PDA

View Full Version : Concede Defeat and Go home

jabbronies
06-01-2008, 11:00 AM
So I was watching that BMO ad that everyone hates and I hear this line at the end of the commercial.

Is it just me or have i heard that line before?
i thought someone had mentioned it back when TFC were looking for a slogan to put over the layers entrance?

Ron Manager
06-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Why does everyone hate that ad? I liked it, but I did think they could have used actual images of real fans.

jimiv
06-01-2008, 01:56 PM
Why does everyone hate that ad? I liked it, but I did think they could have used actual images of real fans.

I agree, the basic ad isn't bad, but the "actors" that they use are the problem, in a way it's actually an insult to the fans. This ad would be fantastic if they used the South End.

:taz:

Broadview
06-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Who cuts the sleeves off a hundred dollar shirt?

Steve
06-01-2008, 02:05 PM
I agree, the basic ad isn't bad, but the "actors" that they use are the problem, in a way it's actually an insult to the fans. This ad would be fantastic if they used the South End.

They asked, supporters' groups said no.

Cambridge_Red
06-01-2008, 02:07 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=334

ManUtd4ever
06-01-2008, 02:14 PM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=62&pictureid=334

lol, yup that's what the guys in the BMO ad look like...I still like it though...

Razcle
06-01-2008, 02:30 PM

Ric Flaire....WOOOOOOOOOOOOO

It may be a little overdone but it looks like Netherlands has copied the ad theme only they dressed up their players

http://www.kickette.com/images/uploads/adv.jpg

http://www.kickette.com/images/uploads/AD50e277ce65e3df606c2b754decdeead5.jpg

http://www.kickette.com/index.php?/site/oranje_football_is_war/

jimiv
06-01-2008, 03:58 PM
why?

:noidea:

NateDoGG
06-01-2008, 04:13 PM
i dont mind that ad at all
i think ppl are taking things a lil to personally

FluSH
06-01-2008, 04:18 PM

This is a first for me? I never knew they asked us??

FluSH
06-01-2008, 04:19 PM

and yes... it is a total insult to the fans... looks like mockery of us

stugautz
06-01-2008, 04:26 PM
It's a whoring out of the atmosphere created by fans that bothers me. It has the same feel as a commercial for the marines.

Cambridge_Red
06-01-2008, 04:34 PM
They should've just used camera shots of the games. They wouldn't have needed our permission for that either way.. It's very Hollywood IMO, a little bit of a mockery.

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 04:38 PM
This is a first for me? I never knew they asked us??

That's what I was thinking?

Personally, I don't like the ad, because I feel it makes a mockery of us and what we're all about- same with the video they play at the beginning of the game and the double decker bus.

ilikemusic
06-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Ya it makes me feel stupid. It is patronizing.

jabbronies
06-01-2008, 04:53 PM
I like the end of the ad with all the flags waving...that's crazy...

Anyways - Glossy Ads are what make people want whatever is being sold. And by people I mean the casuals, not us supporters.

Captain Croatia
06-01-2008, 04:58 PM
The flags at the end look wicked. We will soon look like that! Haha

BTW, i say a orange smoke bomb after we scored. Did anyone see what happened to the guy who set it off? Because it looked fookin' sweet behind the net!

Razcle
06-01-2008, 05:11 PM
That's what I was thinking?

Personally, I don't like the ad, because I feel it makes a mockery of us and what we're all about- same with the video they play at the end of the game and the double decker bus.

Wow...I never knew this was a Red Patch commercial..for all you know, this is depicting the fans in section 104 at a game that you couldn't make it to. (Obviously its not) but I feel you may be taking it a little too personally. It would be awesome to see more fans get that into it when they come to BMO.....

jabbronies
06-01-2008, 05:12 PM
They play a video at the end of the game?

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 05:20 PM
Wow...I never knew this was a Red Patch commercial..for all you know, this is depicting the fans in section 104 at a game that you couldn't make it to. (Obviously its not) but I feel you may be taking it a little too personally. It would be awesome to see more fans get that into it when they come to BMO.....

Actually, by us, I meant TFC Supporters. Some of us here do understand it's not all about the Red Patch Boys.

And no, I don't think I'm taking it a little too personally. We all work damn hard game in and game out to create the atmosphere that we do, and BMO thinks they can capitalize on it. Well, thanks for the slap in the face, perhaps I should stop trying and let them take over?

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 05:21 PM
They play a video at the end of the game?

Sorry, I meant beginning....fixed.

Ron Manager
06-01-2008, 05:24 PM
Well, each to their own I guess. I would have preferred footage from the terraces as well, but if they asked and we said no....maybe we shouldn't be complaining.

Besides, it's just an ad and after all, it is promoting the club to a wider audience.

