PDA

View Full Version : Can Toronto FC play in Superliga?

Shway
05-15-2009, 01:43 PM
With TFC's great form, let say we win the MLS Cup or even if we end the exact way we are in the overall table (4th). Would we be qualified for Superliga?

If so,

that would consist of us having 3 tournaments to play in, adding on more games correct?

:scarf::flare::drum::flare::scarf:

deltox
05-15-2009, 01:44 PM
yes thats correct

AL-MO
05-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Concacaf Champions League is all I care about! And we are well on the way to qualifying for that!

prizby
05-15-2009, 01:46 PM
more games, more teams we get to see, win-win

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Uugh. Can we be the first MLS team to decline? The Mexican teams can...

deltox
05-15-2009, 01:49 PM
this is from the tfc web site

A full Champions League run from qualification to the finals will add another 18 matches to the slate.

thats where it really counts

deltox
05-15-2009, 01:50 PM
its champions league, playoffs and superliga that will shorten the long boring offseason.

isnt that what we want?

deltox
05-15-2009, 01:53 PM
MLS wont allow clubs to be in both tourneys.....like champions league and uefa cup.

but we dont earn our berth into champions league through MLS......so could we in fact get into both?

winning the canada cup only gets us into qualifying stages of concacaf

Shway
05-15-2009, 01:59 PM
my reason for asking because this is just more games the better right?

how about when you have a 24 man roster?

toronto needs to field another team.....

prizby
05-15-2009, 02:00 PM
MLS wont allow clubs to be in both tourneys.....like champions league and uefa cup.

but we dont earn our berth into champions league through MLS......so could we in fact get into both?

sure they can, champions league doesn't get going houston was in champions league in 08/09 and in the superliga

deltox
05-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Major League Soccer announced that starting with SuperLiga 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_SuperLiga_2009) it will no longer allow teams to compete in both the CONCACAF Champions League and the SuperLiga

prizby
05-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Major League Soccer announced that starting with SuperLiga 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_SuperLiga_2009) it will no longer allow teams to compete in both the CONCACAF Champions League and the SuperLiga

we are able to qualify for champions league outside of MLS standings, which should be mean we should be allowed to be in the superliga

deltox
05-15-2009, 02:08 PM
well we are a MLS team....and superliga is owned by SUM (which is MLS) so i dont really know.

in fact this rule prolly came into play cause some teams were playing too many games

i would be happy with playoffs and one of these tournaments.....and the champions league is the prefered. its a real tournament that means something

Oldtimer
05-15-2009, 02:15 PM
we are able to qualify for champions league outside of MLS standings, which should be mean we should be allowed to be in the superliga

Not true, we would have to decline our CL spot to play in the SuperLiga.

deltox
05-15-2009, 02:17 PM
which we wouldnt do

Oldtimer
05-15-2009, 02:22 PM
which we wouldnt do

No way.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-15-2009, 02:30 PM
SuperLiga seems kind of redundant now, anyway. The competition was set up when the old CONCACAF Champions Cup still existed, so the league-style format was new at the time. With the existence of a modern Champions League now, SuperLiga looks like a version of our continental championship that features teams from only three countries.

Even if we had the option to play in both the CCL and SuperLiga, I would prefer it if TFC declined the latter competition. Some of our players may not be getting regular playing time right now, but fixture congestion will undoubtedly give these guys playing time. A 24-player roster is simply not enough to cover 30 MLS league games, potential playoff games, NCC games, CCL games, SuperLiga games, international call-ups (for friendlies, the Gold Cup and WCQ), and miscellaneous club friendlies. Something has to give.

05-15-2009, 03:00 PM
I only count 14 games in the CCL (2 in Prelim, 6 in Group Stage, 2 in Quarters, 2 in Semis, 2 in Finals). Perhaps the 18 includes the 4 NCC games?

Kaz
05-15-2009, 03:02 PM
No TFC can't compete in both Superliga and the Champions League. Superliga qualifications is the top four MLS teams not already qualified for the Champions League.

T_Mizz
05-15-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm pretty sure this is the equivalent of the Europa league, its only for second rate teams that didn't get into the champions league

bee dubya
05-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Can the Superliga winner get into the following year's CONCACAF CL? Maybe it can be used like the Intertoto Cup or something...

TorontoBlades
05-15-2009, 03:38 PM
it would effectively be a poor man's UEFA Cup...or whatever they're calling it this year

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-15-2009, 03:42 PM

yep it could be 2 games and out...this is why MLS should take TFC
into superliga if that happens..if we qualify for the CCL proper then no.

james
05-15-2009, 04:07 PM
SuperLiga right now is crap. They gotta change the format or something. It just picks what cties get to be played at home...no games are played away in Mexico. Its unfair and was just a tournamnet to grab money and since the new Champions League started SuperLiga is now for the lower placed clubs.

i Believe if TFC was to compete in Champions League, Canadian Championship, MLS Season and SuperLiga all in 1 season would be to much matches for are players to handle, they would get to tired and could really hurt are players. It would probably also confuse the hell out of many TFC fans, they probably wouldnt know what they are playing for any more. Lastly i think it would also be to many games for all the fans to buy ticekts to. I bet with so many matches fans would have to pick what games to go to, you most likely see alot of empty seats.

Pookie
05-15-2009, 04:09 PM
What would be interesting would be to see us play at the Rogers Centre given the weather.

The impact drew something like over 50,000 for their game last year.

Pretty cool... well, minus "the wave" part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0f40cYH80o

james
05-15-2009, 04:27 PM
What would be interesting would be to see us play at the Rogers Centre given the weather.

The impact drew something like over 50,000 for their game last year.

Pretty cool... well, minus "the wave" part.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0f40cYH80o

50,000 for Champions League match, not SuperLiga!

Pookie
05-15-2009, 04:30 PM
50,000 for Champions League match, not SuperLiga!

^ yeah, whatever the match... my point was simply about indoor soccer in the winter

elvis
05-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Hate to post this again but this will help you keep track of the trophies TFC can (and will!) compete for:

http://mymorningexpresso.blogspot.com/2009/05/whats-nutrilite-canadian-championship.html

NateDoGG
05-15-2009, 09:54 PM
this is from the tfc web site

A full Champions League run from qualification to the finals will add another 18 matches to the slate.

thats where it really counts

wowww
i hope tfc can handle a real FULL season, playoffs n all....
gonna be interesting to see what happens

nfitz
05-16-2009, 12:26 AM
No TFC can't compete in both Superliga and the Champions League. Superliga qualifications is the top four MLS teams not already qualified for the Champions League.Given that the Canadian entry in the Champions League is only selected a few days before the Superliga starts, then the would be qualified for Superliga long before anyone finds out they will be in Champions League.

I don't think anyone here knows one way or another what would happen. The whole announcement has been devoid of any information of what would happen in this circumstance.