PDA

View Full Version : GOL TV Programming

nfitz
05-19-2009, 10:01 AM
I noticed on my IPG that GOL TV has a program called "Toronto FC Today" airing starting at 6 pm today (Tuesday) ... and apparently every day this week. The information is pretty scant on their website, which only provides TV Listings up to tomorrow. The schedule also shows that they start airing a May 16th post-game show today (10 AM, noon, 10:30 pm), etc. - though I don't think they aired anything on Saturday - and the 1-hour game summary.

Is this Toronto FC Today a daily program? Is Extra Time history? And when does this package of MLS games that Paul mentioned start to air - I'm presuming that this is something that starts when all the league coverage they currently have ends.

Nuvinho
05-19-2009, 10:15 AM
I think maybe now MLSE finally has control over GolTV. I notice all game in an hour, is also there.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-19-2009, 10:19 AM
this looks promising as more TFC coverage is great...

menefreghista
05-19-2009, 10:36 AM
A soccer game is approximately 90 minutes plus a few minutes of extra time each half.

Instead of a 'Game In An Hour', a full repeat would be much more appreciated.

Seems kind of silly to turn a 90 minute game into a 60 minute TV program.

nfitz
05-19-2009, 11:00 AM
For non-live programming, a 60-minute program, there is somewhere from 12 to 18 minutes of commercials. So a 90-minute game would require a 2-hour slot.

menefreghista
05-19-2009, 11:09 AM
For non-live programming, a 60-minute program, there is somewhere from 12 to 18 minutes of commercials. So a 90-minute game would require a 2-hour slot.

I realize that.

Its not like there is no room on Gol TV's schedule to replay the game. They are showing 'Game In An Hour' four times between today and tomorrow!

dantdot
05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
Where's Paulie B been? Never mind, just checked his twitter "To do list: budgets, budgets, get freakin' friendly match announced, wake up, more budgets."

Nuvinho
05-19-2009, 05:02 PM
watching it now on GolTV.

Nuvinho
05-19-2009, 05:33 PM
there is a lot of Toronto FC stuff now on GolTV.....good job!!

London
05-19-2009, 05:36 PM
cant wait till we get the 40 something "other" MLS games they are promising!

Shep
05-19-2009, 05:58 PM
Ok Gol TV is my new favorite station...

Just watched the Off the Pitch.. all one big Cummins interview.

And I may be a victim of smooth talking, but what a great interview!!
Couldn't be happier that he is the man behind the squad now.

...and gol tv.. nice work!!

:scarf::scarf::scarf:

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Toronto FC today and off the Pitch are great TFC related shows, that were long over due.

mlsintoronto
05-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Where's Paulie B been? Never mind, just checked his twitter "To do list: budgets, budgets, get freakin' friendly match announced, wake up, more budgets."

Still lurking. Generally speaking the issues being discussed lately are ones where if I open my fat mouth I'll only get myself into trouble.

I'll be back soon to get suggestions on programming. So you can discuss here: what type of program do u want to see?

If rpb had a show what would it look like?

Rudi
05-19-2009, 07:04 PM
I'll be back soon to get suggestions on programming. So you can discuss here: what type of program do u want to see?
OUT OF MARKET MLS GAMES!!!

loconet
05-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Still lurking. Generally speaking the issues being discussed lately are ones where if I open my fat mouth I'll only get myself into trouble.

So grass is coming then! :D

Pigfynn
05-19-2009, 07:26 PM

what he said

Phil
05-19-2009, 07:31 PM

Yup, that would be my number 1 request.

Nuvinho
05-19-2009, 07:56 PM
1. The MLS Thursday night games and also the Sunday MLS games (Sunday games are rarely on Match Centre)

2. A Friday pre-game show (I know there is one for game day, but for those who are going to the game, we don't get to see it)

3. Some of the Academy games

I like the fact there is already a Toronto FC today show, and off the pitch show.

Pigfynn
05-19-2009, 08:02 PM
1. The MLS Thursday night games and also the Sunday MLS games (Sunday games are rarely on Match Centre)

2. A Friday pre-game show (I know there is one for game day, but for those who are going to the game, we don't get to see it)

3. Some of the Academy games

I like the fact there is already a Toronto FC today show, and off the pitch show.

great idea!