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 05:26 PM
but if they asked and we said no....maybe we shouldn't be complaining.

That's the thing, I sure don't remember being asked. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I'm the only one.

Ron Manager
06-01-2008, 05:32 PM
I guess by we I meant the collective 'we'. I suppose it's why we have a leadership structure.

Anyways, like I said, it's just an ad, I happen to like it, others don't. Let's all go for a beer.

jimiv
06-01-2008, 05:43 PM
Actually, by us, I meant TFC Supporters. Some of us here do understand it's not all about the Red Patch Boys.

And no, I don't think I'm taking it a little too personally. We all work damn hard game in and game out to create the atmosphere that we do, and BMO thinks they can capitalize on it. Well, thanks for the slap in the face, perhaps I should stop trying and let them take over?

Mrs. Workie is correct...

We sit in 110 and can see the passion in the South End, you can feel it, and it takes all the supporters to bring that to the game, I don’t think of this as a slap in the face of RPBs but all of the team's supporters.

The glossy BMO commercials don't pass on the feelings, passion, love, whatever... of the supporters, instead they have made a mockery of them, and that's the problem with these commercials.

:mad:

Torcida
06-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Funny, how they make an ad with fans waving big flags in a stand that looks like it holds at least 10,000 people but then when I am waving my flag yesterday at the top of 110 with a 4'1/2 feet pole and they confiscate my pole even though I was in the back row with most people not even at their fucking seats yet. Unreal. I doubt anyone who sits near me would have a problem with my flag, they didn't the other two games I brought it in. It's bad enough that I have to ask like a panhandler to south end supporters to bring the flag in for me.

Question: is 127 a supporters section? The reason is because I see flag poles there every game. Do people bring in flag poles in 111? I remember at the last game last year there were loads of em.

Bars92
06-01-2008, 06:21 PM
The commercials are shite, but I know that true supporters won't let it get to them. We know whats up.

RealG-TFC
06-01-2008, 06:56 PM

BTW, i say a orange smoke bomb after we scored. Did anyone see what happened to the guy who set it off? Because it looked fookin' sweet behind the net!

Yeah that's a must. It actually seems simple. If you just have red and grey and red/grey flags, you can keep it cheap.

AL-MO
06-01-2008, 06:59 PM
What pisses me off is that the commercial is not an accurate representation at all. If you only saw that commercial, you'd think we'd be allowed smoke and the whole bit but we are not. So they are promoting TFC, but not allowing us to do what is taking place in the commercial.

tfc_4_ever
06-01-2008, 07:04 PM
BTW the orange smoke bomb looked really cool. Espically since the guy ran across the entire south end.

Jamaicanadian
06-01-2008, 07:08 PM

That's the first thing I said LOL!
The commercial lacks authenticity...but then again I know squat about advertising/marketing.....

Captain Croatia
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
BTW the orange smoke bomb looked really cool. Espically since the guy ran across the entire south end.

Does anyone know if they took this guy out? If he got Kicked out?

Because it looked kick-ass, even when we played DC away, they had the white smoke(i think it was white) and it looked sweet.

Is there any way in hell to get them to let us use smoke bombs in supporters sections??:hump:

olegunnar
06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Back on topic:
I too seem to remember "concede defeat and go home" was one of the proposed messages for the players entrance or above the first level.

Roogsy
06-01-2008, 07:16 PM
Pffft...I could hardly care less about the commercial. I find it a little silly, but I am not offended by it. BMO paid to sponsor the team and in return gets to capitalize on all aspects of the TFC experience, that's what they paid for. If we are object to their use of it, then we object to sponsorship in the MLS which is silly because it's necessary to make the league grow. BMO is watching out for BMO...do we expect them to care what we think?

Razcle
06-01-2008, 07:24 PM

Well I am not quite sure what you mean by let them take over. I'm pretty sure if the supporters didn't bring it, BMO field would be a pretty dry atmopshere even if they pumped thousands into the "fan game day experience"

Again...i don't understand why you take the commercial so personally? Do you take movies and television shows this personally as well in search of accurate representation? Remember this is a commercial and not a documentary.

If you are a true supporter you would bring it game in and game out FOR THE BOYS. That's what we are all here for isn't it? Personally if a commercial whored out in Hollywood, brings fans to the stadium ready to be loud and support the boys, why would you be against that?

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 07:24 PM
Pffft...I could hardly care less about the commercial. I find it a little silly, but I am not offended by it. BMO paid to sponsor the team and in return gets to capitalize on all aspects of the TFC experience, that's what they paid for. If we are object to their use of it, then we object to sponsorship in the MLS which is silly because it's necessary to make the league grow. BMO is watching out for BMO...do we expect them to care what we think?

But they made a mockery of it! They took what they thought was atmosphere and passion, made it hollywood, and tried to pass it off. If they really wanted to capture all that, live footage, & photos would have been much better.

