PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Marketing VP Confronts Fans

werewolf
05-18-2009, 02:37 PM
A couple of Infernites stood by the gate as people were coming in holding up signs that said “Support FC Dallas NOT Cheap Gimmicks” while I held up my “Bad Record equals Bad Coaching” sign. Kelly Weller came up to the them and told them that some people complained. That then progressed into an intense argument that only ended when Kelly mentioned she been with the team since December. Several other Infernites included me and Jon tried explaining to her that we should be promoting the team or a player (like homegrown boys Kenny and Drew), but it seemed like her mind was pretty made up. It was beating your head up against a wall.

Full article - http://wvhooligan.com/2009/05/18/dallas-marketing-vp-confronts-fans/

:rofl:

Waggy
05-18-2009, 02:59 PM
I can't say as I'm well versed enough in Dallas' situation to know, but is marketing ever REALLY the problem? I mean, Marketing helps, but ultimately, you have a good product, people will consume it. Dallas doesn't have a good product. How do they get there? Well certainly not by fighting with one of the 10 people who already ARE consuming haha. Although I must say, I am confused as to how they can be struggling. There have to be enough Central Americans in Dallas, maybe they just need to be educated on teh MLS? So maybe it is marketing? Well now I don't know what to think. Moral of the story: fuck Dallas! lol. They've been around long enough, the MLS is expanding at a rapid rate, nothing wrong with trimming a little fat. Esp with strong(ish) teams in the bigger markets.

Edit: that reads like a schitzofrenic wrote it. doesn't detract from my point that MLS doesn't need to pull a betman and FORCE a team in a market that won't work. So maybe the 2nd moral of the story is don't type after spending an afternoon watching baseball and drinking!

ag futbol
05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
I'm not 100% of the situation either but i do know FCD has the reputation of "family" marketing as opposed to paying attention to the sport. Asides from that, they sound pretty careless about the way they do things.

Notable story:
- FCD converts end of stadium to beer garden, gets supporters to move to end of stadium neer beer garden.
-Shortly after, changes tune, put children's playground where beer garden was
- Receives complains about people using "foul language" next to children.

Cashcleaner
05-18-2009, 11:45 PM
I imagine if we weren't selling out on a regular basis we would be seeing more of the typical approach that other MLS clubs have been taking with regards to boosting attendance numbers.

Paul, Joe, and everyone else who watches these boards - don't you ever start down that road! Believe me when I say that the best part of the Toronto FC "experience" is the fact that we're not force-fed all these stupid gimmicks to get us out to the matches.

Keep the contests to a minimum. No mascots. Cross-promoting with Leafs and Raptors is cool. Not so much with the Marlies, but I know you guys are sweating to fill the seats at the Ricoh Coliseum. What I'm saying is that we just want to watch some good soccer. Please, for the love of your fellow man, just give us some good soccer.

VoxPopuliCosmicum
05-19-2009, 12:02 AM
I can't say as I'm well versed enough in Dallas' situation to know, but is marketing ever REALLY the problem? I mean, Marketing helps, but ultimately, you have a good product, people will consume it. Dallas doesn't have a good product. How do they get there? Well certainly not by fighting with one of the 10 people who already ARE consuming haha. Although I must say, I am confused as to how they can be struggling. There have to be enough Central Americans in Dallas, maybe they just need to be educated on teh MLS? So maybe it is marketing? Well now I don't know what to think. Moral of the story: fuck Dallas! lol. They've been around long enough, the MLS is expanding at a rapid rate, nothing wrong with trimming a little fat. Esp with strong(ish) teams in the bigger markets.

Edit: that reads like a schitzofrenic wrote it. doesn't detract from my point that MLS doesn't need to pull a betman and FORCE a team in a market that won't work. So maybe the 2nd moral of the story is don't type after spending an afternoon watching baseball and drinking!

That was an awesome post. I can smell the booze fumes coming through my keyboard. :drinking: You posed a problem, solved it, and then dismissed your solution all in one post AND THEN you noted that you'd been drinking all day. I am reminded of the debate scene in Billy Madison. Bravo, sir.

Canary Canuck
05-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Nobody in Dallas wants to admit it but they need Mexicans to go to games and the only way to pull it off is to sign a popular Mexican and market it properly. Their home opener had 17,000 there to see Blanco run about for Chicago. With a Gold Cup game involving Mexico coming this summer to the new cowboys stadium, SUM will be able to gather market data on all 80,000 attendees. With all that market data, even a monkey would know what to do next.