PDA

View Full Version : Tebily

Nomad
06-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Why was he substituted in the 18th minute? Was he injured?

werewolf
06-01-2008, 12:59 AM
injury

Broadview
06-01-2008, 01:01 AM
Lower right leg. So said the teevee so it has to be true :)

Blizzard
06-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Lower right leg. So said the teevee so it has to be true :)

That's what they were working on at the bench. I was thinking calf as I watched.

stugautz
06-01-2008, 01:17 AM
It's ok, James more than earned his spot on the starting lineup! I wish we had the depth at striker that we do at defense

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 01:20 AM
stugautz - James wasn't that good. Tebily's 2 appearances have shown him to be an impressively confident and steady central defender. James scored a goal, yes, but he was weak at the back. He did his job, but let's not go overboard by saying he's ready to jump into the starting lineup.

Cashcleaner
06-01-2008, 02:22 AM
^ I thought I was gonna be the only guy thinking that! He looked pretty comfortable in the attack, but a bit slow and hesitant when things were going the other way around.

Draracle
06-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Tebily is better than James. In fact, I would say Velez and Marshall are too. Not that James in poor, but he is still a rookie. I hope he gets enough play over the next few games to adjust the MLS. Perhaps with a few games under his belt he will improve. But I don't see him cracking the starting line-up.

Rawkus_420
06-01-2008, 09:26 AM
Tebily is way better than james. i dont care if he scored...>Most of James passes were terrible. Hed go to one touch it the next guy and the ball would always go up in the air.

Detroit_TFC
06-01-2008, 11:23 AM
Wow, so this is what is like to have depth on the bench....

jloome
06-01-2008, 11:30 AM
Slow? Are you mental? He tracked back on the ball several times and looked plenty fast to me. And he covered his spot pretty well, didn't let anything major past him.

Distribution was less of an issue than I thought. He hoofed a couple, sure, but he also slotted a nice pass up the middle and even came into the offense a couple of times.

He's not ready to replace Tebily and Velez, maybe ahead of Marshall, although that's just a speed bias on my part, as he's been positionally very solid.

Tough to say all around who the best defender is (maybe Jimmy Brennan, who is amazingly consistent).

kdzb
06-01-2008, 11:42 AM
It's insane to compare Tebily to James.
James has an advantage only in one area = AGE.
The rest is:
Tebily = 3 seasons at Celtic + 6 seasons at Birmingham = that's high end football.
James = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_James You do the math.

zeelaw
06-01-2008, 11:47 AM
I hope he's alright

Ron Manager
06-01-2008, 05:35 PM
Actually, it would be nice to let James play with Tebily as much as possible (like th reserve games) The opportunity for James to learn from a man as experienced as Tebily is huge.

TFC-4-Life
06-01-2008, 06:05 PM
I think that the depth that we have in the back will prove to be very important as the season goes on.

devioustrevor
06-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Definitely shouldn't jump the gun on James right now I agree. Yesterday's game isn't quite indicative as our backline wasn't really tested.

James Oliphant
06-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Slow? Are you mental? He tracked back on the ball several times and looked plenty fast to me. And he covered his spot pretty well, didn't let anything major past him.

He's not talking speed...he's talking decision-making. I caught him out of position a couple times in the first half due to rookie decisions, and thankfully Velez covered for him well.

profit89
06-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Tebily has caps with Ivory Coast. That's not accomplished for just fun.

trane
06-01-2008, 10:36 PM
I like the fact that we have James he is our CB of the future, but right now I Tebily starts over James. What I like is that we have seven backs I am happy with, a great improvement from last year ( Brennan, Velez, Marshall, Wynn, Tebily, James and Dunivant- severl of them can play mid as well) Our depth was really imporved .

Fort York Redcoat
06-02-2008, 09:44 AM
Yep Tebily till hurt and James is a competant back with a great future. They may have to share the role this week...

Laurignano
06-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Tebily deserves to start IMO over james. I know James scored and he played solid but still. I would love to see Tebily in a holding midfield position though.

giambac
06-02-2008, 01:07 PM
stugautz - James wasn't that good. Tebily's 2 appearances have shown him to be an impressively confident and steady central defender. James scored a goal, yes, but he was weak at the back. He did his job, but let's not go overboard by saying he's ready to jump into the starting lineup.

Agreed,

If Teleiby is injured for a prolonged time it will be difficult to replace him.

JJ did an okay job, but I think he was helped with the fact LA didn't have Donovan in the lineup.

ExiledRed
06-02-2008, 01:10 PM
Actually, it would be nice to let James play with Tebily as much as possible (like th reserve games) The opportunity for James to learn from a man as experienced as Tebily is huge.

This is the basic truth, James can only improve with the mentoring of someone with Tebily's experience. James is the future, Tebily and Marshall are the present.