PDA

View Full Version : Guy selling TFC Shirts out of back of van on Atlantic Ave taken by Paramedics

karlosarmenta
05-18-2009, 09:41 AM
Did anyone see what happen to this guy? I was walking up Atlantic Ave. and in the middle of the street the guy selling TFC shirts out of his van was being rolled on to a stretcher with a neck brace on by paramedics and police around him with his face badly beaten, felt bad for the guy because he had his little son with him. Anyone know who did this and why?? It was pretty much after the majority of the crowd had left the area Saturday after the game against Chicago.

Blazer
05-18-2009, 09:45 AM
Hopefully violence wasn’t involved. That guy never hid anything - here it is, take it or leave it kinda guy. Here’s to hoping we see him again safe and sound. Horrible to think something bad could’ve happened in front of a child too. Shame.

mastermixer
05-18-2009, 09:47 AM
I saw him there at the Montreal game on wednesday and I did notice people walking by were pissed that he was selling fake shit yelling "you're stealing from our team!"

Blazer
05-18-2009, 09:52 AM
^ If those people have such a problem with it then put him out of business by buying overprices swag inside the stadium and move along. I’d hate to think that something bad happened just because someone (or group of people) didn’t like what he was doing and wanted to push him out.

When I went to Wrigley last year I bought two Cubbies shirts for less than 30 bucks on Waverly Ave. I’m not a Cubbies fan necessarily but I wanted to come home with something. I wasn’t ready to pay 70 bucks inside for virtually the same shit. I’m glad they were there selling cheap knock-off swag.

Carts
05-18-2009, 09:55 AM
Let's hope he fell or was in an accident or something - last thing we want is fans taking out frustrations with violence, or if it was a fellow-seller who wanted to move in on the turf...

If it was a violent act, that's pretty scary...

Carts...

Blazer
05-18-2009, 09:59 AM
^ Absolutely! Lots of angst after Saturday’s result but nothing justifies violence on a bystander. Nothing.

You hope that this board provides an outlet for some who are frustrated and angered, but this would be devastating and shameful to our image that this city has of us.

billyfly
05-18-2009, 10:00 AM
OK. So how do we find out what happened b/c now I am am curious and very concerned.

deeznutz
05-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Yea I heard him getting yelled at after the Montreal game and I knew something was going to happen within the next few weeks! Sad to hear since he had the little ones around and he seemed like a nice guy always with a smiles on his face but I have seen worse happen to people.All in all some people don't put up with bs within the city, welcome to Toronto.

Blazer
05-18-2009, 10:05 AM
Hopefully we don’t ever find a story because hopefully whatever happened was an accident and buddy is okay?! I’m looking for a story now.

tfc007
05-18-2009, 10:06 AM
Did anyone see what happen to this guy? I was walking up Atlantic Ave. and in the middle of the street the guy selling TFC shirts out of his van was being rolled on to a stretcher with a neck brace on by paramedics and police around him with his face badly beaten, felt bad for the guy because he had his little son with him. Anyone know who did this and why?? It was pretty much after the majority of the crowd had left the area Saturday after the game against Chicago.
My buddy bought a shirt of him,he seemed nice.

London
05-18-2009, 10:10 AM
lets wait to see what happened before jumping to conclusions.

hopefully he is safe and sound at home.

Suds
05-18-2009, 10:15 AM
lets wait to see what happened before jumping to conclusions.

hopefully he is safe and sound at home.

Hear, hear ... let's keep speculation out of this for now.

Unless you where there and have first hand knowledge of what happened, let's keep our posts to well wishes for this person and hope he is OK.

billyfly
05-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Suds - the voice of reason. I don't believe it..

Suds
05-18-2009, 10:23 AM
Suds - the voice of reason. I don't believe it..

Once a week weather I need to be or not ;)

Waggy
05-18-2009, 10:25 AM
Ya, seriously hope the guy is OK. I've never bought anything from him but he seems like a nice guy, I spoke to him briefly a few times. And who the hell would get mad at someone 'stealing' from MLSE?! Honestly! That guy should get a medal or something.

Kevvv
05-18-2009, 10:26 AM
I saw him there at the Montreal game on wednesday and I did notice people walking by were pissed that he was selling fake shit yelling "you're stealing from our team!"

People were yelling "fake, fake" Saturday as well.

SmokedPanda
05-18-2009, 10:39 AM
i would like to see one of these guys yelling "fake, fake" to one of the street vendors outside Yankee Stadium on 161st street and river

J .
05-18-2009, 10:45 AM
I don't understand why people get mad at a guy like this. Dont understand how they would get violent on him either.

Yohan
05-18-2009, 10:55 AM
I don't understand why people get mad at a guy like this. Dont understand how they would get violent on him either.
vigilantism is pretty stupid

then again, humans as a general are pretty stupid

werewolf
05-18-2009, 10:57 AM
that would suck if he did get attacked, especially with the slew of scalpers that are present on a weekly basis...

Hooligan69
05-18-2009, 11:07 AM
This sucks. I hope he will be okay.

Raging Reggie
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
yea hope this guy is okay, would be terrible if he was beaten up infront of his young son. How could you really be so upset over this guy selling fake merch out of his van that you want to beat him up? Stupid

MFBODD
05-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I hope this didn't have to do with the guy selling knock off gear. Really, as previously mentioned you can get this stuff in other cities. Our club is hardly suffering financially and in some sports stores you can get a European club kit for less than a Toronto version. What the hell is up with that? If some guy DID have an issue with "replica" clothing, I suggest he continues with his crusade and pays a visit to destinations such as Hong Kong or New York. Have fun doing the same thing there. Also, why not expand your cause? Take a look at where the "authentic" kits are manufactured and how much the people are paid who produce them.

Pookie
05-18-2009, 12:01 PM
If he did run into violence as a result of drawing the ire of a public that wants to see profits returned only to the established license holders then finding the attacker(s) should be easy.

Just look for the only person in the world who has never downloaded music, bought a used book or textbook, ripped a movie or loaded software from a friend. Photograph everyone going in and out of the Pacific Mall because clearly, they are not suspects.

nascarguy
05-18-2009, 12:09 PM
you sell knock off gear and you do not think you would piss off some drunk guy off how much were them like 20$ that is a rip off price they like like shit that he sould have sold for maybe 5$ or 10$.

I would have got one and take it to tfc and show them and oh I would have take photos of him and his car with license plate and told him you got 2 mins to get out if here before I tell mlse.

he could be sued by bmo, mlse for millons

Hooligan69
05-18-2009, 12:17 PM
you sell knock off gear and you do not think you would piss off some drunk guy off how much were them like 20$ that is a rip off price they like like shit that he sould have sold for maybe 5$ or 10$.

I would have got one and take it to tfc and show them and oh I would have take photos of him and his car with license plate and told him you got 2 mins to get out if here before I tell mlse.

Nascar kicked his ass and sent him to hospital... :eek:

karlosarmenta
05-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Ya, when I saw him being put on the stretcher it was a good 40 minutes after the final whistle, not much people around. If he is not there next week we'll know why. If he was attacked it seems like the person on people must have waited till the crowd was smaller.

FluSH
05-18-2009, 12:31 PM
wow... I didn't like the fact that he was selling knock off gear but you're not gonna beat up the guy for it... that's just fucking wrong... ALso, I noticed a Hot Dog vendor there as well... did he get the boot too?

Roogsy
05-18-2009, 12:46 PM
This is messed up.

I never bought anything from the guy, I don't like buying bootleg stuff.

But whoever attacked this guy...who made him the protector of MLS/Adidas/MLSE profits? What's it to you? Let the team and the authorities take care of it if it's a problem.

The guy always had his kids with him. If they saw this...that is gut wrenching.

ExiledRed
05-18-2009, 12:51 PM
Anybody who felt strongly enough to go rough up a guy in front of his kids because he is 'stealing from the team' obviously didnt feel strongly enough to go and mix it up with the scalpers.

I hope the culprits got charged and they get raped in jail.

Bluenose13
05-18-2009, 12:53 PM
This is messed up.

But whoever attacked this guy...who made him the protector of MLS/Adidas/MLSE profits? What's it to you? Let the team and the authorities take care of it if it's a problem.

Anybody who felt strongly enough to go rough up a guy in front of his kids because he is 'stealing from the team' obviously didnt feel strongly enough to go and mix it up with the scalpers.

I hope the culprits got charged and they get raped in jail.Let's remember we have no idea what happened to this guy.

Brooker
05-18-2009, 12:54 PM
it was 2 drunk guys. dragged him to the ground and kicked him in the face & went on their way as if nothing happend. he had a nasty looking bruise under his eye.

was on the ground for about 20 minutes until the cops came. had a shirt under his head. you could tell he wasnt all there. his brother was crying and some little kids who looked like they were related looked really scared & had tears in their eyes... was pretty sad.

security guy who was handling the situation said he recognized one of the guys from his section. said he had been a trouble maker all season. kicked out twice... and on this day he was doing the kicking. lol.

Suds
05-18-2009, 01:08 PM
it was 2 drunk guys. dragged him to the ground and kicked him in the face & went on their way as if nothing happend. he had a nasty looking bruise under his eye.

So, you saw this happen? I hope you are contacting the authorities to provide them with whatever information you have.

J .
05-18-2009, 01:08 PM

was on the ground for about 20 minutes until the cops came. had a shirt under his head. you could tell he wasnt all there. his brother was crying and some little kids who looked like they were related looked really scared & had tears in their eyes... was pretty sad.

security guy who was handling the situation said he recognized one of the guys from his section. said he had been a trouble maker all season. kicked out twice... and on this day he was doing the kicking. lol.

I hope that wasnt the case. Seriously. Just no need for that stupid shit.

FluSH
05-18-2009, 01:10 PM

I hope the culprits got charged and they get raped in jail.

Straight up...

Liquor Bravery at it's finest... I wish I would have been there... maybe I'll pose as a decoy next game and we'll see what happens.

ExiledRed
05-18-2009, 01:11 PM
I hope that wasnt the case. Seriously. Just no need for that stupid shit.

It's actually quite difficult to have an accident resulting in severe trauma to the face, while standing upright selling shirts at the side of the road.

I guess it's not unheard of, but I don't think he tripped on his shoelace and hit the curb with his eye.

Brooker
05-18-2009, 01:12 PM
it was the case. it wasn't pretty.

the only reason i saw it is cuz i had to wait an hour for my west go train.... and on my back from the LCBO i saw it and instead of going back to the platform to stare at the traintracks for 45 minutes i stayed for the show on Atlantic.

Hooligan69
05-18-2009, 01:17 PM
I wonder just how brave these guys would be without any alcohol in their system.

jloome
05-18-2009, 01:22 PM
vigilantism is pretty stupid

then again, humans as a general are pretty stupid

Ohhhh yeah. Words to live by.

werewolf
05-18-2009, 01:32 PM
So, you saw this happen? I hope you are contacting the authorities to provide them with whatever information you have.

Especially if the one security guy knows where they sit.

NateDoGG
05-18-2009, 01:33 PM
was there anyone else around when this happened? nobody tried to break it up? or calls the cops on the two lame "fans" who did this?
and how was there still fans around that late after the game? and why would he still be selling tshirts that late after the game anyways?
alot of this story seems fishy

Roogsy
05-18-2009, 01:35 PM
Fans stream out long after the game is over. I've seen fans around a good hour after the game is done and if that is true, anyone selling (bootleg jerseys, hot dogs) would still be around. Nothing fishy about it.

yellowfellow
05-18-2009, 01:38 PM
I hope the security gets this guy and the police puts him in jail. We don't need this shit.

gardooney
05-18-2009, 01:46 PM
He was a nice guy. My buddy who will probably never have the chance to go to another game in T.O. got a RPB scarf and bought a shirt off of this guy. He knew it was a piece of crap knock off. But he enjoyed himself so much he just wanted another thing to take home. Poor guy is just trying to make a buck. Not like he was selling crack to teens.

samconnie
05-18-2009, 01:49 PM
unfukin believable, in front of the young boy

nascarguy
05-18-2009, 01:54 PM
yeah this is not the way to get him to stop selling

Brooker
05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
was there anyone else around when this happened? nobody tried to break it up?

kinda hard to break it up when it happens so fast. there was nothing to break up.

or calls the cops on the two lame "fans" who did this?they were called.

and how was there still fans around that late after the game?like flush said there are people around long after the game is over.

and why would he still be selling tshirts that late after the game anyways?cuz fans are still around?

alot of this story seems fishy

not really

oh well.. don't believe it. no bother to me.

apetimberlake
05-18-2009, 02:05 PM

MLSE NEED MORE MONEY!!!
THEY ARE SUCH AMAZING OWNERS!!!!

Oldtimer
05-18-2009, 02:06 PM
It could just be a robbery.

Vendor outside stadium, nobody with him but his kid, punk needing money for drugs. Happens to vendors everyday.

Assuming it's vigilanteism is jumping to conclusions.

Roogsy
05-18-2009, 02:07 PM

Vendor outside stadium, nobody with him but his kid, punk needing money for drugs. Happens to vendors everyday.

Good point.

Unfortunately.

Hooligan69
05-18-2009, 02:24 PM

Reminds me of why I don't like walking around alone late at night, especially after downing several pints. Getting lost and a bit confused on my way home from Joe's one night kinda freaked me out.

boban
05-18-2009, 02:30 PM

Seriously you're one fucked up soul.
How much does that leach of a corp have to make? Is someone sending you money? Why have this mindset for MLSE?
The guy was entrepreneurial enough to see an opportunity to make a buck.
There is a cap in this league and MLSE is making hand over fist already. You like lining their pockets even more?

And don't give me this knock off crap. Everyone here has bought some at some point in their lives. Unless you are a glutton for paying for over priced merchandise.

FluSH
05-18-2009, 02:35 PM
He was a nice guy. My buddy who will probably never have the chance to go to another game in T.O. got a RPB scarf and bought a shirt off of this guy. He knew it was a piece of crap knock off. But he enjoyed himself so much he just wanted another thing to take home. Poor guy is just trying to make a buck. Not like he was selling crack to teens.

What??? He was selling bootleg RPB scarves?!?!?!?! ok that changes the story...haha naw even then with his children around it's pretty cold to give him a beat down.

adamdz
05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Anyone have a picture of the knock off RPB scarf, maybe its better then the Argyle :D.

TorCanSoc
05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
WTF is up with a guy like this? Beat people up in front of their kids, for no apparent reason at all? Guys like this actually scare the sh*t out of me. I have no idea how people could be like that.

H Bomb
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
There is a cap in this league and MLSE is making hand over fist already. You like lining their pockets even more?

I feel for the guy, no ones needs to attack anyone, but this sentence is funny. Entrepreneurial does not include stealing ideas and making shit versions of them.

And don't give me this knock off crap. Everyone here has bought some at some point in their lives. Unless you are not a glutton for paying for unbelievably low quality merchandise .

Just cause you do it, doesnt mean it's done. Knock off shit is the material version of scalping, and should be erased. Just not through violence.

FluSH
05-18-2009, 02:41 PM
Anyone have a picture of the knock off RPB scarf, maybe its better then the Argyle :D.

You might be right!!! Argyle... DIE DIE DIE!!!

Roogsy
05-18-2009, 02:42 PM
Bootleg RPB???

Now I've heard everything.

CretanBull
05-18-2009, 02:45 PM
Seriously you're one fucked up soul.
How much does that leach of a corp have to make? Is someone sending you money? Why have this mindset for MLSE?

And don't give me this knock off crap. Everyone here has bought some at some point in their lives. Unless you are a glutton for paying for over priced merchandise.

There's no justifyling what the guy was doing, he wasn't being "entrepreneurial", he was breaking the law. Having said that, he didn't deserve to get beaten up and I hope the police are able to find them and arrest them.

Bloor West FC
05-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Sad story all in all. Did security tell you what section he sits in?

ExiledRed
05-18-2009, 02:49 PM
I dont think the guy was selling bootleg RPB scarfs. I think the poster who stated that has been misinterpreted. His friend got a RPB scarf, and in addition bought a knock off shirt from the vendor.

boban
05-18-2009, 02:50 PM
I feel for the guy, no ones needs to attack anyone, but this sentence is funny. Entrepreneurial does not include stealing ideas and making shit versions of them.
He bought the merchandise, probably put it together, etc.
Therefore he took a risk for potential profit made = entrepreneur.
Selling shirts is a legal business in this country.

Just cause you do it, doesnt mean it's done. Knock off shit is the material version of scalping, and should be erased. Just not through violence.
No its not. There is ALWAYS the official merch available.
Not so much with tickets to an event.

yellowfellow
05-18-2009, 02:52 PM
I only saw fake jerseys in his car. No knocked off RPB stuff.

Bluenose13
05-18-2009, 02:54 PM
I dont think the guy was selling bootleg RPB scarfs. I think the poster who stated that has been misinterpreted. His friend got a RPB scarf, and in addition bought a knock off shirt from the vendor.Exactly.

adamdz
05-18-2009, 02:55 PM
I dont think the guy was selling bootleg RPB scarfs. I think the poster who stated that has been misinterpreted. His friend got a RPB scarf, and in addition bought a knock off shirt from the vendor.

Ok, I need to tell him to make some then.

H Bomb
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM

No its not. There is ALWAYS the official merch available.
Not so much with tickets to an event.

yeah but this is ridiculous. you're sympathizing with a scumbag profiteer, instead of sympathizing with a human who was attacked. But his actions separate from the incident are bad. You're description of entrepreneurs makes me think less of them.

CretanBull
05-18-2009, 03:12 PM

Don't be ridiculous. Implicit in the definition of "entrepreneur" is the legality of a venture. My father was an entrepreneur, please don't equate his honest efforts and hard work with a cocaine smuggler who "takes a risk for potential profit".

Selling shirts is legal in Canada, but selling shirts that you haven't bough the distribution rights for or haven't paid a licensing fee for isn't. Without question the guy selling the shirts was in the wrong, but that doesn't give anyone the right to beat him up. If someone was offended by what he was doing they should have called the police.

Roogsy
05-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Ok guys...we're a little off topic. Both sides have had their say on the Entrepeneur point.

Nuvinho
05-18-2009, 03:17 PM
I hope he is okay. He didn't seem to harm anybody, didn't push anyone into buying stuff.

james
05-18-2009, 04:09 PM
ya i dont know if he was beatten up because he sold knock offs, might of been more just they were looking for someone to beat the shit out of and the guy happened to be wrong place wrong time, or maybe they took his money or something. I dont know, i dont picture 2 drunk guys really thinking or giving a shit to much that MLSE is lossing money from knock-off jerseys.

nfitz
05-18-2009, 04:11 PM
How awful ... hopefully they catch these evil folks and lock them away for many years. Did anyone recognise them?

stu!
05-18-2009, 04:43 PM
I once bought a bootleg u2 t-shirt (after the ZooTV show at the Ex in 92) The design was much nicer than what they were selling inside.....

boban
05-18-2009, 04:56 PM
yeah but this is ridiculous. you're sympathizing with a scumbag profiteer, instead of sympathizing with a human who was attacked. But his actions separate from the incident are bad. You're description of entrepreneurs makes me think less of them.
Guess what buddy they are the same person. I am sympathizing with both.
Actually I am not sympathizing with a 'scumbag profiteer' - I am sympathizing with a human. A guy trying to make a buck in this tough world, who is doing it in this instance without resorting to violence and not selling drugs, guns, etc.

Don't be ridiculous. Implicit in the definition of "entrepreneur" is the legality of a venture. My father was an entrepreneur, please don't equate his honest efforts and hard work with a cocaine smuggler who "takes a risk for potential profit".
Where did I say he was? He is a shirt seller, which is a legal thing to sell. Don't put words into my mouth

Selling shirts is legal in Canada, but selling shirts that you haven't bough the distribution rights for or haven't paid a licensing fee for isn't. Without question the guy selling the shirts was in the wrong, but that doesn't give anyone the right to beat him up. If someone was offended by what he was doing they should have called the police.
Alot of you post in here like your shit don't smell., like you are something better or something. He didn't have a license??!!! Big fuck!! yes on a legal point he shouldn't be doing this (only because the license fees go to another partner) but the act of selling shirts is not illegal. There are a lot more important things in life that are more 'wrong' than what this guy does. I concentrate on those.

[done]

Roogsy
05-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Next off topic post gets an infraction, no warning.

Redcoe15
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
This is the first I've heard of this story. Why hasn't this been in the news?

werewolf
05-18-2009, 07:24 PM
This is the first I've heard of this story. Why hasn't this been in the news?

Because not even Catheter nor Wheasel could spin this into a soccer hooliganism scenario.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-18-2009, 07:28 PM
selling non offical club stuff happens every weekend in the uk, and shit like this doesnt happen, the clubs just say buy offical merchandise..and only go after these people if they are within so many feet of the ground...hope the guys ok. Its not like
hes a scalper.

brad
05-18-2009, 07:35 PM
selling non offical club stuff happens every weekend in the uk, and shit like this doesnt happen, the clubs just say buy offical merchandise..and only go after these people if they are within so many feet of the ground...hope the guys ok. Its not like
hes a scalper.

Happens every day in Kensington Market. I haven't looked in a while but they used to have TFC knockoffs all the time.

gardooney
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
What??? He was selling bootleg RPB scarves?!?!?!?! ok that changes the story...haha naw even then with his children around it's pretty cold to give him a beat down.

Sorry I should clarify. We got the Knockoff scarf from Coach.;);)
And only the shirt from this guy.

college st
05-18-2009, 08:50 PM
wrong info.... read more in the thread sorry just so angry bout what happened

H Bomb
05-18-2009, 08:58 PM
i hear ya, pointless violence is a terrible thing.

mazinn
05-18-2009, 09:56 PM
I think some of the TFC fans are going drunk and acting stupid, i`ve seen this happen inside the BMO field several times, and the last one i witnessed was at the crews Game in Columbus, we even almost got burned by some flares but for sure we inhaled a good amount of smoke. and at home game with the Crews, some asshole threw a flare from 110 at some one at 113, this shit has got to stop

S_D
05-18-2009, 10:06 PM
yes this stupidity has to stop.

I saw the guy selling shirts in his van and his kid couln't have been much older that 10 or so. A very nice guy. I was trying to find out if he had any baby gear.

Drunk fans have to learn to hold their booze. I had a couple of guys from the supporters section confront me during half time outside gate 3 accusing me of being a fire fan lol. I guess alcohol impaired their vision since i was wearing a TFC hat and scarf :)

Heathen
05-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Dunno how willing he's gonna be to press charges considering the contents of his van. Can't see how anyone can accuse him of selling fakes, I mean his shirts are $20, what idiot would believe they're real.

Waggy
05-18-2009, 10:34 PM
Holy shit. I'm disgusted to have even read some of this shit. Read up on your Toronto history. The majority of immigrant groups in this city ONLY found work doing some form of what that guy does, from the turn of the century to now. Including probably a lot of your grandparents or great grandparents.

nfitz
05-18-2009, 10:53 PM
I think some of the TFC fans are going drunk and acting stupidThis isn't acting stupid. It's a serious, violent, crime. There's a big difference between that and being drunk.

Dunno how willing he's gonna be to press charges considering the contents of his van. Can't see how anyone can accuse him of selling fakes, I mean his shirts are $20, what idiot would believe they're real.Why would the legality of what he was selling have any relation to the police and the crown prosecuting the criminals who did this? If someone attacks a prostitute, the police don't not press charges based on the legality of the actions of the victim.

Roogsy
05-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Why would the legality of what he was selling have any relation to the police and the crown prosecuting the criminals who did this? If someone attacks a prostitute, the police don't not press charges based on the legality of the actions of the victim.

It has nothing to do with it in fact. He may be selling knock offs but the police would definitely be more concerned with the attack. Unless MLSE/TFC complain, they could care less what he was selling. The man was seriously injured for heaven's sakes, none of us should forget that.

nfitz
05-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Any word on the muggers who did this? Aggravated assault is punishable by up to 14-years in prison - hopefully they won't be getting to many games for the next decade.

Kevvv
05-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Holy shit. I'm disgusted to have even read some of this shit. Read up on your Toronto history. The majority of immigrant groups in this city ONLY found work doing some form of what that guy does, from the turn of the century to now. Including probably a lot of your grandparents or great grandparents.

They sold imitation potatoes or knock-off coal? What exactly are you disgusted with? I think everyone here agrees that what was done to him is reprehensible.

This isn't acting stupid. It's a serious, violent, crime. There's a big difference between that and being drunk.

If the attack was at all related to drunkeness, he could have been attacked on hundreds of occassions. Drunkeness is not the cause, and not an excuse.

Dirk Diggler
05-18-2009, 11:41 PM
Dunno how willing he's gonna be to press charges considering the contents of his van. Can't see how anyone can accuse him of selling fakes, I mean his shirts are $20, what idiot would believe they're real.

What a bunch of bull (this and some other posts in this thread). Guess what folks? I guarantee that every single person in this country has broken a law at some point in their lives. Get off your high horses and stop pretending as if selling bootleg merchandise requires capital punishment. I'm sure all of us have bought a knock off, downloaded mp3s or watched a copyrighted video on Youtube. Should the law not protect us because of it? Are we all scumbags for doing so?

I feel sorry for the guy without any reservations. What happened to him should not happen to any one on the planet ... getting beat up in front of your own kids and relatives. Just imagine how helpless all of them are going to feel the next time they step outside. It is incidents like this that make me think alcohol ban within the stadium would not be a bad idea at all.

Brooker
05-19-2009, 04:23 AM
I feel sorry for the guy without any reservations. What happened to him should not happen to any one on the planet ... getting beat up in front of your own kids and relatives. Just imagine how helpless all of them are going to feel the next time they step outside. It is incidents like this that make me think alcohol ban within the stadium would not be a bad idea at all.

yeah and then we just get even more loaded before games and bring mickies in with us.

i think banning alcohol sales inside the stadium would make it even worse, to be honest.

but thats a whole other argument.

somebody close this thread before it gets even more offtopic.

it's a typical saturday night in toronto. a drunken fight. oh well... no use dwelling on it. this isn't the first time somebody got knocked out in the area around BMO and it won't be the last.

Heathen
05-19-2009, 06:28 AM
Why would the legality of what he was selling have any relation to the police and the crown prosecuting the criminals who did this? If someone attacks a prostitute, the police don't not press charges based on the legality of the actions of the victim.

Being a prostitute isn't a crime, having a van full of knock-offs is. It happens all the time where cops will respond to a 911 call find a grow op or something and charge the victim.

Heathen
05-19-2009, 06:31 AM
What a bunch of bull (this and some other posts in this thread). Guess what folks? I guarantee that every single person in this country has broken a law at some point in their lives. Get off your high horses and stop pretending as if selling bootleg merchandise requires capital punishment. I'm sure all of us have bought a knock off, downloaded mp3s or watched a copyrighted video on Youtube. Should the law not protect us because of it? Are we all scumbags for doing so?

I'm not on any high horse whatsoever, I think the fella's actually providing a service, we can't all spend $100 on a genuine shirt. I was just stating a fact that victims of crime who are committing illegal activities themselves often aren't that willing to press charges.

nfitz
05-19-2009, 06:33 AM
Being a prostitute isn't a crime, having a van full of knock-offs is. It happens all the time where cops will respond to a 911 call find a grow op or something and charge the victim.How are the actions relavant? If the guy was savagely attacked, how was what he was selling important?

If I walk down the street to any of the half-dozen stores selling material off the black market, do I get carte blanche to start beating the guy at the till who owns the store? No, of course not.

Stop blaming the victim.

maninb
05-19-2009, 07:31 AM
I saw the cops give the guy a ticket prior to the KC game in April...They closed him up for the day....it's just the price of doing business....Hope they catch the a-holes who did this!

Heathen
05-19-2009, 08:23 AM
How are the actions relavant? If the guy was savagely attacked, how was what he was selling important?

If I walk down the street to any of the half-dozen stores selling material off the black market, do I get carte blanche to start beating the guy at the till who owns the store? No, of course not.

Stop blaming the victim.

FFS! I'm not blaming the victim, I was just stating the fact that he might be a bit wary of dealing with the cops.

olegunnar
05-19-2009, 08:32 AM
FFS! I'm not blaming the victim, I was just stating the fact that he might be a bit wary of dealing with the cops.

I know of someone that got a jaywalking ticket in their hospital bed while recovering from getting hit by a car.

scooter
05-19-2009, 09:49 AM

please clarify --- rpb scarf or tfc scarf

H Bomb
05-19-2009, 09:51 AM
^^We did this last night Scoot, the scarf was an RPB from Coach, the shirt was a knockoff from beaten on dude

scooter
05-19-2009, 10:00 AM
i know now i should have read the whole thread tks bomber

this is reprehensible if he was attacked for selling knock offs
the worst part is who made the perps cops for a day

H Bomb
05-19-2009, 10:04 AM
If you'd read it at the time it was going on you'd learn you can only take things kinda off topic at night, but in the mornings it's fine.

CaperTFC
05-19-2009, 11:16 AM
I happened to pass by this van after the game, where a small group were talking to the guy at the van. I didn't know he was selling anything, but saw shirts hanging over the back seat of the van, and a couple of little kids in it. We were near the end of the street when I heard the yelling and screaming. We turned around, and it looked like a gang fight, with several separate people getting in fights, and quickly getting pounced on. There was also a girl kicking at a fella's head when he was down. From start to finish, it may have been a minute or two at most. People coming up the street after the fight said that a girl took pictures of the fight, and she had the main attacker's pic. The police were on the scene in about 5 minutes, I hope they spoke to the camera girl. If not, the guy that did the beating may be in worse trouble if those pics get out.

Having said that, we kept going towards Shoeless Joe's, and a couple of youngsters started to challenge us if we were Chicago fans, punching their hands looking for a confrontation. Our group, numbering more than 6 big guys, weren't threatened, but its a shame this stuff even happens.

TheresOnlyOneDeGuzman
05-19-2009, 11:43 AM
and to hear that a GIRL kicked his face while he was down is fucking disturbing. like what can be going through someones head that inpires them to hit someone who is already on the ground especially when they (im assuming) werent even the one to knock him down. thats actually completely fucking disgusting that girl is absolute scum if thats true. im sorry im just really pissed ill stop typing before i say anything too stupid.

Hooligan69
05-19-2009, 12:02 PM
It's very saddening to hear stuff like this happened. What is stopping these scumbags from doing the same to someone else?

mazinn
05-19-2009, 02:56 PM
[quote=nfitz;524486]This isn't acting stupid. It's a serious, violent, crime. There's a big difference between that and being drunk.

I totally agree with you, it is serious voilent crime, and its not smart thing to do, so for the time beeing we will refer to it as stupid voilent act.
I really hope that vendor is doing well. I am sure some one must have seen who did it

mazinn
05-19-2009, 03:03 PM

Couldnt agree more,my windows xp i am using right now is an illegal copy, i down load movies, music you name it, i have dish network receiver to watch free ppv movies, i hope the guys who beat the vender would try to do the same to me

flatpicker
05-19-2009, 03:06 PM
^ not to mention TFC turns a blind eye to our RPB merch that includes the TFC logo on it!

This shouldn't be an issue about what the dude was selling... rather, why must people lash out like violent morons??!!

Nuvinho
05-19-2009, 03:07 PM
^ not to mention TFC turns a blind eye to our RPB merch that includes the TFC logo on it!

This shouldn't be an issue about what the dude was selling... rather, why must people lash out like violent morons??!!

+1 I agree

C.Ronaldo
05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
my prayers are with him and that his kids come out knowing violence is not the answer, instead growing up looking for vengence

trane
05-19-2009, 03:11 PM
This is messed up.

Agreed. Getting beat up is bad enough, getting beat up infront of you kids, is horrible. The kids are going to remeber this all their live. This is very wrong.

Stencils
05-19-2009, 03:19 PM
and to hear that a GIRL kicked his face while he was down is fucking disturbing. like what can be going through someones head that inpires them to hit someone who is already on the ground especially when they (im assuming) werent even the one to knock him down. thats actually completely fucking disgusting that girl is absolute scum if thats true. im sorry im just really pissed ill stop typing before i say anything too stupid.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but what does the person's sex have to do with their degree of responsibility to not to do something violent or illegal?

Anyway, I'm not impressed with the people who did this and would like to see them charged. I'm also not terribly impressed with people who operate illegal businesses either, but my moral obligation there is simply not to support those businesses with my money.

Kooper
05-19-2009, 04:12 PM
How are the actions relavant? If the guy was savagely attacked, how was what he was selling important?

Stop blaming the victim.

To over simplify.

If you saw an old lady getting mugged would it be acceptable to attack the mugger?

Keegan
05-19-2009, 04:35 PM

MLSE has done it's fair share of stealing too.

Shakes McQueen
05-19-2009, 05:42 PM

Stop blaming the victim.

Are you guys all intentionally missing his point or something?

His point was that the victim of this beating might be wary of dealing with the police, because he deals in what is ultimately an illegal enterprise, and may end up being charged for that in the process. There is tons of precedent for victims getting charged by police, for crimes unrelated to the incident.

He isn't making an argument that the poor soul had it coming to him, or that vigilanteism is somehow okay because the victim was doing something illegal. Good lord guys.

- Scott

nfitz
05-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Are you guys all intentionally missing his point or something?

His point was that the victim of this beating might be wary of dealing with the police, because he deals in what is ultimately an illegal enterprise, and may end up being charged for that in the process. There is tons of precedent for victims getting charged by police, for crimes unrelated to the incident.

He isn't making an argument that the poor soul had it coming to him, or that vigilanteism is somehow okay because the victim was doing something illegal. Good lord guys.

- ScottI believe that's what he said in response to the same post ... I don't see the need to repeat it ... no one else has said anything.

Blizzard
05-19-2009, 10:32 PM

I got the impression that the girl was kicking one of the attackers. I'm hoping that was the case and that she wasn't one of the perps.

rocker
05-19-2009, 10:34 PM
now, if he'd been selling Columbus shirts............

Blizzard
05-19-2009, 10:36 PM
To over simplify.

If you saw an old lady getting mugged would it be acceptable to attack the mugger?

You wouldn't be "attacking" the mugger. You would be "defending" the old lady!

As long as you limit yourself to what is necessary in the defence of the old lady, you're ok.

If you kick the guys head in, ya, then you've crossed the line and could be charged.

C.Ronaldo
05-20-2009, 07:54 AM
selling copied shirts is by law illegal, but that doesn't make it morally wrong.

stugautz
05-20-2009, 11:05 AM
now, if he'd been selling Columbus shirts............

he'd be broke :D

Lucky Strike
05-20-2009, 11:22 AM
You wouldn't be "attacking" the mugger. You would be "defending" the old lady!

As long as you limit yourself to what is necessary in the defence of the old lady, you're ok.

If you kick the guys head in, ya, then you've crossed the line and could be charged.

+1. Anything that goes beyond the minimum necessary to defend yourself or another person would count as assault.

ochos
05-21-2009, 05:37 PM
maybe a banner next game is in order..

"NO PUNKS ALLOWED. GO BEAT UP YOURSELVES, COWARDS!"

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-21-2009, 06:29 PM
I could care less what happen to this guy all i know is that if we don't win our next game things can be going down hill very fast, and close this thread already what does it have to do with TFC

Candu_88
05-22-2009, 08:19 AM
I could care less what happen to this guy all i know is that if we don't win our next game things can be going down hill very fast, and close this thread already what does it have to do with TFC

No don't close this down until we get assurance that the drunken muggers have been captured and the sales gentleman is okay. I was very upset to hear about this and wished I had left the stadium later so I could have protected this guy.

Me and my kids all have official TFC shirts and other paraphernalia. But let's be honest they are pricey. Adidas sell those shirts to retailers at considerably less than the final price. The kids wear their TFC shirts to school and soccer practices all the time. Doing laundry is not environmentally friendly. I'll be honest, I was tempted to buy more shirts from this guy to cut down on laundry and yet still continue to advertise for TFC and BMO and promote the growing Canadian soccer culture.

Roogsy
05-22-2009, 08:21 AM

That's cold. And very disappointing you feel that way.

This is something that happened after a TFC game likely by someone who attended that game. So there is your TFC connection.

yellowfellow
05-22-2009, 08:23 AM
This has TFC connection as Roogsy pointed out. Although I don't agree with what the guy was selling, I felt bad and sorry for him.

Banner: Supporters Against Violence

Juanito
05-22-2009, 08:28 AM

So, if you get mugged, and get beat up we should just leave you to stew in your own blood?

Have compassion man! The guy was just trying to make a living. He wasn't selling narcotics, and he had his son with him,

NO CHILD should ever see that kind of violence, especially to your own parents!

maninb
05-22-2009, 08:29 AM

Nice! I can tell you're a real caring human being....jerk!

Pachuco
05-22-2009, 08:51 AM

WOW! Goes to show there are lots of cold people around. Wouldn't be surprised if you stood and watched or if you were involved.

dupont
05-22-2009, 09:56 AM
I could care less what happen to this guy

Whew, that is a relief. For a second there I thought you said you COULDN'T care less about him. Fortunately, what you actually said was that you COULD care less which means that you do care about him. I agree. It's a shame what happened to him.

nascarguy
05-22-2009, 10:43 AM
That's cold. And very disappointing you feel that way.

This is something that happened after a TFC game likely by someone who attended that game. So there is your TFC connection.
but you do not know for sure. It's could have been anyone that just wanting his money for drugs or beer, but as for the tfc connection this has to do with tfc shirt.

Did anyone hear if the cops are going to give him a fine for sell fake tfc shirt?

H Bomb
05-22-2009, 10:47 AM
^^ I doubt he'll be fined for this as he has been fined before....I'm more interested to see if he'll be back.

nobodybeatsthewiz
05-22-2009, 10:49 AM
the only thing i care about is a finely crafted sandwich.

(and maybe if theres time, good will among men/women)

trane
05-22-2009, 10:51 AM
^ I hope that he does come back, only because I would not want to see that he is OK. But things will be different, he will not be able to bring his children, and that sucks. His live will be changed by the incident no matter what.

Again I have not opinion on the merchanise, is infrigment of copyright, but that is do be dealt by the courts, not but some self proclaimed TFC copyrights vigilantes.

H Bomb
05-22-2009, 10:54 AM
^^ I agree...I dont care if he comes back or not, and if he does I will disagree with his process, but as has been stated here many times, what's he's gone through sucks, and no one should have to go through it.

grizzle
05-22-2009, 11:47 AM
This thread is full of some retarded responses...

Banning alcohol in the stadium, are you kidding me??? It is people like you that are the reason our lives are so controlled by rules where the government are our babysitters. First off, how do you even know these guys were at the game? There is nothing here stating that other than a security guy had seen these guys in his section (but I don't think it specified on this particular day). Secondly how do you know they got their alcohol from BMO? Sure they could have had 1 or 2 beers there, but then they could have gone drinking somewhere else after. Also, did anyone breathalize these people? No, so how do you know they were drunk? They could have been high on something or maybe completely sober. Lastly, how is banning alcohol at the stadium going to prevent problems that happen outside the stadium? The problem has to do with education. If a server is serving a person beyond the point of intoxication they can be held PERSONALLY liable the actions of that person until they sober up. If an establishment is found doing this they can be fined and lose their liquour license. The best action would be further staff training. All servers (actually pretty much everyone working at BMO field) has their smart serve (which outlines all of what I have said above) so they should know this. If people are found to not adhering to these laws then BMO should take action on those servers. If they stopped serving beer you could probably say goodbye to about 40% of revenue made at the stadium which is bad for the team.

As for the attack, it is awful that the guy got beat up, but commenting on a situation where you know nothing about the background to the attack is pointless. Maybe this is an ongoing thing between these individuals, maybe the attack was provoked (ie. started by victim), plus many other possibilities. I agree that violence is not the answer, but a lot of people are assuming that the victim was 100% innocent without knowing all the facts.

ochos
05-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Would someone with contacts please look into this so we can move this debate along.. I sympathize with this guy as the rest of the well wishers, but the same thing's been said about 60 times. Please, no more posts until we find out what really happened.

Blazer
05-22-2009, 12:36 PM

Yes! Who cares if Reds fans are leaving games drunk, high, and filled with so much rage that they can't control themselves – enough rage to cause physical harm to someone (if that is in fact what happened here although it’s mere speculation) – so long as we are winning games, assaults should not only be forgiven, but made mandatory in this city!

You’re a fuck-tard pal. Pure and simple.

Oldtimer
05-22-2009, 01:10 PM
This thread has degenerated into name-calling.

Until there is some actual news on this guy, let's consider thread closed.