Do I expect them to care about what I think? No, cuz that's the way business works. Am I going to sit here, and pretend I like it? Fuck no.

Roogsy
06-01-2008, 07:31 PM
I doubt they were intentionally trying to make a mockery of it. In fact...I bet they think they were making a compliment of it. Unfortunately, they probably had some Hollywood-wannabe director who knows nothing about football directing the commercial and you wind up with a 300-wannabe ad. Doesn't bother me so long as TFC is being given attention.

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Again...i don't understand why you take the commercial so personally?

From day one, us supporters have tried to create an atmosphere unheard of in North American Sports. We've busted our asses, learning chants, teaching chants, trying to co-ordinate sections, making banners, and tifos, to support our club, and to show the league, and the World, and most importantly our BOYS, that Toronto has what it takes to support this club. And now BMO decided to depict our hard work in this fashion? Personally, it's absolute crap. If that's "taking it too personally", then I'm sorry, but I for one am not going to be depicted as some "300" type barbarian who wears bicep bands and war paint to a match.

koryo
06-01-2008, 07:37 PM
If they had the people in the background stuffing their gobs with food and asking the people in the front to sit down and be quiet, then it wouldn't be such a bad ad.

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 07:38 PM
If they had the people in the background stuffing their gobs with food and asking the people in the front to sit down and be quiet, then it wouldn't be such a bad ad.

Only if the people in front them proceeded to turn around and tell them to shut the fuck up

THEN it'd be accurate :D

Razcle
06-01-2008, 07:56 PM
From day one, us supporters have tried to create an atmosphere unheard of in North American Sports. We've busted our asses, learning chants, teaching chants, trying to co-ordinate sections, making banners, and tifos, to support our club, and to show the league, and the World, and most importantly our BOYS, that Toronto has what it takes to support this club. And now BMO decided to depict our hard work in this fashion? Personally, it's absolute crap. If that's "taking it too personally", then I'm sorry, but I for one am not going to be depicted as some "300" type barbarian who wears bicep bands and war paint to a match.

We could probably debate this for hours....but we're not going to. PERSONALLY, when I watch that commercial, I see like 10-12 people in a small area with emmense enthusiasm. You could find this same atmosphere in many sports stadiums amongst this small sized crowd after a goal or major play just ended. I bet if they had a replaced the 300 barbarian (guy or girl) with Flush in his luchero mask, and played the commercial in real time you would have little problem with it.

Again agreeing with Roogsy....the commercial maybe a touch silly, but to be offended by it is a little much IMO.....BUT you are obviously in Love with this team and in love with the strides we have made towards incredible support for our boys and don't want to feel like your hard work is being depicted improperly in any form of media. I guess thats just how she goes.:violin:

Roogsy
06-01-2008, 08:16 PM
but I for one am not going to be depicted as some "300" type barbarian who wears bicep bands and war paint to a match.

But would you wear ripped leather??? ;) THEN I would be interested...

http://www.genreonline.net/Genre_files/OneMillionYearsBCBIG.jpg

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 08:22 PM
BUT you are obviously in Love with this team and in love with the strides we have made towards incredible support for our boys and don't want to feel like your hard work is being depicted improperly in any form of media. I guess thats just how she goes.:violin:

What the FUCK is that supposed to mean?

I'm sorry, I thought being a supporter mean putting your heart and soul into supporting your team. Please, tell me if I'm wrong, and I'll stop what I'm doing, and join the prawn squad. :rolleyes5:

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 08:22 PM
But would you wear ripped leather??? ;) THEN I would be interested...

http://www.genreonline.net/Genre_files/OneMillionYearsBCBIG.jpg

For the right price, perhaps...

Oldtimer
06-01-2008, 08:36 PM
The BMO ads are total absolute garbage, but don't worry...
They had to focus on the supporters since last year our team wasn't very good.
Next year they will focus more on the team.

David
06-01-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure which ad you guys are talking about...but i did see one which made me want to fucking punch mlsintoronto in the face...

has anyone seen the "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!" ad? It plays on the smaller screen...pretty much you just see jimmy brennan sitting and tvs and couchs fall around him and either right before or after that happens you see "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!"

thats FUCKED to me...thats making the chant a complete fucking joke

David
06-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Question: is 127 a supporters section? The reason is because I see flag poles there every game.

Yes, unofficially

BoobsFC
06-01-2008, 09:36 PM
I don't get why some people are so upset about a commercial?
I guess sometimes people just HAVE to complain about something.
Heck, bet you if TFC didn't have any commercials you'd all be bitching about the lack of, or if they had commercials, produced to the quality of a late night lawyer ad you'd all be crying "Where's the quality?".

