PDA

View Full Version : Sam Cronin

TFCREDNWHITE
05-14-2009, 08:25 AM
I wanted to give this Phenom his own thread....Why?.....Because he is a monster out there!

Seriously though, Sam Cronin is playing way beyond my expectations! His skill on and off the ball is awesome! His soccer IQ is great!! He can defend, run at players, cross, stand tall and create space! This kid has it all!! and he's young!!

I think he is not getting the applause or recognition he deserves from us, that's why he gets a thread!!

How many people think he is gonna be the next multi-million dollar transfer target!? personally I think his soccer IQ and skill is equal to and maybe even better than Edu's...

The poll is just for fun BTW...:)

boomcha
05-14-2009, 08:28 AM
I agree, young Sam Cronin has played like a champ for us. Impressed more and more every game.

Stouffville_RPB
05-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Way to early for this dude.

He's played what 10 games and you're already selling him to Europe.

rocker
05-14-2009, 08:41 AM
he has a nice technique on his long passes.. the ball floats so nicely in the air to his teammate. last night he had a long diagonal in the air to DeRo towards the southeast end and Dero took it down so sweetly.. it was a thing of beauty. the only person who's impressed me with balls like that at BMO was Beckham. not to say he's that good with the ball, but for MLS he's far above average.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Way to early for this dude.

He's played what 10 games and you're already selling him to Europe.

Well i'm no Professional Talent Scout, but I have watched this kid with a very close eye...Just like i have with Edu....barring any career ending injuries, this kid is gonna go to some big places if he keeps it up.

Just watch his movement, and how he creates everything for himself. He is the one that creates everything that comes his way...Its very pleasing to watch

Waggy
05-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I dont think he's ready yet, but in a few years (possibly less), I wouldn't be surprised to see him off on his way. Especially if say, John Carver was in some sort of decision making role somewhere. Like, say, Newcastle?

Eli_Cash
05-14-2009, 09:02 AM
Sam Cronin's soccer IQ and skill is definitely better than Edu's. Obviously you can make the argument that Sam Cronin is playing better because the players around him are at a different level than when Edu was here. However, it seems as though Sam has been playing consistently well and Edu would have a couple good games followed by a few bad ones. I understand its definitely still early to completely assess the comparison but its a little observation I've had since OP brought it up. I just hope he stays longer than Edu did.

I voted for Bundesliga.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Sam Cronin's soccer IQ and skill is definitely better than Edu's. Obviously you can make the argument that Sam Cronin is playing better because the players around him are at a different level than when Edu was here. However, it seems as though Sam has been playing consistently well and Edu would have a couple good games followed by a few bad ones. I understand its definitely still early to completely assess the comparison but its a little observation I've had since OP brought it up. I just hope he stays longer than Edu did.

I voted for Bundesliga.

True.

Pachuco
05-14-2009, 09:26 AM
Sam's the man. I didn't realize how much I've started to like him until he looked like he might be hurt in the second half yesterday (on the red card foul). My first thought was NOOOOOOOOO.

pepher
05-14-2009, 09:32 AM
been a fan since game one and hope to see him stick around for as long as possible. he's a treat to watch on the field. Keep it up Sammo!

Stouffville_RPB
05-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Well i'm no Professional Talent Scout, but I have watched this kid with a very close eye...Just like i have with Edu....barring any career ending injuries, this kid is gonna go to some big places if he keeps it up.

Just watch his movement, and how he creates everything for himself. He is the one that creates everything that comes his way...Its very pleasing to watch

I don't disagree on any particular point. Just saying that 10 games is a small sample to already label them as Europe bound.

Jack
05-14-2009, 09:44 AM
He'll need some callups to the USMNT before he goes anywhere.

Stryker
05-14-2009, 10:14 AM
Sam's not going anywhere for a couple years.
He's great, but still has a long way to go.

Roogsy
05-14-2009, 10:17 AM
I think the USMNT would be stupid not to look at this kid. Do what Cummins has done here and put him beside Edu in front of the back 4 and you will have a stalwart defense for years!

fetajr
05-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Cronin the Barbarian will go to Germania

http://www.ibabuzz.com/insider/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/conan.jpg

Roogsy
05-14-2009, 10:22 AM
CRONIN THE BARBARIAN!!!!!! I LIKE!

