PDA

View Full Version : Guevara's Backwards Instincts

Calvin
05-14-2009, 09:07 PM
There were a number of times, in the Impact game, where Guevarra receaved the ball facing the montreal net and turned backwards. This twice happend when he either had a clear run or shot on goal.

Someone I was sitting with said that they are trained to look backwards first in Latin America, as great a player as he is, this unsuccessful fancy footwork really cost us on wednesday.

Roogsy
05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
There were a number of times, in the Impact game, where Guevarra receaved the ball facing the montreal net and turned backwards. This twice happend when he either had a clear run or shot on goal.

Someone I was sitting with said that they are trained to look backwards first in Latin America, as great a player as he is, this unsuccessful fancy footwork really cost us on wednesday.

Yes, to a degree this has to do with his style of play. Not just in "South America" but rather when you are trying to play "possession" football. Sometimes, it is a little frustration watching that style of play because the first instinct is not to press forward as hard as possible but rather to setup passing lanes between each other. Watch the leagues that play this style and you will see. It's about incremental advantage as opposed to rolling the dice with long plays.

With these styles, you have to take the good with the bad, if you want a player that has those skills, you have to accept that this is the way they play. Hopefully, Cummins can help mix things up where sometimes they do a little more pressing than possession. There is never a perfect balance.

As for the footwork...Guevara isn't exceptional but he is well above average in skill. You can't really call it "unsuccessful" because of the fact that it's very nature is to risk overturning the ball in favour of creativity. Sometimes it turns out, sometimes it doesn't.

EAsoccer
05-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Guevara has a possession first style of play, but I find it hard to see how his foot work cost TFC when they won.

Calvin
05-15-2009, 01:05 AM
goal differential can be HUGE in a 3 team tournament.

watching this makes me feel warm

http://torontofc.neulion.com/tfc/console.jsp?catid=2&id=669

ensco
05-15-2009, 06:34 AM
Well it's better than what Carl Robinson does, his general instinct in traffic is to belt the belt 50 yards high and 10 yards forward

Oldtimer
05-15-2009, 08:06 AM
The best teams in the world play a hybrid style of possession and pressing attack.

TFC can benefit from having players from both styles of play.

C.Ronaldo
05-15-2009, 08:16 AM
reminds me national team portugal.

80% possession 1-1 game :(

ryencoke
05-15-2009, 08:19 AM
Guevara has a possession first style of play, but I find it hard to see how his foot work cost TFC when they won.

Agreed, but I think what he's trying to get at is the Guevara is taking too many touches

How many plays were there where you were screaming at them to shoot last game where instead they just passed the ball again?

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2009, 08:30 AM
I was disappointed at that decision as well. I wouldn't go as far as to say Guevara will never shoot. He's had some blinders but that particular play you described had me gnashing. He was so close to the the box he could've just had a go.

Still, as was mentioned, we were up and it didn't cost us the game.

ryencoke
05-15-2009, 08:36 AM
I was disappointed at that decision as well. I wouldn't go as far as to say Guevara will never shoot. He's had some blinders but that particular play you described had me gnashing. He was so close to the the box he could've just had a go.

Still, as was mentioned, we were up and it didn't cost us the game.

We could have very easily walked away with more goals that game, not just from Guevara *cough* Barrett *cough*

My worry going into the away stretch is that we are going to get screwed over on the differential

Beach_Red
05-15-2009, 08:37 AM
With these styles, you have to take the good with the bad, if you want a player that has those skills, you have to accept that this is the way they play.

It seems the same for Vitti.

Looking at this optimistically, the more these guys play together the better it will be. It was frustrating to see Guevara lose the ball and also to see Vitti make one move too many, but think about the potential in another 10-15 games....

Fort York Redcoat
05-15-2009, 08:51 AM
It seems the same for Vitti.

Looking at this optimistically, the more these guys play together the better it will be. It was frustrating to see Guevara lose the ball and also to see Vitti make one move too many, but think about the potential in another 10-15 games....

I'm with Beach and think they can all synch up and start blasting goals and help us shoot up the table (well, the single table).