history of course...the players would/could represent us well.

For the record, I'm someone with Italian heritage and feel the same way about Toronto Italia.

Australia did something similar in requiring "ethic" teams to change there names..ie Melbourne Croatia are now known as the Knights.

Im up in the air still on this debate but it would be nice to have the CSL and Amateur sides like a GS united participate in making it a truly Canadian Championship.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 08:57 AM

I've shifted a bit on this. I agree that another countries name shouldn't be present but there can be comprimise. A reference to the country in question seems ok to me.

Unfortunetly (I believe) Azurri is already used by an amateur club but a Toronto Azurri Team in the CSL complete with affiliation to the amateur club would seem perfect.

The naming process could be repeated with the other "international" team names.

Kaz
05-21-2009, 08:59 AM
This is just speculation, but they try to keep the added teams in a similar political zone.
The best you could hope for is that at some point a Canadian MLS team is able to qualify through MLS by knocking out an American team. But you'd need to have at least two more USL Clubs in Canada for that to even have a chance to even be discussed and even then you'll get laughed at.

Canada is at least 15 years from having the Football Clubs at the skill level that would be required to even consider having a second team qualify. We don't even have a domestic national league.

Beach_Red
05-21-2009, 09:02 AM
I've shifted a bit on this. I agree that another countries name shouldn't be present but there can be comprimise. A reference to the country in question seems ok to me.

It would actually be very Canadian to allow references to other countries in the team names - one of the things that might be uniquely Canadian.

As long as there's no ethnic requirement for players on the teams, the name is fine.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
This is just speculation, but they try to keep the added teams in a similar political zone.
The best you could hope for is that at some point a Canadian MLS team is able to qualify through MLS by knocking out an American team. But you'd need to have at least two more USL Clubs in Canada for that to even have a chance to even be discussed and even then you'll get laughed at.

Canada is at least 15 years from having the Football Clubs at the skill level that would be required to even consider having a second team qualify. We don't even have a domestic national league.

I think you may be underestimating the possible growth here. Some of those leagues down there can be 10 to 12 teams.

With Vancouver going to MLS and Montreal trying how much longer before Ottawa gives it another go to upgrade from PDL? I think we could see USL teams in Alberta or elsewhere (Hamilton talks).

werewolf
05-21-2009, 09:08 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13583

The CSL thread :D

I would probably buy season tickets to a CSL team if they dropped the international names. Until then, I will occasionally attend a TFC academy match when it fits into my schedule.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 09:11 AM
It would actually be very Canadian to allow references to other countries in the team names - one of the things that might be uniquely Canadian.

As long as there's no ethnic requirement for players on the teams, the name is fine.

There's examples elsewhere. Hibernian has been in Europe representing Scotland. Any others spring to mind?

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13583

The CSL thread :D

I would probably buy season tickets to a CSL team if they dropped the international names. Until then, I will occasionally attend a TFC academy match when it fits into my schedule.

But the Accies don't have an international name. Didn't you say you'd buy season's?;)

North York Astros but who wants to go to North York.:DDitto for the Mississauga Lynx.

Lucky Strike
05-21-2009, 09:14 AM
There's examples elsewhere. Hibernian has been in Europe representing Scotland. Any others spring to mind?

If a team like Young Boys in Switzerland can have a name that sounds like it's appealing to pedophiles, stuff like Toronto Croatia, Serbian White Eagles, Portugal FC will pass unnoticed.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 09:18 AM
If a team like Young Boys in Switzerland can have a name that sounds like it's appealing to pedophiles, stuff like Toronto Croatia, Serbian White Eagles, Portugal FC will pass unnoticed.

Dirty Birdy. I just say "Good for them. Competing at such a high level and only boys."

BTW How are the BOCA men doing this year?:D

werewolf
05-21-2009, 09:18 AM
But the Accies don't have an international name. Didn't you say you'd buy season's?;)

North York Astros but who wants to go to North York.:DDitto for the Mississauga Lynx.

I am not buying them to ANY team, as long as its that way. The two closest teams to me are Serbian White Eagles and Toronto Croatia...no thanks.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I am not buying them to ANY team, as long as its that way. The two closest teams to me are Serbian White Eagles and Toronto Croatia...no thanks.

I'm sure they don't mind if you're a fan of both.:D

Beach_Red
05-21-2009, 09:22 AM

That's funny, when I see Young Boys I think of these guys:

Young Boys Incorporated, also known as Y.B.I. was amoung the firstAfrican-American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American) drug cartel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_cartel) that operated on street corners.
They controlled about 40% of the heroin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin) traffic in Detroit, Michigan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit,_Michigan) from the summer of 1978 through the late 1980s. It is alleged that at the height of their reign, the Y.B.I's drug business was making more money than the nearly bankrupted Chrysler Corporation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Boys_Inc.

Lucky Strike
05-21-2009, 09:26 AM
That's funny, when I see Young Boys I think of these guys:

Young Boys Incorporated, also known as Y.B.I. was amoung the firstAfrican-American (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American) drug cartel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_cartel) that operated on street corners.
They controlled about 40% of the heroin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heroin) traffic in Detroit, Michigan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit,_Michigan) from the summer of 1978 through the late 1980s. It is alleged that at the height of their reign, the Y.B.I's drug business was making more money than the nearly bankrupted Chrysler Corporation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Boys_Inc.

Lol, there's also Newell's Old Boys in Argentina or Peru, are they also a sort of street gang?

Nazzer
05-21-2009, 09:30 AM
If you read the wiki article on the 2009-10 champions league there is a reference to a concacaf article. It states that if a central american team fails to meet stadium standards the first replacement is honduran, if a caribean team fails to meet stadium standards then the CFU Club CHampionship 4th placed team will take their spot. The pattern that should be recognized here is when a team fails to meet the stadium standards they are relaced by a team in the same region; Caribean, Central, or North American. The only way that Canada would get a second entrant through this avenue is if somehow a PDL team with inadequate stadium facilities won the US Open CUp and Concacaf decided to award the spot to Canada instead of another US team.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 09:33 AM
If you read the wiki article on the 2009-10 champions league there is a reference to a concacaf article. It states that if a central american team fails to meet stadium standards the first replacement is honduran, if a caribean team fails to meet stadium standards then the CFU Club CHampionship 4th placed team will take their spot. The pattern that should be recognized here is when a team fails to meet the stadium standards they are relaced by a team in the same region; Caribean, Central, or North American. The only way that Canada would get a second entrant through this avenue is if somehow a PDL team with inadequate stadium facilities won the US Open CUp and Concacaf decided to award the spot to Canada instead of another US team.

Boooooooooooooo! There's goes the co-efficient talk. So right now it doesn't matter how well other clubs from Canada do in the tournament it won't get us another spot.

S_D
05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
I was reading an article on the concacaf website below and some country's clubs are in jeopardy of losing their spot to other nations based on facility requirements. Honduras was awarded an extra spot from belize I wonder why Canada wouldn't be given an extra seeing as MTL's 50,000 at the Big O generated the most revenue you figure Concacaf would want 2 Canadian teams in the competition.

On the soccer show a while ago Montopoli was interviewed by Nigel. The Canadian spot is up for review after 2 years (so after this season). CSA is going to ask for an extra spot.

Warner apparently was very excited about the MTL crowd in the Big O (and probably counting the cash on his desk the next day) so it isn't out of the question.

boban
05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
(was just responding to thread title, I have no opinion on the post above, just looking for my first opportunity to use this icon)

:canada:

LMAO. Classic. Ensco you kill me.
Thanks for the laugh.

prizby
05-21-2009, 12:26 PM
why can't these teams play their games in their national stadium...its not like belize or nicarugua are that big of a country, so it wouldn't be extreme travelling distances

nfitz
05-21-2009, 12:29 PM
I assume that Panama and Honduras getting the extra teams, is because they are Central American; and the lost slots are Central American ... that's all.

scots17
05-21-2009, 12:31 PM
if the States has their US OPEN CUP, why don't we have a CANADIAN OPEN CUP, where teams in MLS, USL, CSL, Premier teams can showcase...pay to play!

At least there would be more then 3 teams like this NUTRILITE TOURNEY

nfitz
05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
We do! But it's only open to 3 teams. :)