This needs a banner...

TorCanSoc
05-14-2009, 10:25 AM

That's money! Make it so!

zeelaw
05-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Too early, but I see bundesliga

zeelaw
05-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Cronin the Barbarian

Bingo, there is the nickname. Well done!

jabbronies
05-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Permiership. His style of game would fit in there best.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Cronin the Barbarian!!

Nice i love it!

Sonny Cheeba
05-14-2009, 10:55 AM

WHAHHAHAHAHAHAH i'm dying dude. dying.

Gazza_55
05-14-2009, 10:59 AM
MLS - Cronin isn't going anywhere. He'll be in TFC red for 10 years.

T_Mizz
05-14-2009, 11:14 AM
I think this is way too early plus he's not as good or as young as Edu I think/hope that he'll be the type of player that is a perennial allstar here but never makes the jump to Europe, like DeRo, I think with the new CBA coming up we may see this become a possibility, assuming the cap raises significantly.
PS Cronin the Barbarian?!?!?! That is Magic, sir I am kicking myself and everyone else on the board, and at the stadium for never thinking ofthat gem its just taking out a "t" and you've got it, well done.:D

rocker
05-14-2009, 11:17 AM
I think this is way too early plus he's not as good or as young as Edu I think/hope

Cronin is younger than Edu by about 8 months.

one point on Edu.... Edu came in during a weaker rookie class, and probably shone brighter because of it. No way Cronin wins rookie of the year, that's for sure... but if Edu had arrived along with Cronin, Frei, Pontius, Zakuani, Gonzalez, etc., does he get the notoriety that he did? I wonder.
Edu was always hyped a bit more than I thought he deserved.
Solid player, but inconsistent. And in his second year with TFC he contributed less than his first year.

TorontoBlades
05-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Better Poll:

Who gets sold to Europe first - Cronin or Frei?

Roogsy
05-14-2009, 11:30 AM
Frei for sure.

T_Mizz
05-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Cronin is younger than Edu by about 8 months.

one point on Edu.... Edu came in during a weaker rookie class, and probably shone brighter because of it. No way Cronin wins rookie of the year, that's for sure... but if Edu had arrived along with Cronin, Frei, Pontius, Zakuani, Gonzalez, etc., does he get the notoriety that he did? I wonder.
Edu was always hyped a bit more than I thought he deserved.
Solid player, but inconsistent. And in his second year with TFC he contributed less than his first year.
Hmm I thought Edu was 21 when we sold him but he was 22 so Cronin being sold now would be the same thing. Also for some reason I thought that Cronin was 23, maybe we may belooking at Cronin being sold in the near future. But I still stand by the timing of the new CBA helping us keep our good younger players, Cronin, Nana, and hopefully Frei but that may be a long shot if he keeps performing like this.

T_Mizz
05-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Frei for sure.
True its not much of a question Frei is just an absolute beast, he could possibly be the best keeper in th league at only 23, as the Chi W. Sox announcer would say "He gone!"

maninb
05-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Cronin is WAY WAY WAY better than Edu.....smarter and more skilled...He can't move to Europe until he meets the Int'l requirements and plays on the US Mens team....at least 2 years away....

Hitcho
05-14-2009, 11:36 AM
MLS - Cronin isn't going anywhere. He'll be in TFC red for 10 years.

Amen to that brother.

Hopefully Frei will be too. Or maybe 15 years given he's a keeper!

Roogsy
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Cronin is WAY WAY WAY better than Edu.....smarter and more skilled...He can't move to Europe until he meets the Int'l requirements and plays on the US Mens team....at least 2 years away....

True...I forgot about that. That's good! Means he will be with us for the next couple of seasons. All the more reason to believe Frei will be gone first. He has his Swiss passport.

trane
05-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Cronin will go to Europe, were who knows. But he is a better all around player then Edu, I can see him developing in a Pirlo type player, playing deep at the back as a DM put carrying the ball up to start the attack and create, Arteta plays like that for Everton, I love what I have seen in him as a player. Suprised for a NCCA player.

Inklink
05-14-2009, 12:20 PM
Maybe he'll pay for the grass? ;)

TFCREDNWHITE
05-14-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure why Cronin hasn't gotten the nod from the USMNT in the last 3 months...

The kid is pure class all the way!!

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-14-2009, 12:31 PM
why would we sell Cronin ? He has played 10 game's and is our furture, so i would say this poll is point less.

Luanda
05-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Well, one thing is certain. Those who questioned MoJo's draft picks and, worst still, those who adamantly stated that TFC can not build through the draft are being proved wrong with Conin, not to mention Frei. And we have not yet even seen White in action, who could well emerge into the polished striker that we are still in desparate need of.

Pachuco
05-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Well, one thing is certain. Those who questioned MoJo's draft picks and, worst still, those who adamantly stated that TFC can not build through the draft are being proved wrong with Conin, not to mention Frei. And we have not yet even seen White in action, who could well emerge into the polished striker that we are still in desparate need of.

True. How's that Omar Gonzales working out in LA anyways? hahaha. Not so good from the last I read.

TFCREDNWHITE
05-14-2009, 12:57 PM
why would we sell Cronin?MONEY He has played 10 game's and is our furture=MONEY, so i would say this poll is point less. Are you saying that MONEY is pointless??

:p:p:p:p

Yohan
05-14-2009, 01:02 PM
True. How's that Omar Gonzales working out in LA anyways? hahaha. Not so good from the last I read.
that kid's been heart of LA defence this year... though it's Donovan Ricketts saving Galaxy's ass practically every game

Toronto_Bhoy
05-14-2009, 01:09 PM
He'll need some callups to the USMNT before he goes anywhere.

It won't be long Jack.

This boy is head 'n shoulders above Eblu.

Jack
05-14-2009, 01:10 PM
It won't be long Jack.

This boy is head 'n shoulders above Eblu.
No question he's good.

I hope we keep him for a few more years, but I suspect two seasons and he'll be sold.

billygrieveuk
05-14-2009, 01:12 PM
I voted, only because i think Cronin has played amazing so far.
I want players like Edu and Cronin to say with Toronto, to help us win trophies...we wont need a dp if we keep guys like him.

Anyway, voted for rangers, ftc! ;)

prizby
05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
Cronin and Frei for shared ROY

I am surprised I am the only one to vote for La Liga so far...Personally, I see alot of Julian de Guzman skills in Cronin, and I think he'd be a great fit in La Liga since just about every team need a holding midfielder to compete...Getafe or Osasuna would be my bet.

Yohan
05-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Cronin and Frei for shared ROY

I am surprised I am the only one to vote for La Liga so far...Personally, I see alot of Julian de Guzman skills in Cronin, and I think he'd be a great fit in La Liga since just about every team need a holding midfielder to compete...Getafe or Osasuna would be my bet.
you need to pay attention to what Chris Pontius and Rodney Wallace is doing in DC

IMO Pontius > Cronin right now. that boy is so clutch for DC

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-14-2009, 01:40 PM
I wanted to give this Phenom his own thread....Why?.....Because he is a monster out there!

Seriously though, Sam Cronin is playing way beyond my expectations! His skill on and off the ball is awesome! His soccer IQ is great!! He can defend, run at players, cross, stand tall and create space! This kid has it all!! and he's young!!

I think he is not getting the applause or recognition he deserves from us, that's why he gets a thread!!

How many people think he is gonna be the next multi-million dollar transfer target!? personally I think his soccer IQ and skill is equal to and maybe even better than Edu's...

The poll is just for fun BTW...:)

His level is way beyond edu's even at this point in his career!

Too bad we will lose him in the near future!

prizby
05-14-2009, 01:58 PM
you need to pay attention to what Chris Pontius and Rodney Wallace is doing in DC

IMO Pontius > Cronin right now. that boy is so clutch for DC

I am bias :P

BFin
05-14-2009, 03:07 PM
If he keeps getting hit in the nuts with the ball, hes not going to want to stay in the MLS. lol

iansmcl
05-14-2009, 03:22 PM
Cronin should take the corners and maybe some free kicks too.

cougars732
05-14-2009, 04:13 PM
MLS needs to think of itself more.
Instead of selling every talent to Europe it should dish out the cash and keep the talent here. Other wise MLS will never be on the same level as the top leagues.

Jack
05-14-2009, 04:18 PM
MLS needs to think of itself more.
Instead of selling every talent to Europe it should dish out the cash and keep the talent here. Other wise MLS will never be on the same level as the top leagues.
It doesn't make sense from an economic standpoint for MLS to dish out the cash. Not yet and certainly not at the levels of the big leagues in Europe.

jloome
05-14-2009, 04:33 PM
We need a new poll on who goes when.

My bet is:
1. Frei
2. Nana
3. Marv Wynne
4. Cronin

All four have the potential to be big-league players, although Marvell - surprisingly to me - seems to need more work than the other three. Can't see MLS keeping any of them much beyond two or three seasons more.

Attakora has looked like the real deal every time he's stepped on the pitch for us. I believe I was mocked roundly last year for suggesting, after he'd made two appearances, that he could be playing in Europe shortly.

trane
05-14-2009, 06:04 PM
^ Agreed, on everything, I also agreed with you on Nana last year and now. I was just suprissed that they waited so long to use him this year.

This can realy work for our club in two ways. We can be known as the place to play to get the exposure which will then get you to Europe. Clearly this would attact tallent. The second way is more direct, money to improve the club in terms of players and faciliets (GRASS).

jloome
05-14-2009, 06:14 PM
^ Agreed, on everything, I also agreed with you on Nana last year and now. I was just suprissed that they waited so long to use him this year.

This can realy work for our club in two ways. We can be known as the place to play to get the exposure which will then get you to Europe. Clearly this would attact tallent. The second way is more direct, money to improve the club in terms of players and faciliets (GRASS).

The real danger to me is that Cummins won't be here long if we keep selling players to Europe -- in Europe, his reputation is that of a player development whiz; he just got a 235,000-pound sell-on clause fee for discovering and developing Ashley Young.

There will be a lot of assumptions that this year's crop is a result of his work, although obviously Mo was pulling the trigger.

Waggy
05-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Hey, as long as Mo can keep finding talent in the draft, I don't care who the coach is, we'll always be ok. Selling Cronin in 2 years, especially to a bigger club (and I think he'd go in a MUCH bigger deal than Edu), will only help to again raise both TFCs profile, the MLS's profile. And it'll also show we have talent here. The only way to keep talent long run is to prove we have it short run. Sounds oxymoronic but bear with me. Say Cronin goes to Bundesliga and plays well off the bat. Earns the starts and helps his club win games there. All of the sudden, clubs start looking at us for finding talent (means the prices per player go up), and agents will start saying to the athletes "Hey, these guys have some skill, its a legit league over there". And we'll have the money to pay for them. It'll be a slow process, but every succesful transfer helps. For my money I'll be SHOCKED if Frei is here at the end of next season. And if Cronin is still here the season after that I'll be just as shocked. With an extra 12-15 million in our coffers, we HAVE to be looking at at least gras, if not a roof and maybe some other frills

H Bomb
05-14-2009, 06:39 PM
I dont think Cronin will leave for many years. He's not in a typical position for movement to Europe (Mo Edu was unusual), and he needs many international games. I'm glad to say I think he will be a star in the MLS for many years, with TFC of course

H Bomb
05-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Also while Cronin the barbarian is a very nice turn of words it might not represent this guy too well :D

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1578

Kaz
05-14-2009, 08:16 PM
I just want to say, that with Edu, being a member of Generation Adidas and being pimped by the league helped him move. I don't see Cronin going anywhere, for a while, I think Edu was an exception to the rule rather then the norm.
Frei if a better candidate for trade down the road.

That being said both he and Attakora are just bringing a smile to my face this year. (it's nice to see a Canadian coming into his own)

druid
05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I don't think Celtic or Rangers would take him.

Celtic are after a young Scottish attacking mid and already have a young defending mid they're trying to break in.

Edu hasn't exactly set the heather alight and it could be a political risk for Rangers to sign another young TFC midfielder.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-14-2009, 08:41 PM
The real danger to me is that Cummins won't be here long if we keep selling players to Europe -- in Europe, his reputation is that of a player development whiz; he just got a 235,000-pound sell-on clause fee for discovering and developing Ashley Young.

There will be a lot of assumptions that this year's crop is a result of his work, although obviously Mo was pulling the trigger.

i see what youre saying but on the same hand its hard to get players to sign to your team when you refuse to sell them off to higher teams/higher leagues. I think we will be a selling team/league for a while but its a matter of keeping our players for longer than a season and a half before selling them. I do think Frei will be the first to go but i think he will be here next season before we sell him off. Keepers tend to stick around longer in the MLS. We need to convince kids that we are a stepping stone (until the league is the real deal) and that a couple of seasons (if not more) in the MLS isnt a bad idea

ensco
05-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Cronin-Magnon Man

T_Mizz
05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
That's an actual rule? I had no idea such restrictions were in place?

Gazza_55
05-14-2009, 10:14 PM

Are you reading Ben Knight?

rocker
05-14-2009, 10:47 PM
That's an actual rule? I had no idea such restrictions were in place?

well you gotta get a work permit to play... Edu got it because he'd been on the national team enough. Cronin hasn't.

T_Mizz
05-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah I just don't get why there's a connection like the gambians on our team they aren't capped, unless youth teams count in which case I'm very surprised Cronin was never selected

sully
05-15-2009, 03:13 PM
can I vote don't sell him? or that's not an option?

Waggy
05-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Also while Cronin the barbarian is a very nice turn of words it might not represent this guy too well :D

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/picture.php?albumid=119&pictureid=1578

Holy shit! Anyone watch Summer Heights High?! (if not you should)
Tell me he isn't this guy http://www.abc.net.au/tv/summerheightshigh/#home

Dirk Diggler
05-16-2009, 02:17 PM
LOL yeah ... he does look like Mr.G in that picture.

T_Mizz
05-16-2009, 02:35 PM
^OMG great find he totally does

jloome
05-16-2009, 04:04 PM
i see what youre saying but on the same hand its hard to get players to sign to your team when you refuse to sell them off to higher teams/higher leagues. I think we will be a selling team/league for a while but its a matter of keeping our players for longer than a season and a half before selling them. I do think Frei will be the first to go but i think he will be here next season before we sell him off. Keepers tend to stick around longer in the MLS. We need to convince kids that we are a stepping stone (until the league is the real deal) and that a couple of seasons (if not more) in the MLS isnt a bad idea

I agree, but the risk is that because he has euro citizenship and doesn't need a work permit, a team will try to snag him immediately as a development for their long-term keeping needs (i.e. a big club, like United or Chelsea, where he doesn't have pressure to be a regular starter for another three or four years.)

If someone large comes in for him on a developmental basis, it's unlikely the deal will be something TFC can afford as a business to turn down.

Davenport
05-16-2009, 05:55 PM
I would say nowhere on today's performance.

iansmcl
05-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Yeah I just don't get why there's a connection like the gambians on our team they aren't capped, unless youth teams count in which case I'm very surprised Cronin was never selected

Canada has different work permit regulations than other countries. As far as I know, ours are very lax, while in Europe they aren't.

Red CB Toronto
05-17-2009, 01:03 PM
I think if Cronin wanted to play in Europe right out of the gate he could have it just would have not been where he would have liked, Norway, Sweden would have been there, so it is all relative to when you consider getting a real offer from Euruope.

The requirements for a visa to play in England are quite confusing sometimes, a majr players have run into issues getting a Visa due to the rule of playing in 75% of your countries games over a two year period, but in one instance Canadian Simeon Jackson who is playing for Gillingham has never capped for the red and white.

jmorgs88
05-17-2009, 01:20 PM
cronin has been great for us but i feel he is a bit to small at the moment to make the move to europe, i could see him continuing his career in the mls for years to come

Stryker
05-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Cronin, like everyone else, played like ass yesterday.

Jack
05-17-2009, 03:08 PM
I think if Cronin wanted to play in Europe right out of the gate he could have it just would have not been where he would have liked, Norway, Sweden would have been there, so it is all relative to when you consider getting a real offer from Euruope.

The requirements for a visa to play in England are quite confusing sometimes, a majr players have run into issues getting a Visa due to the rule of playing in 75% of your countries games over a two year period, but in one instance Canadian Simeon Jackson who is playing for Gillingham has never capped for the red and white.

Simeon has family over there and he went over when he was younger. Read his Wikipedia page.