PDA

View Full Version : Excuses excuses!

Cambridge_Red
05-31-2008, 11:50 PM
I love how the article fails to mention the fact that we were missing all of our star players through internationals and injuries and still kicked the crap out of LA.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=237814&cc=5901

RYANTFC
05-31-2008, 11:51 PM
L.A are a joke. So was that article.

Cashcleaner
06-01-2008, 02:36 AM
That article is bullshit. Sure, LA was short-handed; but so was Toronto. Sometimes I really hate this fucking league. The Galaxy get the exposure and the praise from the commish and his cronnies and all the special privileges; while the rest of the teams in the league are treated as second-class entities. Makes me fucking sick to my stomach.

And look at the match summary. LA has no misconducts while we're given 3 cautions! It really looks like the game was trying to get thrown in LA's favour, doesn't it? And when we spoiled that whole scheme with two goals, am I the only one who thinks the refs started to crack down even more? Almost as if they eventually realised we were gonna win, but didn't want it to be a blowout for Toronto?

cmonureds
06-01-2008, 06:35 AM
That article is bullshit. Sure, LA was short-handed; but so was Toronto. Sometimes I really hate this fucking league. The Galaxy get the exposure and the praise from the commish and his cronnies and all the special privileges; while the rest of the teams in the league are treated as second-class entities. Makes me fucking sick to my stomach.

And look at the match summary. LA has no misconducts while we're given 3 cautions! It really looks like the game was trying to get thrown in LA's favour, doesn't it? And when we spoiled that whole scheme with two goals, am I the only one who thinks the refs started to crack down even more? Almost as if they eventually realised we were gonna win, but didn't want it to be a blowout for Toronto?

Just to play devil's advocate here, stating that LA were "short-handed" was accurate in the sense that they really don't have any other striking options without Becks and Little-Whiny-Thinning Guy. And yes, MLS are desparate to showcase LA as these players have such huge international profiles so there is some media/officiating collusion. As for that linesman in front of the west stand, he was surreal. He took his streamers like a man, tho, gotta say....

jabbronies
06-01-2008, 11:17 AM
And yes, MLS are desparate to showcase LA as these players have such huge international profiles so there is some media/officiating collusion.

Here's the problem with this...You showcase a team that only has three players on the team, the rest are just fillers.

Now the Media's attention are on this team - "oh this is the MLS flagship team, lets cover these guys"

Problem is, when the three amigos are not in the lineup, you have a bunch of jobbers on the field...

now the media is like "Wow, MLS flagship team is shite...I guess the rest of the league is just as shite"

In the end, it hurts us more than it hurts the Galaxy...Cos now we can't persuade players to come and play here!

Pinkie
06-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Hey guys according to this article we were in the US for the game.....
*ahem* i quote

cmonureds
06-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Here's the problem with this...You showcase a team that only has three players on the team, the rest are just fillers.

Now the Media's attention are on this team - "oh this is the MLS flagship team, lets cover these guys"

Problem is, when the three amigos are not in the lineup, you have a bunch of jobbers on the field...

now the media is like "Wow, MLS flagship team is shite...I guess the rest of the league is just as shite"

In the end, it hurts us more than it hurts the Galaxy...Cos now we can't persuade players to come and play here!

doh, you're right! I hadn't thought of it that way. Garber should just make a DVD of TFC support at home to help convince them otherwise... :D

noochie
06-01-2008, 07:28 PM
"The game got really hard for us to play on this turf with all they rain and I think it showed," Gullit said. "Toronto is used to it and with us it was hard to adjust to the circumstances. It gets really frustrating when a ball lands half a step in front of you and then its gone."

Pass the tissues. What was our excuse for a rock hard pitch in 100+ degree weather? Oh I remember now... we won that game :)

tfc_4_ever
06-01-2008, 07:30 PM
"The game got really hard for us to play on this turf with all they rain and I think it showed," Gullit said. "Toronto is used to it and with us it was hard to adjust to the circumstances. It gets really frustrating when a ball lands half a step in front of you and then its gone."

Pass the tissues. What was our excuse for a rock hard pitch in 100+ degree weather? Oh I remember now... we won that game :)

So true. These guys are all whiny bastards:)

Northern Soul
06-01-2008, 07:52 PM

Exactly. Whiners. And the article is crap. How about "TFC were without Carl Robinson, Tyrone Marshall, Amado Guevara, Laurent Robert, and Greg Sutton and still kicked the crap out of the Galaxy."

Razcle
06-01-2008, 08:01 PM

Yha the MLS is fucked up in that regards...you have to let the teams do the talking. DCU deserves to be a primere club because season after season they bring it....let the play on the field over the course of time determine who the powerhouse clubs of the MLS are....

kdzb
06-01-2008, 08:31 PM
That's why we don't need the help of the commish or the American media to be successful.
The world is not blind and our success is not a given we earned it on the field.
It's too bad that everytime we win they mention the turf...I'm sure that we will kick their asses regardless.
It's a shame that an ex footballer superstar like Gullit goes that low in his comments by mentionning that they lost because they couldn't adjust to the surface and we won cuz we are used to it. how lame is that. He couldn't take it like a man and admit defeat and that his team was a no show.
If Robo, Guevara, Dichio, Robert were playing, it will be an embarassing 6 - 0
This is just the beginning, TFC is here to collect hardwares and we will be the golden team of the MLS in the years to come. Mo and Carver are going to be here for a long run and other teams in MLS will look at us with envy.

Roogsy
06-01-2008, 08:40 PM
The only non-American team collecting all the American hardware....oh baby...it gives me a chubby.

ACSertL
06-01-2008, 10:38 PM
CP24's ticker also read 'Beckhamless Galaxy'

Get Websters on the phone:

Beckhamless

adjective
1. Without Beckham
2. Lame media excuse to cover up the complete futility of the Los Angeles Galaxy

syn: hopeless, inept, shite football squad

Origin 2008

Footie-11
06-01-2008, 11:17 PM
all these excuses
TFC were missing 6starters.

Cashcleaner
06-02-2008, 12:23 AM
CP24's ticker also read 'Beckhamless Galaxy'

Get Websters on the phone:

Beckhamless

adjective
1. Without Beckham
2. Lame media excuse to cover up the complete futility of the Los Angeles Galaxy

syn: hopeless, inept, shite football squad

Origin 2008

Quoted for truth, AC. I usually like City TV, but I've noticed that they talk more about LA and Beckham then they do Toronto when we face them. CBC, Sportsnet, The Score, and
all the other channels (both sport-focused and not) generally keep the emphasis on TFC.

twistedchinaman
06-02-2008, 12:31 AM

We could've blown it wide open.

- Cunningham, if he had better aim, could've put us up 1-0 in the 1ST MINUTE
- Ditto again on that missed feed in the 2nd half
- Same for the Jerrod Smith one.

If you ask me, it could've been a lot worse than 2-0.

The Galacraps are like the Chelsea of MLS, except Chelsea doesn't get special favours. Or do they...? :noidea:

twistedchinaman
06-02-2008, 12:33 AM
The only non-American team collecting all the American hardware....oh baby...it gives me a chubby.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. But yes, watching Brennan lift the Alan would be a great sight to see.

And you can probably imagine how excited Nigel Reed would be when the final whistle goes...sorry Nigel, had to get that one in there. :p

Cashcleaner
06-02-2008, 12:46 AM
We could've blown it wide open.

- Cunningham, if he had better aim, could've put us up 1-0 in the 1ST MINUTE
- Ditto again on that missed feed in the 2nd half
- Same for the Jerrod Smith one.

If you ask me, it could've been a lot worse than 2-0.

The Galacraps are like the Chelsea of MLS, except Chelsea doesn't get special favours. Or do they...? :noidea:

Oh for sure! If but for a few feet/inches here and there, we could have seen a scoreline of 3-1 or even put up 4 goals against LA! Don't tell that to Jeff Bull, one of the Big Soccer bloggers, though. He had the temerity to figure LA was the stronger-looking team on the pitch.

Eastend
06-02-2008, 07:27 AM
I guess I read this article differently because I didn't read any bias in it. Sorry! Oh, and it did mention that we were also missing players to international duties, they just didn't name them.

The University of Connecticut graduate, James took advantage of his opportunity to play, due to Toronto also losing players with international competition.

Chevy
06-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Hey guys according to this article we were in the US for the game.....
*ahem* i quote

Now we know why a lot of fans show up late for the game!

noochie
06-02-2008, 08:52 AM
I guess I read this article differently because I didn't read any bias in it. Sorry! Oh, and it did mention that we were also missing players to international duties, they just didn't name them.

The University of Connecticut graduate, James took advantage of his opportunity to play, due to Toronto also losing players with international competition.

Check the title again: Toronto cruises past shorthanded Galaxy

Besides... it is not just one article... or one media outlet, it is all of them. I wish one sporting media outlet in this country had the balls to report on the match and not the sideshow that is Beckham. Especially in Toronto where clearly we don't need him to sell tickets.

stretchthetruth
06-02-2008, 02:47 PM

There were definitely some phatom offside calls made in the 2nd half, one in which Cunny was a full 2 steps onside... We were talking about what seemed to be a crackdown in our area of 110...

Billy the kid
06-02-2008, 03:12 PM
I didn't think the article was that bad, I do find it amusing that Gullit likes to blame the wet turf instead of the crappy depthless team he coaches.

iansmcl
06-02-2008, 11:44 PM
Exactly. Whiners. And the article is crap. How about "TFC were without Carl Robinson, Tyrone Marshall, Amado Guevara, Laurent Robert, and Greg Sutton and still kicked the crap out of the Galaxy."

You missed Brennan and Dichio. Add in the fact that we were playing a formation that we're unused to. Add Tebily was injured within 20 minutes. Oh, there's a lot of birds flying into the stadium too... so add in that Bitchy isn't doing her job.

I hate LAG.

twistedchinaman
06-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Oh for sure! If but for a few feet/inches here and there, we could have seen a scoreline of 3-1 or even put up 4 goals against LA! Don't tell that to Jeff Bull, one of the Big Soccer bloggers, though. He had the temerity to figure LA was the stronger-looking team on the pitch.

I've said it once, and I'll say it again:

BigSoccer is known as BS for a reason.

ensco
06-02-2008, 11:55 PM
Here's the salaries of the starters on the field (in thousands). I used James instead of Tebily, and of course Ruiz's $460K isn't in there, because he came on late (and was useless).

The journalists are right - by the numbers, LA was hurt more than we were, in that the payroll of the team they fielded was only half of ours.

But they've missed the point. it's a stark statement on:

(i) how the structure of their team is flawed - 3 players should never be half the cap, and
(ii) their poor record of player acquisition - where's their inexpensive impact player (ie a Jarrod Smith)? do they still think Sean Franklin should have been taken 5 picks ahead of Julius James?

The team they fielded was an utter joke.

Steve Cronin $75
Mike Randolph $33
Greg Vanney $92
Troy Roberts $33
Edson Buddle $157
Alvaro Pires $111
Joe Franchino $50
Alan Gordon $72
Sean Franklin $48
Brandon McDonald $13

Total LAG $684,000

Brian Edwards $45
Marco Velez $60
Kevin Harmse $72
Maurice Edu $157
Rohan Ricketts $150 (estimate)
Jim Brennan $165
Todd Dunivant $105
Marvell Wynne $150
Jarrod Smith $18
Julius James $36
Jeff Cunningham $257

Total TFC: $1.25 million

Roogsy
06-03-2008, 12:04 AM
What does Jarrod Smith make???

:eek:

Cashcleaner
06-03-2008, 12:46 AM
^ Not enough. The league and players really have to stamp out a new contract.

Fiin
06-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Here's the salaries of the starters on the field (in thousands). I used James instead of Tebily, and of course Ruiz's $460K isn't in there, because he came on late (and was useless).

The journalists are right - by the numbers, LA was hurt more than we were, in that the payroll of the team they fielded was only half of ours.

But they've missed the point. it's a stark statement on:

(i) how the structure of their team is flawed - 3 players should never be half the cap, and
(ii) their poor record of player acquisition - where's their inexpensive impact player (ie a Jarrod Smith)? do they still think Sean Franklin should have been taken 5 picks ahead of Julius James?

The team they fielded was an utter joke.

Steve Cronin $75
Mike Randolph $33
Greg Vanney $92
Troy Roberts $33
Edson Buddle $157
Alvaro Pires $111
Joe Franchino $50
Alan Gordon $72
Sean Franklin $48
Brandon McDonald $13

Total LAG $684,000

Brian Edwards $45
Marco Velez $60
Kevin Harmse $72
Maurice Edu $157
Rohan Ricketts $150 (estimate)
Jim Brennan $165
Todd Dunivant $105
Marvell Wynne $150
Jarrod Smith $18
Julius James $36
Jeff Cunningham $257

Total TFC: $1.25 million

Agreed, but jesus, by that, if they field Becks thats 5 million which is double our entire starting 11 payroll lol.

ensco
06-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Agreed, but jesus, by that, if they field Becks thats 5 million which is double our entire starting 11 payroll lol.

He would only count for $400K on the above chart

Oldtimer
06-03-2008, 08:07 AM
You know LA is in trouble when Buddle is the top player fielded.:eek6: