PDA

View Full Version : Carl Robinson update

Across_The_Pond
06-01-2008, 10:40 AM
Holland 2 Wales 0

Just finished watching the Welsh game against the Dutch in the final warm up match for them going into the Euro's. Holland had about 25+ attempts on goal, they had around 75% posession in the game. We just couldn't get the ball off them, as Toshack (our manager) said before the game it would be like the Alamo and he was right.

Saying that the average age of the squad was around the 22 year old mark, with hardly any Premiership players on the field up against players like Robben, Sneijder, van Nistelrooy and van der Vaart! Robben, the ex-Chelsea man capitalised on Robbo's misplaced header to sprint 40 yards past Gunter and slide the ball past helpless Hennessey to open the scoring. He did play alright but it's difficult to judge an individual performance when your forced to play on the back foot for near enough 90 minutes.

To be fair though it was a footballing lesson, and Wales were always going to be up against it. Nevertheless a brave effort from such a young team.

jabbronies
06-01-2008, 10:58 AM
so how did Robo play??

Across_The_Pond
06-01-2008, 11:05 AM
so how did Robo play??

Sorry! Just read the post again and I didn't even mention how he played! :confused:

He played the first 45 and was subbed. Other than the mistake which evidently led to the goal he didn't do much else wrong. Put in a few good tackles one of which was against Robben in the box which would have resulted in a goal I reckon. Solid display from the midfielder but was made to chase for the majority of the half.

kdzb
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
I guess it's time for Robo to retire from international play and focus on TFC.
I'm sure he will be a great coach here in Canada when he retire from football all together.
I hope he will stay in Canada and help the TFC Academy with Jimmy

jabbronies
06-01-2008, 11:31 AM
Sorry! Just read the post again and I didn't even mention how he played! :confused:

He played the first 45 and was subbed. Other than the mistake which evidently led to the goal he didn't do much else wrong. Put in a few good tackles one of which was against Robben in the box which would have resulted in a goal I reckon. Solid display from the midfielder but was made to chase for the majority of the half.

Does he play the same role for wales as he does tfc?? He seems to be the pivot guy on the field.

Razcle
06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I guess it's time for Robo to retire from international play and focus on TFC.
I'm sure he will be a great coach here in Canada when he retire from football all together.
I hope he will stay in Canada and help the TFC Academy with Jimmy

I can't agree with you there...as much as I love Robbo as a strong DM for TFC, I love it just as much when he is not there for a game or two allowing the fans to see some of the guys off the bench fight for a spot.

Unfortunatly we have a pretty clear idea of who the starting 5 midfields are game in and out because (beside Edu) they are all a step above the guys off the bench. Even then Edu is getting to be a regular for the USMNT which means his abilities should only rise....International call-ups allow us to see what we have for depth incase injuries happen this season. We need our bench guys in there everyonce in a while IMO.:taz:

Ron Manager
06-01-2008, 12:14 PM
I can't agree with you there...as much as I love Robbo as a strong DM for TFC, I love it just as much when he is not there for a game or two allowing the fans to see some of the guys off the bench fight for a spot.

Unfortunatly we have a pretty clear idea of who the starting 5 midfields are game in and out because (beside Edu) they are all a step above the guys off the bench. Even then Edu is getting to be a regular for the USMNT which means his abilities should only rise....International call-ups allow us to see what we have for depth incase injuries happen this season. We need our bench guys in there everyonce in a while IMO.:taz:

I agree with most of what you said here but I can't honestly say I saw any decrease in our midfield play yesterday with a few subs. I'm sure that's partly due to the fact that the Galaxy are a one trick pony and without Becks and Landy, they have nothing. I have to say, Harmse played well, Smith looks better and better the more minutes he gets and even Attakora-Gyan looked good for a few brief minutes at the end. I think our midfield depth is fine and I have no worries over any of those guys starting. If only we had the same depth up front.......

Blazer
06-01-2008, 12:16 PM
so how did Robo play??

How does he always play? Consistent but never a difference maker.

nascarguy
06-01-2008, 12:45 PM
:party:go Holland go:party: