PDA

View Full Version : 1/3 of the season through...

MG42
05-19-2009, 08:12 AM
...and we have 13 points.

20 games left - 9 home, 11 away.

In the last two season the lowest points total to enter the playoffs were 40 points in 2007 and 39 in 2008.

So we are barely on pace to make the playoffs, and we have more road games remaining than home games.

If our trend of goaless/winless streaks through the summer repeats itself (we do have fewer july/august games this year) we are in big trouble.

Anyway, not pulling a chicken little, just something to ponder...we have to keep our eyes on the prize :lol:

Carter
05-19-2009, 08:19 AM
I believe June 18th we will be Hoisting some hardware, hopefully you will be in Montreal to witness it. ;)

boban
05-19-2009, 08:33 AM
I believe June 18th we will be Hoisting some hardware, hopefully you will be in Montreal to witness it. ;)
I hear ya and we do control our destiny in that competition, but the poster was alluding to MLS games, in which case things have to get better.

jaahuuu
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Maybe both of the other games will be ties and this can be wrapped up before we go to Vancouver.

When did the Montreal game get moved to 18th? Wasn't it originally the 17th?

Shakes McQueen
05-19-2009, 08:50 AM
I am still standing by my pre-season assertion that if we make the playoffs and win a CONCACAF CL spot, I will consider this season a success. The first handful of games have shown me that we still lack the player or two that will put this team over the top and make us a legitimate MLS Cup contender.

We need:

- A legitimate finisher up front. Barret has been great in a wide role, but that still leaves us lacking a legitimate central striker. Vitti has skills, but hasn't been able to finish what he starts at all yet (though that may change). Dichio is a good poacher around the goal, but he can no longer regularly play 90 minutes, and is gone after this season.

- A stronger back four. Serioux is great. Velez and Harmse have been doing a job. Wynne is flawed, but shows some promise. Brennan has been terribly lacking most of the time. I really think left-back, and Serioux's partner in our central defense, are the two main issues.

- Real wingers. Aside from Barrett, name one player who can competently play out wide, and fire GOOD crosses into the box (something Barrett is still learning to do consistently). Ricketts has been off-form. Johann Smith hasn't impressed in his small amount of playing time, DeRo can play wide, but he doesn't provide his best work out there. We can't run a 4-3-3 every week, and our lack of killer wing players is inevitably going to doom us to a largely predictable attack up the center of the pitch.

Like I said though, I'm not all doom and gloom about it. We have a good core of talent these days - especially with our rookie additions. I just hope Mo adds the last few pieces, so we can be a legitimate world-beater soon.

- Scott

Steve
05-19-2009, 09:24 AM
I am still standing by my pre-season assertion that if we make the playoffs and win a CONCACAF CL spot, I will consider this season a success. The first handful of games have shown me that we still lack the player or two that will put this team over the top and make us a legitimate MLS Cup contender.

We need:

- A legitimate finisher up front. Barret has been great in a wide role, but that still leaves us lacking a legitimate central striker. Vitti has skills, but hasn't been able to finish what he starts at all yet (though that may change). Dichio is a good poacher around the goal, but he can no longer regularly play 90 minutes, and is gone after this season.

- A stronger back four. Serioux is great. Velez and Harmse have been doing a job. Wynne is flawed, but shows some promise. Brennan has been terribly lacking most of the time. I really think left-back, and Serioux's partner in our central defense, are the two main issues.

- Real wingers. Aside from Barrett, name one player who can competently play out wide, and fire GOOD crosses into the box (something Barrett is still learning to do consistently). Ricketts has been off-form. Johann Smith hasn't impressed in his small amount of playing time, DeRo can play wide, but he doesn't provide his best work out there. We can't run a 4-3-3 every week, and our lack of killer wing players is inevitably going to doom us to a largely predictable attack up the center of the pitch.

Like I said though, I'm not all doom and gloom about it. We have a good core of talent these days - especially with our rookie additions. I just hope Mo adds the last few pieces, so we can be a legitimate world-beater soon.

- Scott

I agree with this assessment. Brennan has been captain Canada and all, but this year, he's been terrible. I still think our attacking players are gelling, but last game showed me that without someone to finish, we can't go anywhere. We need to be able to get one good chance and a goal from it (Chicago didn't have that many great chances, they just finished them).

So, at this point in the season, this is my order of necessity.

1) A finisher. I don't care if this comes from Barrett (or Vitti) suddenly finding their form, White coming in and tearing it up, or a new DP player joining our team. We just need a striker who can finish chances well. Personally, I think that our three strikers would all excel if we had a good, predatory striker. Someone who will put the balls into the back of the net most of the time. Barrett can focus on creating chances, and he might not feel as pressured if he didn't think he was the main goal scorer, Vitti could focus on setting the play up, and Dichio could do well as a target man. All three of our strikers are good, but I don't think any can play the primary "put the ball in the net" role.

2) A CB. Someone to play beside Serioux so we can build from the back better. Solidifying our defense will allow us to score fewer goals and still come away with wins. This may be the Gambians eventually, but I haven't seen them this year, so I don't know how close they are.

3) A Winger. Smith is not the answer right now (run, step over (repeat 20 times), lose the ball). Ricketts either has to come onto the pitch a new man, or leave. He makes too much to be as useless as he's become. One good winger will give us attacking options (Barrett can play on the wing if need be, DeRo can play on the wing, Ibby can at times, but we need a solid natural winger that can put balls into the box every time).

Pick any two of those, and we're good for the year. Hell, we might even make the playoffs without changing anything up, I would just rather not bank on "might" right now.