PDA

View Full Version : Ali Gerba released by MK Dons

SweetOwnGoal
05-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Not that I think we should sign him, but... (http://www.24thminute.com/2009/05/ali-gerba-wtf.html)

Others might.

Discuss.

(there is some thought taht San Jose might have his MLS rights...I'm looking into it...)

werewolf
05-19-2009, 02:35 PM
10 goals in 24 games is pretty good in a top League 1 side.

http://www.mkdons.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10420~1661488,00.html

Free Agent as of today.

Carter
05-19-2009, 02:37 PM
WOOOOOO, more rumors. Shouldn't this be in the "Canadian Soccer Forum"?

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 02:38 PM
I love Gerba.........come on Mo....get it done. He knows how to finish!

Lucky Strike
05-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Wow, unexpected.

Razcle
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Comments didn't boad well from MK Dons Fans about Ali G...looks like he scored a few clutch goals but otherwise was invisable:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/606/A51667437

Stryker
05-19-2009, 02:40 PM
Oh oh.. this gonna cause a shitstorm of rumors around these parts.

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Oh oh.. this gonna cause a shitstorm of rumors around these parts.

Let's hope so.......this time they better pan out! :)

SweetOwnGoal
05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
WOOOOOO, more rumors. Shouldn't this be in the "Canadian Soccer Forum"?

It's not meant to be a rumour. Rather, a discussion on whether this player would be a good target for TFC. As he's Canadian -- and has played in Toronto before (for the Lynx) -- there is a natural connection, which makes it a relevant topic for this forum.

sampace
05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I would love to see Gerba in a TFC jersey. He has a good track record of scoring goals for Team Canada. Being released, perhaps they can work something out for him, and if they have to trade for his rights we can always offer Ricketts or our other seldom used midfielder, can't remember his name since we only saw him the last game for a bit of fill in time.

sampace
05-19-2009, 02:51 PM
Just remembered his name j smith.

Stryker
05-19-2009, 02:56 PM
One small problem. San Jose.

trane
05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Would love to see him of TFC.

shawn6597
05-19-2009, 02:58 PM
so its confirmed then SJ has his rights?

Carter
05-19-2009, 02:59 PM
It's not meant to be a rumour. Rather, a discussion on whether this player would be a good target for TFC. As he's Canadian -- and has played in Toronto before (for the Lynx) -- there is a natural connection, which makes it a relevant topic for this forum.

There was a discussion on whether or not he would be a good target for us, but if we deicde to attempt to get him (i don't think it will happen) we are gunna be screwed soon enough if we attempt to field a completely Canadian international team. As Mitchell is gone from the national team, there is a chance all our guys will go back and play.....

Which means Gerba, DeRo, Brennan, Serioux, Sutton all gone. Not that Sutton has been getting much playing time :rolleyes:

I don't think we can offer him enough to play here (plus we don't have grass)

Stryker
05-19-2009, 03:01 PM
CMNT call ups would decimate us.

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2009, 03:04 PM
There was a discussion on whether or not he would be a good target for us, but if we deicde to attempt to get him (i don't think it will happen) we are gunna be screwed soon enough if we attempt to field a completely Canadian international team. As Mitchell is gone from the national team, there is a chance all our guys will go back and play.....

Which means Gerba, DeRo, Brennan, Serioux, Sutton all gone. Not that Sutton has been getting much playing time :rolleyes:

I don't think we can offer him enough to play here (plus we don't have grass)

Understood but the priority should be Country before Club. I for one want to see as many examples of good Canadian talent on the best team in the land.

Regardless, he should end up here eventually if he wants to play in front of his countrymen every week.

flatpicker
05-19-2009, 03:04 PM

agreed...

we need players with no current ties to any national team.

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2009, 03:05 PM

All call ups kills us. I hate this mindset we have to adopt to succeed we need players that can't play for their home country. Ridiculous.

trane
05-19-2009, 03:05 PM
He has a good strike rate, I never understand why he does not stick with team for long.

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 03:08 PM
agreed...

I disagree......I would rather have top Canadian talent playing for TFC. If that means a crapload off on International duty...so be it. The team is here to develop Canadians to an extent, and offer them an outlet for playing. Gerba has a great strike rate and would be a welcome addition.....

We can only hope that Garber could align the schedule to fit more with the International schedule. I don't think we should stay away from domestic players because we are worried about losing them for CMNT duty....just my 2 cents....

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
He has a good strike rate, I never understand why he does not stick with team for long.

Apparently he is a bit lazy.....training wise. Winsper will kick his ass in gear!

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2009, 03:09 PM
I disagree......I would rather have top Canadian talent playing for TFC. If that means a crapload off on International duty...so be it. The team is here to develop Canadians to an extent, and offer them an outlet for playing. Gerba has a great strike rate and would be a welcome addition.....

We can only hope that Garber could align the schedule to fit more with the International schedule. I don't think we should stay away from domestic players because we are worried about losing them for CMNT duty....just my 2 cents....

+ .02

anybody want to make it a nickel's worth?

Carter
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM

+ .02

anybody want to make it a nickel's worth?

+ .01, just to make it a nickel. ;)

Stryker
05-19-2009, 03:13 PM
I never said I didn't think we should persue him.
I merely stated that CMNT are going to decimate us. Can you really argue that?

Pachuco
05-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Stryker is right though, unfortunately, it is a reality that we have to think about what players we get based on whether they will leave us for international duty. Ali doesn't seem to stick with any teams, plus he's a regular on the CMNT. I think we can do without him. Oh, and he sure as heck ain't worth DP money and I'd like to see us spend some big bucks on a striker.

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 03:18 PM
I never said I didn't think we should persue him.
I merely stated that CMNT are going to decimate us. Can you really argue that?

Of course I can't argue that......we all saw what happened last season with the WC qualifiers......but you will get that for every nation. If TFC decides to persue these higher caliber Natinal players they will obviously have to have the depth to withstand the blow. Luckily right now we have alot of quality younsters who are proving worthy of starts.

I know what you mean though, but if you foster a team where alot of the Canadian talent wants to come to play, it can only encourage more players to eventually come......JDG perhaps....:D:canada:

TFC07
05-19-2009, 03:19 PM

LOL @ Brennan being called up.

Anyway, I would welcome Ali G to the team. :scarf:

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Stryker is right though, unfortunately, it is a reality that we have to think about what players we get based on whether they will leave us for international duty. Ali doesn't seem to stick with any teams, plus he's a regular on the CMNT. I think we can do without him. Oh, and he sure as heck ain't worth DP money and I'd like to see us spend some big bucks on a striker.

I don't think I would want to pay him DP money as well....which is probably what it may come down to, but who knows.....With DeRo, Serioux, Brennan, Sutton...etc....maybe he can be convinced. who doesn't want to play in front of your country fans night in and night out!

denime
05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
agreed...

Yeah that make a lot's of sense.:rolleyes:

Why we just bring CSL players to play for TFC?

Stryker
05-19-2009, 03:25 PM
DP money for Gerba?
No. Absolutely, unequivocally, unmistakably NO.

Carter
05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
LOL @ Brennan being called up.

Anyway, I would welcome Ali G to the team. :scarf:

Brennan would be called up, if you don't remember what happened i'll refresh your memory.

I will not play under Dale Mitchell

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2009, 03:30 PM
What about for Ricketts money?

TFC07
05-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Brennan would be called up, if you don't remember what happened i'll refresh your memory.

Jimmy B is done! He isn't useful for Canada anymore. Besides, I highly doubt Jimmy B is commited to play for Canada in the future.

Stryker
05-19-2009, 03:32 PM
That'd probley be a deal for us.
IMO... 250 000 is in the ballpark.

Pachuco
05-19-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah that make a lot's of sense.:rolleyes:

Why we just bring CSL players to play for TFC?

It does make sense. Go look at DC United to understand that they obviously get players who are good enough for the MLS but not good enough for their respective national teams. Sorry, it's a reality in this league that we have to face. There are alot of very good players from other countries that we could get that don't play on their national teams. We can't all of a sudden miss our starting 11 in a game can we? the league has already shown that they aren't flexible when it comes to this.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-19-2009, 03:39 PM
National team implications aside, I think Gerba would be a prefect fit for TFC. We need another big and physical striker to match up with the leagues increasingly big and physical defenders. One with some touch, some finishing, Canadian, and under 30? What’s the downside?

Oldtimer
05-19-2009, 03:44 PM
League 1 - meh.

If he wasn't Canadian, there would be zero interest.

Nodoubtguy
05-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Deal!!!

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2009, 03:53 PM
It does make sense. Go look at DC United to understand that they obviously get players who are good enough for the MLS but not good enough for their respective national teams. Sorry, it's a reality in this league that we have to face. There are alot of very good players from other countries that we could get that don't play on their national teams. We can't all of a sudden miss our starting 11 in a game can we? the league has already shown that they aren't flexible when it comes to this.

The league has already shown that they realize their mistake and have made moves to correct as best they can. It will only cause more friction as NA football continues to grow.

Face it, sure. Embrace it, no. There's a difference.:canada:

trane
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
League 1 - meh.

If he wasn't Canadian, there would be zero interest.

I think most people are interested because they have seen him play, with the Canadian Naional team, and they liked what they saw. At least that is why I would like to see him signed with TFC.

T.Reis
05-19-2009, 04:19 PM
You people know the roster rules better then i do so if we were to get Gerba who would you drop.

I'm assuming if we get a Canadian we got to drop one so........ Sutton maybe?

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I think most people are interested because they have seen him play, with the Canadian Naional team, and they liked what they saw. At least that is why I would like to see him signed with TFC.

He knows how to get it done...I have seen him play about 4 times live and I am never disappointed...maybe his Monday to Friday work ethic is not the greatest, but from what I have seen on the field I am impressed.

rocker
05-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Gerba isn't anything special.
10 goals in 24 games in League 1 at age 27 is not that great.

he also has this strange inability to stick with a team... I seem to remember one guy, named Laurent Robert, had that problem in the last three years of his career ;)

if 8 teams in 5 years weren't interested in keeping him, I say we stay away.

Cunningham and Robert were lazy, and got roasted by TFC fans. If he's lazy too, then why would we want him? i think we can do better.

and if san Jose has his rights, it's a moot point. they need offense more than we do. they just signed that chump Cornell Glen.

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 04:26 PM
Gerba isn't anything special.
10 goals in 24 games in League 1 at age 27 is not that great.

he also has this strange inability to stick with a team... I seem to remember one guy, named Laurent Robert, had that problem in the last three years of his career ;)

if 8 teams in 5 years weren't interested in keeping him, I say we stay away.

Cunningham and Robert were lazy, and got roasted by TFC fans. If he's lazy too, then why would we want him? i think we can do better.

and if san Jose has his rights, it's a moot point. they need offense more than we do. they just signed that chump Cornell Glen.

But they were lazy on gameday......from first hand viewing of Gerba, I have seen nothing of the sort. He works his ass off to get into position and to create as well......

olegunnar
05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
send ricketts to Cali for Gerba's rights...then sign Gerba for Ricketts money

Keegan
05-19-2009, 04:30 PM
It sucks to say but in a full Canada squad Jim Brennan isn't there anymore same with Sutton. With Jakovic, Edgar and Hainault coming up it won't be long before Serioux isn't needed either.

This is of course good for TFC though.

Edit: Another youngster coming up is TFC's own Nana Attakora so I guess it's a two way street. haha

TFCREDNWHITE
05-19-2009, 04:31 PM
If it means bringing Gerba onboard and shipping out either J.Smith or Ricketts out then I say fine do it....

Again, i want to clearly state though...WE STILL NEED A DP.

Lucky Strike
05-19-2009, 04:47 PM
so its confirmed then SJ has his rights?

That's a big problem for me. Yes, we can try to trade for rights but Yallop is always very interested in Canadians so the price may be higher than we can afford.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Well it looks like San Jose Just signed a Striker from Trinidad and Tobago....Plus they friggin OWE us, we gave them Huckerby....Kinda.....

InTheCrowd
05-19-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not going to lie, I would LOVE to see Gerba play for TFC. I don't currently have a favourite player, but he'd be my favourite for sure! This guy is very talented and would be taking a domestic roster spot. It's even realistic for this guy to come here. I meen he's been all over scandinavia and ever played 3rd division Germany, I'd imagine he'd play in the MLS.

Please Mo, PLEASE!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-19-2009, 05:06 PM
I must know something.....I had a dream last night we signed GERBA! :)

InTheCrowd
05-19-2009, 05:14 PM
You people know the roster rules better then i do so if we were to get Gerba who would you drop.

I'm assuming if we get a Canadian we got to drop one so........ Sutton maybe?

Technically we don't have to drop anyone at all. We still have a roster spot open. It would be a smart decision to drop a Canadian if we don't want to waste the international roster spot we still have available.

denime
05-19-2009, 05:26 PM

I did and WTF did DC won since they implemented system of signing leftovers from around the world.
Same as we, Nothing,Nada,Zero.

Secondly MLS is taking 1 month break during the Gold Cup,so how the fuck that will have any impact on TFC,not the mention we are out of WCQ2010 too.

Selective thinking is so popular lately at this forums is beyond belief.

kdzb
05-19-2009, 05:40 PM
One small problem. San Jose.
Actually with a bit of convincing from his pal Dero, Gerba can come to MLS a la McBride by saying " I want to play only in Toronto "
San Jose will be delighted to take RR off our hands. Gerba will need his # 10 anyway:flare:
I saw these highlights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrnZP9FAk0 of Gerba and most of his goals were assists from Dero. They look like they have great chemistry when they play together.

PLEEESE Dero make him come to TFC.:scarf:

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-19-2009, 05:46 PM
There’s a lot of players being released in England right now who might work out for TFC. Carl Cort just got released:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/8056142.stm

I’m not sure what his injury status is (he’s been out a while with a foot problem). He’s about 4 years older than Gerba, but, arguably, a better player.

Pachuco
05-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I did and WTF did DC won since they implemented system of signing leftovers from around the world.
Same as we, Nothing,Nada,Zero.

Secondly MLS is taking 1 month break during the Gold Cup,so how the fuck that will have any impact on TFC,not the mention we are out of WCQ2010 too.

Selective thinking is so popular lately at this forums is beyond belief.

You are talking about the same team that won the Supporter's shield in 2006 and 2007. Also came in third place in the Concacaf Champions Cup in 2007. Not to mention you are talking about the same team that is in first place right now. Yeah I guess they've won nothing lately. Same as TFC huh?

If DC had 9 absences in 2007 during international play I can just about guarantee they wouldn't have accomplished anything. Supporter's Shield stands for longevity and consistency throughout the season. Nothing could prove to you more that having their complete squad the entire season helped them in achieving that.

Ageroo
05-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Actually with a bit of convincing from his pal Dero, Gerba can come to MLS a la McBride by saying " I want to play only in Toronto "
San Jose will be delighted to take RR off our hands. Gerba will need his # 10 anyway:flare:
I saw these highlights http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnrnZP9FAk0 of Gerba and most of his goals were assists from Dero. They look like they have great chemistry when they play together.

PLEEESE Dero make him come to TFC.:scarf:

I actually have never seen that video.....how can you not like that! :D

zeelaw
05-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Sign him... wasnt he baggin tons of goals for dons?

ryencoke
05-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Everything Ageroo and Fort York have posted about Gerba is true, he is a very different player from training to actual game day experiance.

I would love to see Gerba suit up, give SJ Ricketts sign Gerba.

As an added bonus he comes complete with his own chants ;)

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Gerba would be a nice signing...would the Dons have released him if they won their playoff match?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2009, 08:36 PM

this is why im hesitant to sign him, how many clubs has he played for in how many years?

bit sketchy that, thats not to say that he doesnt necessarily produce at the club level in the same way that he produces for the CMNT

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Gerba was here in Toronto and I'm told even trained with the club. It was literally a day after I heard he was here that the MK Dons announcement was made. I was very disappointed needless to say.

It appears there was interest then. Is there interest now is the question.

In the usector version of this thread dbailey62 indicated that Gerba has recently trained with TFC.

InTheCrowd
05-19-2009, 09:22 PM
In the usector version of this thread dbailey62 indicated that Gerba has recently trained with TFC.

Did he by any chance provide a link?

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-19-2009, 09:28 PM
No, but I tend to think if you’re getting "insider" info. you’ll hear about it this way before you read about in a "link". A TFC example comes to mind, I heard about TFC trialing Marc Bircham on a messageboard three or four days earlier than it made it into more conventional media.

Blizzard
05-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Did he by any chance provide a link?

Last year guys, last year. Prior to his signing with MK Dons. Definitely not recently.

InTheCrowd
05-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Last year guys, last year. Prior to his signing with MK Dons. Definitely not recently.

You sure about this?

Blizzard
05-19-2009, 09:33 PM

I think it said last year prior to his signing with MK Dons.

Blizzard
05-19-2009, 09:36 PM
You sure about this?

Obviously I didn't see him with my own eyes but he definitely was sighted on the pitch with the team.

I suppose he was on trial ... or may be he just came out for a run ... but either way, he was out there.

It was right about the time that Johann signed. There were rumours about a signing going on at the time and I just figured, ah, hopefully it will be Ali G but it didn't work out that way did it.

InTheCrowd
05-19-2009, 09:39 PM
If he already trialed and left for England I don't see the chances of him coming here that high. It's to bad, I was really hoping he'd come!

Blizzard
05-19-2009, 09:54 PM
If he already trialed and left for England I don't see the chances of him coming here that high. It's to bad, I was really hoping he'd come!

We can hope of course. I would imagine that other League One clubs would have a go at him. His games to goals ration wasn't bad based on what I read over at Wiki.

Ten goals in 24 games is pretty decent. The only thing better is his eleven goals in 23 games for Canada. :)

Fort York Redcoat
05-20-2009, 07:20 AM

Could it have been around the Jamaica game when Canada was in town? Hope not.:scarf:

SilverSamurai
05-20-2009, 09:51 AM
I say sign him!
Obviously things can't get much worst then how they are now. Maybe this striker won't choke!
And best of all he's got a wicked chant!

prizby
05-20-2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.24thminute.com/2009/05/ali-gerba-wtf.html

possibility?

edit: I realize San Jose has his MLS rights

Lucky Strike
05-20-2009, 01:21 PM
At the risk of bursting your bubble, there is a thread about this not too far away.

prizby
05-20-2009, 01:24 PM
wow i must be really drunk right now, i totally missssssed it and i went through 3 pages here searching for ali gerba

sorry :S

prizby
05-20-2009, 01:25 PM
seeing as I totally missed this, thread, sign him!

Stryker
05-20-2009, 01:27 PM
wow i must be really drunk right now, i totally missssssed it

http://innocentdrinks.typepad.com/dev/images/2007/10/22/fonzie.jpg

Still not as cool as the Fonze but damnit you're trying

Ageroo
05-20-2009, 01:28 PM
seeing as I totally missed this, thread, sign him!

haha...it is listed in the hottest threads..........come on now! :)

denime
05-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Merged

prizby
05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
Merged

thanks and sorry

haha...it is listed in the hottest threads..........come on now! :)

i don't really look at those :S

trane
05-20-2009, 01:30 PM
If we do not sign him do not be suprised if he is playing for Montreal next time we play them.

prizby
05-20-2009, 01:31 PM
If we do not sign him do not be suprised if he is playing for Montreal next time we play them.

i believe san jose owns his rights

Stryker
05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Redundancy is a way of life for you isn't it?

poppamidnight
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm not going to let my Canadian pride blind me in my assessment here.

From what i've heard about the work ethic, and moving that over to the work-ethic i've seen AS A WHOLE (not just looking at his highlight-reels) while watching him for Canada, I'm not sure i'd be sold on him,\

Cunningham? Samuel?

I guess it would all boil down to his asking price for me...

That all said, I'm so frustrated with Barrett's lack of finish, that i'd actually take him over Chad right now....as a matter of fact, that's who i'd dangle to San Jose, to possibly milk them for a allocation or a draft pick as well....

But with Mo moves would be looked at for the cap-hit...

How much is San Jose willing to eat? How much can they eat? Who else can eat salary right now? Move our DP slot this yr?
What's the situation with Jamie Smith right now?
With Rohan Ricketts future with the club in lite of that?
All these questions would need to be answered by Mo before he'd look at making a move on Gerba

trane
05-20-2009, 01:46 PM
^ He may not have a great work rate, but he finishes on a consistent basis, alot of great strikes can be accused of the same. We need a finisher. Historicaly he has been a finisher, and similar or higher levels then ours. There is no reason to believe he could not finish here.

trane
05-20-2009, 01:47 PM

I am not sure if that affects Montreal's ability to sign him, as they are not in the MLS.

Ageroo
05-20-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm not going to let my Canadian pride blind me in my assessment here.

From what i've heard about the work ethic, and moving that over to the work-ethic i've seen AS A WHOLE (not just looking at his highlight-reels) while watching him for Canada, I'm not sure i'd be sold on him,\

Cunningham? Samuel?

I guess it would all boil down to his asking price for me...

That all said, I'm so frustrated with Barrett's lack of finish, that i'd actually take him over Chad right now....as a matter of fact, that's who i'd dangle to San Jose, to possibly milk them for a allocation or a draft pick as well....

But with Mo moves would be looked at for the cap-hit...

How much is San Jose willing to eat? How much can they eat? Who else can eat salary right now? Move our DP slot this yr?
What's the situation with Jamie Smith right now?
With Rohan Ricketts future with the club in lite of that?
All these questions would need to be answered by Mo before he'd look at making a move on Gerba

^ He may not have a great work rate, but he finishes on a consistent basis, alot of great strikes can be accused of the same. We need a finisher. Historicaly he has been a finisher, and similar or higher levels then ours. There is no reason to believe he could not finish here.

With that being said by both....I see your reluctancy poppamidnight, but as trane said he is a finisher. Something we have not really had...and as I said earlier in the thread with the videos out of the picture. First hand seeing him play multiple times, he works very hard....I think the work ethic issue stems from the Monday to Friday training sessions...but yes, It does come down to how much he wants. Even though for lower league teams in Europe he has made a good wage....that does not mean I would pay him the same. He should expect a big pay cut if he comes to TFC.

Stryker
05-20-2009, 02:00 PM
I think they're gonna stand pat on the striker situation until they see what O'Brian White can do.

Vitti, Barrett, Dichio, Smith, Fuad, White. Alotta arrows in the quiver for a team that hasen't hit the target much.

alexintoronto
05-20-2009, 02:03 PM
Ricketts for Gerba

Stryker
05-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Ricketts for Gerba
That seems to be the general consensus.
Hopefully he wouldn't cost us too much more salary wise.

Blizzard
05-20-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm thinking 50% of RR's remaining salary for the season.

Keegan
05-20-2009, 04:06 PM
http://www.moocamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31659

Seems MK Don fans really rated him and can't believe he's been let go.

TorontoBlades
05-20-2009, 04:21 PM
http://www.moocamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=31659

Seems MK Don fans really rated him and can't believe he's been let go.

Having a lower league team "a bit diappointed" to have him gone is harly flattering for a player that we're wishing to make an impact

more interesting is to see where Tore Andre Flo has spiraled to in his career...remember when he was one of the biggest names in Euro football

prizby
05-20-2009, 04:28 PM
I am not sure if that affects Montreal's ability to sign him, as they are not in the MLS.

what i meant was MLS rights

poppamidnight
05-20-2009, 05:15 PM

Nah, Can't say i'd like that.

Ricketts makes $165,000
Chad makes like $200,000

Your gunan need to move Ricketts + Keeper....

Personally, I have more faith in Ricketts regaining his form than I do Barrett. Rohan's problem is only the failure this year to beat men 1-on-1 (something not that hard to get back). Chad's having a problem finding the net, but it's a problem he had back in Chicago that made them eager to make him the piece for McBride.

That said...Ideally what I'd like to see happen with this team in lite of recent news:

1 - Barrett to SJ for allocation OR pick + Rights to Gerba
2 - RR + Edwards to somewhere for a lesser contract (a utility D-man) + draft pick
...and after #2 happens
3 - Sign Jamie Smith

If we can fit in both Gerba + Smith, it would put us in a better position to be the MLS favourites this yr,
But it all boils down to how much $$$ we'd be able to move

Ageroo
05-20-2009, 05:19 PM
Anyone know how much allocation money we still have?????

Yohan
05-20-2009, 05:45 PM
SJ really needs a striker too, and if Gerba does come to MLS (which we know nothing of this), I think Yallop might do his best to keep Gerba

InTheCrowd
05-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Let's not forget we have Barrett on a VERY long contract, that's worth something!

Brooker
05-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Replacing Ricketts?

is Gerba good with a microphone? any sources?

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Nah, Can't say i'd like that.

Ricketts makes $165,000
Chad makes like $200,000

Your gunan need to move Ricketts + Keeper....

Personally, I have more faith in Ricketts regaining his form than I do Barrett. Rohan's problem is only the failure this year to beat men 1-on-1 (something not that hard to get back). Chad's having a problem finding the net, but it's a problem he had back in Chicago that made them eager to make him the piece for McBride.

That said...Ideally what I'd like to see happen with this team in lite of recent news:

1 - Barrett to SJ for allocation OR pick + Rights to Gerba
2 - RR + Edwards to somewhere for a lesser contract (a utility D-man) + draft pick
...and after #2 happens
3 - Sign Jamie Smith

If we can fit in both Gerba + Smith, it would put us in a better position to be the MLS favourites this yr,
But it all boils down to how much $$$ we'd be able to move

Jamie smith? i have a cousin who is a Aberdeen supporter who says
Jamie Smith is shite...so lets not sign him..Gerba would be better if
he wants to come back here.

InTheCrowd
05-20-2009, 07:45 PM
He's a top quality striker taking up a domestic squad spot. I'm happy as long as we don't have to give up to much to San Jose and his salary isn't huge.

Damien
05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Let's not forget we have Barrett on a VERY long contract, that's worth something!

I'd say that's working against us at the moment.

InTheCrowd
05-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I'd say that's working against us at the moment.

It wasn't last season. He'll pick up his game eventually. He still has the most goal out of all our strikers.

Damien
05-20-2009, 08:12 PM
It wasn't last season. He'll pick up his game eventually. He still has the most goal out of all our strikers.

That's not saying much.

Marco2K
05-20-2009, 08:47 PM
How about we pass on gerba and smith. Ship out rickets and pick up Luis Figo and move dero up to stricker.

Fuck all these second rate guys. We need a guy who is cluth.

Yohan
05-20-2009, 08:52 PM
How about we pass on gerba and smith. Ship out rickets and pick up Luis Figo and move dero up to stricker.

Fuck all these second rate guys. We need a guy who is cluth.
good luck trying to attract those top rated players

InTheCrowd
05-20-2009, 08:59 PM

Our plastic pitch is very helpful!

poppamidnight
05-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Yellllooooouuuuuuwwww????

Didn't you get the Memo?
This isn't a new thing with Chad...
Same thing happened with him in Chi-town,
that's why they were soo EAGER to have him the one in the deal

I believe it was Rolfe Mo was after if I remember correctly. Then the league 'stepped in' (aka pressured us to get the deal done with instead of holding out longer)

Long contract @ $200,000 in this league with a player who has no finish (and a history of having no finish) = definitely a bad thing

As a Vancouver Canucks fan, I hear MLSE has a history of bad contracts...

Chad Barrett = Pavel Kubina = Jason Kapono

prizby
05-20-2009, 10:25 PM
sorry but kapono was not as bad as the VC trade, buying out Mourning and let him walk while paying him to do so, Hakeem signing, and trading away matt bonner

Ossington Mental Youth
05-20-2009, 10:26 PM

especially when theyve retired and we are in the MLS and in Toronto

Keegan
05-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Having a lower league team "a bit diappointed" to have him gone is harly flattering for a player that we're wishing to make an impact

more interesting is to see where Tore Andre Flo has spiraled to in his career...remember when he was one of the biggest names in Euro football

Buddy this is MLS. A top League 1 team is definitely comparable to an MLS team. So yes having fans disappointed means something.

rocker
05-20-2009, 10:51 PM
Buddy this is MLS. A top League 1 team is definitely comparable to an MLS team. So yes having fans disappointed means something.

so if he'd been dumped by San Jose (considering you find these leagues comparable) you'd want him?? ;)

jloome
05-20-2009, 10:56 PM
Gerba had 10 goals in limited time with Dons, and the OVERWHELMING view of that fansite is that they're generally "gutted" to see him go; only a few were "a bit disappointed."

Note this comment from the third page:
""Why oh why have we let Gerba go, a fantastic finisher who is capable of getting 15-20 goals with a good, full season. Big mistake I think. ""

I've never been sold on Gerba, but the last couple of years he's really come along and it would be foolish for us not to try to get him, given our predicament upfront.

Kaz
05-20-2009, 11:20 PM
so if he'd been dumped by San Jose (considering you find these leagues comparable) you'd want him?? ;)
I don't think he was dumped, he was wanted, just the English side offered him a better prospects in his mind, from what I've read (all conjecture of course) he wants to be in Europe because that is where the money is, but that might be outta his system now.

That being said I think we could find a better Striker the Gerba.

Blizzard
05-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I don't think he was dumped, he was wanted, just the English side offered him a better prospects in his mind, from what I've read (all conjecture of course) he wants to be in Europe because that is where the money is, but that might be outta his system now.

That being said I think we could find a better Striker the Gerba.

It hasn't happened yet has it?

jloome
05-21-2009, 12:04 AM
He started out in MLS, when he was Ali Ngon, right? With the Fusion?

I wonder what his rights would cost us.

Ageroo
05-21-2009, 12:13 AM

As I said...how much allocation money do we have.........I love the guy and think he is what we need....but does he want to play here is more the question......

ensco
05-21-2009, 07:29 AM

If it's less than 100K in allocation, I might be willing to get it a whirl.

I don't think Mo's ready to write off his Vitti/Barrett investment yet, though, so I doubt it'll happen

trane
05-21-2009, 09:52 AM
Gerba had 10 goals in limited time with Dons, and the OVERWHELMING view of that fansite is that they're generally "gutted" to see him go; only a few were "a bit disappointed."

Note this comment from the third page:
""Why oh why have we let Gerba go, a fantastic finisher who is capable of getting 15-20 goals with a good, full season. Big mistake I think. ""

I've never been sold on Gerba, but the last couple of years he's really come along and it would be foolish for us not to try to get him, given our predicament upfront.

Bottom line for me, is that he is a good striker, and proven striker at least at MLS like level of football, and higher, who, because of the connection to the country, we have an opportunity to talk to seriously about comming over to play for us, unless Mo does not rate him in the same way as we do, for the most part, it would be silly not to at least talk to him.

Pachuco
05-21-2009, 10:14 AM
If it's less than 100K in allocation, I might be willing to get it a whirl.

I don't think Mo's ready to write off his Vitti/Barrett investment yet, though, so I doubt it'll happen

Yeah I think somewhere around that number sounds right. That's what we got for Huckerby right? and he was playing at a higher level in Europe no?

K1nG
05-23-2009, 07:00 PM
He has scored some beautiful goals for Canada and seems to have great chemistry with DeRo. Not to mention he does hold the 2nd place spot in Lynxx all time scoring. I think he is worth a trial. Especially considering our striking issues this season.

K1nG
05-23-2009, 07:02 PM
He scored 10 goals in 24 appearances. Mind you many of those I would assume to be substitutions so lets say he scored 10 goals in less than 24 starts this past season.

spezz44
05-23-2009, 07:11 PM
first issue is San Jose has his rights, but ya id love to see him here.

Stryker
05-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Gerba got released !?! No way!

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13560

sampace
05-23-2009, 07:48 PM
From what I remember TFC was interested in Gerba last fall but he signed elsewhere because of the field. So unless grass is on it's way I don't see Gerba coming here...but who knows of all the rumors.

East Ham
05-23-2009, 11:56 PM
i think i'd still prefer a centreback to gerba

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giourkas_Seitaridis

hmmm