PDA

View Full Version : Grass, a few questions

Shep
05-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Does anyone have an idea of what it might cost to replace the turf with grass, ballpark figure?

If it's doable, would MLSE (or whoever is responsible) be moved by an organized effort to push for it, as in banners and petitions?

Going even further, would they be more likely to go ahead with it if supporters offered to contribute, possibly through fundraising?

If they did agree, would the supporters groups be willing to contribute some time to the cause if transparency exists and the money is dedicated strictly to the pitch?

I'm just thinking out loud, I had a hard time watching the ball hydroplaning across the grounds today. I know everyone in the MLSE and down must want grass eventually, how can we make it happen sooner than later?

Shep
05-16-2009, 05:25 PM
ahh, I just read Mojo's reply to another thread... explains alot.. curious why the city would delay.

Sorry about the thread duplicate, you can merge if you want!

Davenport
05-16-2009, 05:26 PM
Who gives a sh*t how much it costs.
Proper football should be played on a proper surface...GRASS.
End of.

Vince Whirlwind
05-16-2009, 05:32 PM
Going even further, would they be more likely to go ahead with it if supporters offered to contribute, possibly through fundraising?

Are you F'n serious?!? MLSE has cajillions of $$$ and you want people to shell out extra for something like grass? Our tax money was used to build the freakin' stadium (which no doubt will one day be sold to MLSE on the cheap a la the Skydome).

Give your money to hungry people instead and let the millionaires and politicians figure it out/ give something back to the fans who buy overpriced everything at the matches.

Shep
05-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Are you F'n serious?!? MLSE has cajillions of $$$ and you want people to shell out extra for something like grass? Our tax money was used to build the freakin' stadium (which no doubt will one day be sold to MLSE on the cheap a la the Skydome).

Give your money to hungry people instead and let the millionaires and politicians figure it out/ give something back to the fans who buy overpriced everything at the matches.

I do, don't worry about my charities.

And don't get so pissy, I was just thinking out loud, I didn't say I want people to do anything other than wanting MLSE to get on it.

What I was ASKING was how much this costs, how far people are willing to go for it, why it isn't happening..and how can we MAKE it happen.

MLSE may have $$$ but budgeting within the corporation could limit what they are able to do with TFC and BMO.

anyway, as I said, Mojo's point about it not being their decision makes this a useless thread now...

TFC USA
05-16-2009, 05:54 PM
Why are so many Canadian stadiums in general turf and not grass? This goes for the CFL too.

Davenport
05-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Why are so many Canadian stadiums in general turf and not grass? This goes for the CFL too.
The climate.

Shep
05-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Who gives a sh*t how much it costs.
Proper football should be played on a proper surface...GRASS.
End of.

The people that run the budget probably give a shit how much it costs, and I was curious so I asked. Sorry to offend.

And yes, very good point about footy being played on grass............................................ :cool:

boban
05-16-2009, 05:58 PM
The climate.
Not really.
There are lots of USA stadiums with FT in warmer climates than ours.

Vince Whirlwind
05-16-2009, 06:06 PM
I do, don't worry about my charities.

And don't get so pissy, I was just thinking out loud, I didn't say I want people to do anything other than wanting MLSE to get on it.

What I was ASKING was how much this costs, how far people are willing to go for it, why it isn't happening..and how can we MAKE it happen.

MLSE may have $$$ but budgeting within the corporation could limit what they are able to do with TFC and BMO.

anyway, as I said, Mojo's point about it not being their decision makes this a useless thread now...

Well you did mention fundraising to make it happen.

Short answer:

MLSE probably wants grass.
City says "well, let us talk about the situation for 12 months".
MLSE will not want to spend 1 dime more than the minimum it takes.
City says you will have to replace BMO with another facility.
MLSE balks at this as it will cut into returns without any financial gain to shareholders.

MLSE already seemingly has no-no'd funds for a DP or Mo is entirely incompetent at his job. One or the other.

Shelling out big $$$ for grass/replacement facility will only happen if the issue is FORCED upon them or the City decides to sell BMO for a quick cash grab (probably at a loss).

Waggy
05-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Because CFL plays until later in the year, and the field can get BAAAAAD (google the mudbowl). Turf the fairest surface, its easy to clear snow, sleet, hail, or whatever other crap the weather wants to throw out there in November in Saskatchewan. It won't get destroyed by snow removal equipment. Nor randomly frozen solid. Its also cheaper to maintain.

As for BMO specifically, there isn't one god damned reason why we don't have grass.

TFC USA
05-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Because CFL plays until later in the year, and the field can get BAAAAAD (google the mudbowl). Turf the fairest surface, its easy to clear snow, sleet, hail, or whatever other crap the weather wants to throw out there in November in Saskatchewan. It won't get destroyed by snow removal equipment. Nor randomly frozen solid. Its also cheaper to maintain.

As for BMO specifically, there isn't one god damned reason why we don't have grass.

Kansas City, Denver, Green Bay, Washington, Pittsburgh, and Chicago are just random NFL cities that also have hellish winters and have grass stadiums.

At least have natural grass with synthetic support.

mr k
05-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Climate is an issue but it can be summed up into 2 parts:logistics and cost of upkeep.

Cdn stadiums tend to be used by CFL, university football & sometimes soccer. So, grass can't accomodate all of these events over the course of a weekend. Budgets are smaller, so laying down new sod like it is done in the NFL when the field gets torn up, heated fields and other add-ons are simply luxuries for Cdn stadiums that tend to owned in part or fully by cities.

Only Edmonton seems to be willing to go the extra to keep grass. But even then, the condition of their field can be atricious at times.

prizby
05-16-2009, 06:54 PM
City of Toronto owns BMO, from what I heard there will not be any grass until 2011 at the earliest

billyfly
05-16-2009, 08:00 PM
The major hurdle is now one Mr. Joe Pantalone Deputy Mayor of Toronto. Ask him how his sister is doing.