SoccMan
05-19-2009, 08:16 PM
The number one thing I would like to see is MLS games of other teams on Goltv. The best way to get people interested in the MLS is to show games on Goltv of the other teams in the league. Therefore, are we going to see MLS games not involving TFC on Goltv this year?

Blizzard
05-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Not to be a negative nellie but the TFC Today show (is that what it was called?) was a dreadful production.

Godfrey's camera was overexposed for the whole show. No BG audio under the match b-roll during the player interviews. Dead silence and inexplicable player cutaways during the questions at the Cummins - post-match presser etc.

I'm glad it's on but it is filler of the type we expect to see on Leafs or Raps TV. Ya, i know it was the first show but it really felt like it was produced by throwing things into a hat and pulling them out and placing them in the show in no particularly thought out sort of method.

.... and they are going to do this five days a week?

The interview show was better than I expected. Cummins made it work. Generally, these "in-conversation" shows bore me unless some sort of archival b-roll or still photographs are used to enhance the conversation but this was better than I thought it was going to be.

Let's see if other interview subjects will fare as well.

Game in 60 is a good feature. Very happy to see that.

B

olegunnar
05-19-2009, 09:34 PM
I know it seems like we'd be getting ahead of ourselves since we've been so bad, but how about some "classic" games.

The first win
The father's day masacre
Game against Villa
The last game of 2007
Home opener 2008
beating the crapids 3-1
Last game of 2008 beating the fire

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Out of Market MLS games....Superliga coverage.....:scarf: & taped delayed academy homes games.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2009, 09:44 PM

Cosign

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2009, 09:46 PM
also keep all the games/leagues you currently have (you can sacrifice some of the lower levels for some MLS games tho, im sure most people wouldnt mind)

menefreghista
05-20-2009, 08:58 AM

1. Keep the existing foreign league programming.

2. Full replays of the most recent TFC games.

3. Non-TFC MLS games.

DOMIN8R
05-20-2009, 09:02 AM
I really enjoyed GolTV last night. The programing was interesting for a rabid TFC fan like myself. Even the long interview with CC was enjoyable and informative.

Nuvinho
05-20-2009, 09:09 AM
If Setanta goes out of business, would love to see EPL games. A few years ago, I used to enjoy the Sportsnet triple header on Saturdays. Then the Sunday morning games on FSC. Setanta changed all that for me.

deltox
05-20-2009, 09:17 AM
how about a show that talks about "building TFC"

a show where we talk about the history of football in Canada and Toronto. let TFC fans now learn about the NASL and where it all came from. the history of MLS.

the building of BMO field.

that sort of stuff.

But i have to say it as i believe in it too......other MLS games would be huge

BakaGaijin
05-20-2009, 09:39 AM
I would like to see some J-league matches. The rights fee's must be dirt cheap and you could show live games that would not have any adverse affect on your other live programming because of the time difference.

I would much rather watch live footy at 1:00am than the 50th repeat of some in-house show like: "how to miss the broadside of a barn - with Chad Barrett".

Cas87
05-20-2009, 10:07 AM

1. Out-of-market MLS matches (FSC and ESPN broadcasts)
2. The TFC oriented shows you have already started (maybe include "classic" or "memorable" matches)
3. Keep Bundesliga matches and La Liga matches
4. Maybe pick up CONCACAF Champions rights, since CBC dropped the ball?
5. Try and get rights to Soccer AM off of Sky Sports
6. Maybe a Canadian made version of GolTV news?
7. HD channel

Just ideas, feel free to disagree

Oldtimer
05-20-2009, 10:31 AM
I would like to see a round-up show including highlights from lesser-broadcast leagues like France, Argentina, Greece, Bundesliga. Add in MLS highlights, and a bit on TFC.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-20-2009, 10:41 AM
last two posts are on the money

Mark in Ottawa
05-20-2009, 10:53 AM
^^ +1

Mark in Ottawa
05-20-2009, 10:57 AM
On your TFC show... a little about the players who are not in the starting team but are working to get there.

Maybe just quick hits... you know...
"Mr. X is on the development squad of TFC after playing there and there. As a player usually slotted as a defender/mid fielder/striker he is waiting his chance to challenge current roster player Y for a starting spot."

