PDA

View Full Version : Rumour - Jamie Smith from Aberdeen to TFC?

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2009, 06:01 AM
http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1216755?UserKey=

ABERDEEN FC defender Lee Mair has provided a boost ahead of tomorrow’s clash with Rangers by revealing he is set to sign a new deal.
But injury-jinxed winger Jamie Smith appears to be on his way out of Pittodrie after being linked with a move to Canadian side Toronto.
Mair said: “I want to stay at Aberdeen FC and the ideal scenario would be to sign a new deal and play in Europe next season.
“The club have said they will come back to me with a deal when they know what position they finish in the SPL.
“Obviously the higher up the table the more money they will get from the league, so that would affect the deal.
“But I want to stay here, so hopefully that can be resolved next week.”
Smith, however, looks certain to move and is understood to have already opened talks with MLS side Toronto, who are managed by former Scotland striker Mo Johnston

http://www.football.co.uk/aberdeen/players/jamie_smith__j_34117.shtml

torontocelt
05-15-2009, 06:17 AM
Smith is a decent enough player who could play as a wing back, winger, midfielder or even as a forward I am sure. He would definitely be able to add width to the team although I am pretty sure his crossing ain't great. He has also been labeled as a bit injury prone which would be a concern.

Another ex Celtic player was on the move yesterday when David Marshall moved to Cardiff for 500,000 pounds. He is a young guy, pretty decent goalie, excellent shot stopper. Why do I mention this well if he can move for $1m then people who think we might get $5m - $10m for Frei can dream on as Marshall is just as capable as Frei with a far better pedigree.

InTheCrowd
05-15-2009, 06:40 AM
I am tired of all of the rumoured players coming from the UK.

Carter
05-15-2009, 06:41 AM
Can we add "rumor" to the beginning of things like these.

We need a damn fullback!

KRO
05-15-2009, 06:46 AM
Seems like a good player but injury prone, which is the last thing we need. This from today's sporting life.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/05/15/manual_095325.html

However, the Dons will be without Jamie Smith, who is out for the rest of the season after suffering a recurrence of a hamstring injury against Hearts on Tuesday evening.

denime
05-15-2009, 07:06 AM
Can we add "rumor" to the beginning of things like these.

We need a damn fullback!

Done

Carter
05-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Done

Thanks D, now who is our new full back? :rolleyes::p

Carts
05-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Thanks D, now who is our new full back? :rolleyes::p

Carter, it is you...! :scarf:

Seriously though, the rumors are always major teases LOL

Carts...

drewski
05-15-2009, 07:34 AM
Seems like a good player but injury prone, which is the last thing we need. This from today's sporting life.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/scottishpremier/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/05/15/manual_095325.html

ya, noticed that in the original story

But injury-jinxed winger Jamie Smith appears to be on his way out of Pittodrie after being linked with a move to Canadian side Toronto.

Mikey
05-15-2009, 07:36 AM
Not entirely convinced we need someone who is about to turn 30 and suffers from a mystery back compliant....:rolleyes:

Carter
05-15-2009, 07:41 AM
Carter, it is you...! :scarf:

Seriously though, the rumors are always major teases LOL

Carts...

You are a major tease....

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2009, 07:45 AM
Wow. Don't hear much of the Dons here. Haven't seen much of him this year but at least he's used to to the red.

arbogast
05-15-2009, 08:29 AM
A winger eh? Could RR be on his way out?

nimamalek
05-15-2009, 08:35 AM
we need a solid striker, our defense is not the issue

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2009, 08:52 AM

What a difference a month makes...

Jack
05-15-2009, 08:54 AM
We've needed both since the start of the season and that hasn't changed.

Another defender to throw in the mix with Velez and Serioux. If one of them is out we are probably ok with Attakora, who has been solid in his appearances to date, but after that we're talking Harmse again...

And the need for a striker who can bang them in remains.

TFC Cityboy
05-15-2009, 08:55 AM
I respectfully disagree. We have enough options up front given the roster restrictions in place. The defence has held up well so far but we just one or 2 injuries/ intl call-ups away from a massive crater back there.

An injury-prone scottish winger doesn't exactly thrill me!!

Toronto_Bhoy
05-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Smith is extremely injury prone…wouldn't be worth the money.

billyfly
05-15-2009, 09:10 AM

Another defender to throw in the mix with Velez and Serioux. If one of them is out we are probably ok with Attakora, who has been solid in his appearances to date, but after that we're talking Harmse again...

Watching Portuguese TV last night at my parents house and they interviewed Mario Jardel. (Anyone remember him? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1rio_Jardel)

He looked in shape and he was going on about how he wanted to play and hoped that a Portuguese team would give him a try-out etc...

I am not saying DP or anything and I know he's old (my age sigh) but man, if there was 1 guy that scored on his chances, it was this guy.

Carter
05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
What a difference a month makes...

:rofl: Pete i don't know what to say to that comment :flare::flare:

T.Reis
05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
if we were to get this Smith guy, would that not tie up our last international spot or do we have another one?

Because after dealing an international in Marshall at the begining of the year I was expecting that last international spot to be used on a really good central defender. Not that Smith might not be one, but u know what I mean.

Jack
05-15-2009, 12:38 PM
Watching Portuguese TV last night at my parents house and they interviewed Mario Jardel. (Anyone remember him? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A1rio_Jardel)

He looked in shape and he was going on about how he wanted to play and hoped that a Portuguese team would give him a try-out etc...

I am not saying DP or anything and I know he's old (my age sigh) but man, if there was 1 guy that scored on his chances, it was this guy.
He was beast for Porto

He scored an insane amount of goals, I remember.

But I wonder how much is left in the tank.

Wooster_TFC
05-15-2009, 12:40 PM
if we were to get this Smith guy, would that not tie up our last international spot or do we have another one?

Because after dealing an international in Marshall at the begining of the year I was expecting that last international spot to be used on a really good central defender. Not that Smith might not be one, but u know what I mean.

It's our senior roster cap that's the problem, not the international one. We might even be way more open on the international side if Dichio counts as domestic now (he became a full-time resident or citizen or something earlier this year).

Sonny Cheeba
05-15-2009, 12:41 PM
he's probably got a lot of sheep poo on his wiener.

we don't need him. i hope this is only a bullshit rumour.

Jack
05-15-2009, 12:43 PM
he's probably got a lot of sheep poo on his wiener.

we don't need him. i hope this is only a bullshit rumour.
LOL :p

TFC07
05-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Does anyone here have a scouting report on this player (besides being an injury prone)?

BTW, excluding Rangers and Celtic, quality of SPL isn't that great. So I question if a player from SPL would be an upgrade in terms of talent for us.

boban
05-15-2009, 04:50 PM
+1 :thumbsup:

torontocelt
05-15-2009, 07:13 PM
Does anyone here have a scouting report on this player (besides being an injury prone)?

BTW, excluding Rangers and Celtic, quality of SPL isn't that great. So I question if a player from SPL would be an upgrade in terms of talent for us.

There are quite a few players in the SPL outside of the old firm who would definitely improve TFC, I cant really be arsed having to justify the quality of the SPL yet again so just take my word for it.

jloome
05-15-2009, 10:29 PM
He was beast for Porto

He scored an insane amount of goals, I remember.

But I wonder how much is left in the tank.

Quite widely reported to be zippo. Didn't he absolutely flunk out at Bolton?

this is joga
05-16-2009, 11:35 AM

here, here.. i couldn't agree more.

if you look at the players that have made TFC better this season - its not anyone with UK experience.. or even european experience for that matter. dero, serioux, feri, cronin and vitti are the newest addition that have made this team stronger - given it more depth.

pleeeeeeease, no more trying ex-UK players like ricketts, welsh, samuel, robert, tébily. besides robo and dichio, whos made the transition to MLS and played well for us?

now, i'm not saying that players from the UK aren't capable or talented enough to have good careers in MLS.. all i'm saying is that we've tried a ton of guys out and only two stick - and those two are at the end of their careers. maybe its a lot more difficult to make the adjustment to north america then we think... IMO its time to stop giving the ole' UK experiment a try. it hasn't worked for us.

lets look for players in other parts of the world.. south america still interests me lot - especially argentina.. africa seems like a logical place to find young cheap talent - and don't forget our own backyard and the US of A. these are the places our management should scouting.

H Bomb
05-16-2009, 11:39 AM

if you look at the players that have made TFC better this season - its not anyone with UK experience.. or even european experience for that matter. dero, serioux, feri, cronin and vitti are the newest addition that have made this team stronger - given it more depth.

pleeeeeeease, no more trying ex-UK players like ricketts, welsh, samuel, robert, tébily. besides robo and dichio, whos made the transition to MLS and played well for us?

Doesnt this show how there is no English conspiracy for players. These are the guys we got in the offseason. How many came from England? Also Jimmy B was straight from England so you should include him with Dichio/Robbo. Mo is from Scotland, Cummins is from England. They're gonna sign the best players possible, and they have more info on guys from the British Ilses.

TFC07
05-16-2009, 12:02 PM

now, i'm not saying that players from the UK aren't capable or talented enough to have good careers in MLS.. all i'm saying is that we've tried a ton of guys out and only two stick - and those two are at the end of their careers. maybe its a lot more difficult to make the adjustment to north america then we think... IMO its time to stop giving the ole' UK experiment a try. it hasn't worked for us.

lets look for players in other parts of the world.. south america still interests me lot - especially argentina.. africa seems like a logical place to find young cheap talent - and don't forget our own backyard and the US of A. these are the places our management should scouting.

Agreed. Well said. :flare:

A lot of British players can't adapt to MLS for some odd reason. I guess playing in North American summer and adjusting to North American lifestyle are main factors why a lot of British players have trouble adapting.

Calvin
05-16-2009, 12:25 PM

are you serioux? Marvell is not dead! I thought we were replacing Harmse/Velez.

this is joga
05-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Doesnt this show how there is no English conspiracy for players. These are the guys we got in the offseason. How many came from England? Also Jimmy B was straight from England so you should include him with Dichio/Robbo. Mo is from Scotland, Cummins is from England. They're gonna sign the best players possible, and they have more info on guys from the British Ilses.

hey h bomb - yeah, i guess you could add brennan to that group.. although as much as he did play he pro game over seas, i still consider him a home grown talent - seeing how he didn't go over to England until he was 19/20 (went to Italy at 16/17). i would still put him in the UK trained category for sure. MO also born, breed and trained in Scotland has been in the MLS for the last 13 years. so i do consider his playing/coaching style more MLS than not.

as for there being an English conspiracy. i don't think its a conspiracy. i think its pretty obvious where Mo and staff go look for talent. its in the UK, and that is mainly b/c (like you said) that is where they have more contacts.. all i am saying is that IMO the UK experiment has not worked as a whole. its time to have contacts in other parts of the world - ie south america and africa.

(as you know already, my background is italian... and i don't think we should be looking at players trained in italy - mainly b/c their style of game would not translate into an MLS game.. just the same way i don't think UK trained players have adopted well to MLS (or at least TFC).

there is no need to make this about culture or region or anything like that. bottom line is, we need to find the best talent suited for MLS/TFC anywhere and not just look at one small part of the world.

(sadly, i'll wont be in attendance today)
forza TFC!

TFC07
05-16-2009, 12:40 PM
There's one market no one here talk about.

THE ASIAN MARKET!

I think TFC should try to get couple of Asian players. I think it is good market for TFC to tap into.

this is joga
05-16-2009, 12:47 PM

THE ASIAN MARKET!

I think TFC should try to get couple of Asian players. I think it is good market for TFC to tap into.

i'm not sold on the Asian market. i can't think of one Asian footballer that i'd like to see in any one of the teams i support. IMO Africa is a market that should definitely be looked at with a fine comb.

boban
05-16-2009, 01:02 PM

I'm all for having more Canadian talent. ;)

And don't forget about E. Europe, in addition to those you mentioned. There is a wealth of talent in that region also.

boban
05-16-2009, 01:06 PM

THE ASIAN MARKET!

I could have sworn I saw some TFC staff in China town the other week. ;)

twistedchinaman
05-16-2009, 01:29 PM
I'm all for having more Canadian talent. ;)

And don't forget about E. Europe, in addition to those you mentioned. There is a wealth of talent in that region also.

...just ask Man U about Nemanja Vidic.

Still, Asia is not bad. Japan and Korea have pretty good quality players like Shunsuke Nakamura (with Celtic) and Park Ji Sung (Man U), ditto Australia with the likes of Viduka, Cahill, et al.

twistedchinaman
05-16-2009, 01:30 PM
I could have sworn I saw some TFC staff in China town the other week. ;)

A little farther...about a 16 hour plane ride farther...:D

Gothenburg red
05-18-2009, 02:30 PM
Aberdeen fan here , if you can get Smith fit , he'll do a job for you , on his day the guy is shit hot

Cambridge_Red
05-18-2009, 03:07 PM
i'm not sold on the Asian market. i can't think of one Asian footballer that i'd like to see in any one of the teams i support. IMO Africa is a market that should definitely be looked at with a fine comb.

You've obviously haven't looked too hard then.

TFC07
05-18-2009, 03:10 PM
There are quite a few players in the SPL outside of the old firm who would definitely improve TFC, I cant really be arsed having to justify the quality of the SPL yet again so just take my word for it.

just few players? sure I agree with that, but however majority players not playing for old firm in SPL wouldn't be much an upgrade in MLS. Also they will more expensive to get compare to Latino, African and Asian players.

InTheCrowd
05-18-2009, 05:39 PM

THE ASIAN MARKET!

Do I smell Yang Changpeng?

K1nG
05-18-2009, 06:14 PM
Early on in Mourinho's coaching career while at the helm on Uniao de Leiria (now Portuguese 2nd div club) he travelled to Brazil where he scouted and bought players for what he refers to as "peanuts". He led them to a 5th place finish and a Uefa Cup place. I am suprised to see a lack of Brazilians in this league, especially since you can buy them for relatively cheap and they have been pretty much consistent in adapting to all styles of play.

Bars92
05-18-2009, 07:45 PM
http://www.footballtransferleague.co.uk/football_club.aspx?football_club=Toronto

I love how this says 'Toronto, United States'

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2009, 06:00 AM
I dont give a shit where our players come from so long as they are effective and make a difference for the postive on the field

further information
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5336333,00.html

Im not psyched on old or frequently injured players tho

Ossington Mental Youth
05-19-2009, 06:02 AM
Still wondering whether Ricketts is in the future plans, especially with this guy coming, or whether his time on th ebench has served as an attempt to get him to wrok harder etc etc

Lucky Strike
05-19-2009, 08:15 AM
I dont give a shit where our players come from so long as they are effective and make a difference for the postive on the field

further information
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_5336333,00.html

Im not psyched on old or frequently injured players tho

It's funny to read the two approaches to signing players because advocates of each, both don't understand the other position and it becomes like an Abbott and Costello routine (no offense to anyone :D).

Position #1: We should get players from X place in the world (say South America, to use a common example) because they're inexpensive or their style of play would suit us/help the team.

Position #2: It shouldn't matter where players come from so long as they're good and help the team.

Position #1 doesn't actually, truly care where a player comes from, but is simply pointing out that they think the team would be further helped by signing a South American player (to continue using the example) because you get good talent for your money, which is important in a cap world. There exist other similar rationales as well.

Position #2 largely believes in/understands the same principles as Position #1 but just doesn't say so in its analyses/arguments. Position #2 often (but not always, so don't jump on me) misinterprets Position #1 as being ethnically driven or being prejudiced (the word has negative connotations, but I mean here it in the sense of "preference" and not imply there's any malice such as racism or xenophobia) for and/or against a player from a certain region of the world.

Position #1 simply believes Position #2 doesn't get the subtle distinctions they are making when in fact both parties are in fact in agreement with each other.

Nuvinho
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
So Jamie Smith is in town??

Lucky Strike
05-19-2009, 08:54 AM
I just realized this, imagine if we sign this guy and still had Jarrod Smith. We'd have

Jarrod Smith
Johann Smith
Jaime Smith

...all abbreviated to J. Smith. Even Ja. and Jo. Smith wouldn't work.

celtic bhoy
05-19-2009, 09:02 AM
Jamie smith would last 2 to 3 games on your artifical pitch and be out for the rest of the season with the back injury again .

Beach_Red
05-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Early on in Mourinho's coaching career while at the helm on Uniao de Leiria (now Portuguese 2nd div club) he travelled to Brazil where he scouted and bought players for what he refers to as "peanuts". He led them to a 5th place finish and a Uefa Cup place. I am suprised to see a lack of Brazilians in this league, especially since you can buy them for relatively cheap and they have been pretty much consistent in adapting to all styles of play.

Would it still be "peanuts?" Would there be any difference in trying to convince player agents in Brazil to have their players go to Toronto or Portugal?

I'm just curious. We seem to have this attitude that Brazil has no idea the value of soccer players and aren't very good businessmen to this day.

Shakes McQueen
05-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Brazil isn't exactly a cultural or technological backwater. I'm sure they are well aware of the difference in opportunity between playing MLS, versus playing in virtually any equivalent or superior European league. Even if it's just on a reserve squad.

I also suspect the single entity system scares a lot of people off.

- Scott

scooter
05-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Jamie smith would last 2 to 3 games on your artifical pitch and be out for the rest of the season with the back injury again .

exactly what i was thinking
its not so much adapting to mls its GRASS:rolleyes:

TorontoBlades
05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
from the BBC sports gossip page:

Aberdeen have given injury-jinxed midfielder Jamie Smith permission to fly to Canada to hold contract talks with Toronto. (Daily Record)

H Bomb
05-19-2009, 12:35 PM
^^ The scores daily update also states he is in Toronto to talk about a possible move.

fetajr
05-19-2009, 12:46 PM

Agreed. Except there is one player playing the UK that is worth looking at:

Carlos Villanueva from Blackburn Rovers

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=Carlos+Villanueva&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=HfASSrr_DYS8tgOT6N3wDQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=5&ct=title#

He is on loan there from Audax Italiano.... any change MoJo can get this guy?

fuck...just as i wrote this, i googled him and just saw that he was trasferred to a team in Dubai for a shit load of money

Stryker
05-19-2009, 12:53 PM
He's got a far better strike rate than Ricketts.
If he'll play for similar money I'm all for it.

H Bomb
05-19-2009, 12:56 PM
Agreed. Except there is one player playing the UK that is worth looking at:

Carlos Villanueva from Blackburn Rovers

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=Carlos+Villanueva&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=HfASSrr_DYS8tgOT6N3wDQ&sa=X&oi=video_result_group&resnum=5&ct=title#

He is on loan there from Audax Italiano.... any change MoJo can get this guy?

fuck...just as i wrote this, i googled him and just saw that he was trasferred to a team in Dubai for a shit load of money

yeah, I was gonna mention that. But it's a bad idea to expect or ever hope for young talent out of the premier league/primera/serie a, etc.

TorontoBlades
05-19-2009, 01:04 PM
^^ I actually noticed him as a strong player this weekend. Nice to see you gentlemen are on the ball :)

Oldtimer
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Winsper's magic might just be the ticket for this guy,

Stryker
05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
Exactly what I was thinking.

Lucky Strike
05-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Lol, I was just coming here to post about that.

dantdot
05-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I can imagine this guy at BMO for the first time wanting to walk out the tunnel and see the field then Mo grabs him, and says, "nothing to see there, don't worry about it."

Stryker
05-20-2009, 10:46 AM
Food for thought:
Smith plays Ricketts postion but currently Ricketts is riding pine and they're having Cronin play there. If Smith does sign its safe to say that Ricketts would be likely to depart. But how would it effect Cronin? We've seen him play RB well and Wynne hasn't exactly been playing his best lately.
Could a Smith signing not only number Ricketts days but turn Wynne into trade bait as well?

Lucky Strike
05-20-2009, 10:56 AM
Food for thought:
Smith plays Ricketts postion but currently Ricketts is riding pine and they're having Cronin play there. If Smith does sign its safe to say that Ricketts would be likely to depart. But how would it effect Cronin? We've seen him play RB well and Wynne hasn't exactly been playing his best lately.
Could a Smith signing not only number Ricketts days but turn Wynne into trade bait as well?

I don't think so, despite his two bigger faults (bad positioning, flailing arms), just having Attakora as RB is not enough. While Cronin can play there too, it's not his natural position. Suppose Wynne is dealt away, then Attakora gets hurt: we play Cronin there but he won't be as effective because 1) like I said, it's not his natural position and 2) we lose an excellent DM as well which has to be filled in by someone else, perhaps which isn't their best position either. It can all cascade like that. It would be better to keep Wynne despite his recent struggles.

P.S. All the above is assuming we play our 4-2-1-3 but I'm sure the argument can be made for other instances as well.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-20-2009, 11:11 AM
I agree with Lucky Strike with regards to Wynne. Hes not going anywhere. I am concerned about Ricketts tho and am starting to wonder if hes asked to leave hence the looking for a winger.

Lucky Strike
05-20-2009, 11:20 AM
I agree with Lucky Strike with regards to Wynne. Hes not going anywhere. I am concerned about Ricketts tho and am starting to wonder if hes asked to leave hence the looking for a winger.

That would be awfully fast on the trigger wouldn't it? He was a starter the first couple games then was relegated to the bench. We've played 10 games thereafter (all competitions) and bang he asks to leave? I can't speak for his frame of mind, but it seems to me that would be a bit premature/giving up quickly. Not saying you're wrong, just that I would be surprised if it were true. It could be just Mo looking for a winger anyway to replace Ricketts.

Either way, you have to feel bad for him: he's a great guy who does charity work, gets involved in the community and this sort of thing has happened everywhere he's gone in his career. He must really be down on confidence; I thought it showed when he was on the Footy Show last Sunday, he wasn't his usual self I thought.

That being said, business is business though. It can be cruel.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-20-2009, 11:41 AM
yep very true, i do wonder why/if the team/coaches/whoever gave up on him all of a sudden... i think we both agree he hasnt had much of a chacne this season

East Ham
05-20-2009, 04:29 PM
http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/football-spy/2009/05/emmanuel-adebayor.html

at the bottom of the page....

PS sorry if this is already a thread....

Bobo
05-25-2009, 01:56 PM
I don't really like this potential signing. I'm all for keeping this same formation and keeping Cronin where he is. Smith won't come here to be a sub. We need a winger who is willing to be a fill-in. Costs less and we have more room to work with for a CB/ST.

Enough with the J.Smiths already.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-25-2009, 02:02 PM
I like the idea of signing one or two offensive players, our attack still needs to be lifted to the next level. I’m willing to consider the possibility that Jamie Smith might do the trick for us. As it stands we (or rather TFC) doesn’t have a winger than coaching staff has confidence in playing.

Yohan
05-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't really like this potential signing. I'm all for keeping this same formation and keeping Cronin where he is. Smith won't come here to be a sub. We need a winger who is willing to be a fill-in. Costs less and we have more room to work with for a CB/ST.

Enough with the J.Smiths already.
you think cummins will stick with 4-3-3 forever?

we dont have any good natural wingers

Bobo
05-25-2009, 02:31 PM
you think cummins will stick with 4-3-3 forever?

we dont have any good natural wingers

As long as we're doing ok with it, than ya I think Cummins should stick with it. I don't know very much at all about this Smith guy, must have some skill but if he isn't the sort of attacking winger that can play in a 4-3-3 then I think our cap space would be better spent elsewhere. If we switch to a 4-4-2 we're losing a bit of both Guevara and DeRo and we are forced to put more faith in Barrett to score goals.

But as I said I don't know much and I'd be lying if I said a young (enough) SPL player didn't sound the slightest bit intriguing.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-25-2009, 11:31 PM
was talking to buddies of mine this weekend that had praise for him, said hes about right for the MLS, is regarded as an all out attacking player, is nice on the ball but isnt Celtic or Rangers material (but is bigger than Hibbies/Jambos etc, these boys are big Celtic fans btw with fantastic knowledge of the SPL). Should be interesting where it goes...

hrvat87
05-25-2009, 11:54 PM
no surprise toronto once again goes arfter a player from the UK.and INJURY PRONE,a winger?that doesnt seem to be a problem in the team,bout a STRIKER instead of a winger,lemme guess he's in his late 20's early 30's?

jloome
05-26-2009, 03:37 AM
was talking to buddies of mine this weekend that had praise for him, said hes about right for the MLS, is regarded as an all out attacking player, is nice on the ball but isnt Celtic or Rangers material (but is bigger than Hibbies/Jambos etc, these boys are big Celtic fans btw with fantastic knowledge of the SPL). Should be interesting where it goes...

How's his finishing?

jloome
05-26-2009, 03:41 AM
New story just moved in the Scottish papers, says he's on his way over to look around.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1232957?UserKey=

jloome
05-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Jeppe Curth, top scorer in the Danish league this year. Hasn't developed into the European-leader level striker some people expected but would be a great player for MLS.

Plus, he's been at Aalborg since 2005, so maybe he's out of contract soon.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-26-2009, 06:05 AM
How's his finishing?

not his strongest point sadly from what they told me, great on the ball and fantastic for passes and runs etc. Apparently they converted him from a striker to a winger at celtic when he was younger

torontocelt
05-26-2009, 06:27 AM

I think they are probably viewing him through the old green tinted glasses, Smith is nothing more than a decent player, his strength to TFC would be his versatility to play a number of positions if he can remain fit and injury free. Smith is definitely not too big a player for Hibs nor Hearts, they both have players in their squad who are infinitely superior to Jamie Smith. That is not to say that he would look out of place in their squad or in their team but dont think for a minute he is too good for either of the Edinburgh sides, nor is he too good for Motherwell, Kilmarnock, basically any Scottish SPL side.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-26-2009, 06:35 AM
I think they are probably viewing him through the old green tinted glasses, Smith is nothing more than a decent player, his strength to TFC would be his versatility to play a number of positions if he can remain fit and injury free. Smith is definitely not too big a player for Hibs nor Hearts, they both have players in their squad who are infinitely superior to Jamie Smith. That is not to say that he would look out of place in their squad or in their team but dont think for a minute he is too good for either of the Edinburgh sides, nor is he too good for Motherwell, Kilmarnock, basically any Scottish SPL side.

HAHAHA
could well be, could also i may have gotten some of that wrong, we were drinking heavily in the hot sun and thats been known to scramble a mans brains

standFree
06-01-2009, 07:59 AM
This is pretty much a done deal. From what I hear its just up to the guy Smith to decide whether he wants to move here.

Pachuco
06-01-2009, 08:29 AM
This is pretty much a done deal. From what I hear its just up to the guy Smith to decide whether he wants to move here.

Ummm...how is it even a done deal if the guy hasn't decided as to whether he wants to come? I would expect once he decides then negotiations take place and at that point we've seen signings breakdown more often then not.

Nodoubtguy
06-01-2009, 08:33 AM
another mid?? why???
I know its speculation right now, but are these the positions we need to be even thinking about??

Pachuco
06-01-2009, 08:45 AM
another mid?? why???
I know its speculation right now, but are these the positions we need to be even thinking about??

It is if we're about to trade or release Ricketts for a striker or defender ;)

Toronto_Bhoy
06-01-2009, 08:50 AM
This boy isn't a bad player but he is injured…all the time!!!

Plastic pitch will not help him…

sampace
06-01-2009, 08:53 AM
I'd rather see Gerba, or letting Ibby play more. Not sure why they didn't use him instead of Ricketts on Saturday. How will he improve any if they do not play him at all this year. I know he is young, but he does need to see the pitch once and awhile. Look at the development of our Nana with playing time. He has really blossomed into an up and comer.

Pachuco
06-01-2009, 08:56 AM
I'd rather see Gerba, or letting Ibby play more. Not sure why they didn't use him instead of Ricketts on Saturday. How will he improve any if they do not play him at all this year. I know he is young, but he does need to see the pitch once and awhile. Look at the development of our Nana with playing time. He has really blossomed into an up and comer.

But Ibby HAS been playing. He's been first off the bench most times when we need to bring in a midfielder. This is just about the only game I can remember where Ricketts came in before Ibby. And honestly? Ricketts is better then Ibby right now, he's also only 25 or 26, so it's not like he's old. If they have no plans for Ricketts then it wouldn't make sense to play him much, but we don't know what Cummins and Mo are up to.

Lucky Strike
06-01-2009, 10:09 AM
New story just moved in the Scottish papers, says he's on his way over to look around.

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1232957?UserKey=

We all say we don't really need another midfielder, but the article describes him as a forward.

standFree
06-01-2009, 11:09 AM
He is a forward, just not an out and out striker.

If, and its a big if, he can stay off the physio's bench he'd be a brilliant addition to the squad, after all we're looking for depth and I'm affraid ricketts doesnt add much coming on as a sub. You just have too look at how bad Wynne was upfront to realise that we need better players out wide that can deliver a ball into the box.

FYI he has been across and left yesterday, brought his whole family across to take a look.

poppamidnight
06-01-2009, 03:25 PM
He is a forward, just not an out and out striker.

If, and its a big if, he can stay off the physio's bench he'd be a brilliant addition to the squad, after all we're looking for depth and I'm affraid ricketts doesnt add much coming on as a sub. You just have too look at how bad Wynne was upfront to realise that we need better players out wide that can deliver a ball into the box.

FYI he has been across and left yesterday, brought his whole family across to take a look.

Not a good sign i'd take it... Don't they usually ship off the family to take care of stuff abroad while they put pen to Ink and set up things over here?

T_Mizz
06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
I'd love to have another forward that isn't an out and out striker, we play the type of game that requires two although an out and out striker would be greatly appreciated.

Joe Kool
06-01-2009, 07:32 PM

I wonder if they managed to catch the Houston/TFC game when they were here and then said screw this!!! Packed up the family and ran...actually joking but I am sure a 3-nil victory for us could have helped more.

BayernTFC
06-02-2009, 01:17 PM
According to Inverness Reds Online, Jamie has given up hope of re-signing with Aberdeen FC and Toronto FC appear to be the front-runners in the race to sign him:

JAMIE Smith today admitted, with a heavy heart, that he has played his last game for Aberdeen FC.
The midfielder has cleared out his locker at Pittodrie and will now begin the search for a new club.
Canadian side Toronto FC are leading the hunt to land the 28-year-old.
Smith said: “I have cleared all my stuff out of Pittodrie and taken away my boots because I am certain I will not be at the club next season.
“Aberdeen FC are a fantastic club and I always wanted to stay as my family is very settled in the city.
“But I cannot afford to wait around for an offer.
“I have accepted that I will be looking for employment elsewhere which is disappointing as I have loved my time at the club.”
Smith cut a forlorn figure as he packed his car with the mementoes of four years at Pittodrie.
And he accepts an injury-ravaged season ultimately killed off his hopes of a new deal.
“My injury problems did not help my cause,” he said.
“There have been some good times, and bad times, but it was a privilege to play for the club.”
(c) 2009 Evening Express

http://www.invernessreds.co.uk/?cat=1&paged=3

I think that TFC can use some help on the wing and, if it is just a matter of money, then we should take a chance on him to see if he can help. Mo tried it with Ruiz. Surely signing Jamie Smith couldn't be any worse than the Carlos Ruiz experiment, right? What do we have to lose? Rohan Ricketts? Johann Smith? Dumping those salaries would be an addition to the team imho. MLSE can afford the cash. Mo released Laurent Robert to make room for Ruiz and, even though Ruiz was a total bust, TFC was no worse for wear. TFC needs someone who can get balls into the box more often and feed our strikers consistently. I've seen too much reliance on Marvel Wynne and Jim Brennan to fill the role on the wing alone, and it can result in the ball being placed in the back of our net when the opposing team breaks out while Wynne or Brennan are caught out of position. Wynne and/or Brennan should be used in this role occasionally, similarly to the way FC Bayern München and the German National Team use Philipp Lahm. Also, TFC desperately needs another body that can actually hit the net. We are very thin in this department beyond De Rosario, Guevara and Dichio. TFC is much improved over last season, but the status quo isn't good enough. If Jamie Smith is willing to sign with Toronto, I think that Mo should definitely take a chance on him.

Gothenburg red
06-18-2009, 03:00 PM
New Dons manager Mark McGhee is willing to sit down and talk with Jamie Smith in the hope that he can get to the bottom of his recurring injuries and if its possible , sign him up again .....personally im over the moon with this cos hes shit hot

BayernTFC
06-18-2009, 03:48 PM
New Dons manager Mark McGhee is willing to sit down and talk with Jamie Smith in the hope that he can get to the bottom of his recurring injuries and if its possible , sign him up again .....personally im over the moon with this cos hes shit hot
I have read about this too:

Aberdeen’s new manager Mark McGhee wants to make Plymouth defender Jim Paterson his first signing and has left the door open for injury-plagued winger Jamie Smith to return to Pittodrie.

Jamie Smith was released by the Dons after four injury-ravaged seasons at Pittodrie and had been offered the chance to revive his career in MLS with Canadian club Toronto.
But McGhee is an admirer of the former Celtic and Den Haag winger and would be willing to investigate the root cause of the 28-year-old’s injury problems with the prospect of handing him a return to the SPL, although there is interest from both MLS and English clubs.

http://www.invernessreds.co.uk/?cat=390

Perhaps the Dons are just trying to keep their options open? It's not good news for us.

Gothenburg red
06-19-2009, 09:22 AM
Ive been paying alot of attention to your clubs website and ill admit i know fuck all about the MLS , but you seem tae be an alright bunch of guys and because of this Toronto FC are going tae be my second team .......Mon the Dons , Mon the Toronto ......get intae them heid first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
06-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Ive been paying alot of attention to your clubs website and ill admit i know fuck all about the MLS , but you seem tae be an alright bunch of guys and because of this Toronto FC are going tae be my second team .......Mon the Dons , Mon the Toronto ......get intae them heid first !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

welcome aboard!:drinking:

BayernTFC
06-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Jamie Smith won't be returning to Aberdeen FC:

JAMIE Smith will not make a shock return to Aberdeen FC this summer. New Aberdeen FC boss Mark McGhee was keen to investigate the possibility of retaining the Scotland cap.
http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1275622?UserKey=

Hitcho
06-24-2009, 04:03 PM
^ Interesting quote under the photo in that link:

ON HIS TRAVELS: Aberdeen FC winger Jamie Smith is set to move abroad.

Bobo
06-24-2009, 05:00 PM

All for one!

So will you be buying a Smith shirt if he signs?

I suggest a pretty pink one. You know, 10% goes to charity! Isn't it great to support a humanitarian club?

/end hack

Lucky Strike
06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Jamie Smith won't be returning to Aberdeen FC:

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/1275622?UserKey=

Kind of random but: thanks for actually going to find the appropriate thread and posting this in it, rather than starting a whole new one.

/ended off-topicnes.

BayernTFC
06-25-2009, 11:04 AM
^ Interesting quote under the photo in that link:

ON HIS TRAVELS: Aberdeen FC winger Jamie Smith is set to move abroad.
I didn't want to jinx it for us. The full article is up now:

But Smith will snub any approaches from Aberdeen in favour of a deal with an MLS side.

But the 28-year-old looks certain to move to America, with FC Toronto leading the race to sign him.
“Aberdeen had been in contact but Jamie has other options,” said Donaghy.
“There is a strong chance he will be moving abroad because he has received a couple of good offers from teams in the MLS in America.”

Hopefully the Harmse trade is a sign...

Kind of random but: thanks for actually going to find the appropriate thread and posting this in it, rather than starting a whole new one.

/ended off-topicnes.
No problem. I prefer things to be clean and tidy. Forums can get out of hand quickly. It's harder for everyone when there are a bunch of topics discussing the same thing.

Gern3000
07-29-2009, 03:39 PM
The Rapids have signed Scottish midfielder Jamie Smith. Per club and league policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Smith joins the Rapids following an extensive professional career abroad. Smith’s career began in Scotland with Celtic FC followed by stints with Dutch side ADO Den Haag and most recently Scottish Premier League club Aberdeen FC. Touted as a winger with a direct style, Smith has also earned two Scottish National Team caps.

Hitcho
07-29-2009, 03:41 PM
^ ahhhh feck

was hoping we'd sign him.

Bars92
07-29-2009, 04:24 PM
We have enough mids as it is. What we need is a solid defender from Europe.