PDA

View Full Version : Jarrod Smith

mclaren
06-01-2008, 09:48 AM
Anyone else think he was immense yesterday? For me he was the best player on the park. When he gets the ball he very rarely gets dispossed - he seems to have a ton of upper body strength. For a rookie to have this kind of ability at this stage in his career is excellent. He also never stops throughout the game, completely committed and never gives up. I'd like to see him start more but it's just a matter of who can he replace?

tfc_4_ever
06-01-2008, 09:54 AM
I really like him. I thought he was unlucky on the miss on the break away

Razcle
06-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Yes, he is a diamond in the rough for us...I hope we can polish him well and raise his talent for the club and his stock value.

LucaGol
06-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Don't butcher me here...but he reminds of an MLS version of a poor man's Cristiano Ronaldo in his first year at Man U.

Lot's of skill, technique, invention, full of running, can play all over the park, can cut in from left, can cross from right, and can also play up front....but lacking the killer instinct to finish off goals.

Jarrod looks like he has a decent enough boot on him...if he puts it all together he could become a real force.

rocker
06-01-2008, 10:28 AM
i like him.. the finishing is worrying tho. Remember that Lombardo runs hard, can pass well, but can't score either. And Smith turns 24 years old in a few weeks.
I wish he was 20 or 21 and showing this.

noochie
06-01-2008, 10:39 AM
i like him.. the finishing is worrying tho. Remember that Lombardo runs hard, can pass well, but can't score either. And Smith turns 24 years old in a few weeks.
I wish he was 20 or 21 and showing this.

I knew this day would come, for once I don't agree with rocker ;)

I think that once he gets more time at forward he can gain the confidence to finish those chances off. To be fair, he hasn't had many chances to capitalize on thus far.

The same can't be said for Cunny, but I love the guy anyways... best individual celebration to date :) and well worth the yellow.

Marco2K
06-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Please dont Compare Jarrod Smith with Lombardo.

Poor Lombardo is not qualifed to be TFC's H2O Technician.

kdzb
06-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Jarrod needs more minutes at a striker position or right winger and I bet you that Carver will have a hard time taking him out of the starting linup

Milton_Arab
06-01-2008, 11:06 AM
i really like jarrod, think he's a great player but not as a striker. i have been most impressed with him when he plays on the wing and would like to see him start there instead of ricketts, although i did think ricketts played well yesterday

Cambridge_Red
06-01-2008, 11:11 AM
Smithy will be more useful in midfield. Only problem is we have a solid midfield already. I would like to see him play when our "player of the game" Edu (What the fuck???) is on US national duty.

zeelaw
06-01-2008, 11:46 AM
He's great... but had a HORRIBLE miss on that finish lol... hes a very dynamic player.. i dunno where to play him

Draracle
06-01-2008, 11:51 AM
If he improves his finish he could make a great striker. Otherwise he will be a winger, or even CM -- his ball control is great. But his finish is piss poor. Nail that down and we might finally have a striker who can work through two guys to the shot.

Ron Manager
06-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Smith is playing very well and seems to be very tough to dipossess, which is a very important quality. Carver will certainly be putting him through his paces on the finishing front....but only time and experience will bring composure.
He'll be tough to keep out of the line-up at this rate, but Ricketts is coming into the form we've been expecting so who knows.
It sure is nice to have these sorts of roster problems as opposed to last year.

Pachuco
06-01-2008, 12:37 PM
personally (and I haven't watched the game again since watching it live) Smith was a little invisible up front as a striker. I think he's got great skill, but he seems to be a better midfielder then striker.

ComeonyouReds
06-01-2008, 01:01 PM
put him on the wing and he'll be gold.

Red CB Toronto
06-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Jarrod has been very solid of late, is really developing into a player that will do some very good things for the Reds as this season goes on.

SLBuu
06-01-2008, 01:04 PM
Don't butcher me here...but he reminds of an MLS version of a poor man's Cristiano Ronaldo in his first year at Man U.

Lot's of skill, technique, invention, full of running, can play all over the park, can cut in from left, can cross from right, and can also play up front....but lacking the killer instinct to finish off goals.

Jarrod looks like he has a decent enough boot on him...if he puts it all together he could become a real force.

i thought the exact same thing.......... for some reason he really reminds me of C.Ronaldo but i just cant put my finger on it.

ag futbol
06-01-2008, 01:08 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about the finishing. He made the right decision but just didn't execute. Lombardo just whales on the ball like a ten year old playing house soccer would, he plays out of control.

Good play by Smith overall, but he needs to keep his head up a little more. But other than that, great game by him

Lucky Strike
06-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Smith played very well (and has been for a while) so it's tough to justify keeping him out of the lineup. Smith has looked most impressive on the right as he lacks some finishing right now. In a 4-4-2, we could do Robert, Robinson, Smith, Ricketts when Guevara is gone. This would leave Edu on the bench, however.

Marco2K
06-01-2008, 01:25 PM
How did Mo find this guy?

TFC-4-Life
06-01-2008, 02:07 PM
He has been very fun to watch this year.

Cambridge_Red
06-01-2008, 02:10 PM
... New Zealand international and played in the NCAA 32 goals in 74 games. Kinda hard not to miss.

Broadview
06-01-2008, 02:12 PM

Supplemental draft last year. He had an injury before TFC training camp and played for the USL Carolina Railhawks but TFC kept his rights.

Broadview
06-01-2008, 02:13 PM
i thought the exact same thing.......... for some reason he really reminds me of C.Ronaldo but i just cant put my finger on it.

Bad haircut?

Bobo
06-01-2008, 04:08 PM
i really like jarrod, think he's a great player but not as a striker. i have been most impressed with him when he plays on the wing and would like to see him start there instead of ricketts, although i did think ricketts played well yesterday

I think his last 2 games has solidified his spot. :) He's really been picking up the slack.

FluSH
06-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Smith should be playing every game if NOT starting.... the question is to replace who?

a.ungaro
06-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Smith should be playing every game if NOT starting.... the question is to replace who?

start him for dichio and put dichio in later... or other way around

Ron Manager
06-01-2008, 05:26 PM
Better at midfield I think. He will get his minutes as we cycle through international absences. He may fill Guevara's spot while he is away.

deeznutz
06-01-2008, 06:13 PM
ahhhh its great to have depth

Kooper
06-01-2008, 07:06 PM
I have said it before and I will say it again. Jarrod Smith is one of Toronto's brightest prosepects. You don't score 32 goals in 74 matches for a Division 1 NCAA Team and go on to be crap in the MLS. The kid has skills and matured during his time in the NCAA. Lombardo should have shunned the MLS for a US college team. Too bad he can't do that now he has earned that giant pay check of 30K.

Blixa
06-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Jarrod is quickly turning into our secret weapon, and I think he's perfect coming on off the bench. That just confuses the hell out of the opposing team. You just don't expect a player this good to come off the bench in this league. All he's missing is finishing so that's something that the coaches should help him with. Ball control, pace, positioning, anticipation, etc, etc he's got it. This guy has be a real treat to watch.

Kooper
06-01-2008, 07:27 PM
Jarrod is quickly turning into our secret weapon, and I think he's perfect coming on off the bench. That just confuses the hell out of the opposing team. You just don't expect a player this good to come off the bench in this league. All he's missing is finishing so that's something that the coaches should help him with. Ball control, pace, positioning, anticipation, etc, etc he's got it. This guy has be a real treat to watch.

I disagree with Flush. He doesn't deserve to start yet if everyone is healthy. But he will get a lot of starts over the next few months with everyone away for the various international matches.

Derko
06-01-2008, 09:46 PM
He's great... but had a HORRIBLE miss on that finish lol... hes a very dynamic player.. i dunno where to play him

Just lack of confidence on the miss, he'll get it together with more playing time. In my mind, scoring with the foot is a bigger confidence boost than scoring off of the head. I do like the way Smith is fitting in.

J .
06-01-2008, 11:01 PM
I like him, wouldn't mind seeing more finish from him though

jloome
06-01-2008, 11:05 PM
Just lack of confidence on the miss, he'll get it together with more playing time. In my mind, scoring with the foot is a bigger confidence boost than scoring off of the head. I do like the way Smith is fitting in.

Actually, I'd say over-programming. Every ncaa-developed player I see tries to pick the lower corner every time, which is all well and good when you're coming in with an angle on the keeper. But just watch the average MLS game and watch how many times players roll it just wide (a cunny specialty, too, and in recent weeks, Ante Razov, Landycakes, Seth Stammler, Sash Klejstan etc etc .

If he'd just waited until Cronin had started to go down then rolled it straight ahead it was a guaranteed goal.

In fact, every breakaway should be a dead certain goal at least 80% of hte time, and it's that lack of technical acumen that sets MLS below a lot of other leagues; its strengths tend to lie in its intensity, work-rate and discipline, which are typical American sporting characteristics. But you won't see too many strikers above League two missing chances like that one or a ton of others that get muffed weekly in MLS. Ditto with the South American and African leagues. I think when soccer is part of the sporting culture for decades and decades, you learn very young that a gift is not to be overlooked in a sport that averages 1.6 goals per game.

EDit: Oh, and it's also worth noting that SMith had a 1-2 strike rate in college, a 1-2 strike rate in the New Zealand league last year. So maybe he just got a tad overexcited.

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 11:07 PM
Please dont Compare Jarrod Smith with Lombardo.

Poor Lombardo is not qualifed to be TFC's H2O Technician.

Funny...at the start of last season, people were saying the same things about Lombardo that they're saying about Smith now.

Kooper
06-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Funny...at the start of last season, people were saying the same things about Lombardo that they're saying about Smith now.

Really? I don't recall that.

I think Smith just closed the door on Lombardo ever playing for the senior team again. Ever.

The difference between Lombardo and Smith is that he has stepped up and actually scored. Lombardo had tons of minutes and did squat.

I agree with Whoopee, we will probably never see Lombardo play again. Now he is behind Dichio, Cunny, Smith and Guevara for one of two spots up front.

LucaGol
06-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Really? I don't recall that.

I think Smith just closed the door on Lombardo ever playing for the senior team again. Ever.

Why are we being so harsh on a young player?

I'd love to see Lombardo eventually succeed.

He seems to be progressing and scoring at the reserve level which is a positive sign.

trane
06-02-2008, 09:26 AM
start him for dichio and put dichio in later... or other way around

I would like him to come in for Dichio, Cunny if needed can come in for guevarra. I think that he has the tools of a stiker. He just misse a goal on Saturday give him a brake.

trane
06-02-2008, 09:28 AM

He seems to be progressing and scoring at the reserve level which is a positive sign.

I like Lombardo in that he works hard, but if he ever comes into a game again he needs to score and do it quickly, he would be lucky as it is to get one more chance.

Fort York Redcoat
06-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Dichio hurt, Cunny may go. Smith will get time even if they acquire a DP striker.

Rochdale
06-02-2008, 09:46 AM
I like Lombardo in that he works hard, but if he ever comes into a game again he needs to score and do it quickly, he would be lucky as it is to get one more chance.

If Lombardo wasn't Canadian, would everyone still like him. l doubt it.

Kooper
06-02-2008, 11:05 AM

I would love to see a local kid make it but we also watched him squander chances and do nothing last season. As I said in a previous post, he should have gone to the NCAA instead of taking a paycheck at TFC. His long term prospects would have been better than they are now playing in the reserves.

LucaGol
06-02-2008, 11:18 AM
I would love to see a local kid make it but we also watched him squander chances and do nothing last season. As I said in a previous post, he should have gone to the NCAA instead of taking a paycheck at TFC. His long term prospects would have been better than they are now playing in the reserves.

Andrea Lombardo was the product of a poor team imo.

I'd rather see him playing than Jeff Cunningham tbh.