PDA

View Full Version : We Definatly have to pressure Mo...

kdzb
05-16-2009, 05:02 PM
To get us a proven striker.

We have been patient so far but with our loss today and missing all those opportunities to score TFC should review their strikers who are under payroll and make a change.
This is the perfect time with all the Europeans leagues coming to conclusion soon we should get somebody who is a proven goal scorer.
Dero was right to be upset on his post game interview. He said we had 2 clear chances and we didn't convert and they had half a chance and they beat us.:flare:

Shep
05-16-2009, 05:10 PM

We have been patient so far but with our loss today and missing all those opportunities to score TFC should review their strikers who are under payroll and make a change.
This is the perfect time with all the Europeans leagues coming to conclusion soon we should get somebody who is a proven goal scorer.
Dero was right to be upset on his post game interview. He said we had 2 clear chances and we didn't convert and they had half a chance and they beat us.:flare:

Thought you were going to say grass... watching that ball fly all over the 'pitch' was a joke. A terrible and evil joke.

I agree with striker issue though, it's hurting.

kdzb
05-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Thought you were going to say grass... watching that ball fly all over the 'pitch' was a joke. A terrible and evil joke.

I agree with striker issue though, it's hurting.

The ball flew all over the pitch for both teams, ChitCago controled it but we didn't.

Shep
05-16-2009, 05:23 PM
The ball flew all over the pitch for both teams, ChitCago controled it but we didn't.

I agree, but the point is the ball does not move right at BMO. It handicaps everyone, and the game shoudn't be about who can cope with the shitty turf better... it kills the game.

Davenport
05-16-2009, 05:48 PM
The only pressure he feels is which club to go to tonight.
He's living such an easy life...really pulled the wool over MLSE's eyes.

Nuvinho
05-16-2009, 06:02 PM
We are getting a new striker soon....................

O'brien White!!!

boban
05-16-2009, 06:03 PM

O'brien White!!!
Who's unproven.

TFC USA
05-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Who's unproven.

:D

If MLS had a relegation system then Mo would be pressured to do more. Instead he can saunter off with his rookies year in and year out while ignoring the lack of a solid striker. I'm not talking the quality of Anelka, something as simple as a 10 goal a season kind of guy would be ideal.

Juanito
05-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I'd settle with someone who can strike the ball BETWEEN the posts and BELOW the crossbar ... consistently.

K1nG
05-16-2009, 09:36 PM
Couldn't watch the game this afternoon. Were Barretts chances tap ins?

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-16-2009, 09:39 PM
^^ No but he had some good shot's on net

BRed
05-16-2009, 10:44 PM
Playing soccer on turf is like playing hockey on ice cappuccino

Pachuco
05-16-2009, 10:46 PM
Couldn't watch the game this afternoon. Were Barretts chances tap ins?

He had a really bad miss. Header in front of the net all alone and he missed the net. No excuse not to bury that one.

Beach_Red
05-16-2009, 11:36 PM
:D

If MLS had a relegation system then Mo would be pressured to do more.

How would being relegated change things? Would people give up their season tickets and stop going to the games?

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-17-2009, 01:30 AM
There was no reason to think going into this season that we had the right mix of players at the forward position, correct me if I’m wrong, but both Barret and Vitti have never scored double digits in a season.

The team should have tried to add a proven goal scorer as well as or instead of Vitti. Grab a player who’s scoring goals in a lower league and give him a shot with the team - it’s what Vancouver and DC United have done with Marlon James and Ange N’Silu. Evidence suggests you can’t teach finishing, so why not sign someone who’s shown they have some capacity for it?

Kaz
05-17-2009, 12:31 PM
If I understand right we have an open place right now, that could be used to bring in a new striker, and we can trade a GK and bring a second. so lets send Pablo home early, and bench Barrett, trade Edwards, once we bring in two new strikers that actually have the skill to put the ball in the net.

rocker
05-17-2009, 12:35 PM
How would being relegated change things?

ya, never understood that logic, since teams DO get relegated (actually 3 are forced to be relegated) in the English league. That means that despite the threat of relegation, those teams get relegated anyways... guess the fans didn't pressure them enough ;) Of course the way people are in Toronto, they'd never give up their tickets, so there'd be no pressure.

And how come Columbus went from no playoffs to winning the cup in three seasons WITHOUT any fans pressuring them? ;)

Cristiano14
05-17-2009, 03:17 PM
ya, never understood that logic, since teams DO get relegated (actually 3 are forced to be relegated) in the English league. That means that despite the threat of relegation, those teams get relegated anyways... guess the fans didn't pressure them enough ;) Of course the way people are in Toronto, they'd never give up their tickets, so there'd be no pressure.

And how come Columbus went from no playoffs to winning the cup in three seasons WITHOUT any fans pressuring them? ;)

yeah... but then u realise that MLSE will lose a TON of money from being in a lower division- TV, Endorsements, sponsors etc. etc.-
Also many fiarweather fans will not go to the stadium, AND the product on the field will be ALOT worse due to smaller talent pool, and to a smaller extent less $$ and worse competition. And on top of all the monetary losses, they will look bad having a 2nd division soccer team AND many of the people in the teams head office will lose jobs.

SO if there was releagation, there would be ALOT of pressure to avoid it

Beach_Red
05-17-2009, 03:31 PM
SO if there was releagation, there would be ALOT of pressure to avoid it

Or, there would be no team in the first place because those risks are too much for MLSE.

VPjr
05-17-2009, 08:05 PM
I agree that we need better quality up front but, if nothing else were to change on the roster, I am convinced we would be better off in the 4-3-3 with DeRo wide left, Ibrahim (or Wynne) wide right and Vitti in the middle.

Barrett is simply not a center forward. Its like trying to make a square peg fit in a round hole.

Danny D even said that all the practice in the world generally doesn't make someone a striker. Instinct has a lot to do with it.

You might argue that Vitti has not shown enough to make that kind of move and you might be right but I saw enough on Wednesday night in the first 15 minutes of the game (before Marvell got hurt and Barrett came into the game, moving Vitti out wide) to think that such a formation just might work.

My only concern with Vitti is that he looks to be having some trouble with the physicality of MLS and the refs aren't giving him much help. However, I'd be happy to see Cummins go 2-3 games with that formation to see what comes of it.

Barrett works his ass off but Vitti has shown me that he is a hard worker too. Vitti is better with the ball at his feet, has better 1st touch and ok speed (I do wish he was a bit quicker).

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 08:07 PM
My only concern with Vitti is that he looks to be having some trouble with the physicality of MLS and the refs aren't giving him much help.

This is my worry as well. People don't realize it's a really physical league.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-17-2009, 08:12 PM

DeRo was right to be upset? remind me how many he scored against Chicago? Mo gave into the opressure to sign this Leader? And he is not
worth it,,,if we wants grass bad enough trade him to a team with grass
so we can move on and build a club..we are a 3 year club still growing,
some fans expected way too much...let wait till the 5 year before expecting the moon.

Shakes McQueen
05-17-2009, 08:22 PM
DeRo was right to be upset? remind me how many he scored against Chicago? Mo gave into the opressure to sign this Leader? And he is not
worth it,,,if we wants grass bad enough trade him to a team with grass
so we can move on and build a club..we are a 3 year club still growing,
some fans expected way too much...let wait till the 5 year before expecting the moon.

Again with this? De Rosario is a midifielder, not a striker. His primary responsibility is to be a playmaker, not a finisher.

- Scott

Shakes McQueen
05-17-2009, 08:25 PM

Yeah, you can officially consider me on the bandwagon calling for a DP striker.

- Scott

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Again with this? De Rosario is a midifielder, not a striker. His primary responsibility is to be a playmaker, not a finisher.

- Scott

ok as a playmaker he sucks hows that..we had little to no playmaking at all against Chicago....But to be fair to DeRo this one time the whole team sucked...Frei was the only player you cant say did anything wrong.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Yeah, you can officially consider me on the bandwagon calling for a DP striker.

- Scott

Ok we get a DP striker for the sake of argument, and the team still struggles to score goals and misses the playoffs...then what? The DP
solution has been a failure in LA, so-so in Chicago, and decent success
in NY..yet the latter two cant put fannies their their how grounds. We dont need a DP just 1 quality striker 1 creatitve midfielder and i solid defender and we will be fine..but who says the dp should be a striker,,
why not a defender as we are leaky back their, that should be our priority
if a DP is to be brought in.

