PDA

View Full Version : MLSE the next step

Inswingingwingman
05-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Despite the fact that we are all knashing our teeth over bad finishes and FieldTurf and laclustre play I have a suggestion.

The Chicago Fire share their stadium with...guess who..women's pro footy. Yup the Red Stars.

Now I might be out to lunch on this but I watched every minute of that 2002 tournament in Edmonton, and I think Canadian women, playing in the same environment as TFC, would be a very marketable concept. And I think Canada deserves a team in an Internation Women's League, the real question is why are we not there now?

Note to Paul, just do it.

Krasno.pL.
05-17-2009, 08:45 AM
no thanks :)

London
05-17-2009, 08:50 AM
isn't that women's team in the womens USL ??

squarehead
05-17-2009, 08:58 AM
Wasn't there a poll thread a while back asking how many people would be interested in watching a "female version of TFC" or something along those lines?

(Did it end in a resounding "No I wouldn't" landslide? Was it the same thread starter as this time?)

You got to fight for your right to watch women play pro-footy I guess :P

pubboy
05-17-2009, 10:23 AM
yep - out to lunch i'm afraid. Wouldnt be interested in the slightest in women's football

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 10:26 AM
No thanks.

That being said...I will probably watch the Canada vs US women's game the Monday after this one.

Kevvv
05-17-2009, 10:42 AM
No thanks.

That being said...I will probably watch the Canada vs US women's game the Monday after this one.

There's a good indication of the interest - how many this match draws. 7,000?

Inswingingwingman
05-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Ah a bunch of misogynists.

But imagine the Canadian National Team moved to Toronto and playing at BMO and part of an international league. What's the downside exactly?

At least the likes if Christine Sinclair and Kara Lang could finish.

So it's not for the love of football in Toronto, it's just the chance to be like Leaf fans and whine and cry about the loser team and self-flagellate?

Congrats, that must be a whack of fun.

Cashcleaner
05-17-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm down with watching women's pro soccer moreso than paying to see a reserve game. WMLS? Bring it on!

rocker
05-17-2009, 12:11 PM
Ah a bunch of misogynists.
At least the likes if Christine Sinclair and Kara Lang could finish.

to me it's about the level of quality. i want to see the best level of quality in my town. RIght now that's MLS. Women's soccer is much less quality.
I don't watch junior hockey either. Some people get all excited about junior hockey, but the quality is not as good as the NHL so I don't watch.

Some people take the play of women's soccer completely out of context. Sinclair and Lang finish because the defenses are not as good and the goalkeepers are not as good.
Marta looks great against women, but you put her on a men's team and she's probably barely able to make the practice roster.

Sinclair and Lang would never score a goal in MLS.
I just can't be bothered to pay for that quality of game when MLS is better.

Pookie
05-17-2009, 12:13 PM
There is no downside really.

Regardless of what you draw, you'd make more than the $150/hour it costs to rent the pitch.

There are other benefits such as an "Academy/Summer Camps" program for youth.

You are talking about justifying the expense by generating revenue.

The number of international events you could host (before Vancouver gets in on this or Montreal expands) could be significant. If Toronto is established as the "home base" before they get the chance... we win. You invest now to eliminate competition.

That U20 event generated close to $1M.

Inswingingwingman
05-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Ah, pay to see the leafs? If I win a lottery maybe. Even the local London Knights are a tad pricey. $10 a beer.

There are 9000 people at every London Knights game and the dozen I've been too are faster, more physical, and more intense than anything but the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I thought it was the 'love of the game'. Then more to a Premiership local in England or elsewhere. To brag that TFC is the be all and end all of football in Canada is silly.

rocker
05-17-2009, 12:26 PM
To brag that TFC is the be all and end all of football in Canada is silly.

if you want to argue "rah rah rah, support the ladies cuz they be canadian" then fine.

But to argue "support the ladies cuz Sinclair is a better quality finisher than Chad Barrett" is silly.
Sinclair wouldn't make the practice roster of an MLS team.
I want to spend my money on the highest quality soccer I can find locally.
That is MLS.

it has NOTHING to do with "misogyny".

squarehead
05-17-2009, 01:14 PM
"Misogyny [mɪˈsɒdʒɪni] is hatred (or contempt) of women or girls."

How do you get to that from "not interested in paying money to watch women play footy"? It's not cause it's women - it's cause I don't want to pay money for it. And to react in such a way after asking for people's personal opinion on this subject paints you in a very unflattering light.

Inswingingwingman
05-17-2009, 02:22 PM
So the HUGE fan attendance when the women play the tournement in 2002 was just a waste of their time and money.

So is women's tennis, golf, hockey etc. eh?

Or maybe beach volleyball is ok but not the rest?

I remember that there are women in the Olympics, should we cancel that, they could never compete with the men.

The whole argument that the MLS is the pinnacle of whatever is just spurious or exactly what I said.

There's a pro women's basketball league, I doubt any of them would be starting for the Raptors.

The point is, Toronto is a sports city, larger than the others, more cosmopolitan, and should be leading the way when it comes to multiculturalism and where 'other' sports are appreciated.

No one is suggesting that if the Canadian Woman's team was playing for the world championship at BMO field that you have to buy a ticket. My arguement was the the Fire share the field with a professional women's football team, and that we, the mecca of 'sports' are not in the picture. MLSE being the owners of sports franchises might find they can sell out women's pro football in Toronto too, for a lot less money, and still sell beer. And almost all of them will be way cuter than big Danny, though perhaps not as entertaining.

prizby
05-17-2009, 02:32 PM
instead of a women MLS team (although I'd watch), I want to see a Female Toronto Football team in the Lingerie league

http://www.lflus.com/

tell me YOU WOULD NOT go see this

Inswingingwingman
05-17-2009, 02:48 PM
If they put that on at half time many of the supporters would pee their pants before the 70 minute mark.

Cause the 20 minute trip to the loo would be out. And the beer guys would still come.

prizby
05-17-2009, 05:16 PM
If they put that on at half time many of the supporters would pee their pants before the 70 minute mark.

Cause the 20 minute trip to the loo would be out. And the beer guys would still come.

i think there would be a bit more than peeing of the pants

Mojo
05-17-2009, 05:19 PM
I think the CWNT is enough for me :>

pubboy
05-17-2009, 06:49 PM
dude - just not interested in watching women playing footy, and even less interested in your silly arguments as to why we should all want to.

billyfly
05-17-2009, 07:19 PM
I generally like female soccer player's legs.

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 07:21 PM
I like female soccer players...they are fit but generally not "bulky". :D

james
05-18-2009, 12:45 PM
if they got a pro womans team in Toronto i think attendence would be between 5,000-10,000 people at the games. It wouldnt be a huge attendence draw.

TFC07
05-18-2009, 12:57 PM
I think TFC women team will do well in GTA as long they market to girls teams and soccer moms. You not going to get too many hardcore fans to support TFC ladies team though.

EDIT: If MLSE going to get a ladies team, do you think MLSE would force TFC season ticket holders to buy season tickets for women's team too?

J .
05-18-2009, 01:11 PM
not really interested in a womens team but I wouldnt be against it I just couldnt pay for it. Maybe if they played after the TFC games... I did like watching the reserve games to see how our backups were doing.

Pookie
05-18-2009, 02:12 PM
As long as they bring in more revenue than renting does at $150/hour, it's a bonus for the team and city.

Waggy
05-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Heh, the might force it, you never know. Either way, theres a big difference between watching Canada play the US in a major tournament to watching Womens soccer once a week. Once every 4 years, I watch everything from skiing to louge to figure skating. Does it mean I would do it more often than every 4 years? Not in any way shape or form. I like watching the womens nats play in big games. If saying I wouldn't watch them play nothing games against the LA Galaxy (What, Landy cakes doesn't get to play for both teams?! ;) joking joking), that doesn't make me a mysogenist. It makes me someone who appreciates good football when I see it. Or don't.

That said, I have no problem with the existance of the team. Who knows, maybe I'd go to a game a year. It would be a good training ground for our Nats.

Hooligan69
05-18-2009, 02:39 PM
Sinclair and Lang would never score a goal in MLS.

TFC doesn't seem to score any either. :lol: