PDA

View Full Version : Why you SHOULD put TFC teams on your All Star Ballot

Calvin
05-15-2009, 03:44 PM
First off, I have no idea how much influence those ballots have over who ends up on the pitch, but I have seen a whole bunch of stupid comments like "Vote for other teams in the east's players, so they get injured", "dont vote for our guys, so they dont get tired".

It is very clear that is in our best interest to have TFC players on that team and here is why:

A high proportion of our team will be at some point transferred or traded. The value of the players is determined by two main bodies. 1) The organization, this group is the less likely of the two to be fooled by factors like, whether or not the player was an all star, but nonetheless all star status would increase the players value a substantial amount. This first body is heavily influenced by the second body, the fans. The fans want all stars, they place high value on them, whether or not that makes sense. Especially with three expansion teams, and their comparatively MLS ignorant fan bases, the notion of getting all starts is especially appealing. So yes, if we trade cronin to Phili next year (God forbid), and he is an all star we will get far more money and thus more to spend on a high quality player to replace him.

Not to mention the confidence the players get and profile our league gets.

shawn6597
05-15-2009, 03:47 PM
with this same train of thought though players would also become more expensive to re-up (using allstar status as a bargaining tool).

Calvin
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Our management is more likely too be able to see through that than say "the sons of ben". We have seen them not be all stars all year, and the sons of ben just know they are all stars.

ExiledRed
05-15-2009, 03:55 PM
Nonsense.

The all star game is a throwback from other north american sports and is absolutely fucking meaningless. Playing for your national team is what gives a player extra value. Funnily enough, we would be able to coordinate better with the international schedule were it not for this ridiculous pageant.

Voting players into it is validating it.

nascarguy
05-15-2009, 04:46 PM
I do not care I'm not voting for any tfc player's I will vote for ex tfc player's

http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/imgs/events/all_star/2008/ballot/txt_gk.gif

Kasey Keller
http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/imgs/events/all_star/2008/ballot/txt_d.gif

Jimmy Conrad
Todd Dunivant ex tfc player
Frankie Hejduk
http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/imgs/events/all_star/2008/ballot/txt_m.gif

Guillermo Barros Schelotto
Cuauhtemoc Blanco
Darren Huckerby ex tfc player
Freddie Ljungberg
Dave van den Bergh

http://web.mlsnet.com/mls/imgs/events/all_star/2008/ballot/txt_f.gif

Juan Pablo Angel
Brian McBride ex tfc player

prizby
05-15-2009, 05:05 PM
McBride was never a tfc player ;)

just tfc rights

ilikemusic
05-15-2009, 05:12 PM
I will vote for the players I would most like to see get injured.

:flare:

Shakes McQueen
05-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Apparently I missed the season that Huckerby played for us.

- Scott

Jeffro
05-15-2009, 06:17 PM
How is this news??

Calvin
05-15-2009, 06:20 PM
sure the all star game is meaningless. nonetheless that sentiment is not shared, value is assigned to all stars. the more our players appear to be worth to other teams and fans the better. DONE DEAL.

koryo
05-16-2009, 08:16 AM
sure the all star game is meaningless. nonetheless that sentiment is not shared, value is assigned to all stars. the more our players appear to be worth to other teams and fans the better. DONE DEAL.

Sorry, not buying it.

yellowfellow
05-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't care about the all-stars game. I dont mind players playing for their country.

To me, all-stars game is only fun for basketball and baseball (maybe). Definitely not soccer, football, and hockey.

DOMIN8R
05-20-2009, 12:47 PM
Goalkeeper Keller takes the overall lead among players

Seattle Sounders FC fans, your vote is being heard loud and clear.

One week into the balloting and it's all about Sounders FC. Goalkeeper Kasey Keller is the overwhelming leader in fan voting for the 2009 MLS All-Star Game. The former United States national team goalkeeper has a league-best 0.41 goals against average and has four clean sheets in eight appearances.

But it doesn't stop there.
Seattle players Freddie Ljungberg, Fredy Montero, Osvaldo Alonso, Tyrone Marshall, Steve Zakuani and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado have accumulated the next highest total in the first week of fan voting.

More here: http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090520&content_id=4833158&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Cashcleaner
05-20-2009, 12:58 PM
How about this for a reason: Pride.

Just throwin' it out there.

ExiledRed
05-20-2009, 01:07 PM
How about this for a reason: Pride.

Just throwin' it out there.

Pride?

We suck but were proud we got somebody in the all star lineup?

Pride's for when we win something meaningful.

Jeez, let Seattle throw their best players at Everton. Those dirty blue bastards'll kick the shit out of them and send them home sore.

brad
05-20-2009, 01:15 PM
Goalkeeper Keller takes the overall lead among players

Seattle Sounders FC fans, your vote is being heard loud and clear.

One week into the balloting and it's all about Sounders FC. Goalkeeper Kasey Keller is the overwhelming leader in fan voting for the 2009 MLS All-Star Game. The former United States national team goalkeeper has a league-best 0.41 goals against average and has four clean sheets in eight appearances.

But it doesn't stop there.
Seattle players Freddie Ljungberg, Fredy Montero, Osvaldo Alonso, Tyrone Marshall, Steve Zakuani and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado have accumulated the next highest total in the first week of fan voting.

More here: http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090520&content_id=4833158&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Sounds like someone has taken over poll fixing from us.

rocker
05-20-2009, 02:57 PM
the balloting is only worth 25% of the total all star vote... so it means very little.

Cashcleaner
05-21-2009, 12:36 AM
Pride?

We suck but were proud we got somebody in the all star lineup?

Pride's for when we win something meaningful.

Jeez, let Seattle throw their best players at Everton. Those dirty blue bastards'll kick the shit out of them and send them home sore.

But look at it from a player's perspective. Wouldn't you rather have your fans showing their support and confidence in you rather than refusing to vote because they don't personally like the competition itself?

Man, if I were a TFC player I think I'd be kinda let down if I didn't receive any votes because of a protest.

nascarguy
05-21-2009, 06:44 AM
the balloting is only worth 25% of the total all star vote... so it means very little.
yeah i know this game means nothing to me I'm not even going to be watching this game anyway.

Fort York Redcoat
05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
I'll watch the game for the quality of play and a get together but I agree with the sentiment this game is superfluous. I don't need the game to tell me who the talented/popular players are in the league and I think it's sad we need to constantly prove our leagues worth by playing the reserve side of a well known team. I'll vote to play MLS games that day and free up another international date thank you very much.