PDA

View Full Version : Corner Kicks And Streamers

prizby
05-15-2009, 01:45 PM
So I was fooling around on YouTube today watching TFC clips...watching how Claudio Lopez and Blanco got absolutely peppered by streamers back in the first year...my question is, what happened to that? Is BMO Field enforcing a rule, less throwing of the stuff...everytime I watch a game on TV, and its a corner, I always looks for the streamers...it was so exciting to watch on TV

so yeah, what happened, it just seems there are less and less nowadays?

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Many think they are passe.

I do not.

prizby
05-15-2009, 01:48 PM

I do not.

no longer fashionable???

thats ludacris, all the people I would watch games with at school absolutely love it, its entertaining to see, I can only imagine what it is like to be part of

why would they stop?

AL-MO
05-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Yes there is a rule against it(not that it is ever enforced), but I think its more that it was a fad.

That was a first year thing. Its tired and old.

We have to find something else to do.

werewolf
05-15-2009, 01:51 PM

I do not.

I concur.

mclaren
05-15-2009, 01:51 PM
no longer fashionable???

thats ludacris, all the people I would watch games with at school absolutely love it, its entertaining to see, I can only imagine what it is like to be part of

why would they stop?

the league signalled they would not tolerate this - there are signs outside of BMO telling fans that interfering with play by throwing streamers at players is not allowed.

Dave67
05-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Trying not to disrupt the game. Throwing after the anthems or after a goal would still be great. Disrupting the game? I think people realised we were lucky to get away with it as long as we did.

prizby
05-15-2009, 01:53 PM
Yes there is a rule against it(not that it is ever enforced), but I think its more that it was a fad.

That was a first year thing. Its tired and old.

We have to find something else to do.

how has it become a fad, how can it be a fad when it made a difference in the performance of their corners, think about it, do you think Blanco is thinking about getting his corners into the right spot or getting the streamers out of his way, you get his head out of the game, he isn't going to perform, your the 12th man, I haven't seen anything that is anywhere near an equivalent

dantdot
05-15-2009, 01:53 PM
So 2007...:)

fetajr
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
streamers are sick and it was something that spontaneously took flight at bmo. But Rule after Rule, BMO Field and MLSE are slowly taking away the spontanous elements that add to the electric atmosphere that has made TFC the best live sporting event in the city.

one game last year, i walked in with a bag full of streamers, the ticket taker looked at my ticket and saw that I wasn't in the supporter section, so I had to check my bag in the coat check area... stupid rules like that kill it

prizby
05-15-2009, 01:54 PM
the league signalled they would not tolerate this - there are signs outside of BMO telling fans that interfering with play by throwing streamers at players is not allowed.

they signalled, but didn't do anything, they never

would the streamers come out somemore if it was playoff/concacaf football?

Oldtimer
05-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Streamers are so 2007.

I brought them every match in late 2007 and early 2008.
Can't be bothered any more.

dantdot
05-15-2009, 01:56 PM
how has it become a fad, how can it be a fad when it made a difference in the performance of their corners, think about it, do you think Blanco is thinking about getting his corners into the right spot or getting the streamers out of his way, you get his head out of the game, he isn't going to perform, your the 12th man, I haven't seen anything that is anywhere near an equivalent

I remember goals coming off people covered in streamers, made no difference.

werewolf
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
I remember goals coming off people covered in streamers, made no difference.

It never happened in our corner when the players were covered like Blanco. I can remember twice that goals were scored, but it was after some people declared it passe, so the effort was rather half-assed.

prizby
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
It never happened in our corner when the players were covered like Blanco. I can remember twice that goals were scored, but it was after some people declared it passe, so the effort was rather half-assed.

Do you see more streamers if TFC are in champions league or make the playoffs?

Dave67
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM

I think in the beginning it seemed refs were just waiving players on to take the kick. Wed against Montreal the ref stopped at least 3 Montreal throw ins when he saw streamers coming. I don't think we would get away with it like we used to.

werewolf
05-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Do you see more streamers if TFC are in champions league or make the playoffs?

