PDA

View Full Version : 10 Games in 3-3-4, next 10 games is key to the season

trane
05-19-2009, 11:47 AM
We are clearly a better team since Cummins took over. The record is one win from what I was hoping for, 4-3-3, by this time. We did not look terrible against Chicago. Two things kept us back, two defensive lapses, the first one being more igrecious then the second, and the lack of finishing. Further, while I welcome Cummins willigness and ability to adapt, I hope that we do not go overboard with it, to allow consistent play.

The next 10 games are the key to the season. This is the time that we traditional seem to flounder, and play ourselves out of playoff contention. I think that we can avoid it this year. However, the key issues that were issues at the begining of the season still are, to some extent. Barret is not the striker we need. I have liked his play alot but not as the lone upfront stiker, I am puzzled as to why Cummins seems to show a similar loyalty to him as Carver did. Again love Barrets play in a more "wing" position. While I am pleased with the three CBs Serioux, Attakora and Velez, we can still use one more CB to step forward, and I am worried about the mistakes that were made. I am not sure if it was Frei or the CBs to blame on the first one, one the second one, one of the CB should have been aware of the runner and shuold have either marked or better been there to clear the ball. I have to say that while Serioux has been huge for us I think Attakora is the future, and I would not mind him being teamed up with a experinced CB, comming from a top league.

I also am still a bit frustrated at the lack of playing time for Dichio. Anyway I happy overall with Cummins, but the next 10 games can make or brake this year, and/or his future as the field manager for TFC.

Stryker
05-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Call me crazy but I'd like to see us try a true 3-4-1-2 for just one game to see how it pans out.

---Wynne----Serioux---Brennen--
--------Cronin-----Robo---------
Vitti------------------------DeRo
------------Guevara-------------
--------Dichio-----Barrett--------

trane
05-19-2009, 11:56 AM
^ It is not a bad formation for the players we have and it puts all our top offensive players on the field. I would only make room for Attakora.

Yohan
05-19-2009, 12:10 PM
if you're going to go 3 in the back, put Attakora instead of Wynne. Wynne is a terrible CB

AdamZ
05-19-2009, 12:11 PM
agreed. I'd rather see Wynne play as a winger than a defender, honestly. We need wingers too.

trane
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
Just to make it clear when I said 3-3-4 I was talking about our record, not the formation.

I prefer four at the back, but I understand the use of 3 by Cummins.

Candu_88
05-19-2009, 12:12 PM
That is basically a 3-4-3 formation which has not withstood the test of time. Finishing is not our strength so weakening the defense to generate more chances is not the right strategy for this team.

We don't have true wingers for 4-4-2 or true wing-backs for an effective 3-5-2. That is why in my opinion 4-3-3 has worked best for TFC so far this year. However DeRo playing as wide left forward isn't working as well as putting him in-the-hole behind the strikers would.

TFC is much improved team this year but the squad hasn't got the perfect balance yet. I like the fact that Cummins is trying new tactics and that makes it tougher for the other teams to prepare to play us.

trane
05-19-2009, 12:18 PM
^ I have liked us the best when we have played a 4-3-3 with Dichio upfront. I hope that we see the formation as our base formation, and then tinker with it as needed.

I think that Wynne could be developed in a wing-back type player.

CoachGT
05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
I'd go a little further - 3-4-2-1, with Dichio up front leading Barrett and De Ro. And under the right circumstances, I might switch Vitti and Barrett. Ball held up by Dichio, who then lays off to either of the next pair, both of whom should be able to strike and finish, especially if Dichio opens up the space for them.