Stop crying about the little things and focus on what you claim to be here for, supporting TFC, not bitching about what BMO airs on TV to garner interest for new fans.

Derko
06-01-2008, 09:39 PM
I think it is supposed to represent passion for the team, you know how commercials are usually a bit over the top, and a bit fictional. It really doesn't concern me personally.

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Here's the only thing any of us should care about...

http://www.explace.on.ca/TorontoFClogo.jpg
Fuck all the corporate bullshit that goes on around it. By paying attention to it, you give it weight. Turn your nose up at it all and just keep singing.

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Stop crying about the little things and focus on what you claim to be here for, supporting TFC, not bitching about what BMO airs on TV to garner interest for new fans.

So I guess we should stop bitching about the Argo's playing at BMO too then, seeing as that has nothing to do with supporting the team?

It's quite apparent I'm on my own here, so fine- you guys go ahead and let yourselves be made a mockery of.

TFC07
06-01-2008, 10:07 PM
I'm not sure which ad you guys are talking about...but i did see one which made me want to fucking punch mlsintoronto in the face...

has anyone seen the "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!" ad? It plays on the smaller screen...pretty much you just see jimmy brennan sitting and tvs and couchs fall around him and either right before or after that happens you see "THIS IS OUR HOUSE!"

thats FUCKED to me...thats making the chant a complete fucking joke

We are talking about this ad:

AduWZk_Kxsw

koryo
06-01-2008, 10:10 PM
The main problem I have is that MLSE (and by proxy BMO) are, without actually stating it, taking credit for the team's supporters (we brought them the team, this is how they respond to the team), DESPITE the fact that a considerable number of MLSE's policies are designed to prohibit the sort of, er, conduct (?) you see in the ad.

Furthermore, this ad creates a spectacle out of everything each and every supporter has worked very, very hard to build last year and this, which only re-enforces the idea that the atmosphere that the supporters create is something to observe - a sideshow- instead of being something to be a part of and help to build.

That's my problem with the ad.

Mrs. Workie
06-01-2008, 10:14 PM
The main problem I have is that MLSE (and by proxy BMO) are, without actually stating it, taking credit for the team's supporters (we brought them the team, this is how they respond to the team), DESPITE the fact that a considerable number of MLSE's policies are designed to prohibit the sort of, er, conduct (?) you see in the ad.

Furthermore, this ad creates a spectacle out of everything each and every supporter has worked very, very hard to build last year and this, which only re-enforces the idea that the atmosphere that the supporters create is something to observe - a sideshow- instead of being something to be a part of and help to build.

THANK YOU!

Boris
06-01-2008, 10:19 PM
something that ive always said is that we are like zoo animals to the average person. Its very apparent when we're at BMO and its become apparent at joes at certain times. I feel like people are around to see what we'll do next.

We as a group worked our asses off. We support the team day ina nd day out no matter what. Its a slap in the face to all of us as a group for the myth of us being circus animals to make it to a commercial.

I have many problems with the ad and as i re-watched the game last night with mybrother i notcied how infuriated we both were.

iansmcl
06-01-2008, 11:09 PM
^^^ I've noticed that as well (the spectacle, aspect). It's been really evident since the four seats next to me are scalper/corporate/different-people-every-time seats and one of the guys who came was looking around watching everyone like we were a show. I really want to find out who has those seats and get them, the people that get those seats are lamers and usually leave 10+ minutes before full time.

BoobsFC
06-01-2008, 11:18 PM
So I guess we should stop bitching about the Argo's playing at BMO too then, seeing as that has nothing to do with supporting the team?

It's quite apparent I'm on my own here, so fine- you guys go ahead and let yourselves be made a mockery of.

No you see, the Argos moving into BMO directly affects YOUR TFC experience and abilty to support the club, watch the game you love to the standard YOU'RE used to.

WTF does a cheesy commercial do that effects your ability to support your club?

Have you totally lost your perspective on what supporting is about?

GTFO with the commercial whining, it's just that, a commercial.

BoobsFC
06-01-2008, 11:25 PM

Actually, I don't see how taking a bunch of geeky looking 30 somethings and dressing them up to look like tribal warriors, resembles the south stand.

If you feel like they "stole" this from the book of RPB then you need to seriously wake up.

You didn't invent the supporters group, the concept's been around for a while, the scene dipicted there could be applied to any sport that's supported in that sorta manner.

I understand your "But what about my 15 seconds on camera!" stance but the fact of the matter is it's just an over the top commercial to send emotion to the viewer.

Putting 200 unorganized supporters on camera singing the dichio chant and this is our house, and massive all at once sounding retarded all while sipping $13 beers and appearing heavily intoxicated is NOT what they wanted to show the viewer. Anything else would be just like you stated "a false representation" of what it's like there.

Boris
06-01-2008, 11:30 PM
Putting 200 unorganized supporters on camera singing the dichio chant and this is our house, and massive all at once sounding retarded all while sipping $13 beers and appearing heavily intoxicated is NOT what they wanted to show the viewer. Anything else would be just like you stated "a false representation" of what it's like there.

nice to see how you see us....

BoobsFC
06-01-2008, 11:35 PM
nice to see how you see us....

It was a sarcastic jab taken from all the bickering back and forth that has been going on about the performance of the southstand so far this season. :hump:

If it makes you feel better you guys sound fantastic on TV and at BMO in person, and things will only get better over time.

werewolf
06-01-2008, 11:38 PM
my main problem with the ads is if its supposed to represent our fans, where are all the yellow jackets in the stands???

"Excuse me, can I see your ticket? Tickets please! Where is your ticket? I need to see your ticket".....starting to sound like scalpers.

Cashcleaner
06-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I don't see how people are getting offended by the BMO ad. And I really can't wrap my head around how they are taking offence to it.

The commercial isn't an accurate representation of some of the rowdier sections? Ummmmm....... it's not?! Guys with facepaint? Check. Flags waving in unison? Check. Confetti in the air? Check.

iansmcl
06-02-2008, 12:05 AM
I think they take offence to it because the fans in the ad are really organized... us... not so much. ;)

Brooker
06-02-2008, 12:20 AM
MAN.... it's been a while since i've seen so much bickering about such a petty and useless topic on here.

WHO GIVES A SHIT. WE JUST HAD ONE OF THE BEST GAMES OF OUR SHORT EXISTANCE AND YOU WANT TO BITCH ABOUT A COMMERCIAL?

is this a dream?! what are you thinking?!?!?!?

JESUS! this thread is hurting my brain.

Keystone FC
06-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Okay, time for an outside the Great White North opinion.
In reguards to the commercial, and the huge ad outside the main BMO bank in downtown T.O. I think it's a concentraited look at the total experience of a TFC home game. Do we have people dressed up in costumes? Yes. Do we have people beating drums? Yes. Do we have banners and flags? Yes.
Now the jerseys with the sleeves cut off is a bit much, but the director and the ad men have only 30 secs (if that) to put all the energy in a 90 min. game into one ad.
I think it's a very well done spot that reminds me of some of the ads for Nike, Adidas, and the specific tournaments.
I'm just glad we have that type of advertising to support the club. We are very fortunate to have this. Here in Ohio I have seen dit squat advertising by and for the Crew. No tv ads, to newspaper ads, no radio ads....nothing. It's sad to think that one of the top teams in the league can't even compete with indoor football for ad space.

Cashcleaner
06-02-2008, 12:55 AM
^ Good points, Keystone. We should be lucky to get the exposure we have when you consider how little the rest of the league gets. Personally, I love the commercial and I think it sheds us in a great light.

Daveisonfire
06-02-2008, 01:59 AM
We are talking about this ad:

AduWZk_Kxsw

Here's my opinion from the view of a student of Advertising..

First of all, I will say that the script is outstanding. Close your eyes and just listen to the words, it's a very well scripted ad. They do well to display the themes of loyalty and passion that we all feel towards this team. Feels all very "All for One". [Their objective, I'm sure, is to translate your loyalty for TFC into brand loyalty with BMO.]

But the script I feel is not the issue here...it's the visuals that most of us are having a problem with. Now, like Keystone said, it's the advertisers job to make sure they capture the passion and emotion of TFC supporters on gameday in just 30 seconds (obviously not an easy task). So what's the best way to show the passion and emotion from the crowd in a visual manner? Well the same way that some of the most visual supporters do, and that's with costumes, face paint, flags, confetti, streamers etc. And yes, it comes off as over the top...but wouldn't you agree what as TFC supporters we are over the top?

I can see how it can come off visually as "hey look at these crazy guys LOL", because it's obviously a bit exaggerated...but it's meant to show the passion and support we show the team.

They could have done better visually...like having real fans, but seriously if they asked us to do it, would we have? :noidea:

Cashcleaner
06-02-2008, 03:36 AM
^ I'm almost tempted to say they based some of those characters off real supporters. Doesn't the girl sorta remind you of Connie? The drummer looks familiar as well.

Workie
06-02-2008, 05:59 AM
I hate the fact you look at the commercial and you can see the individuals they copied. Meh hate is too strong a word but it still erks me. But it could be turned into a good drinking game. "Spot Toronto Thrillos!":smilielol5:

Workie
06-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Here's my opinion from the view of a student of Advertising..

Student eh. Well for an ad that is to create top of mind for BMO. Where does in A: Make BMO stand out? B: Show a feature of BMO or a C: A Benefit?