I would hope more at least in jubilation.

I think in the beginning it seemed refs were just waiving players on to take the kick. Wed against Montreal the ref stopped at least 3 Montreal throw ins when he saw streamers coming. I don't think we would get away with it like we used to.

Yea, I just didn't think we would take it so voluntarily. The league says no more, a few people force their point of how they don't like them anymore, and the usage slowly dies out.

As pointed out in the "Standing in 120" thread, there are plenty of rules being broken on a game-ly basis that are largely ignored.

Plus, I am still bitter at how the league went about making sure we got the message that they couldn't happen anymore.

AL-MO
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
Streamers are great!

But lets use them after the CDN anthem, and after goals to celebrate.

Maple Leaf Red
05-15-2009, 02:28 PM

Jamaica equalised from that corner in the World Cup Qualifier.

prizby
05-15-2009, 02:29 PM
Streamers are great!

why not use them for their effectiveness during the playoffs?

Canadian ref vs. MLS ref, quality comes in fianlly ;)

werewolf
05-15-2009, 02:31 PM
Jamaica equalised from that corner in the World Cup Qualifier.

Yes they did. I explained that in the second half of what you quoted.

Maple Leaf Red
05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Yes they did. I explained that in the second half of what you quoted.
bahaha what a stupid I am.

Anyway, I like the streamers and would love to see an organized throw after goals or the anthems.

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2009, 02:44 PM
IMO it was easier to get enough streamers to cover a corner while the goals and anthems approach doesn't look that impressive unless the whole stand is participating a la PAOK.

Rudi
05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
Mauricio Navarro has reffed MLS games since 2006.

BRed
05-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Let fans be fans.

edmundo
05-15-2009, 02:59 PM
lol our usage of the streamers adds to our homefield advantage and intimidates the opposing team when they take a corner, for the game wednesday i brought a bag of like 20 streamers and hand them out mostly to people around me in my section, shockingly however i noticed no-one else with any at all on my way to the stadium, another interesting occurance was when i threw my first one it landed near a cop, and he gave me stare as if he was gonna toss me, which in year 1 would of never happened over a streamer

werewolf
05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
^ must have been the wrong cop, I saw one handing back a streamer that was unrolled on the ground.

daner90
05-15-2009, 03:01 PM
I still like the streams but in masses not one or two...

morgank1986
05-15-2009, 03:02 PM
Streamers are great!

agreed. What about those confetti shooters you can buy at the dollarstore? I think you give them a twist and they shoot confetti into the air. It would look quite good if enough of us had those going after goals

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/223252758/confetti_shooter/showimage.html

FluSH
05-15-2009, 03:05 PM
passe passe... for me... although I am sure we will bring this back for one game down the road.. if not as a streamer shower TIFO

ExiledRed
05-15-2009, 03:06 PM

Did you watch the CC games last year?

The 'canadian ref' should have been executed after the Vancouver home fixture. Also there are plenty canadian refs in MLS.

brad
05-15-2009, 03:07 PM
^ must have been the wrong cop, I saw one handing back a streamer that was unrolled on the ground.

The ones in front of my section started laughing when the streamers started flying.

james
05-15-2009, 04:19 PM
throwing streamers at corners was fun at the time, but what i always wanted to do from day 1 and would really still love to see is us doing a TIFO display with streamers before kickoff or after a goal like how they do it in other countries around the world!!http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/Streamers3.jpg

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/Streamers.jpg

maybe some day we could organize a tifo display at a big match. Maybe first playoff game? or Champions League match?

james
05-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Even Glasgow Ranger Fans have had Tifos at Celtic park.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/RangersStreamers.jpg

james
05-15-2009, 04:23 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/GreekStreamers.jpg

james
05-15-2009, 04:24 PM
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/GremioStadium3.jpg