Mark in Ottawa
05-20-2009, 10:59 AM
And how about a "Soccer in Canada" segment or show where you can talk about soccer happenings in the community at large all over the country.

Grass roots stuff without the continual CSA bashing that they have come to deserve.

BC101
05-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I would like to see some J-league matches. The rights fee's must be dirt cheap and you could show live games that would not have any adverse affect on your other live programming because of the time difference.

I would much rather watch live footy at 1:00am than the 50th repeat of some in-house show like: "how to miss the broadside of a barn - with Chad Barrett".
co signed would love some J league live action. If they added Jleague i'd actually order the channel instead of its being on my no order zone.

Darlofletch
05-20-2009, 01:05 PM
I stumbled across game in an hour last night. With commercials it's more like game in 40 minutes, and even then the first half looked awful. Very good idea though that will hopefully be continued.

Whoever mentioned classic tfc matches, +1 to that, though given our short history, why not go all the way, and just show every match we've ever played, 1 game a day would last nicely through the summer and the european off season.

Pachuco
05-20-2009, 01:12 PM
less Beckham talk :)

Oh, and of course (as everyone else has said) out of market MLS games. Paul did I read a few months ago that you had confirmed Goal TV would be showing over 100 MLS games this year? or was that for next year?

TorCanSoc
05-20-2009, 01:20 PM
Here is the order of wants...
- full repeat of TFC games
- out of market MLS games
- Montreal and Vancouver's games
- CSL
- York, UofT, Ryerson men's games
- if it has a foot and a ball, and its Canadian put it on!

Cas87
05-20-2009, 02:06 PM
Almost forgot one earlier,

UEFA Europa league rights. Sportsnet showed a couple this year, but only because of Man City being involved. It would be great to have the "other" european competition broadcasts in Canada

CretanBull
05-20-2009, 03:12 PM

6 guys sitting around a table getting drunk and complaining :D

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
That’s a good point. I’d like to GolTv carry a complete Europa League package. There’s been UEFA Cup games on Sportsnet, Setanta, and GolTv this year, yet none of them have the final.
I also like the idea of showing TFC academy and CSL games. I’ll concede they’re probably not huge ratings getters, but I assume they’d do as well as the hours of repeated informational programming that currently dominates GolTv’s schedule.

Oldtimer
05-20-2009, 03:30 PM
Here is the order of wants...
- full repeat of TFC games
- out of market MLS games
- Montreal and Vancouver's games
- CSL
- York, UofT, Ryerson men's games
- if it has a foot and a ball, and its Canadian put it on!

I like promoting Canadian footie, but I think that CSL and University teams are not really at a high enough standard for this. In fact, it would hurt the already tarnished image of the Canadian game among Euro fans by showing that level.

If we had good USL-1 coverage of VAN and MTL, that would be great.

CretanBull
05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
I like promoting Canadian footie, but I think that CSL and University teams are not really at a high enough standard for this. In fact, it would hurt the already tarnished image of the Canadian game among Euro fans by showing that level.

Not to mention: cost of camara crew/commentators > advertising income

elvis
05-20-2009, 03:41 PM
1. HD
2. Out of market MLS games

Then I would subscribe.

Blizzard
05-20-2009, 03:44 PM

The CSL is seen on Rogers on a weekly basis so those telecasts could be picked up by Gol BUT they would have to insist on minimal production level requirements, something I don't see now on those telecasts.

Blizzard
05-20-2009, 03:45 PM

That would be nice to see but I can't see Gol initiating their own productions for either team.

OK, they could pick up Radio Canada's coverage of the Impact adding commentary in the studio.

I don't know what is happening in Vancouver regarding television. Cable perhaps?

menefreghista
05-20-2009, 03:48 PM
I don't know what is happening in Vancouver regarding television. Cable perhaps?

The Whitecaps have a number of games broadcast on Shaw TV, the equivalent of Rogers doing CSL, I suppose.

Oldtimer
05-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Actually, on further consideration, it wouldn't make sense to broadcast complete USL-1 matches, rather including their highlights on the "round-up" show mentioned earlier would be best.

Shep
05-24-2009, 08:43 AM
If anyone was silly like me and failed to tape the Revs match yesterday, Gol TV already has it up this morning in 'Game in an Hour'.

It's on now (9-10 am) and again at 1 pm.

Just thought I'd mention it. I got home from the victory last night and realized I hadn't set the bloody timer..

TY GOL TV!!!

menefreghista
05-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Or you can get the full match on Maxxed....

:hide:

Shep
05-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Or you can get the full match on Maxxed....

:hide:

True, but watching it on my 52", no lag or stutter, kills streaming on my 20" monitor.

I'd go there if GolTV didn't have it.. I know I'm missing a few minutes, but I was there anyway, a condensed 60 minutes is good enough for me.

I just won't forget the timer next time ;)

edit: oh and looking at maxxed now.. I couldn't watch any of their streams it seems, they've disabled registration to their site.. and I have never made an account.. no maxxed for me :(

boban
05-24-2009, 09:40 AM
1. Out-of-market MLS matches (FSC and ESPN broadcasts)
2. The TFC oriented shows you have already started (maybe include "classic" or "memorable" matches)
3. Keep Bundesliga matches and La Liga matches
4. Maybe pick up CONCACAF Champions rights, since CBC dropped the ball?
5. Try and get rights to Soccer AM off of Sky Sports
6. Maybe a Canadian made version of GolTV news?
7. HD channel

Just ideas, feel free to disagree
Under any circumstance NO NO NO!!!

menefreghista
05-24-2009, 10:12 AM
True, but watching it on my 52", no lag or stutter, kills streaming on my 20" monitor.

I agree.

That's why I wouldn't mind Gol TV replaying the full match.

Redpunkfiddle
05-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Under any circumstance NO NO NO!!!

Huh? Why why why? I want to see our competition in the tournament.

boban
05-24-2009, 10:54 AM
Huh? Why why why? I want to see our competition in the tournament.
RSN picked it up this year. granted 2 games were not picked up. But that maybe more a scheduling thing due to the last minute pickup of the last minute drop by CBC. Hopefully RSN can work to get the whole thing picked up for next year.
This tournament needs to be expanded, promoted and grown. Putting it on GolTV just does not do this.

menefreghista
05-24-2009, 10:55 AM
RSN picked it up this year. granted 2 games were not picked up. But that maybe more a scheduling thing due to the last minute pickup of the last minute drop by CBC. Hopefully RSN can work to get the whole thing picked up for next year.
This tournament needs to be expanded, promoted and grown. Putting it on GolTV just does not do this.

I think you are confusing the Canadian Championship with the CONCACAF Champions League.....

nfitz
05-24-2009, 11:21 AM
RSN picked it up this year. granted 2 games were not picked up. But that maybe more a scheduling thing due to the last minute pickup of the last minute drop by CBC. Hopefully RSN can work to get the whole thing picked up for next year.???? It doesn't start until July ...; the one that ended this year was mostly not aired, and partly on CBC Bold. I don't think CBC aired any of it; RSN aired none of it.

Shep
05-24-2009, 07:39 PM
I've got one simple request for Gol TV..

Please, PLEASE NO MORE PAINT PARTNER! haha

I mean, it's a dollar store quality sponge-on-a-stick! Only $29.99!
I know there are some dumb infomercials out there, but this one is the worst, if anyone buys a paint partner it should come with a complimentary 'Certificate of Idiocy'

deschamp86
05-24-2009, 08:17 PM
CANADIAN MENS NATIONAL TEAM! I love that they play one game a year then we have to scour the internet to find a link to the actual game.

Blizzard
05-24-2009, 09:44 PM
The Whitecaps have a number of games broadcast on Shaw TV, the equivalent of Rogers doing CSL, I suppose.

Cool. If they can upgrade those telecasts to broadcast quality, then perhaps it can work. The Rogers CSL telecasts really aren't good enough at this point in time but perhaps with some "direction" from the PTB's at GOL, maybe it can work.

menefreghista
05-25-2009, 07:12 AM
Cool. If they can upgrade those telecasts to broadcast quality, then perhaps it can work. The Rogers CSL telecasts really aren't good enough at this point in time but perhaps with some "direction" from the PTB's at GOL, maybe it can work.

Shaw and Gol TV had partnered up in the past to show both of the Whitecaps v Galaxy friendlies.

Canary Canuck
05-28-2009, 06:33 PM
some news here:

In July, GOLTV will air the Wembley Cup, a preseason friendly tournament from London's Wembley Stadium between four of the world's most popular soccer teams - Barcelona FC, Carling Cup finalists Tottenham Hot Spur, SPL champions Celtic and African Champions League winner Egypt's Al-Ahly.

GOLTV Canada will continue to carry exclusive coverage of qualifying Italian, Spanish and South American matches leading up to the 2010 World Cup.

Later this summer, MLSE will unveil its long-term programming and production strategy for their all-soccer network which includes relaunching the GOLTV brand and relocating the network's existing studios to a high-definition broadcast facility inside Air Canada Centre.

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090528&content_id=5013278&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Gol TV in HD would certainly be nice.

Inswingingwingman
05-28-2009, 07:28 PM
How-ry nappin tuwtles. TFC on TV. Whoda thunk it. I is so old I need to tape the channel number to the tv so I can not fergit it.

Can they do the show with real sod on the table, the kind that grows on concrete....

Cas87
05-29-2009, 08:46 AM
CANADIAN MENS NATIONAL TEAM! I love that they play one game a year then we have to scour the internet to find a link to the actual game.

+1 for sure :canada:

Kristofager
05-29-2009, 05:45 PM
does anybody know of the best site the game can be streamed from?

thanks

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-29-2009, 05:55 PM
some news here:

http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090528&content_id=5013278&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280

Wembley Cup....come on the Celts..

BakaGaijin
05-29-2009, 05:59 PM
some news here:

TORONTO FC GAMES ON GOLTV DURING THE 2009 MLS SEASON:

Toronto FC vs New York Red Bulls, June 24 at 7 p.m.
Toronto FC at New England Revolution, August 1 at 7 p.m.
Toronto FC vs New York Red Bulls, August 9 at 2:30 p.m.
Toronto FC at New York Red Bulls, October 24 at 7 p.m.

Oops.

elvis
05-29-2009, 07:03 PM
If it actually goes HD (with 80% HD programming), I'll subscribe. Until then, no way.

Canary Canuck
05-29-2009, 07:17 PM
With Gol TV Canada moving their studio operations to HD and the parent Gol TV moving their programming to HD it's looking like the writing is on the wall.

Gol TV COO Rodrigo Lombello also said Gol TV is making strides toward presenting some of its soccer coverage in HD next year: We're having discussions with our distributors. A lot of the matches from Europe are now being shot in HD. I think you'll see some of our programming in HD during the second or third quarter of 2010."

http://www.multichannel.com/article/231365-Gol_TV_Nets_Bundesliga_Renewal.php?rssid=20059

elvis
05-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Nice - I didn't see this before. Thanks man!

Cas87
05-29-2009, 11:25 PM
TORONTO FC GAMES ON GOLTV DURING THE 2009 MLS SEASON:

Toronto FC vs New York Red Bulls, June 24 at 7 p.m.
Toronto FC at New England Revolution, August 1 at 7 p.m.
Toronto FC vs New York Red Bulls, August 9 at 2:30 p.m.
Toronto FC at New York Red Bulls, October 24 at 7 p.m.

Oops.

Sportsnet has the NYRB match from August

Blizzard
05-29-2009, 11:31 PM
Shaw and Gol TV had partnered up in the past to show both of the Whitecaps v Galaxy friendlies.

Good to know.

BTW, I just watched the CSL TFCA v Croatia match on Rogers and the coverage was abysmal.

The colour commentator was an absolute joke. I felt embarrassed for her.

mlsintoronto
05-30-2009, 05:44 AM
I'm hearing now that the MLS package will kick in after allstar. The reason is a technical one associated with the infrastructure at gol today, vs what they'll have soon. I think it will move in with leafs tv and raptors tv by that time. Currently I think gol tv is held together with duct tape.

Marc"2L"
05-30-2009, 05:45 AM
I'm hearing now that the MLS package will kick in after allstar. The reason is a technical one associated with the infrastructure at gol today, vs what they'll have soon. I think it will move in with leafs tv and raptors tv by that time. Currently I think gol tv is held together with duct tape.

Soon to be HD duct tape at least....

The Kingpin
05-30-2009, 05:48 AM

:rolleyes: