PDA

View Full Version : I'm Blind, I'm Deaf, I Wanna Be A Ref!

greatwhitenorf
05-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Why do MLS even bother with officials?

Rules? We don't have to administer no stinkin' rules.

Especially when hand ball calls pertain to TFC, a club that is quite expendable, from a marketing standpoint, in the whole scheme of things in MLS. I had no problem with the call in Washington that granted DCU their equalizer. But here? Today?

Horseshit. That's what they were today. That's what they've been all too often in TFC's history.

A rope! A tree! Let's hang the referee!

Davenport
05-16-2009, 05:53 PM
What exactly does that first sentence mean?
It's the kind of thing hockey mums chant when they're watching their precious 6 year olds play.

I can't quote the best chant...it's not politically correct.

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I just want to know what u guy's think ? I HAVE THE VID OF THIS NON CALL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOQc25M_vc

I just don't get it this year do the ref's hate us that much. The ref has a great view of this play and make's no call i just don't get it, I can see why JC went back home.

Raging Reggie
05-16-2009, 08:01 PM
wellllll now, back on topic

calls in this league are super inconsistant its fustrating beyond believe, i flipped out over the DC call against wynne last week but really, what is a hand ball in the box? its all over the map with every ref in this league, its terrible, on thing is a hand ball one time it isnt a hand ball. I guess its no secret though that the refs in this league are pure shite, second rate...fustrating

prizby
05-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Refs hate Canada

Ricardo Salazar is from Illinois which is the state of chicago...some bias?

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-16-2009, 08:06 PM
is it BMO FIELD they hate or just TFC

Lennon
05-16-2009, 08:07 PM
Refs hate Canada

Ricardo Salazar is from Illinois which is the state of chicago...some bias?

Really? Wow that's a joke ... he shouldn't be allowed to ref this game ...

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Ricardo Salazar is from Illinois

If this is true ?

olegunnar
Did the ref get his autographed Blanco jersey?

prizby
Really? Wow that's a joke ... he shouldn't be allowed to ref this game ...

no joke

http://www.ussoccer.com/bio/index.jsp_7600.html

Salazar resides in Elgin, Ill., with his wife, Jennifer, and daughters Isabella, 4, and Iliana, 2.

werewolf
05-16-2009, 08:13 PM
off-topic posts have been deleted.

The ref lives in Illinois :rofl: WOW!

Juanito
05-16-2009, 08:16 PM
^^
Hmm .... that's probably a bad decision by the league. However, the ref didn't stop us from missing the back of the net, we didn't need help to stink up the joint!

egoodwin
05-16-2009, 08:17 PM
I think that the ref today really turned a blind eye many times... the officiating has been extremely inconsistent

prizby
05-16-2009, 08:17 PM
off-topic posts have been deleted.

The ref lives in Illinois :rofl: WOW!

about 75-100km outside of chicago (i just looked it up on google maps)

actually 56.15km (straight line)

http://www.mapcrow.info/cgi-bin/cities_distance_airpt2.cgi?city3=3691%2CE&city4=3553%2CC

Ladies Love Julius James
05-16-2009, 08:19 PM
and when Silviu Petrescu refs for TFC games he's less than 100km outside of Toronto. The team was shit today, stop blaming the ref.

wzhxvy
05-16-2009, 08:21 PM
That non call took the life out of the team...where is the commissioner now...the ref's ass should be fired immediately

werewolf
05-16-2009, 08:24 PM
and when Silviu Petrescu refs for TFC games he's less than 100km outside of Toronto. The team was shit today, stop blaming the ref.

the team did play like garbage for most of the match, but a hand-ball in the box when its 0-0....yikes!

Ladies Love Julius James
05-16-2009, 08:26 PM
the team did play like garbage for most of the match, but a hand-ball in the box when its 0-0....yikes!

Iono hand balls in the box are always controversial to me it looked like the defender legitimitly tried to get his hand out the way, can't look for calls when you play so shit though I do agree, a goal changes things.

prizby
05-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Iono hand balls in the box are always controversial to me it looked like the defender legitimitly tried to get his hand out the way, can't look for calls when you play so shit though I do agree, a goal changes things.

same could be said about wynne's 2 calls

Ladies Love Julius James
05-16-2009, 08:31 PM
same could be said about wynne's 2 calls

Agreed but in this case his hands were closer to his side, where as Wynne's were further apart, though I do agree in a split second in the moment thing it is VERY difficult to make a call on these sort of plays, same with offsides that are very close.

egoodwin
05-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I can't really blame the refs for this loss...

if our finishing was better/Busch not incredible it could have been 4-2

prizby
05-16-2009, 08:33 PM
Agreed but in this case his hands were closer to his side, where as Wynne's were further apart, though I do agree in a split second in the moment thing it is VERY difficult to make a call on these sort of plays, same with offsides that are very close.

all i want to see is what is kosher for one, should be the same for the other, it hit his hand, it hit his hand, its been called on wynne, should be called on all the other teams, i don't see fair treatment whatsoever

Ladies Love Julius James
05-16-2009, 08:35 PM
all i want to see is what is kosher for one, should be the same for the other, it hit his hand, it hit his hand, its been called on wynne, should be called on all the other teams, i don't see fair treatment whatsoever

What about determining if it was intentional or not? If he made an attempt to get his hand out of the way? If his hand was sticking out or by his sides and there was no way he could avoid it? All things a ref has to consider in the fraction of a second he gets to make the calls.

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM
^^^ check it out for your self http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKOQc25M_vc&feature=channel_page

werewolf
05-16-2009, 08:38 PM
^ or if the ball is deflected off a shin a meter away from him

:rolleyes:

K1nG
05-16-2009, 09:33 PM
Also there didn't seem to be a scoring chance present had he not handled the ball. Non the less, MLSE needs to get their refs on the same page because we've been fucked by the ref out of many points this year.

Pookie
05-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Also there didn't seem to be a scoring chance present had he not handled the ball. Non the less, MLSE needs to get their refs on the same page because we've been fucked by the ref out of many points this year.

While this may not be the popular opinion, people forget that we benefited from a non-hand ball call on our boys in the box in extra time vs Kansas City (April 26th). We ran out the clock with a 1-0 victory. It could have very easily ended as a draw.

How is a perceived non-call the fault of MLSE? Are you suggesting team owners should have influence over officials?

While the obvious missed call is a bad one, if you were to believe the "experts" in the stands, everytime one of our players goes down the Ref is a wanker.

Even when Guevara is doing his best Schelotto impression and writhing in agony only to pop up act as if nothing has happened. Even when an opposing player makes a slide tackle in a non-careless manner and contacts the ball first. Even when one of our Reds is clearly in an offside position.

Even this hand ball call is not an automatic one. The Referee has discretion to determine if it was deliberate. Whenever you have discretion, you will have debate. Calls go for you and against you. In every sport. In every facet of life. In the end, you can only hope that it evens itself out. Accept it. Move on.

The only way to deal with it is to control what you have the power to control.

Yeah, I'm pissed that the call was missed.

But I'm more pissed that we outshot them and couldn't convert anything. That we had 4 corners and couldn't covert anything and that's not counting Serioux's "Corners" that come from a throw in to the box.

That's the stuff we have control over and our boys need some work there.

Pachuco
05-17-2009, 08:31 AM
how about you guys complain about the ref in Montreal? after all, he did rob them of a goal. Oh no wait, we only complain when the call goes against us. :rolleyes:

Way too much bias in here, just worry about supporting the team and stop being obsessed with the ref's calls in every game.

Go ask any supporter's club and they'll tell you the refs are against them.

Inswingingwingman
05-17-2009, 08:37 AM
Silviu Petrescu as mentioned above.

Was the 4th offical yesterday right?

Brooker
05-17-2009, 08:59 AM
Way too much bias in here, just worry about supporting the team and stop being obsessed with the ref's calls in every game.

Go ask any supporter's club and they'll tell you the refs are against them.

when a hand ball in the box isnt called it's bad enough.... but when the offending team scores 30 seconds later, you can understand why people are pissed off.

Pachuco
05-17-2009, 09:39 AM
when a hand ball in the box isnt called it's bad enough.... but when the offending team scores 30 seconds later, you can understand why people are pissed off.

Dude, they scored 30 seconds later because the team stopped defending. Not because the ref picked up the ball and put the ball in the net for them. We also lost 2-0. So say all you want, that hand ball had nothing to do with our lack of ability to finish. What's funny is I don't think we've ever scored a penalty (besides the friendly) at BMO field. Fuck we can't even score penalties away from home. So what makes you all so sure we actually put the ball in the back of the net if the hand ball is called?

We've had calls go our way this year, the Montreal game should have been 1 -1. Yet I don't see anyone complaining about the ref there?

Dave67
05-17-2009, 09:43 AM
The ref had Blanco's dick so far down his throat it was disgusting. Fucking special treatment that fat bastard gets in this league is crazy.

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 09:56 AM
Weren't there TWO handballs that weren't called? I could have sworn there was a 2nd incident.

As for ref bias. I knew that Montreal offside call was going to be used by ref apologists. One call goes our way and all of a sudden the calls are balanced. It's not like we haven't had more than a dozen calls go against us unfairly that surely ONE call makes it for it.

:rolleyes:

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 10:02 AM
Dude, they scored 30 seconds later because the team stopped defending.

We've had calls go our way this year, the Montreal game should have been 1 -1. Yet I don't see anyone complaining about the ref there?

This is true. I don't know if the players were worked up about the non-call or simply fell asleep, but they really did screw the pooch on that goal. That was atrocious. But it also points out the fact that even professional players are affected by the ref's screwups...how then can you expect supporters in the stands to overlook these horrible refs?

As for the Montreal call, Pachuco, I really hope you are not going to use one call going forward to justify the landslide of horrible calls against us. One call does not erase 3 years of bad PKs against us, ghost offsides, and harsh red cards. Before that, when was the last time a real goal for our opponent was called back? Can you even find another one? 3 years and finally a call goes our way...sorry, I acknowledge that goal was legit (and it HAS been acknowledged on this board despite your claims otherwise) but it doesn't "help" our impression of refs in this league and their bias against Toronto FC.

Pachuco
05-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Nobody is sitting here apologizing for the ref. It was a bad call and it should've been called. However, when some people sit here and say the ref cost us points then I have to laugh. The game finished 2-0. And we can't score penalties for shit. So assuming we tie this game if that call goes our way is just funny.

Last week when Montreal blamed the ref for losing it looked childish on them. Considering we outshot them and outplayed them. Now this week, us blaiming the ref for losing is childish too. Considering we had a misreable time putting the ball in the back of the net.

Pachuco
05-17-2009, 10:10 AM
This is true. I don't know if the players were worked up about the non-call or simply fell asleep, but they really did screw the pooch on that goal. That was atrocious. But it also points out the fact that even professional players are affected by the ref's screwups...how then can you expect supporters in the stands to overlook these horrible refs?

As for the Montreal call, Pachuco, I really hope you are not going to use one call going forward to justify the landslide of horrible calls against us. One call does not erase 3 years of bad PKs against us, ghost offsides, and harsh red cards. Before that, when was the last time a real goal for our opponent was called back? Can you even find another one? 3 years and finally a call goes our way...sorry, I acknowledge that goal was legit (and it HAS been acknowledged on this board despite your claims otherwise) but it doesn't "help" our impression of refs in this league and their bias against Toronto FC.

Like I said, it was penalty and the ref should've called it. You just won't hear me say that it cost us points. I'm only using the Montreal call because it was recent and it was obvious that the call went our way. It's easy to remember calls against you and to forget calls that go your way.

Pookie
05-17-2009, 10:44 AM
Like I said, it was penalty and the ref should've called it. You just won't hear me say that it cost us points. I'm only using the Montreal call because it was recent and it was obvious that the call went our way. It's easy to remember calls against you and to forget calls that go your way.

Let's not forget the KC game either. We had a hand ball in the box on Valez that wasn't called in extra time.

Game finished 1-0 in our favour. We very easily could have ended with a draw.

I wonder if people understand what a "discretionary call" is all about.

Let's focus on the missed shots, the missed corners. The only guys to blame for the loss are the guys on the field.

Detroit_TFC
05-17-2009, 11:48 AM
Best moment of the match for me:

When an entire team of U-8s sitting in 221 near me started singing "I'm blind, I'm deaf..."

And the children will lead us... :)

rocker
05-17-2009, 12:08 PM
Best moment of the match for me:

When an entire team of U-8s sitting in 221 near me started singing "I'm blind, I'm deaf..."

And the children will lead us... :)

there's a 6 year old next to me sometimes with his dad.
he's amazing. one game when it was realy windy he yelled "KEEP IT ON THE GROUND!!!!" and he always gets the "This is our house!" chant going.

Pookie
05-17-2009, 12:09 PM
least they didn't start with "who's your girlfriend, who's your girlfriend... "

what was with the dude and the firecracker (I'm assuming) at half time?

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Ah....the next generation.

They have a good start.

I am jealous. I would have loved to have had TFC when I was a kid.

Blazer
05-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Yesterday’s display of officiating was, in a word – deplorable. Although other words that come to mind are embarrassing, shameful, and impartial.

Was the DeRo body check early on a non-call because it was still early in the game, and to call a penalty so quickly could negatively dictate the nature of the balance of the match? Cause I'm still trying to convince myself of anything logically possible. Certainly one would concede that a Wynne handball late in another game is more influential to the outcome, no? Was it easier for Salazar to let the DeRo body check fly and send the message to the players and coaches that he just wants them to play the game and be a non-factor as an objective official? Cause boy was he a factor.

And was the blatant handball genuinely missed when 20,000 spectators appeared to have seen it?

If MLS is to emerge as a legitimate professional league in the Americas, then this sort of stuff needs to be addressed – and soon! Otherwise, reputations and suppositions will haunt this thing long after it folds. You want credible coaches and players that don’t leave or look past MLS because of its problematic reputation? Fix your name here Garber so that we can continue to do our part supporting this team without reservation of the league. Toronto fans want to start feeling proud of a league that’s shamefully unjust right now.

Blazer
05-17-2009, 12:54 PM
Let's not forget the KC game either. We had a hand ball in the box on Valez that wasn't called in extra time.

Game finished 1-0 in our favour. We very easily could have ended with a draw.

I wonder if people understand what a "discretionary call" is all about.

Let's focus on the missed shots, the missed corners. The only guys to blame for the loss are the guys on the field.

Agreed.

But remember that the DeRo body check non-call in the box early on could have easily made it 1-0 and assuming that Chicago still gets their first goal, a 1-1 game. The second goal in my opinion was a result of a deflated and defeated mentality only moments after the missed handball. The game could have been 1-1 or 3-3 if both teams were finishing properly.

Jeffro
05-17-2009, 02:15 PM
If we're going to be pissed off at anyone it should be at our players for going to sleep after a percieved non call.

Personally I think the hand ball was never a penalty, but regardless of what happens, good call or bad call, we need to keep playing. That's what turned the game against us, not the ref, no matter how bad he was.

Blazer
05-17-2009, 02:16 PM
^ You're right. And that's what happened. So caught up in the non-call that we forgot about the counter attack.

Blizzard
05-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Agreed.

But remember that the DeRo body check non-call in the box early on could have easily made it 1-0 and assuming that Chicago still gets their first goal, a 1-1 game. The second goal in my opinion was a result of a deflated and defeated mentality only moments after the missed handball. The game could have been 1-1 or 3-3 if both teams were finishing properly.

Personally, I think the "DeRo body check" was just a good old fashioned shoulder (to shoulder) charge.

The problem with this league is too many referees consider that to be a foul. Marvel has gotten away with similar things in the past. Shoulder to shoulder! Nothing wrong with that.

As for the handball, based on past calls, it should have been called but there again is the incredible inconsistency of the officials in MLS.

J .
05-17-2009, 05:19 PM
We did play like shit to day. But going up 1-0 at that point would have been huge.

We have lost 7 points due to these types of poor calls.

rocker
05-17-2009, 05:58 PM
I'm still waiting for things to "even out" as people keep sayin will happen eventually.... they always say that but we have had way more penalties against than for.

i also think the refs influence is magnified in MLS cuz the teams are all so close in skill level. Man U can overcome a bad call and score 3 more goals so it doesn't matter.

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 06:02 PM
I'm still waiting for things to "even out" as people keep sayin will happen eventually.... they always say that but we have had way more penalties against than for.

i also think the refs influence is magnified in MLS cuz the teams are all so close in skill level. Man U can overcome a bad call and score 3 more goals so it doesn't matter.

So....SOOOOO true.

3 years of bad calls...none of those 3 seasons it seemed like things "evened out"...will it take another 3 seasons of calls going our way so we can finally get some justice?

London
05-17-2009, 06:08 PM
anyone know anything about the ref being suspended for a month and this was his first game back??

get this, he was banned for getting douche blanco's jersey after a match according to mas and omar from NEE ( i ran into them after the game)

Blazer
05-17-2009, 06:12 PM
If he was indeed suspended for this, hell even if he wasn’t … it’s just an all around black eye for a league that can’t afford to be sporting one right now.

Bluenose13
05-17-2009, 06:18 PM
anyone know anything about the ref being suspended for a month and this was his first game back??

get this, he was banned for getting douche blanco's jersey after a match according to mas and omar from NEE ( i ran into them after the game)
I remember reading about this about a month ago......I think he asked for the jersey at half time or Blanco was seen giving it to him at half time.

Yohan
05-17-2009, 06:19 PM

You're talking about Marrufo, not Salazar (who was the ref yesterday)

London
05-17-2009, 06:21 PM

thanks for clarifying!!
i was going on what i heard, still that is fucked up!

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 06:22 PM

Correct

Jair Marrufo = Dumbass ref that accepted Blanco's jersey

Ricardo Salazar = Douchebag ref that called yesterday's game.

rocker
05-17-2009, 07:43 PM
why can't we bribe the refs??? come on, some of em must love to have a nice De Rosario shirt (maybe that canadian ref??) ;)

King Tut
05-18-2009, 12:36 AM
A rope! A tree! Let's hang the referee!

Give me a bullet,
Give me a gun,
I WANNA SHOOT THE OTHER ONE!

(Petrescu)