PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Southampton Striker Stern John to TFC?

DOMIN8R
05-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Old story/rumour resurfaces. But now has links to Toronto.

John has had offers to return to cross the Atlantic from one player who was a genuine Ashton Gate (http://content.thisis.co.uk/bristol07/Bristol%20City%20Map/bristolcity.html) favourite.

Canada international left-back Jim Brennan has remained a firm friend of John's since their time together with Nottingham Forest and is now with Toronto FC.

"Jimmy and myself will always be friends," said John, who scored 96 goals in 65 internationals.

"We'll always stick together. I spoke to Jimmy online and he keeps talking about me going back to the MLS. I fancy going back there, but not just yet. I want to play in England for another season or two."

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/John-deal-didn-t-work-admits-Bristol-City-boss-Johnson/article-986719-detail/article.html (http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/sport/John-deal-didn-t-work-admits-Bristol-City-boss-Johnson/article-986719-detail/article.html)

H Bomb
05-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Stern John played for Blues in the Championship and Prem for a few years. Has a natural scoring touch but is a little frustrating at times....like a very good Colin Samuel without being as big. I'd take him in a second.

Heathen
05-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Stern John played for Blues in the Championship and Prem for a few years. Has a natural scoring touch but is a little frustrating at times....like a very good Colin Samuel without being as big. I'd take him in a second.

he's a hero for the play-off semi goal v Millwall and the last minute equalizer at Villa Park

pubboy
05-14-2009, 07:15 PM
He played for Coventry as well in the Championship. At times, had some great touches and poached some goals, but very frustrating player - inconsistant and a bit insecure (i.e. the corwd turned on him). Might not be too bad in MLS though.

Lennon
05-14-2009, 07:20 PM
Hey he can't be worse then Barrett ... bring him in!

(as long as he's not our DP)

djcuse
05-14-2009, 07:30 PM
Loved watching Stern John play for Trinidad...

Would love to see him in a TFC kit!

InTheCrowd
05-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Another oldie...... :(

brad
05-14-2009, 07:41 PM
He'd be returning to the MLS. Any weird MLS rules that would get in the way?

FluSH
05-14-2009, 07:46 PM
Hey he can't be worse then Barrett ... bring him in!

(as long as he's not our DP)

Barrett is coming along... yeah he missed two opportunities on Wednesday, but that goal was a world class strike.

Lennon
05-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Barrett is coming along... yeah he missed two opportunities on Wednesday, but that goal was a world class strike.

He's just a hard working Cunningham imo ... I don't have much faith in him

I wonder if Wynne is going to get another shot upfront ...

InTheCrowd
05-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Besides last game, Barrett's the only one getting chances. I'm still behind Barrett. Better a striker who can get a lot of chances and miss most of them than a striker who gets 1 or 2 chances a game that theu probably won't sink.

Shakes McQueen
05-14-2009, 08:31 PM

I wonder if Wynne is going to get another shot upfront ...

Comparing Jeff Cunningham to Chad Barrett isn't fair to Barrett at all.

Cunningham's one big problem, was that he didn't work. At all. Cunny wouldn't have had the chance to miss some of the strikes Barrett has had, because he wouldn't have helped create those chances in the first place.

Barrett's wonder-strike was also the goal that stood between 3pts and 1pt for us last night, while no one else was hitting the back of the net. And yet I don't see players like Vitti getting 5% of the flack Barrett gets.

If Barrett nailed all of his good chances, he wouldn't be in MLS.

- Scott

Lennon
05-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Well he is our main central striker .. he should be getting most of the chances ...

And another thing ... Barrett isn't the only one creating chances ... creating a good shot on goal is a team effort ... and far too often the team has put it on a plate for Barrett only for him to choke when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net

Shakes McQueen
05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Well he is our main central striker .. he should be getting most of the chances ...

And another thing ... Barrett isn't the only one creating chances ... creating a good shot on goal is a team effort ... and far too often the team has put it on a plate for Barrett only for him to choke when it comes to putting the ball in the back of the net

Then why hasn't Vitti been getting the golden opportunities Barrett has?

With the exception of last night, Barrett hasn't been our central forward since Cummins took over. He's been playing out wide, pretty much as a winger.

- Scott

Lennon
05-14-2009, 08:39 PM
Vitti hasn't been around as long as Barrett has and only made 5 starts so far so I'm still on the fence with him ...

Lennon
05-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Anyway when we got Barrett he was supposed to be our #1 guy and he's never really played like one ...

Kaz
05-14-2009, 09:04 PM
With the jewels we have in Frei and Cronin I want to see what O'Brian White has in him when he get healthy and fit. And I'm beting Mo and MLSE is gonna hold off until we see what happens come late June early July.

Right now if Barrett can find the back of the net enough to give us 10-12 points in the next 7 weeks I'll be happy.

InTheCrowd
05-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Anyway when we got Barrett he was supposed to be our #1 guy and he's never really played like one ...

Last season he was our #1 striker by a long shot. He had the second most goals on our team at the end of the season (I believe) and he had the highest goals per game ratio on the squad. Even this season, he has been our most effective striker. Yes it hurts when he misses golden opportunities, but it hurts even more when we don't get any golden opportunities at all.

TFC USA
05-14-2009, 09:26 PM
Cue the "Mo has a woody at the sound of a player playing in a British league to TFC" talk. :D

How do I put this?

NO!

TorontoBlades
05-14-2009, 09:28 PM
Stern John?

Sounds like a hooker's worst night mare :)

InTheCrowd
05-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Cue the "Mo has a woody at the sound of a player playing in a British league to TFC" talk. :D

How do I put this?

NO!

Stern John?

Sounds like a hooker's worst night mare :)

Two....... amazing........... comments!

:flare:

BuSaPuNk
05-14-2009, 11:15 PM
Vitti hasn't been around as long as Barrett has and only made 5 starts so far so I'm still on the fence with him ...

I think the problem with Vitti is he looks for the pass first. He had some glaring chances in the montreal game and didn't take the shot. He looks to distribute the ball first and by the time he knows he can't make the pass the gets closed on in and can't do anything with the ball. I know this might be more because of the way he played with Indepentiente but he has to start just letting them go as soon as he touches the ball within the box. :hump:

Brooker
05-15-2009, 12:21 AM
MLS Appearances 55, Goals 44.... 10 years ago, though.

are you high?

Cunningham was the laziest player we've ever had.

VPjr
05-15-2009, 01:03 AM
Flush, that wonder strike was pure horseshoes up his ass. I hope he bought a 6/49 ticket last night because he probably woke doing the "happy dance".

Vitti's problem is quite simple. The coach is misusing him. He is wasted out wide while a player with half his talent is up front. He is a #9 style player, not a winger.

Barrett gets SO much more service than Vitti, its not even funny.

The team doesn't even know how to get the ball to Vitti in the spots where he wants the ball. So many times i see him present himself for the pass but his teammates either don't see it or they specifically swing the ball cross field.

Vitti works his ass off (like all Argies do). When Vitti was up front last night, he was looking very dangerous but the Marvell had to go and get hurt so that Rooney jr could get back in the game.

I'm glad he scored but I will never, ever rate Barrett as anything more than a mediocre MLS striker who needs 10 opportunities to net one goal.

No matter what confidence he might have created after scoring that goal got washed away when he blew those two huge chances, especially the breakaway which was the most pathetic display I've ever seen from a professional. How could he not even try a slight stutter to try to get the GK to commit early. brutal.

prizby
05-15-2009, 01:13 AM
"Jimmy and myself will always be friends," said John, who scored 96 goals in 65 internationals.

love to know who came up with these numbers???

96 goals in 65 internationals...ok???

Ossington Mental Youth
05-15-2009, 01:43 AM
i do agree with Vitti being misused and id like to see him as the CF over Barrett next game (or soon anyways) so he can prove himself

Shakes McQueen
05-15-2009, 01:49 AM
i do agree with Vitti being misused and id like to see him as the CF over Barrett next game (or soon anyways) so he can prove himself

I think Vitti was misused last game, as I think Barrett should have moved out wide when he got subbed in, not Vitti.

What I'd really like to see, is Vitti try taking some ranged strikes on goal - like the cracker that beat us in that friendly when he was still with Independiente. He tries to skip through the defense a little too much sometimes, and tends to pass when he should be trying to shoot.

- Scott

werewolf
05-15-2009, 01:59 AM
love to know who came up with these numbers???

96 goals in 65 internationals...ok???

Trinidad's Gerd Muller! :flare:

Its actually 107 games, 69 goals. Not quite the same, but certainly respectable, even against CONCACAF.