PDA

View Full Version : Toronto FC vs Chicago RATINGS... (fail)

Carts
05-19-2009, 11:42 AM
CBC National 1530-1800 Toronto vs Chicago: 47,000 (24,000 in Ontario) :(

Hopefully it was just the long weekend that killed the ratings this weekend...

Comparable / sports during Saturday afternoon...
Sportsnet 1300-1600 Jays vs Sox: 317,000 (146,000 in Otario)
Sportsnet 1630-1930 Memorial Cup: 209,000 (63,000 in Ontario)
TSN 1300-1800 Tennis Masters Series: 206,000
CBC National 1400-1530 Diving: 52,000 (13,000 in Onatrio)

Carts...

Ladies Love Julius James
05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Beaten by diving LOOOOL

MG42
05-19-2009, 11:52 AM
diving? There has to be a mistake :lol:

Nuvinho
05-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Beaten by diving LOOOOL

Why were people watching Columbus and GBS play, instead of us?

kodiakTFC
05-19-2009, 11:54 AM
We're a niche sport, get use to it! Ratings will dwindle but as long as we stay where we are right now and move up steadily, there wont be any issues.

MrHawk
05-19-2009, 11:59 AM
We had higher ratings in Ontario than diving.

Granted, I imagine TFC's support does not extend that much further outside of Ontario.

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2009, 12:01 PM
i watched the game from quebec city

but thats just one :(

ps

people watch soccer in groups
people dont watch diving in groups

still sad numbers though, pathetic population we have

Northern Soul
05-19-2009, 12:02 PM
Three of us watched it at the bar this weekend....almost wish I hadn't. :(

dantdot
05-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Those must have been taken after the half :D

dupont
05-19-2009, 12:04 PM
It will be tough for soccer ratings in this country to get a bigger boost until more regions than just Ontario get MLS teams. Vancouver should help a bit and then adding Montreal would help even more. That would have the West Coast, Quebec and Ontario covered and those are the 3 hugely populated regions in Canada. I would think the games between the Canadian teams would get pretty nice ratings. (I hope)

sulfur
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
About 25 of us watched it on a porch in the pouring rain at a soccer tournament on Saturday. Heh. Bet we counted as "1".

Calvin
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM
does anyone know how ratings work?

three people watching it in a bar will yeild the same ratings as if they watch it on three separate tvs at home, unless you are a one in a thousand who is being monitored. bars are likely to have one of those thousand boxes, so realistically you are more likely to be helping ratings by keeping it on in the bar.

Dave67
05-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Beaten by diving LOOOOL

On the field and off it LOL (Blanco you fat bastard!)

Super
05-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Yeah, it's true that footy fans will watch the games in large groups - but unfortunately the ratings do not come with an asterix. Whatever, the product is just too poor to hope for greater numbers. Fake pitch, lack of roof to REALLY punch through the atmosphere - these are investments that needs to be made for us to be a proper club. Maybe some day. Maybe some day with different management. Who knows.

Beach_Red
05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Yeah, it's true that footy fans will watch the games in large groups - but unfortunately the ratings do not come with an asterix. Whatever, the product is just too poor to hope for greater numbers. Fake pitch, lack of roof to REALLY punch through the atmosphere - these are investments that needs to be made for us to be a proper club. Maybe some day. Maybe some day with different management. Who knows.

Will those things make any difference to the TV audience?

Let's see what the ratings are for a playoff game.

The Kingpin
05-19-2009, 02:47 PM
Maybe if promoted correctly Guevara's diving could be an even greater spectacle!! He's great for ratings! Oh, and let's make sure we suppress the media, that'll get more people to watch!

GhostPK
05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
We had higher ratings in Ontario than diving.

Granted, I imagine TFC's support does not extend that much further outside of Ontario.

True... I mean TFC in Vancoucer isn't that far from Ontario.....

WEST COAST REDS!:scarf::flare::canada:

kodiakTFC
05-19-2009, 03:56 PM
A good point was raised, once Mtl and Van come into the league the interest in this country will sky rocket. Also, once the World Cup comes around expect a rise in ratings as well. My guess is MLS/TFC don't get to their maximum potential in Canada until we make a World Cup.

ExiledRed
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Will those things make any difference to the TV audience?

Let's see what the ratings are for a playoff game.

People are wise to the fact the on field product is underdeveloped and unexciting. The pitch makes for inhibited play and the lack of roof robs the broadcast of atmosphere.

Beach_Red
05-19-2009, 04:16 PM
People are wise to the fact the on field product is underdeveloped and unexciting. The pitch makes for inhibited play and the lack of roof robs the broadcast of atmosphere.

Maybe. I saw a clip on YouTube of the Belfast Giants playing some english team in hockey and you're right - I wouldn't watch a whole game on TV.

So, I'm just curious, do you think soccer has any future in North America?

AdamZ
05-19-2009, 05:48 PM
That Columbus game must have scared everyone off.

Those who weren't scared off probably are now.

denime
05-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Long weekend ,no wonder numbers are down.

Brooker
05-20-2009, 12:34 AM
games on CBC this year

Game 1: 0 goals
Game 2: 1 goal
Game 3: 1 goal
Game 4: 1 goal
Game 5: 1 goal
Game 6: 0 goals

I'm surprised the non diehards are watching at all anymore. lol.

we play such a boring brand of soccer at home this year.

dupont
05-20-2009, 11:50 AM
About 25 of us watched it on a porch in the pouring rain at a soccer tournament on Saturday. Heh. Bet we counted as "1".

Actually the 25 of you counted as zero most likely. TV Ratings aren't based on the actual number of people watching something. It's an estimation based on a poll of a few thousand people and then extrapolated across the entire country. I would guess it's not nearly as accurate as people think.

So unless you are one of the very few people selected to have all your tv viewing monitored than your view doesn't count and they just estimate based on the responses of those people that are chosen to report.

Kaz
05-20-2009, 11:57 AM
I think part of the problem is the fact that, as has been said, people get together to watch the game, I was in Toronto for a month recent, (and hope to return permanently ASAP) I didn't once watch a game I couldn't go see live, at home, I was either at Joe's for away games or Football Factory for home games. It's much more enjoyable watching in groups.

ensco
05-20-2009, 01:18 PM

They're also wise to the fact that they don't recognize the name of a single player in MLS.

MLS just will never be a valuable TV property in its current form.

Saturday at 4pm is the worst slot of the weekend, btw. There's a reason the Jays never start their home games then.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-20-2009, 01:48 PM
The numbers equate to homes not people.

The Ontario numbers are embarrassing…in this market, the game was on a network the gets to every home…weather was cold and damp…everyone was indoors…good match up…there were almost as many homes watching as people in the park!!!

It’s not even attracting “hardcore” footy fans…apparently at my Club they switched to golf at halftime.

TFC is the niche sport not football…well back of the pack…and behind diving…

C.Ronaldo
05-20-2009, 02:24 PM
how do they track people that use Antenna?

a lot of ppl get cbc via the antenna

standupforthetfc
05-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Kk the way ratings work is that they do not track everybody. They have a core group of people who have a tracker in their televisions and then based on this sample they make assumptions on what the total population is watching. If you think that they track every single television including yours you're crazy haha.

More information here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_Ratings

Sorry missed dupont's comment

tfcmanu
05-20-2009, 03:23 PM
At the cottage No Tv about 15 TFC fans so we could'nt see game I thing alot of people were in the same situation.

zeelaw
05-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Beaten by diving LOOOOL
lol this cant be for real lol