PDA

View Full Version : Conor Casey – Did “we” jump the gun by trading him away in ‘07?

Blazer
05-15-2009, 07:18 PM
Don’t look now but Conor Casey sits near the top of the leader board with his imposing 4 goals in 7 games to kick off the '09 campaign. After a trade that saw him shipped off to Colorado in exchange for Riley O’Neill and a bunch of cash, I’m left playing the hindsight 20/20 game that we like to play around here.

And, while we struggle to find the offensive production button on this team of ours, Casey has discovered that the grass is not only greener for him in Colorado, but it’s as real as his play of late too.

That is all. Discuss if you'd like.

shwade
05-15-2009, 07:21 PM
Didn't he demand a trade because of his wife?

Cambridge_Red
05-15-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah this was a bad trade, as was the Serioux full circle debacle..

Mikey
05-15-2009, 07:28 PM
LOL at second guessing a trade from 07 because a player is coming into form TWO YEARS LATER!
:p

edmundo
05-15-2009, 07:36 PM
one word.......... no!

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-15-2009, 07:42 PM
Didn't he demand a trade because of his wife?

he didnt want to play here...players like that you ship out...:scarf:

FluSH
05-15-2009, 07:42 PM
I always like his work ethic... and I know others who did as well... I always viewed him as a tough player...

ensco
05-15-2009, 08:00 PM
It was the gretaest thing that ever happened to TFC.

If you don't know why, then you don't know who was brought in to replace him.

shaggingscot
05-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Don’t look now but Conor Casey sits near the top of the leader board with his imposing 4 goals in 7 games to kick off the '09 campaign. After a trade that saw him shipped off to Colorado in exchange for Riley O’Neill and a bunch of cash, I’m left playing the hindsight 20/20 game that we like to play around here.

And, while we struggle to find the offensive production button on this team of ours, Casey has discovered that the grass is not only greener for him in Colorado, but it’s as real as his play of late too.

That is all. Discuss if you'd like.

Scoring goals is not the problem......

http://web.mlsnet.com/stats/index.jsp?club=mls&year=2009

We're 4th in the league in goals scored but we've let too many in. We still need more depth in the back 4.

Detroit_TFC
05-15-2009, 08:38 PM
The way I remember it, Casey demanded a trade.

deeznutz
05-15-2009, 08:56 PM
close thread.

EAsoccer
05-15-2009, 10:58 PM
Casey has 4 goals, a hat-trick in 1 game. He's not cracking 10+ goals this year. Now close thread.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
cant say so, it took how many years for him to be performing like this, granted he is killing it even then thats not to say he would be doing the same here

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2009, 11:04 PM
also as pointed out he demanded a trade

Cashcleaner
05-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Casey wanted out of Toronto and regardless of how he's doing now, you don't hold on to a guy that doesn't want to be part of the team. I can't remember the exact details of the transaction, but I think we're better off with our current roster.

rocker
05-16-2009, 01:19 AM
didn't Mo get him on one of those "returning Americans" rules, snatching him ahead of some other MLS teams??? i saw it at the time as a move just to take someone other teams wanted for a quick turnaround trade.

Blazer
05-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Cash, are you talking about O’Neill who we got in return (and still own rights to) and is playing in Germany?

Nutz and EAsports>> If you don’t have anything nice to contribute then don’t come shit on someone else’s parade. You’re entitled to your opinions like anyone else – but when’s the last time anyone cared what either of you had to talk about, honestly?!

How 'bout "close mouths"?!

koryo
05-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Conor Casey didn't want to play here Blazer. I know you're desperate for us to get someone who can finish, but... :)

Blazer
05-16-2009, 08:31 AM
“Desperate” is an exaggeration. Actually, I quite like our roster and happen to think that Barrett and company will get better - and are getting better, as the season matures.

ensco
05-16-2009, 09:31 AM
The Toronto FC housecleaning continued Friday as the Major League Soccer expansion franchise traded forward Conor Casey to the Colorado Rapids. In exchange, Toronto receives a third-round draft pick in the 2008 draft, an allocation spot and the rights to striker Riley O'Neill of Campbell River, B.C.
Casey joined Toronto in March from German club FSV Mainz. The club used their top allocation to secure the American — a spot they acquired during the expansion draft last November.

"We're sorry to see him go, but adding three [new players] to lose two, it made sense on our part," said Toronto head coach Mo Johnston. Friday's deal comes in the aftermath of a whirlwind of activity earlier in the week. Toronto bolstered its defence by making two separate trades on Wednesday with the New York Red Bulls and Houston Dynamo. In exchange for Marvell Wynne, the son of the former major-league baseball player with the same name, New York received Toronto's second-round selection in next year's MLS draft and partial allocation money.