If we are going to debate the merits of the ad we should get to the heart of what is effective advertising.

Where the hell is Toon when you need him.

Inswingingwingman
06-02-2008, 06:23 AM
The ad cranks me up, but alas, I'm an sort of old retired firefighter who got beat up over the years. The 2 hour drive to Toronto with a cataract (no night driving please), finding a ticket, the walk through Union Station to the street car, the walk from the street car to the game, and the standing up might kill me.

But It's how I'd like to go so I asked my sons for and an escort for father's day.

End of the day I go "Fuck I gotta go there, every time I see the commercial. Who will sponsor the field if Montreal gets a franchise...um um Steam Whistle Stadium! Free Beer LOL!

Can the Bank of Montreal really sponsor Toronto if Montreal gets a team?
And if the CH on Montreal hockey jerseys is for Center Hice, they need a new logo with MCM, Montreal Crying Machine. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Just wait until they play at BMO where we water our end with sprinklers and baby oil so you can't pass or run. At least to believe the LA coach, who thinks they won except for the fieldturf.

Mrs. Workie
06-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Actually, I don't see how taking a bunch of geeky looking 30 somethings and dressing them up to look like tribal warriors, resembles the south stand.

If you feel like they "stole" this from the book of RPB then you need to seriously wake up.

You didn't invent the supporters group, the concept's been around for a while, the scene dipicted there could be applied to any sport that's supported in that sorta manner.

I understand your "But what about my 15 seconds on camera!" stance but the fact of the matter is it's just an over the top commercial to send emotion to the viewer.

Not once did I saw this had to be all about RPB, or that I wanted my 15 minutes. I'm simply saying that if you're going to try to convay something, best to go right to the source.

I think you missed the point of what I was trying to say.

Oldtimer
06-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Can the Bank of Montreal really sponsor Toronto if Montreal gets a team?

Yes. BMO is based in Toronto. They haven't had more than a nominal operation in Montreal since the late 1970's, despite their name. That's why they go by BMO these days.

SarahV
06-02-2008, 10:10 AM
^ I'm almost tempted to say they based some of those characters off real supporters. Doesn't the girl sorta remind you of Connie? The drummer looks familiar as well.

I'm new here, but if Connie is the blonde who is front row on the South-East side, it's an uncanny resemblance and the first thing I thought of when I saw the commercial.

I don't care either way (I think the ad, however overblown, is visually fun), but the slogan, Concede Defeat and Go Home, irks me. It sounds like the team shows up, throws the towel in early, and knocks off to the golf course. I think they mean "If you concede defeat, then go home," Right? I find the short version vague.

alexintoronto
06-02-2008, 10:34 AM
It's a meesage to the other team -

Hey LA Galaxy - Concede Defeat and Go Home!

It looks like they listened.

stugautz
06-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Can't we sue them for misrepresenting us? They're obviously trying to pass the people in this pictures as being TFC supporters. The only stands that are offical supports stands are in the south end. And anybody who has been to a game knows that 116-118 while loud, doesn't resemble this at all. Just saying....

jabbronies
06-02-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't think it's a mockery, as much as it is a glossed up version of what it's like to be a TFC supporter.

jabbronies
06-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Yes we did create the atmosphere at BMO.
Yes we are the reason TFC is known for the having the best fanbase in the league.
Yes MLSE and BMO will try and make money off of this. IMO they have a right to. I mean it is their team. They are the ones with money invested in this team, why shouldn't they be allowed to use this as a cash grab?

joel
06-02-2008, 10:53 AM
P.S. the intended audience of the ad is not you, and they sell out every game already. the intent of the ad is to build the brand to non-soccer people, and I can't believe you even care about it.

Heathen
06-02-2008, 10:56 AM

They didn't catch him/her as far as I know because they were still walking up and down the aisle between 115/116 looking under the seats for a long time afterwards.

Razcle
06-02-2008, 10:59 AM
P.S. the intended audience of the ad is not you, and they sell out every game already. the intent of the ad is to build the brand to non-soccer people, and I can't believe you even care about it.
:hump: "Concede Defeat and GO HOME"

rocker
06-02-2008, 11:12 AM
the fact that we even see ads that have that much effort put into their creation is a good thing.
sure beats the ad KC Wiz had recently that was so low budget some kids could have made it.

Razcle
06-02-2008, 11:16 AM
the fact that we even see ads that have that much effort put into their creation is a good thing.
sure beats the ad KC Wiz had recently that was so low budget some kids could have made it.

This ad??

hNY1LD6hyeU

Jamaicanadian
06-02-2008, 11:22 AM
Student eh. Well for an ad that is to create top of mind for BMO. Where does in A: Make BMO stand out? B: Show a feature of BMO or a C: A Benefit?

If we are going to debate the merits of the ad we should get to the heart of what is effective advertising.

Where the hell is Toon when you need him.

I stand by my initial thoughts....However I do think the ad is effective because it obviously creates a feeling for people (be it positive or negative). Either way the advertiser should be happy as we have noticed it and are speaking about it...What other purpose is there for marketing/advertising ?

I dont agree with joel as I think most of us are in need of banking services to some degree and would be in the target market for this commercial.

Steve
06-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm new here, but if Connie is the blonde who is front row on the South-East side, it's an uncanny resemblance and the first thing I thought of when I saw the commercial.

I don't care either way (I think the ad, however overblown, is visually fun), but the slogan, Concede Defeat and Go Home, irks me. It sounds like the team shows up, throws the towel in early, and knocks off to the golf course. I think they mean "If you concede defeat, then go home," Right? I find the short version vague.

No, they don't mean "If you concede defeat" because that would mean nothing "if you lose, go home. Oh, and if you win, you might as well go home too".

It is a statement. This is our house. (you might as well) Concede Defeat and go home (because you sure as hell ain't getting out of here with a result).

As for the commercial, it's a commercial, get over yourselves. They aren't mocking you (can someone tell me why the hell you think a company would spend the money on making a spot, and getting it airtime, in order to mock a group of a few thousand people? Do you seriously think there is a business justification for that?). Commercials aren't meant to be reality, otherwise there's a talking Gecko and a few computers who strangely look just like people I'd like to meet. This add is meant to be done in a "300" style, over the top, over dramatic, and meant to convey emotion. I hate to break it to you, but the battle of Thermopolye (sp) wasn't like that either.

In short: Get over yourselves, find something new to bitch about.

Raging Reggie
06-02-2008, 11:38 AM
to TFC and Bank Of Montreal:

"concede defeat, and make a new commercial"

:)

olegunnar
06-02-2008, 11:40 AM
So
Any word lately on the whole stadium slogan thing that was talked about last year?
Or was that a ploy to get BMO a new catch phrase for their marketing?

Steve
06-02-2008, 11:41 AM
So
Any word lately on the whole stadium slogan thing that was talked about last year?
Or was that a ploy to get BMO a new catch phrase for their marketing?

The one they were talking about putting up in the tunnel? I'm pretty sure they went with "This is our house" as that is now up in the tunnel.

Mrs. Workie
06-02-2008, 11:43 AM
The one they were talking about putting up in the tunnel? I'm pretty sure they went with "This is our house" as that is now up in the tunnel.

Ya, that's what's there right now, as you walk out onto the pitch.

ManUtd4ever
06-02-2008, 12:06 PM
^ Good points, Keystone. We should be lucky to get the exposure we have when you consider how little the rest of the league gets. Personally, I love the commercial and I think it sheds us in a great light.

QFT!!!

SarahV
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
It is a statement. This is our house. (you might as well) Concede Defeat and go home (because you sure as hell ain't getting out of here with a result).

Oh...I thought it meant: never concede defeat, fight until the end. (At which point you can go home at the regularly appointed time; instead of early, like the sucks who gave up.)

So we are talking to the other team. Got it.

Chevy
06-02-2008, 03:11 PM

Very true. Maybe the Ultimate Warrior dude is a little over the top :taz:, but overall its a pretty good commercial.

masrawy
06-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Question: is 127 a supporters section?

Yes it is.

Funniest thing about the ad is the fake Deniz playing the lead role. I laugh every time I see fake Deniz. :taz:

If you can't tell, I think the ad is fucking stupid.

flatpicker
06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
the ad would be ok if it weren't for the bad casting.
I mean, who really though that Al Bundy in the lead role would be a good idea????

Necromancer
06-03-2008, 04:21 AM
I walk past the BMO branch at King and Bay and see the ad every morning. Hate it more and more everyday.

Oldtimer
06-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Southsiders (Vancouver WC supporters) comments on the ad:

Toronto gets it right again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AduWZk_Kxsw&feature=related

Kids don't buy tickets. Adults do. If / when we jump to MLS, this is how you advertise.

Sure the "Ultimate Warrior" guy is a wee bit much, but the tone of the ad is bang on.

I'd rather go to a game and have that experience than go to collect my McDonald's 4-pak of happy meals.

Amen. Multicultural nights and kiddies days were put to death with the Toronto Lynx.

jm5k
06-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Would you prefer a video commercial with wacky sound effects and tight zooms? Something like.... This??

"Al Harrington: Hi, I'm Al Harrington, President and CEO of Al Harrington's Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man Emporium and Warehouse! Thanks to a shipping error I am now overstocked on wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube men, and I am passing the savings on to *you*!

Attract customers to your business, make a splash at your next presentation, keep grandma company, protect your crops, confuse your neighbours! African American? Hail a cab, testify in church or just raise the roof!

Whatever your wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man needs, come on down to Al Harrington's Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man Emporium and Warehouse, route two in WEEKAPAUG!!! "

Seriously though, it's just an ad, and you're crazy if you thought BMO wouldn't capitalize on the fan experience at BMO Field. And not only is it just an advertisement, but it's actually a very good one, that is televised internationally, and one with the only message being how great TFC is, how great the fans are, and how great BMO is for making it all happen. I'm all about the advancement of Soccer in Canada and TFC as an international presence, so I will take whatever added exposure I can get.

Some of you make it sound like a Monster Truck ad for the Skydome. Relax! :D

:canada:

chip_butty
06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Here is a much much better promotional video:

http://www.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2008/shows/t102/052808_clb_open_cup_rsl_highlights_350.wmv&w_id=20820&catCode=shows&type=v_free&_mp=1

(needs sound for full effect)

GeorgeB
06-03-2008, 07:54 PM

http://www.mlsnet.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=mms%3A//a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2008/shows/t102/052808_clb_open_cup_rsl_highlights_350.wmv&w_id=20820&catCode=shows&type=v_free&_mp=1

(needs sound for full effect)LOL columbus crew back again,pick up a cellphone call a friend ! :smilielol5:

AL-MO
06-03-2008, 08:15 PM

(needs sound for full effect)

Look at all of those empty seats!:rofl:

Oldtimer
06-03-2008, 09:14 PM
The ad link only works in Internet Explorer :(

Mrs. Workie
06-03-2008, 09:35 PM
There was one the MLS did (I believe), I can't for the life of me find it- but all it was was still shots of different fans around the league. That, IMO, is way better than the BMO ones.

edmundo
06-05-2008, 02:41 AM
i particularly hate the part where that girl does that arm flail at the end like shes on the arsenio hall show back in the 90's or something, every time i see that commercial it infuriates me, its not even close to being an accurate description of what goes on in the stands, makes us all look like a bunch of weirdos, i think the impact have something to do with this since it is bank of montreal...............

Oldtimer
06-05-2008, 07:40 AM
i think the impact have something to do with this since it is bank of montreal...............

Doubt it. They are not a "partner" of the Impact despite their name:

http://www.montrealimpact.com/Partners/?language=EN

Bell is their major sponsor.

BMO is based in Toronto these days, despite their name they only have a nominal presence in Montreal.

I think the real problem is that they hired actors and a director who were probably not footie fans and told them to show "support." The result looks weird.

Steve
06-05-2008, 08:18 AM
i particularly hate the part where that girl does that arm flail at the end like shes on the arsenio hall show back in the 90's or something, every time i see that commercial it infuriates me, its not even close to being an accurate description of what goes on in the stands, makes us all look like a bunch of weirdos, i think the impact have something to do with this since it is bank of montreal...............

That part, I have to say, I agree with you. Everytime I see that girl doing her arsinio hall bit, I just shake my head. The center guy I think looks pretty good though.

Barbarez
06-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Holy fuck....imagine if all of you were spending your time making banners and flags instead of chit chatting about a stupid commercial....

Jay P
06-05-2008, 08:22 AM
There was one the MLS did (I believe), I can't for the life of me find it- but all it was was still shots of different fans around the league. That, IMO, is way better than the BMO ones.

thats the one they show at the half?

football, futebol, soccer?

love that commercial.. great shot of DC/TFC fans

Steve
06-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Holy fuck....imagine if all of you were spending your time making banners and flags instead of chit chatting about a stupid commercial....

Pfft, bullshit. Bitching about completely useless stuff is the sole reason for this board's existance.

Stencils
06-05-2008, 09:35 AM
I think the television ad is a bit silly. No intelligent person is going to think those are actual fans (at least Spartacus guy anyway). It's very well produced and looks good and sounds good so...meh.

All we have to do is focus on doing our thing at the games. If people come to see us as a spectacle, get them involved! Don't be a drunken idiot and harass people. Think enough about yourself and about your fellow supporters to keep from drinking past that 'point' (and we all have that point) and be happy to help and include the people you might not know. There's always time after the game at the bar to cross those points with pints ;)

If all of us at the game were friendly and worked hard to get the person next to us singing and joining in, I think we'd have more people doing it.

I have to give credit here to all the guys around 115 row 18. I got tickets for my first game in the supporters section this year and as soon as I finished climbing the steps and came up to my seat, those guys were all 'hey how are ya, good to have ya here, hope you're gonna sing with us'. And by god I did. That's why everytime I come back to BMO I try to get into that spot with those guys.

Say what you will about ads like that one making us supporters look like monkeys for everyone's amusement. We need to make the REALITY of an experience at BMO in the supporters section more like that one I had when I came in. For everyone.