PDA

View Full Version : Post-Match: Toronto vs. Montreal

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2009, 09:00 PM
Have at it!

Player Ratings:

Frei (6.0) - Wasn't tested at all in this game, but his distribution was good.
Attakora (8.0) - Was solid as a rock tonight. Lots of good defensive play, and no major mess-ups. Made some good runs on the attack too.
Serioux (9.0) - My man of the match. Was also solid as a rock, and bailed out a few mistakes by Velez. Tons of great passes. An all around class performance.
Brennan (7.5) - No major errors, but lost the ball cheaply a few times moving forward. A mostly invisible performance, which isn't a bad thing.
Guevara (8.0) - His free kicks were all terrible, but he and DeRo were running the middle third of the pitch.
De Rosario (8.5) - Another great performance from DeRo. Had one great shot go off the bar, and made a handful of dangerous runs. Subbed.
Cronin (8.0) - Similar to Guevara. Lots of good runs, and also had a clanger off the bar. Really impressed with the kid again.
Wynne (6.0) - Didn't last long before leaving with a hamstring injury. Probably for the best, as he wasn't doing much. Subbed.
Vitti (7.0) - Some good footwork and passing, but once again, it never lead to much. Another game without a goal, but no substantial errors to speak of. Average.
Barrett (first 70 mins) (9.0) - His goal was AMAZING, and he had a handful of terrific shots that were close. Probably our most dangerous attacking player, along with DeRo.
Barrett (last 20 minutes) (2.0) - Yikes. Had a 1v1 with the keeper, and didn't do anything with it. Had a couple of other opportunities, that were squandered.
Harmse (6.0) - Nothing great, nothing disastrous.

- Scott

tfctillidie
05-13-2009, 09:03 PM
it's a good win for the boys...i thought we should've buried most of those chances though

Redcoe15
05-13-2009, 09:06 PM
VICTORY!!! I'll take it over the L'impact anyday!

SilverSamurai
05-13-2009, 09:07 PM
WHOO!! The Voyageurs Cup is TFCs to lose at this point.

But Barretts multiple misses needs to be addressed...

kitchener-TFC
Very nice performance. The score should've been approx 5-0. I'm curious what the ball possession was.
3 points from the Tabernacks!

ThunderTundra
Yeah, the finishing was a little off, luckily we didn't need it. The midfield played pretty solid. There was alot of nice passing going on in little fits and spurts, you can tell the team is starting to get mechanically better. We just need to lay those balls in the net, we could have won that game 5-0.

All in all, great win, great game, we are in great shape in the tourney!

Nerepis
05-13-2009, 09:09 PM
excellent!! I will wake up tomorrow with a smile on my face and not know the reason why, but then after a second or two it will hit me, "I support a winning team." :scarf:

manic.street.preacher
man, we were just pouring it on tonight, should've been up at least three goals ... great to see all that lovely passing and possession though ... MoM for me is Barrett for sure, minus that brain fart on the break away, he was doing it at both ends for us and his work is finally starting to pay off and i'm glad that i never jumped on the hater band wagon. close runner up is Serioux though, he's a beast and i take back all the bad things i ever said about him.

TFC USA
Limpdicks fell over dead. We should've put up 5 goals. We put up 1 and hit the post 3 times. And of course, that embarrassing miss from Barrett (who ends up winning a game for us).

All in all, I should be bittersweet about this win. But we looked like a great team out there. Let's bring the goals and play again three days from now!

dannyd
05-13-2009, 09:12 PM
Game Stats
Montreal Impact Toronto FC
Total Shots: 3 16
Shots on Goal: 1 8

wow... the only worrying thing about this game is all those chances weren't converted. One day it's gonna haunt us...

Aroundtheworld
05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Dominant performance! Too bad the score line doesn't reflect it, but that will come.

I think Chad showed today that he has incredibly talent. The goal was phenomenal. He just needs to get his head fixed so that he plays great every game.

woolly
05-13-2009, 09:14 PM
I would like to add two thumbs up for the roving camera crew. They couldn't keep the camera on the ball, they cut to the wrong camera at the worst possible moment and the endline camera guy was lurching like a drunk on a binge.... But they found time to seek out and show a nice bevy of beutiful woman at the game.

And we won.

kitchener-TFC
05-13-2009, 09:15 PM
i take back all the bad things i ever said about him.
Shun the one who said bad things about Serioux.:scarf: SHUN!

Lucky Strike
I only managed to catch the last 15 minutes plus stoppage time. I tried to record it with Real Player on the Internet but it conked out when I was watching my Penguins (who won the series!).

My big question is: why was Wynne taken off on the 16th minute?

Nerepis
I think that pasting the Limp act took from Santo Laguna at the end of that game last year changed them, They are not the same team!

Mojo
If we lose now then it is our destiny to never be CCC champs. That game should have been 80-0.

What was the big banner that everyone was working on? Didn't see it! I wanna know!

ecospice
05-13-2009, 09:17 PM
I only managed to catch the last 15 minutes plus stoppage time. I tried to record it with Real Player on the Internet but it conked out when I was watching my Penguins (who won the series!).

He had a hamstring injury - nothing serious apparently.

manic.street.preacher
05-13-2009, 09:17 PM

^tight hamstring, taken off as a precaution

jwfm1985
05-13-2009, 09:19 PM

Hamstring injury. By the way, since you tuned in late, Wynne was playing striker! I shit you not!

Lucky Strike
05-13-2009, 09:19 PM
He had a hamstring injury - nothing serious apparently.

Thanks, I hope it turns out to be nothing.