Toronto received Kevin Goldthwaite and a first-round pick in the 2008 MLS draft in the Houston deal for midfielder Richard Mulrooney, who left the Canadian club after just two games — the team acquired the Memphis native last month in a trade with FC Dallas. Toronto also added another striker Tuesday when it signed Danny Dichio from English club Preston North End.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2007/04/20/casey-conor.html?ref=rss

koryo
05-16-2009, 09:31 AM
“Desperate” is an exaggeration. Actually, I quite like our roster and happen to think that Barrett and company will get better - and are getting better, as the season matures.

Of course it's an exaggeration. Just having a bit of fun with the thread.

Cashcleaner
05-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Cash, are you talking about O’Neill who we got in return (and still own rights to) and is playing in Germany?

Yeah, that's right. We got some allocation money with Riley O'Neill as well. Can't recall the exact amount, though.

Blazer
05-16-2009, 09:59 AM
^ Probably an insignificant amount of cash once MLS took their presumable share. I haven't been able to find any stats on O'Neill because my German isn't up to snuff.

Dozitwin
05-16-2009, 10:02 AM
LOL at second guessing a trade from 07 because a player is coming into form TWO YEARS LATER!
:p

Didn't getting rid of Casey esentially free up space for Dichio? Are we going to question that move as well?

EAsoccer
05-16-2009, 10:47 AM

Nutz and EAsports>> If you don’t have anything nice to contribute then don’t come shit on someone else’s parade. You’re entitled to your opinions like anyone else – but when’s the last time anyone cared what either of you had to talk about, honestly?!

How 'bout "close mouths"?!

Way to greet a new poster.

Dude, calm down! Like you said Im entitled to my opinion, not trying shit on someone's parade/thread! I thought this thread was going to get closed and wanted my opinion in before it actually closed.

Are you a moderator to determine what is a nice contribution or not? As far as anyone caring what I have to talk about I registered just days ago, so stop thinking highly of yourself.

Pachuco
05-16-2009, 10:52 AM
That's probably all the goals he'll score all season. He's terrible. Stats don't mean shit to me. All I know is everytime I see him touch the ball he reminds me of Adam Braz up front.

koryo
05-16-2009, 11:04 AM
How about we stop taking the hypothetical seriously and focus on the matter-at-hand:

Battering Chicago.

That is all.

Don Julio
05-16-2009, 11:47 AM
He was never ours. It was basically a McBride situation. I think Casey came to MLS specifically to go to Denver, then Mo got cheeky and snatched him away. Between the league and Casey they forced a trade.

Bobo
05-16-2009, 12:35 PM
It was the gretaest thing that ever happened to TFC.

If you don't know why, then you don't know who was brought in to replace him.

Amen

How about we stop taking the hypothetical seriously and focus on the matter-at-hand:

Battering Chicago.

That is all.

You're right, we on the board need to give it our all if the team is going to be successful in Chicago.

ag futbol
05-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Casey has a goal today for the rapids early as they lead New England (who i personally think are hugely over-rated this year).

Casey has 4 goals, a hat-trick in 1 game. He's not cracking 10+ goals this year. Now close thread.
Well he did score 11 last year... so i don't quite follow that logic.

Anyway, I'd say Casey isn't the the "top" of the MLS strike class but he is the second tier. Similar to Edson Buddle.

At this point, i'm not really sure if this one is worth questioning. I'm not a Mo Johnston defender but at that time you had a guy who was recovering / semi-injured who never really had a great track record in MLS for scoring goals. Seems pretty logical to move him at the time.

EAsoccer
05-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Casey has a goal today for the rapids early as they lead New England (who i personally think are hugely over-rated this year).

Well he did score 11 last year... so i don't quite follow that logic.

Anyway, I'd say Casey isn't the the "top" of the MLS strike class but he is the second tier. Similar to Edson Buddle.

At this point, i'm not really sure if this one is worth questioning. I'm not a Mo Johnston defender but at that time you had a guy who was recovering / semi-injured who never really had a great track record in MLS for scoring goals. Seems pretty logical to move him at the time.

Logic?I made a prediction! He's off to a great start with 5 now, but he had 11 goals last year & a few hat-tricks I believe 3. I could be wrong I'd have to check. Either way he beats up on weak teams on their bad days, against strong teams he doesnt show, and neither do the Rapids.

Gomez is gone to DC, Cummings who may get a call up or two from Jamaica & Clark are the only guys that can help him because Casey is a striker that needs service, if any these guys slump or worse get injured, Casey's not reaching 11 like 2008. Simple!