PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Targets: Keep this in mind!

Lucky Strike
05-19-2009, 08:22 AM
This is largely a more polished re-post of something I wrote in another thread but if the moderators will indulge me, I think it's important to read the followng when discussing incoming transfer targets and rumours. I believe it would help avoid a common argument in these cases. And please understand, it's not meant to insult or offend anyone. Here goes:

There are two approaches to signing players and it can be frustrating to read and discuss because advocates of each, both don't understand the other position and it becomes like an Abbott and Costello routine.

Position #1: We should get players from X place in the world (say South America, to use a common example) because they're inexpensive or their style of play would suit us/help the team.

Position #2: It shouldn't matter where players come from so long as they're good and help the team.

Position #1 doesn't actually, truly care where a player comes from, but is simply pointing out that they think the team would be further helped by signing a South American player (to continue using the example) because you get good talent for your money, which is important in a cap world. There exist other similar rationales as well to explain advocating signing a player from a particular region of the world.

Position #2 largely believes in/understands the same principles as Position #1 but just doesn't specify so in its analyses/arguments. Position #2 often (but not always, so don't jump on me :D) misinterprets Position #1 as being "ethnically driven" (touchy term but I couldn't think of another one) or being prejudiced (the word has negative connotations, but I mean here it in the sense of "preference" and not imply there's any malice such as racism or xenophobia) for and/or against a player from a certain region of the world.

Position #1 simply believes Position #2 doesn't get the subtle distinctions they are making when in fact both parties are in fact in agreement with each other.

Recognize yourself in either of these? Hope this helps.

fetajr
05-19-2009, 09:18 AM
very well defined. I proudly stand by taking position#1 when suggesting where to go find players. South America is a gold mine for good cheap talent

ex: Leandro Caruso, center forward on a small team (Godoy Cruz from Mendoza) in div 1 Argentina - would come cheap... he would be a huge upgrade over Dichio in skill, speed, control, finishing...however Dichio's leadership and heart is unmatched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYlXvg6oDZM

Lucky Strike
05-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Bump. Because I'm that self-centered. :D No, just kidding, I think it's worthwhile to read.

Carter
05-19-2009, 01:23 PM
very well defined. I proudly stand by taking position#1 when suggesting where to go find players. South America is a gold mine for good cheap talent

ex: Leandro Caruso, center forward on a small team (Godoy Cruz from Mendoza) in div 1 Argentina - would come cheap... he would be a huge upgrade over Dichio in skill, speed, control, finishing...however Dichio's leadership and heart is unmatched.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYlXvg6oDZM

Look what happened last time we picked up someone from argentina, who was a "proven goal scorer" he ends up with the Barrett Curse.

The only ball that Vitti has almost put in the net was the offside call when the goalie stopped.

Fort York Redcoat
05-19-2009, 01:27 PM
Look what happened last time we picked up someone from argentina, who was a "proven goal scorer" he ends up with the Barrett Curse.

The only ball that Vitti has almost put in the net was the offside call when the goalie stopped.

Does that mean we should write off Argentina entirely?;)

Honestly I don't see why anyone bothers using an entire country as an example. Many countries have unique styles but seldom is that the only style present in that country league.

If one is talking about transfer possibilities I prefer to see a name on it. Their country of origin will become apparent.

fetajr
05-19-2009, 01:30 PM

Vitti has set up a few, he's created his own chances, if he had one or two more guys to play with that share his vision and skill, he'd be alot more successful. I hoped Guevara could be that guy, but he's been slacking too.

Vitti was never a 'proven goal scorer' in Argentina, he's scored more than a few though. He's got the skill, and the speed to do well in MLS. Schelotto was a 'proven' scorer. Ariel Ortega (who can still play) is a proven scorer in Argentina.

Blizzard
05-19-2009, 01:33 PM

Have you forgotten Saturday's header just over the bar already?

TorontoBlades
05-19-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm not discounting the bad finishing that our team has seen, pretty much since day 1 of this franchise.

But what striker with ambitions of a half decent strike rate would want to come and play on a pitch where the ball bounces head high every single time. As someone who has played the position, trying to settle that ball down against experienced multiple defenders is one of the tpughest things I've ever witnessed anyone have to do.

If the side continues to play the ball long to a target - we're finished. The only way to have any measure of success on this pitch is to suck the defenders back and diagonal run on to played balls ON THE GROUND. but that's another story - for now, I stand firm that BMO is a death trap for the stats sheet of any striker...period.

Carter
05-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Have you forgotten Saturday's header just over the bar already?

Which one? The one harmse headed or the one barrett did?

Cambridge_Red
05-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Vitti hasn't really been playing as a striker, he has created most of the chances hes flubbed.. as opposed to another forward we have who couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo

Oldtimer
05-19-2009, 01:37 PM
I think that position #1 started being expressed on this board because Mo in season 1 seemed to be favouring players from the British Isles, and people were feeling that whole continents worth of talent were being ignored.

The fact is, Mo took time to build up contacts in other regions, and now is drawing players from Africa and South America.

Ratven
05-19-2009, 01:54 PM
My biggest problem with Vitti (and not to get on the bashing train too harshly) is that that he hardly ever looks up. The second he gets the ball, his head drops and he pays little/no attention to anything going on around him. Then he tries to beat 3 defenders.

Stryker
05-19-2009, 01:58 PM
My biggest problem with Vitti (and not to get on the bashing train too harshly) is that that he hardly ever looks up. The second he gets the ball, his head drops and he pays little/no attention to anything going on around him. Then he tries to beat 3 defenders.
At times he manages to pull it off. I don't know if he's got magnets in his boots or if he was just getting lucky bounces before but he always managed to keep the ball. Then he'd pass it...

fetajr
05-19-2009, 02:00 PM

sounds like marvel wynne as well!

T_Mizz
05-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I think that Vitti should take more shots he had 7 (not even on goal, i mean total) going into the last game, if the cbc broadcast was correct

ag futbol
05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Vitti has set up a few, he's created his own chances, if he had one or two more guys to play with that share his vision and skill, he'd be alot more successful. I hoped Guevara could be that guy, but he's been slacking too.

Vitti was never a 'proven goal scorer' in Argentina, he's scored more than a few though. He's got the skill, and the speed to do well in MLS. Schelotto was a 'proven' scorer. Ariel Ortega (who can still play) is a proven scorer in Argentina.
Very true. I think sometimes it gets a little over-simplified around here.

There are degrees of quality in terms of what you can get from South America. Top of the barrell is out, so are the solid starters for most first team clubs (short of making them DP's). Quick profile of some of the south american players to come through MLS:

Juan Toja - written off by River Plate as having one foot (still true but he was effective)
Javier Morales - was playing in Canary islands (had previous spells with good Argentine clubs but looked like his best days were behind him)
Franco Neill - more petigree than the above two, but sucked

Personally, I'm up for signing people from anywhere. But, I'd keep in mind that an EU passport is a huge ticket to easy money compared to playing in MLS. For that reason, I think getting talent out of europe would be harder than anywhere else.

I'd look past the meat markets of the River Plates, Boca's, of the world and get out there looking at the lesser clubs who we can bargain with a little more.

fetajr
05-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Very true. I think sometimes it gets a little over-simplified around here.

There are degrees of quality in terms of what you can get from South America. Top of the barrell is out, so are the solid starters for most first team clubs (short of making them DP's). Quick profile of some of the south american players to come through MLS:

Juan Toja - written off by River Plate as having one foot (still true but he was effective)
Javier Morales - was playing in Canary islands (had previous spells with good Argentine clubs but looked like his best days were behind him)
Franco Neill - more petigree than the above two, but sucked

Personally, I'm up for signing people from anywhere. But, I'd keep in mind that an EU passport is a huge ticket to easy money compared to playing in MLS. For that reason, I think getting talent out of europe would be harder than anywhere else.

I'd look past the meat markets of the River Plates, Boca's, of the world and get out there looking at the lesser clubs who we can bargain with a little more.

here here.... it all starts with a good FTA DishNetwork system and a DirecTv subscription. Surely MLSE can pull some string to hook up MoJo with TV access the rest of us canadians have to get illegally.

Directv has a channel called TyC Sports from Argentina, it shows a shit load of games from division 1 and 2. When i watch some of the games between smaller or lesser known teams, the talent showcase is unbelievable, if I were MoJo, i'd be all over that.