Kaz
05-17-2009, 08:39 PM
ok as a playmaker he sucks hows that..we had little to no playmaking at all against Chicago....But to be fair to DeRo this one time the whole team sucked...Frei was the only player you cant say did anything wrong.

Ok first DeRo was being covered and played physically, he wasn't given a chance to make any plays.

Second did you see the first goal that Chicago scored? That was a mistake on Frei's part.

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't even try reasoning with him VP...he's got a hard on for DeRo that is inexplicable.

tfctoffee
05-17-2009, 08:51 PM

You can't seriously believe that dero sucks? He's been our best player since coming back from injury, yes he had a poor game, as did everyone else but you can't expect him to perform every single game, that's unreasonable.

Shakes McQueen
05-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Don't even try reasoning with him VP...he's got a hard on for DeRo that is inexplicable.

I think you mean mighty, not VP :D

- Scott

GuelphStorm2007
05-18-2009, 12:19 AM

O'brien White!!!

I did not know he was ready to Play !

Yohan
05-18-2009, 02:15 PM
In order of priority, I see this as list of players that TFC should sign

1. A striker who can finish
-Kinda no genius, but a striker who has the killer instinct to put the goal in the net is a must. We get one of these, TFC is for sure in the playoffs.

2. A target man striker
-Dichio is going to retire probably next year. Using a target man striker has been key to TFC offence for many years. And there aren't many MLS defenders who can handle a strong striker who is good in the air.

3. Centerback
-If Velez keeps playing like he is right now, that is to say, adequate without being flashy, TFC should make the playoffs. However, a little more depth would be nice, since Attakora is filling in as depth for both RB and CB right now.
If TFC can find a commanding centerback who can control the backline, that is a bonus.

4. Winger
-Both Smith and Ricketts haven't shown anything so far this season. TFC is not going to play 4-3-3 forever. Natural wingers therefore should be acquired, to provide depth and additional dimension to TFC attack.

5. Leftback
-Because there is no natural cover at LB. If Brennan gets injured, no one really available to cover that position. Only defender who has shown a bit of ease at playing at LB is Serioux and it's a waste playing him at LB when he is most useful at CB for TFC

TFC07
05-18-2009, 03:14 PM
I have been saying this since day one. Mo needs to be pressured! Seriously, I can't believe Mo still has a job. He is lucky that MLSE don't know jack when comes to soccer.

BTW, Mo is MLS version of Isiah Thomas. He is only good at drafting players.

boban
05-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I have been saying this since day one. Mo needs to be pressured! Seriously, I can't believe Mo still has a job. He is lucky that MLSE don't know jack when comes to soccer.

BTW, Mo is MLS version of Isiah Thomas. He is only good at drafting players.
As opposed to knowing something in the other sports they own teams in?

ensco
05-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Mo has committed a lot of his resources to the striker problem over the last 12 months. $500K for Vitti and Barrett, drafting OBW...

I'd be shocked if he'd spend more at that position now. He wants his guys to get the kinks out. I'll bet he blames Carver for the fact that they're not showing confidence (for sure in Vitti's case, anyway)

Carts
05-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Mo has committed a lot of his resources to the striker problem over the last 12 months. $500K for Vitti and Barrett, drafting OBW...

I'd be shocked if he'd spend more at that position now. He wants his guys to get the kinks out. I'll bet he blames Carver for the fact that they're not showing confidence (for sure in Vitti's case, anyway)

I know its completely out of Mo's hands - but after hearing Dero's comments after the game Saturday, we need GRASS and we need it now or we're going to lose the players we have now, let alone bringing in a proven striker...

Carts...

TFC07
05-18-2009, 06:47 PM
As opposed to knowing something in the other sports they own teams in?

I am sure MLSE know hockey and basketball far more than soccer.

Soccer is totally foreign sport for them.

TFC07
05-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Well he has to!!!! Our current strikers aren't doing their job.

amistry
05-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Barrett made my one year old nephew cry, with his performance.:flare:

AL-MO
05-18-2009, 07:08 PM
How do you suggest we 'pressure' him?

CretanBull
05-18-2009, 07:10 PM

1. A striker who can finish
-Kinda no genius, but a striker who has the killer instinct to put the goal in the net is a must. We get one of these, TFC is for sure in the playoffs.

2. A target man striker
-Dichio is going to retire probably next year. Using a target man striker has been key to TFC offence for many years. And there aren't many MLS defenders who can handle a strong striker who is good in the air.

3. Centerback
-If Velez keeps playing like he is right now, that is to say, adequate without being flashy, TFC should make the playoffs. However, a little more depth would be nice, since Attakora is filling in as depth for both RB and CB right now.
If TFC can find a commanding centerback who can control the backline, that is a bonus.

4. Winger
-Both Smith and Ricketts haven't shown anything so far this season. TFC is not going to play 4-3-3 forever. Natural wingers therefore should be acquired, to provide depth and additional dimension to TFC attack.

5. Leftback
-Because there is no natural cover at LB. If Brennan gets injured, no one really available to cover that position. Only defender who has shown a bit of ease at playing at LB is Serioux and it's a waste playing him at LB when he is most useful at CB for TFC

That pretty much sums it up perfectly, although if we aquire #1, I think Chad Barrett can become #2 (with less pressure on him to score, and more time for him to develope).

Carts
05-18-2009, 07:14 PM
Barrett made my one year old nephew cry, with his performance.:flare:

Your nephew cries over hard work...??? Sucks for him, gonna be a hard life...

Crying over missed chances, thats like crying over spilt milk, nothing will be gained, no need to, no use in doing so - only thing to do is move on (or fix the problem)...

Carts...

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
You can't seriously believe that dero sucks? He's been our best player since coming back from injury, yes he had a poor game, as did everyone else but you can't expect him to perform every single game, that's unreasonable.

Frei has been the best player..ok he made a lack in judegment on the first CHI goal, but it were not for him we would be dead last in the east.
how do you explain when DeRo was out we went 2-0-0? Im not expexting a 15-20 goal season from DeRo, thats unrealistic...but maybe 10-12??

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Mo just might be struggling to get players to come and play in Toronto, good one anyways. O Brien didnt want to play here,and a few others as well...you cant make players come to Toronto. The jays and Raptors cant get real good players to come here, so TFC is finding that out as well. Mo deserves more time and more good drafting.

H Bomb
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
You know both the Jays and Raptors have one of the best players in both of their sports dont you....Like we do in Dero....actually a better question would be are you intentionally thick, or is it natural

TFC USA
05-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Frei has been the best player..ok he made a lack in judegment on the first CHI goal, but it were not for him we would be dead last in the east.
how do you explain when DeRo was out we went 2-0-0? Im not expexting a 15-20 goal season from DeRo, thats unrealistic...but maybe 10-12??

That's one hell of a sample size using 2 wins to justify saying DeRo not playing was addition by subtraction. DeRo has 3 goals right now in 10 games. There are 30 games in a season. He's on pace for 9 goals, which is close enough to your 10-12 goal per season range.

kdzb
05-18-2009, 10:27 PM
How do you suggest we 'pressure' him?

By chanting " Mo Give us a proven striker right now" for 90 minutes at all our home games.
By booing Chad Barett + Pablo Vitti everytime they miss a sitter.
By flooding with emails requesting something to be done about our striker situation all TFC's contacts + Sportswriters + sports sites that talk about TFC .
That's how we make pressure on MO.
Remember, no matter how good MLSE thinks MO is, if the fans are not happy, they will sacrifice him instead of keeping us unhappy. (they need us to make profits):scarf:

Yohan
05-18-2009, 10:41 PM
By booing Chad Barett + Pablo Vitti everytime they miss a sitter.

I will never boo one of our players during the game

save your criticism for after the game

Red CB Toronto
05-18-2009, 11:52 PM
I am pretty new to the footy world, as TFC is what got me really interested, the notion of signing a striker from say a lower division league in Europe and Asia intrigues me because they know what it takes and have the instinct to put the ball in the net. Signing a guy who has had a couple 20 goal seasons in Iceland, third division Switzerland, Asia etc. could be something interesting. My question is what type of falloff do you typically see from a lower division striker who attempts to move up, what are the most common flaws that come to light?

Yohan
05-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I am pretty new to the footy world, as TFC is what got me really interested, the notion of signing a striker from say a lower division league in Europe and Asia intrigues me because they know what it takes and have the instinct to put the ball in the net. Signing a guy who has had a couple 20 goal seasons in Iceland, third division Switzerland, Asia etc. could be something interesting. My question is what type of falloff do you typically see from a lower division striker who attempts to move up, what are the most common flaws that come to light?
being able to finish when pressured by defenders that know what they are doing

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-19-2009, 12:31 AM

2. A target man striker

would this guy fit the bill!:hump:

Kenny Cooper (24)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Kenny_Cooper.jpg/200px-Kenny_Cooper.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kenny_Cooper.jpg)

as a part of the package i'll start by throwing in BARRETT and RICKETTS!

Stryker
05-19-2009, 01:21 AM
Steps I'd take to improve the team:

1) Trade Ricketts, Harmse and Sutts for allocation.
2) Use the allocation to obtain a decent CB to replace Velez
3) Waive Vitti and get a DP striker

Shakes McQueen
05-19-2009, 06:40 AM
how do you explain when DeRo was out we went 2-0-0?

It was TWO GAMES! TWO!

That's like saying you have definitive evidence that smoking doesn't cause cancer, because you knew this one guy who smoked, and died of natural causes.

The fact that we won a couple of games without DeRo is a statement on the ability of the team to win without him, not on his quality as a player. When Manchester United win without Ronaldo in the lineup, does that mean Ronaldo is a bad player?

We've also won with DeRo in the lineup. What does that mean?

Im not expexting a 15-20 goal season from DeRo, thats unrealistic...but maybe 10-12??

DeRo is on pace to get 9-10 goals this season (and more, if we make the playoffs), which is great for a MIDFIELDER. Again... what are you criticizing him for?

- Scott

Oldtimer
05-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Steps I'd take to improve the team:

1) Trade Ricketts, Harmse and Sutts for allocation.
2) Use the allocation to obtain a decent CB to replace Velez
3) Waive Vitti and get a DP striker

You don't need to waive Vitti, he's on loan. You can dump him any time.
Finding a DP striker who wants to play in Toronto at MLS wages is the real challenge. Blancos aren't available all that often.

Yohan
05-19-2009, 10:20 AM
would this guy fit the bill!:hump:

Kenny Cooper (24)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/aa/Kenny_Cooper.jpg/200px-Kenny_Cooper.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kenny_Cooper.jpg)

as a part of the package i'll start by throwing in BARRETT and RICKETTS!
As stupid as this sounds, if Mo can convince Kenny Cooper to sign for TFC (and he sure isn't going to resign with Dallas AFAIK), this trade might be worth pursuing.

Issue is the massive salaries Barrett and Ricketts are making ATM. If Dallas can clear some salary, throw in a first round pick and I think we might have ourselves a DP...

Yes, I think Kenny Cooper is worth DP money. Why? Name me 15 goal per year strikers in MLS (I'll give you a hint. Two of them are making DP money right now)

Stryker
05-19-2009, 10:29 AM
^ I don't think we'd ever get Coop to play here. Firstly because he realizes he's young and has talent and our turf could put a large dent into the longevity of his career. Secondly because he strikes me as abit of a sunshine boy.

On another note:

The dead wood duel of Ricketts and Harmse eat up almost a quarter million between them.
Chad Barrett is on a fresh 4 year deal worth 202 000 a year.
Nice work Mo.

Boudge
05-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Chad Can'tburyit definately needs to sit down. I am not saying that boy doesn't put fourth a full effort, he is just not that good.

I like the though of having Kenny Cooper on our team.

Yohan
05-19-2009, 11:46 AM
^ I don't think we'd ever get Coop to play here. Firstly because he realizes he's young and has talent and our turf could put a large dent into the longevity of his career. Secondly because he strikes me as abit of a sunshine boy.
I don't think so either. However, he was considering staying in Dallas, if offered DP money.

On another note:

The dead wood duel of Ricketts and Harmse eat up almost a quarter million between them.
Chad Barrett is on a fresh 4 year deal worth 202 000 a year.
Nice work Mo.
After CCC, did you think Ricketts would have such a terrible year as he is having right now?

Harmse serves as that utility player that Pozniak used to be. You need one of those players in your squad, because MLS don't provide for much squad depth

Barrett got what, 4 goals in 9 games after he got traded from Chicago. Based upon that, you don't think Barrett deserve a raise after that performance?

hindsight is 20/20