P.S. I obviously won't be doing player ratings tonight since I missed most of it. Apologies to those who were looking forward to it. I'll be back for the Chicago game this Saturday.

manic.street.preacher
05-13-2009, 09:21 PM
Shun the one who said bad things about Serioux.:scarf: SHUN!
^lol i know eh ... when we first signed him my thought were that if serioux and harmes were gonna be our CBs, then we'd drown in cards and play one man down for half the season ... i'm so glad to be proven wrong

Lucky Strike
05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
By the way, since you tuned in late, Wynne was playing striker! I shit you not!

So that explains why Barrett replaced Wynne, boy was I confused on that one.

manic.street.preacher
05-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Hamstring injury. By the way, since you tuned in late, Wynne was playing striker! I shit you not!
^that experiment didn't last long eh? ... i wonder if we'll see it again though

Inklink
05-13-2009, 09:27 PM
TFC needs to institute some sort of technology that replaces Barret with someone else ... anyone else. .. when he's on a breakaway. Like, Cummins presses a button and Barret suddenly is replaced by KingDave who goes on and finishes the play off with a goal. :D

gtaguy
05-13-2009, 09:37 PM
the boys played well tonite.. im alittle upset at the chances they did have that could not be converted.
however i believe that we won outright.. The intensity that toronto put forth this evening shows that they want to win this cup and continue on to the next round...
Last year was a misstep for toronto not really putting thier full value in this cup .
however this year they are making sure we go the distance..

Thankyou barret for the beautiful strike that got us the game..
It seems that when i finally leave the stands and go looking for beer you always score.. so from now on im leaving my seat more often..

ecospice
05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
TFC needs to institute some sort of technology that replaces Barret with someone else ... anyone else. .. when he's on a breakaway. Like, Cummins presses a button and Barret suddenly is replaced by KingDave who goes on and finishes the play off with a goal. :D

Wouldn't that be something. They could use the same technology to hopefully do something about the beer lines and washroom lines...

TFC07
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
TFC won, but they need to convert their chances. TFC should have won like 4-0 against Impact and Whitecaps.

But the good news is that TFC won both of their home games. :scarf:

ag futbol
05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Just a general comment, when you make those rankings, usually the way most people would score it a six is the average score for a player on a team that wins the game by the type of margin we did today. 9 & 10 saved for really great performanes otherwise the best player gets something like an eight.

Just my two cents .

Lucky Strike
05-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Just a general comment, when you make those rankings, usually the way most people would score it a six is the average score for a player on a team that wins the game by the type of margin we did today. 9 & 10 saved for really great performanes otherwise the best player gets something like an eight.

Just my two cents .

If that was directed at me, that's pretty much the approach I take. I haven't given out a 9 or 10 yet.

Chevy
05-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Have at it!

Player Ratings:

Frei (6.0) - Wasn't tested at all in this game, but his distribution was good.
Attakora (8.0) - Was solid as a rock tonight. Lots of good defensive play, and no major mess-ups. Made some good runs on the attack too.
Serioux (9.0) - My man of the match. Was also solid as a rock, and bailed out a few mistakes by Velez. Tons of great passes. An all around class performance.
Brennan (7.5) - No major errors, but lost the ball cheaply a few times moving forward. A mostly invisible performance, which isn't a bad thing.
Guevara (8.0) - His free kicks were all terrible, but he and DeRo were running the middle third of the pitch.
De Rosario (8.5) - Another great performance from DeRo. Had one great shot go off the bar, and made a handful of dangerous runs. Subbed.
Cronin (8.0) - Similar to Guevara. Lots of good runs, and also had a clanger off the bar. Really impressed with the kid again.
Wynne (6.0) - Didn't last long before leaving with a hamstring injury. Probably for the best, as he wasn't doing much. Subbed.
Vitti (7.0) - Some good footwork and passing, but once again, it never lead to much. Another game without a goal, but no substantial errors to speak of. Average.
Barrett (first 70 mins) (9.0) - His goal was AMAZING, and he had a handful of terrific shots that were close. Probably our most dangerous attacking player, along with DeRo.
Barrett (last 20 minutes) (2.0) - Yikes. Had a 1v1 with the keeper, and didn't do anything with it. Had a couple of other opportunities, that were squandered.
Harmse (6.0) - Nothing great, nothing disastrous.

- Scott

You forgot Velez (which for a defender is a good thing)

tlear
05-13-2009, 09:54 PM
:flare:I cant stop grinning like an idiot.. LIMPACT got completely dominated, those CONCACAF CL games are going to be SWEET :) :p :):scarf::flare::drum:

Stencils
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Just watched the highlights on TFC tv since I had to leave midway through the 2nd half.

Clear cut chances on goal are a lot harder to engineer than working on your finishing. That's just practice and talent. So, just like CC, I'll worry when we stop creating great chances (that said, get those boys working HARD on their finishing, coach!).

Barrett's goal was top-drawer and the game winner. He MADE that goal happen, he wasn't given a chance and then managed to get it right - he actually crafted that goal. Let's keep him, huh?

profit89
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Tic Tac, Tabernak..................

Beach_Red
05-13-2009, 09:57 PM
^that experiment didn't last long eh? ... i wonder if we'll see it again though

The way Attakora is developing, yes we might see Wynne tried in different positions.

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2009, 10:00 PM

Just my two cents .

Player ratings are just totally personal opinion - there isn't really a general rule for them.

I think Serioux and Barrett (pre-70') put in especially fantastic performances tonight, so I gave them a 9. A 10 I would save for a hat trick performance, or a great performance coupled with a timely goal.

Those shots by Cronin and DeRo go a hair to the left, and suddenly we have a blowout score - we dominated Montreal completely. It was like playing FIFA 09 on rookie difficulty. I've never seen TFC so completely dominate a team before, in terms of possession, and pressure.

That deserves some high ratings.

- Scott

Fushida
05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
5:07 of the game in 6 min. i replayed that about 5 times... still burns in my mind. but barrett's goal was amazing... kudos for that. go figure he finishes all the hard ones but not the easy...

T_Mizz
05-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Good call on the Barrett separation Shakes, it was really a tale of two strikers today the barrett with the strike and the barrett with the missed 1 v 1

billyfly
05-13-2009, 10:08 PM
Just got back. Man I was nervous thinking they'd tie it up after so many misses by Barrett but thank all that is holy - WE WON!

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2009, 10:09 PM
5:07 of the game in 6 min. i replayed that about 5 times... still burns in my mind. but barrett's goal was amazing... kudos for that. go figure he finishes all the hard ones but not the easy...

I think Barrett operates best when he doesn't have too much time to think.

- Scott

Lucky Strike
05-13-2009, 10:11 PM
While we now have a big advantage in the CCC, for instance:

a) if Montreal and Vancouver draw both their matches against each other, the title is ours without having to do anything else
b) a win by each side (Montreal and Vancouver) means TFC only has to get 1 point from the last 2 matches

Obviously, there are more scenarios, but those are just examples. But let's not count our chickens before they hatch, we have to close this out. Still though, I've allowed myself to be somewhat psyched.

billyfly
I know this is a public board but I heard there were quite a few fights and ejections in section 104 tonight. ONLY Toronto fans.

dag
At one point in the second half, a guy behind me said it seemed like possession was 90%-10% in favour of Toronto. Did Montreal even show up?

Having said that, these 1-nil games are too nervewracking - the opposition always has the opportunity of evening the score.

Could TFC please please please send Barrett to a sports psychologist. That guy's head is completely messed up.

A great victory, but only a few days rest until Saturday. I was glad we used all three substitutes (even if the first was hardly ideal), especially to give De Ro and Guevara some much needed rest.

GBV
05-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Just got back. Man I was nervous thinking they'd tie it up after so many misses by Barrett but thank all that is holy - WE WON!

that breakaway miss -- EMBARRETTSING ! ! ! !

Steve
05-13-2009, 10:22 PM
WHOO!! The Voyageurs Cup is TFCs to lose at this point.

But Barretts multiple misses needs to be addressed...

Haha, yes! thank you, I didn't need to wait long for that.

You see, as i left the stadium I laughed, and told me brother that I bet this board would STILL be negative about Barrett. That, despite the fact that he scored an amazing goal, a goal he created for himself, and THE GAME WINNER he would STILL be ragged on for not finishing more.

It's getting to be ridiculous to be quite honest.

Whoop
05-13-2009, 10:23 PM
Sitting in 112 I saw/didn't see the goal completely. I just knew that Barrett scored.

I couldn't believe he missed the one on one, but looking at the replay of the goal, quality strike so I can forgive his misses.

billyfly
05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
I think we all recognize that Chad scored and it was a great goal. The general issue of his misses can't be overlooked though.

Steve
05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
I think we all recognize that Chad scored and it was a great goal. The general issue of his misses can't be overlooked though.

Let me tell you something. If Chad puts a goal like that in every couple games, and misses 5 a game, I'll be happy. Chad will never finish all of his chances, if he did, he would be scoring at least a few goals every game. You aren't being realistic. The only bad miss today was his breakaway. He tried to go around the keeper, it didn't work, and he worked to get the ball back into play.

Essentially, complaining about a stiker who scored a wonder goal (and game winner) is one of the strangest things I've seen.

Whoop
05-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Like someone else said I think Barrett`s problem is when he has too much time to think. He`s good in turn and shoot situations and he`s actually not a bad playmaker on account of his speed.

windsorlad111
05-13-2009, 10:31 PM
What's nice is to finally to have players who are taking shots on goal from outside of the area instead of the two years of trying to walk it into the goal.

Barret deserves respect. Boy done good.

also, anyone enlighten me on this banner that was made. I don;t think I saw it. I did see a quality Quebec licence plate banner at the end. Nice!

Shakes McQueen

You see, as i left the stadium I laughed, and told me brother that I bet this board would STILL be negative about Barrett. That, despite the fact that he scored an amazing goal, a goal he created for himself, and THE GAME WINNER he would STILL be ragged on for not finishing more.

I'm pretty well established as a supporter of the qualities Barrett brings to our team, but man.... you have to admit that miss was atrocious. If Vancouver scored a goal, suddenly that miss becomes huge.

I give Barrett props for tonight. His strike was gorgeous, and he worked his ass off again, creating tons of chances. I think his positive qualities are really shining through in this new formation under Cummins.

But he's a striker. He needs to finish easy 1v1's like that. They will eventually come back to haunt us. That's not piling on Barrett, it's just giving an honest assessment.

- Scott

T_Mizz
I think we should all know what is to be expected of Barrett by now, shouldn't we? that was everything I ever expect from him an awesome goal and multiple misses can we still really be surprised?

billyfly
I am not complaining about his goal. I am saying that his misses are EPIC (you can't deny that.) I am not even criticizing the win (rule 1: never criticize the win)

Whoop
05-13-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah Chad can be frustrating at times but if he scored on over 50% of his chances, he wouldn`t be playing in the MLS anymore.

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Yeah Chad can be frustrating at times but if he scored on over 50% of his chances, he wouldn`t be playing in the MLS anymore.

Exactly. He would likely be in an EPL reserve team, because of his decent speed and impressive work rate.

- Scott

T_Mizz
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Whoopee has it 100% correct if it wasn't for his lack of finish we wouldn't be discussing this because he'd be in england now, in fact if he wasn't so good at getting chances he wouldn't even get this kind of criticism because his finishing problems wouldn't be as obvious. The fact is he is a very very good player off the ball and clearly Cummins and Carversee/saw that which is why he keeps playing

billyfly
05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Anyone else see Chris Pozinak at today's game?

Lennon
05-13-2009, 10:36 PM
Phew .. just got home ... amazing night for the supporters in 112 ... at least in rows 1-3 ... definately the best bounce I've ever heard and one of the best games I've ever attended

On another note ... Mo .. please sign a DP striker ... Barrett is like 2/50 in converting clear cut chances ... we should be winning these games convincingly instead of biting our naills till the final minute ...

bertal
05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
chad's goal was excellent. in my honest opinion vitti is terrible... serioux has a better work rate and more goals as well :/

Captain Croatia
05-13-2009, 10:38 PM
I dont even mind the misses after the goal Barrett scored, fucking wonderstrike.

Lennon
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Oh shit ... did Barrett score that goal? I missed it along w/ 80% of the south end ... we were doing our first Quest que vous chantes of the night and I got cought up in that ...

I still stand by my previous post though .. haha

Jack
05-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Tic tac tabarnaque!

Suds
05-13-2009, 10:40 PM
before we cut Barrett and put him out to pasture, let's remember he is tied with DeRo and Amado for a team leading 3 goals ... yes we want to see him convert more chances and he should (I get frustrated too) ... but are you going to take one of your leading scorers off the field? I guess I'm happy Cummins is picking the team :rolleyes:

olegunnar
05-13-2009, 10:41 PM

I wonder if TFC have a shrink.
He should be spending all his time giving Barrett happy thoughts.

billyfly
05-13-2009, 10:42 PM
Jack where you there tonight? Didn't see you?

rocker
05-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Montreal were the Limpest Act you could ever see... holy cow, I was getting bored at one point in the second half cuz TFC had TOTAL CONTROL and Montreal didn't even put up a fight.... I mean, come on, at least make it competitive... ! :)

Jack
Jack where you there tonight? Didn't see you?
112, row 3

I was at Shoeless before the game, but my bro gave me a ride home after, so I skipped the post game at Joe's

T_Mizz
Istand by the fact that barrett gets himself in position to get many many more chances than anyone else on TFC if not the MLS so I don't really mind his misss as much because he converts less of his more numerous chances

Yohan
05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
The Good
-WIN!
-Barrett's awesome good and overall game (minus that breakaway fuck up)
-Nana on RB. Great game!
-Serioux. The Predator eats strikers for snackies
-Overall possession and passing
-NEE really brought it. those guys have fun!

The Bad
-Only 1-0 win. Need to convert more chances into goals
-sitting in 104. i hate sitting down!

The Ugly
-scuffle in top of 104 leading to couple of ejections

The Awesome
-the tifo. holy shit best tifo I've ever seen, esp the license plate one. the massive one that got unfurled just before kick off was amazing too. good work all involved!

Gotta give credit to Montreal away supporters. Despite small numbers, they were chanting for most of the game. Some of them were pretty darn creative and made me lol.

bertal
05-13-2009, 10:46 PM
out of the whole team. dero probably has the best first touch compared to others, who have the touch of a dinosaur

quick ratings:
Barrett(9): suburb supersub goal
Barrett(5): 2nd half=abysmal for him
Guevara (6.7): SPEED IT UP BUDDY and put some of those chances away
Serioux (9.0): good game for him... some shoddy clearances none fatal
Vitti (5.0): pass the ball it's a team game, and please put the ball in the back of the net. this man fucking surprises me every game
DeRo(8.0): good team play. best first touch on the team

billyfly
^^^^That explains it...

Life is better when we win..oh ohhhhhhh

swan

i feel the same way...

Yohan
05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Oh yeah. Barrett celebrating his goal with sarcastic bow to Mtl supporters. lulz

does anyone have link to tonight's game yet?

GBV
05-13-2009, 10:49 PM
Istand by the fact that barrett gets himself in position to get many many more chances than anyone else on TFC if not the MLS so I don't really mind his misss as much because he converts less of his more numerous chances

but come on.
that one tonight would be scored 95 per cent of the time in a rec league.

T_Mizz
05-13-2009, 10:50 PM
out of the whole team. dero probably has the best first touch compared to others, who have the touch of a dinosaur

quick ratings:
Barrett(9): suburb supersub goal
Barrett(5): 2nd half=abysmal for him
Guevara (6.7): SPEED IT UP BUDDY and put some of those chances away
Serioux (9.0): good game for him... some shoddy clearances none fatal
Vitti (5.0): pass the ball it's a team game, and please put the ball in the back of the net. this man fucking surprises me every game
DeRo(8.0): good team play. best first touch on the team

I guess I agree with those but it see where I was I saw DeRo shoot way too many shots that were no where near the goal, I mean its not like Barrett but I expect better from Dero especially with the type of praise he always gets

billyfly
05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
How many balls does DeRo bring down from his chest??

Yohan
05-13-2009, 10:52 PM
also ref was shit.

i thought he missed two clear penalty calls, but i want to have a look at the game again before making further comments

T_Mizz
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
but come on.
that one tonight would be scored 95 per cent of the time in a rec league.
true enough but the keeper was better than a rec one and when you're in net and a guy comes in like that its a guessing game as to which way he goes, I suppose Barrett could've faked better but I just chalk it up to a lucky guess but I'm a Barrett's glass is half full kinda guy

Yohan
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
How many balls does DeRo bring down from his chest??
speaking of which, there was some really nice pinpoint passing to DeRo tonight. best passing for the entire game I've seen TFC make ever

torontocelt
05-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Barrett scored a wonder goal tonight, the best goal I have seen this season at BMO and Montreal also scored the best non goal I have seen at BMO ever. I must say though that Barrett's goal was a one in twenty strike for him, I bet he would miss it 19 times out of twenty. If he were to have missed that chance then it would have been yet another game where Barrett misses could have proved costly. He might work hard but he is a very poor finisher and his wonder goal wont change my opinion of that.

As for Vitti he is far from rubbish, he is an excellent dribbler but his final decision making is terrible at times. He really shoud learn to play it more simple especially his final ball, if he did then he would improve a lot. He is quite inconsistent at the moment and drifts in and out of games but the same goes for Amado. Both of these guys need to up their game, they have a lot of talent but they certainly do not maximise it. For the guys who reckoned Vitti was going to score 15 - 20 goals this season, can anyone se that happening now? By all accounts I think we will be lucky if we see even 5 goals, currently his overall return is simply not good enough.

rocker
05-13-2009, 10:59 PM
speaking of which, there was some really nice pinpoint passing to DeRo tonight. best passing for the entire game I've seen TFC make ever

Cronin made another one of those fine, long, diagonals to Dero down to the southeast end... and Dero's touch was amazing. A little play, but a beautiful one.

T_Mizz
05-13-2009, 11:01 PM
Well Torontocelt I'll have to respectfully disagree I've seen Barret convert many of those types of goals his problems are the easy ones leading me to believe that his troubles are all mental. I wouldn't say it is up there at 1 in 20 I would say about 1 in 3 he gets on net 1 in 5 he troubles the keeper and 1 in 7 he scores he seems to have that touch for turning nothing into something just as he has the touch to turn something into nothing

billyfly
05-13-2009, 11:02 PM
1 of main differences last/this year : the class of DeRo.

Did you see him telling LIMP ACT player SSSSSHHHHHH after the off-side goal?

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=13333

Jack
05-13-2009, 11:03 PM
DeRo shushing the Montreal bitch was the highlight of the season so far!

Markham_RPB
05-13-2009, 11:07 PM

Don't forget Barrett's bow towards the Impact' supporters after his goal too !

A great game tonight !

:drum:

egoodwin
05-13-2009, 11:13 PM
Brennan threw his jersey into 127 tonight

Dub Narcotic
05-13-2009, 11:29 PM

No kidding, shouldn't all these threads be about Vitti? Barret created tons of chances and won the game tonight.

Lennon
05-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Just saw Barrett's goal ... great strike ... with an awkward stumble ... loll ... wouldn't be Barrett without it :D

windsorlad111
05-13-2009, 11:51 PM

QFT highlight of the match for us

rocker
05-13-2009, 11:55 PM
Montreal may crash and burn to the bottom of the Nutrilite and the USL (well, they are already there ;)
They haven't won a game yet in the USL... looked like crapola tonight.. they have to play USL games Friday AND Sunday.. then they get to play the more rested Shitecaps on Wednesday of next week. Vancouver looked better at BMO than Montreal did...

BRed
05-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Man I had too much to drink..fucking Croatian friends..Great game all around, stadium sounded great although there was like 7 seperate chants going at once. DeRo classic TFC moment, write in the books and SHHhh...lol. What a wonderful world, tonight I will sleep like a baby, let's keep this RED ARMY marching!

rocker
05-13-2009, 11:57 PM
Limniatis says....

"We were nevertheless in the game the full 90 minutes, despite being short of one player."

you call that "in the game" eh? yeah, but you were only "in the game" in a mathematical sense... I would say for most of the game you were not "in the game" in a realistic sense, Limniatis!

Cashcleaner
05-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Game Stats
Montreal Impact / Toronto FC
Total Shots: 3 / 16
Shots on Goal: 1 / 8

wow... the only worrying thing about this game is all those chances weren't converted. One day it's gonna haunt us...

I don't want to sound cynical after such a great win tonight, but it is somewhat disappointing to see only one goal scored with 18 shots on net. I can think of two points in the game in which Montreal could have equalized or even took the win from us. I know the chances were slight given the overall quality we were showing on the pitch tonight, but you're right to think that eventually that sort of scenario could bite us in the ass.

twistedchinaman
05-14-2009, 12:16 AM
1/8 in hockey means a shitty powerplay.

1/8 shots on goal converted means we NEED TO FUCKING FINISH!!!!!

Mojo
05-14-2009, 12:17 AM
Anyone got any photos of the banners that you guys made last night? I saw the license plate one which was awesome but I heard there was another :)

Torcida
05-14-2009, 12:35 AM
I'm very happy we won, and we did play well but we need to get better at finishing. We were playing the team with by FAR the worst defence I have seen us play this year, absolutely atrocious defence, yet we barely won. I'm not even close to jumping on the Chad bandwagon because he still hasn't shown me that he is a good STRIKER. I already knew he had good shot technique and he will score some goals here and there because of that, but there are so many problems with his play. Almost everytime he holds the ball for a few seconds it results in a turnover, he has absolutely no finishing ability and he's awfully slow when dribbling (and to answer the "what about Dichio?" remember that they have different roles on the team).

Remember the first tie-breaker is goal difference and we had a massive oppurtunity (no pun intended) to gain a big advantage but like usual this season we were unable to convert on most of our chances...

Highlight of the night for me was when #9 on their team (don't care enough to find out who he is) taunted us in 110 and 111 because he thought he scored, what an idiot.

nfitz
05-14-2009, 12:39 AM
The licence plate was great! I was in 104 a bit below the Montreal supporters - and it was very visible!

Police appeared in 104 a couple of times over the night. Quite a few ejections - all Toronto fans - not quite sure what was happening up there.

I was very tempted to chant when the police passed "Where are your bikes!" ... but I feared they might not see the humour in that, and I didn't want to miss the end of the game.

Whoop
05-14-2009, 12:43 AM
It`s not an excuse, but how many games has TFC played over the last few weeks...

They`re due for a rest.

Roogsy
05-14-2009, 12:46 AM
^ For real...what a tough month for the players!

Whoop
05-14-2009, 12:49 AM
De Ro is still not 100%.

Wynne went down today, though I`m sure they took him out for precautionary measures.

Robbo is probably still sick, same with Serioux.

Dichio is still sick.

I was going to say more, but I will leave it that.

Blizzard
05-14-2009, 12:55 AM
Anyone else see Chris Pozinak at today's game?

Yes I did though I wasn't sure it was him. I'm glad to hear it confirmed by another pair of eyes. I saw him outside the stadium after the match. He looked like he was enjoying himself.

B

Torcida
05-14-2009, 12:58 AM
^ Is he out of a club?

Blizzard
05-14-2009, 01:10 AM
^ Is he out of a club?

No. He made enough appearances with Dundee to trigger a clause in his contract extending his deal for another year with Dundee although, apparently, he is available if anybody is interested according to this story.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2009/05/12/sportstory13123648t0.asp

A little birdie told me that he is training with TFC in order to stay fit for the Gold Cup!

Very cool of TFC to allow this IMO.

B

SmokedPanda
05-14-2009, 01:13 AM
i was listening to the game in my car after work on the Team 990 (i live in montreal) and their dumb broadcast announcers knew the team was going to lose so they started making excuses for the Limpact.

They said TFC had an advantage with the astro turf since the ball moves faster and our guys knew how to put back spin on the ball on certain plays which you can't do on grass. The limpact are not used to astro turf and it showed in their performace blah blah blah.

Flipityflu
05-14-2009, 01:17 AM
well, at least they knew they were going to lose.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-14-2009, 01:41 AM
I'm very happy we won, and we did play well but we need to get better at finishing. We were playing the team with by FAR the worst defence I have seen us play this year, absolutely atrocious defence, yet we barely won. I'm not even close to jumping on the Chad bandwagon because he still hasn't shown me that he is a good STRIKER. I already knew he had good shot technique and he will score some goals here and there because of that, but there are so many problems with his play. Almost everytime he holds the ball for a few seconds it results in a turnover, he has absolutely no finishing ability and he's awfully slow when dribbling (and to answer the "what about Dichio?" remember that they have different roles on the team).

Remember the first tie-breaker is goal difference and we had a massive oppurtunity (no pun intended) to gain a big advantage but like usual this season we were unable to convert on most of our chances...

Highlight of the night for me was when #9 on their team (don't care enough to find out who he is) taunted us in 110 and 111 because he thought he scored, what an idiot.

I agree with the majority of this but i do have to say that we did more than barely won, we dominated the game for great stretches. That being said our finishing capabilities leave alot to be desired.

Torcida
05-14-2009, 01:43 AM
I agree with the majority of this but i do have to say that we did more than barely won, we dominated the game for great stretches. That being said our finishing capabilities leave alot to be desired.
As in barely win, I am referring to the scoreline of 1-0. We were the dominant team without question.

Don Julio
05-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Save the goals for when they're needed. 1 more point and we're through. Success.

twistedchinaman
05-14-2009, 02:19 AM
Save the goals for when they're needed. 1 more point and we're through. Success.

Four, actually.

Hypothetically if either the Limpact or the Shitecaps sweep the next two games, they'd be on equal footing with us at six points.

If they DRAW both matches, then without a doubt we're golden and six points will be sufficient -- since 2 + 3 =/= 6.

If it's 1 draw and one win for the other side, it'd be 6-4-1 points wise. Then we would need a win (or a draw with the second placed team) to seal the deal.

If they split, then only a single point is necessary.

:scarf:

Cashcleaner
05-14-2009, 02:28 AM
As in barely win, I am referring to the scoreline of 1-0. We were the dominant team without question.

Agreed. Yes, it helped that had outstanding possession of the ball, but as it has been mentioned, the score is still 1-0. Montreal could have equalized or won from two chances I can think of off the top of my head.

Some insurance scoring wouldn't be a bad thing. And I don't mean that just for the NCC, but for league play as well.

GBV
05-14-2009, 06:05 AM
on the road: four games ... nine goals.
at home: seven games ... six goals.
haven't scored more than one in a game at home since last year.

Jack
05-14-2009, 06:14 AM
Lots of hypotheticals...

We won. Three points. That said, we still need someone who can finish those chances. We have needed this player since the beginning ofthe season and we still do.

Flipityflu
05-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Lots of hypotheticals...

We have needed this player since the beginning ofthe season and we still do.

we have needed this player since the first season :)

still, i'm looking on the bright side. that was the one of the nicest goals we have seen here.

Jack
05-14-2009, 06:51 AM

still, i'm looking on the bright side. that was the one of the nicest goals we have seen here.
Both statements are true. :scarf:

Stouffville_RPB
05-14-2009, 06:55 AM

He is playing out of position. TFC bring Barrett in and instead of putting Barrett on the wing the stick him in the centre and shift Vitti.

With Guevara pushing so far up Vitti had to drop back a little to cover.

Swap Vitti and Barrett and TFC win 2 or 3 nil. Vitti won't miss the breakaways or open shots inside the 18 yard box like Chad.

I would love to see Vitti play his natural position. We have the striker we are looking for in him we just don't see it because he doesn't get a chance to play where he can be most effective.

mclaren
05-14-2009, 07:30 AM
I thought Vitti was very good, excellent moving with the ball at his feet, runs at players, creates chances. No one else on our team has that kind of control with the ball (except perhaps Dero) and he works very hard.

SilverSamurai
05-14-2009, 07:38 AM

Im not denying it was a purdy goal he scored, because it was but he shouldve got at least 1 more. 1 on 1 vs. the keeper? that was his to lose!
But these 1 goal wins make me nervous. Missing chance after chance after chance will come back to haunt TFC against the Mexican squads...

Inswingingwingman
05-14-2009, 07:45 AM
Les Impacts n'ont pas d'impact.

Allez les rouges!

We could have run up the score but didn't want to embarass them more than having the ball 90 percent of the time.

And now someone let the cat out of the bag. Fieldturf is our secret weapon. We have figured out how to pass the ball forward and have it land and go backwards. Kewl.

Inswingingwingman
05-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Montreal forgot that you don't shoot the ball at the net, you hit a hand in the box. Shhh don't tell them. Whoops forgot, he was on the bench. And when he was on was the message, 'don't go in the box?'

Oldtimer
05-14-2009, 07:51 AM
My thoughts on the game:

Montreal's top players are below the level of TFC's. However, they play a very good system, designed to make your team move out of position and open up chances. Limniatis is doing very well with what he has to work with (mostly USL-quality players, with a few mid-to-low MLS-quality players thrown in).

However, TFC didn't take the bait, even once. I saw the players from time-to-time glancing to make sure that they were in proper formation. That I can only put down to good coaching. It's no coincidence that TFC is undefeated under Cummins. The substitutions and formation and adapting to changing conditions all show the signs of a good strategist. I thought Harmse in for DeRo was a particularly good (and gutsy) move, defending the lead and keeping DeRo fresh for the week-end. However, TFC didn't just bunker down (which would have given MTL a chance to come back), but kept pressing with Barrett and Vitti continuing to push, with some pushing coming from Harmse, as well. Playing DeRo on the wing works very well against these USL sides.

We should have scored at least 2 more, a bit unlucky on hitting the post. Working on finishing needs to be done (especially for Barrett), but the chances TFC creates are beautiful.

Serioux is a key player for us and has really firmed up the back-line. I'm not sure we would have won if he wasn't on the pitch.

Toronto made it look easy, keeping possession for most of the game, but the match was not as easy as it looked. One step out of formation, one slow defending against their rapid counter-attacks, and Montreal can punish you.

A good game, a great team effort. DeRo was amazing, he really changes our team's game.

S_D
05-14-2009, 07:56 AM
I have noticed an improvement in Barrett over the last couple of games. Yeah he blew that 1v1 and I agree he had too much time to think lol.

Earlier in the season he was missing the net entirely, going over the bar. In the last couple of games he has been getting more shots on on net. You can't score if you miss the net, but you at least have a chance of scoring when you do, or force the keeper to stop the ball leading to someone else scoring on the follow up.

MG42
05-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Here Chad, watch this and get some ideas for next time...that was brutaL :lol:

nhjxcKqFfLc

Inswingingwingman
05-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Montreal forgot that you don't shoot the ball at the net, you hit a hand in the box. Shhh don't tell them. Whoops forgot, he was on the bench. And when he was on was the message, 'don't go in the box?'

eustacchio
05-14-2009, 08:11 AM

and then DeRo shushed him...that was the highlight of the night

Beach_Red
05-14-2009, 08:14 AM

The difference between the first season and now, is that the rest of the team is better. This roster with a DP could go far. The first season team with a DP wouldn't have done much more than it did.

It's frustrating, but it's not unreasonable for the owneship to say, "Get the rest of the team in order, and THEN we'll put up the big money for a DP."

Well, the time has come.

deltox
05-14-2009, 08:21 AM
Ooooooooooooooohhhhh Twat. YOUR SHIT AHHHHHHHH

Suds
05-14-2009, 08:24 AM
However, TFC didn't take the bait, even once. I saw the players from time-to-time glancing to make sure that they were in proper formation. That I can only put down to good coaching. It's no coincidence that TFC is undefeated under Cummins. The substitutions and formation and adapting to changing conditions all show the signs of a good strategist. I thought Harmse in for DeRo was a particularly good (and gutsy) move, defending the lead and keeping DeRo fresh for the week-end. However, TFC didn't just bunker down (which would have given MTL a chance to come back), but kept pressing with Barrett and Vitti continuing to push, with some pushing coming from Harmse, as well. Playing DeRo on the wing works very well against these USL sides.

Toronto made it look easy, keeping possession for most of the game, but the match was not as easy as it looked. One step out of formation, one slow defending against their rapid counter-attacks, and Montreal can punish you.

I have to agree with these statements. While we did miss scoring chances, but I would be much more concerned if our formation, ability to control the game, and ability to change tactics throughout the game were poor. These would take much longer to fix if they were big issues.

rocker
05-14-2009, 08:36 AM
while people do rightly complain about missing scoring chances, the fact is our defense has been much better.

So we complain about missing chances, but what about the opposition? how do they feel about never scoring more than us? We gotta see this in a relative sense.

I forget if it was last year or 2007, but one year I studied the wins and losses of each team in MLS. I wanted to see how teams did in close games.

Well, the New England Revolution had an unbelievable # of close games. They never scored that much, but Steve Nicol had them winning lots and lots of 1-0 games.. and they never really got blown out either. Lots of ties and whatnot.
Then look at a team like Chicago this year. Most observers consider them one of the most talented teams in MLS.. they have a DP in Blanco and a sorta-DP in McBride... and guess what, they have tied 6 of their 8 games.

So my point is, yes, we'd love to score more goals, but we can't look at it in isolation. You look around, and the good teams don't go out there and consistently win 3-0 or 2-0. They scratch out wins and even the best often tie many games. That's life in MLS.

I think we just don't have the luxury to afford the kind of talent where we can be getting 3-0 wins.
So forget the scoreline or worries about "this will come back to haunt us later if we can't score." No, it won't haunt us, because every other team we play has exactly the same issue.
It's about balance of power, and in the end if we are getting the points, that's all that matters.

anto7
05-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I thought Vitti was very good, excellent moving with the ball at his feet, runs at players, creates chances. No one else on our team has that kind of control with the ball (except perhaps Dero) and he works very hard.
Totally agree with you here. Vitti brings a whole other dimension to the team called flare !. I do not care if he tries to beat one guy to many on occasions, the fact is that when he gets the ball I get excited of what he might do. I think he is gaining in confidence each game and when he finally gets a goal I believe he will absoloutely take off. The other thing I admire about him is is work rate, when he does lose the ball he is always willing to fight to get it back. The combination of Guevera and Vitta is getting better each game and makes for a much better brand of soccer than we have been used to. I really do not understand anyone who posts that "Vitti is rubbish".

Darlofletch
05-14-2009, 10:47 AM
For me, that was my favourite game of the year so far, very enjoyable. Shame that Wynne had to go off, i was interested in seeing how he works as a right winger.

Barrett had a great game aside from the one bad miss, so frustrating, i've been backing Barrett all season so was thinking it was great that he had an undeniably good game that no-one could complain about, and then he did that.

Still no goals for Vitti, but I thought he had a really good second half, not so much of his usual dribbling to nowhere, he made a lot of good things happen.

Wasn't impressed with guevara tonight, his free kicks and corners were awful, and too many times he was just too slow with his passing and killed the momentum of our moves. And a bad miss from the chance that Barrett set up for him.

Rest of the midfield and defence were very solid, gave frei an easy night.

Good atmosphere in the ground as well, even 224 was (compared to its usual standards) rocking.

:scarf:

bdiddy
05-14-2009, 11:09 AM
About Barrett:
Once again I'm not sure why so many people are hating on Barrett.

Yes he does miss a quite a few opportunties, but i'm not sure if you've noticed, a lot of his opportunities, he muscled, ran and fought his way through them. I haven't seen Vitti have many chances like that. Although I think Vitti is a great player, he's just a different style.

Barrett's strenghth and conditioning means he's in the right position to do the damage. He's just been a bit too inconsistent with his shots selection.

KRO
05-14-2009, 11:12 AM
The one thing that struck me last night was that they never resorted to "route one" football, ie hoofing the ball up the middle. They stuck to passing the ball around, even at the back, waiting for an opportunity. There were a couple of heart stopping moments but generally they executed well. Now if they could just take more of their chances when they come...

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-14-2009, 12:43 PM
About Barrett:
Once again I'm not sure why so many people are hating on Barrett.

Why let's see he has had like 10 - 12 1v1 with the keeper and only scored 1 so that's why people r hating on him.

Hooligan69
05-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Out far too late and awake far too early, but that's no surprise. Great time last night at the game and I'm happy we picked up three points from the Limp Act.

kodiakTFC
05-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Barrett is very frustrating but I'll let off on him because he scored that ridiculous goal.

billyfly
05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Anyone been on the MTL site to see what they are saying?

Jack
05-14-2009, 02:06 PM
Anyone been on the MTL site to see what they are saying?
They are bitching about the ref!

And of course they are making fun of our chants (LOL)

Generally I've read some bitter comments by sore losers who think that the cup is being handed to us by the refs.

Ha ha ha...

Hey, UM02: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Yohan
05-14-2009, 02:07 PM
link, Jack?

Jack
05-14-2009, 02:08 PM
Just google Montreal Ultras and hit their forum.

cmonyoureds
05-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Jeepers Murphy, people are still piling on Barrett? After the game he had last night? You deserve to have sat through the Cunningham regime.....

billyfly
05-14-2009, 02:33 PM
Wow. Surprised how french the UMo2 site is. Most Montrealers I know (including family)
speak and write frenchlish. I would have thought to see at least some English..

Glad I can still read French.

BTW - Always hated that clown pic.

EDIT: Now that I read more I am seeing the frenchlish

billyfly
05-14-2009, 02:36 PM
They are bitching about the ref!

And of course they are making fun of our chants (LOL)

Generally I've read some bitter comments by sore losers who think that the cup is being handed to us by the refs.

Ha ha ha...

Hey, UM02: Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

The funniest part of being on their site is trying to guess who's their equivalent to our guys. Like - whose their Mighty TFC 2008 or giambac etc...

Jack
05-14-2009, 02:39 PM
All of them? :noidea:

billyfly
05-14-2009, 02:47 PM
^LOL!

jloome
05-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Totally agree with you here. Vitti brings a whole other dimension to the team called flare !. I do not care if he tries to beat one guy to many on occasions, the fact is that when he gets the ball I get excited of what he might do. I think he is gaining in confidence each game and when he finally gets a goal I believe he will absoloutely take off. The other thing I admire about him is is work rate, when he does lose the ball he is always willing to fight to get it back. The combination of Guevera and Vitta is getting better each game and makes for a much better brand of soccer than we have been used to. I really do not understand anyone who posts that "Vitti is rubbish".

He's a hell of a player. I understand after his first year pro he was moved into the playmaking role behind the striker or strikers; I wonder why, though, as his scoring chances are limited by his massive support play -- he's nearly always free of his man and near the play offensively.

Be nice to see him in the central role up top, as he wouldn't be blowing any walk-arounds, I imagine.

Dozitwin
05-14-2009, 04:41 PM

Where does this one more point and we're through come into play.

Both Montreal and Vancouver have 3 games left to play do they not? If Vancouver wins their next 3 matches and we tie Montreal (getting our one more point) guess what....we're not through. The same is true for Montreal.

Let's be happy about the win but we can't sit back thinking we only need to tie one match to make it. Let's think we're going to dominate and sweep the entire tournament.

egoodwin
05-14-2009, 04:41 PM
The funniest part of being on their site is trying to guess who's their equivalent to our guys. Like - whose their Mighty TFC 2008 or giambac etc...
who's their kingpin/TiT?

nfitz
05-14-2009, 04:45 PM
Both Montreal and Vancouver have 3 games left to play do they not? If Vancouver wins their next 3 matches and we tie Montreal (getting our one more point) guess what....we're not through. The same is true for Montreal.But 2 more points and we are through! Though ironically, we could lose with 3 more points, especially with all the 1-0 wins.

Best scenario, a couple of ties in the next 2 matches between Vancouver and Montreal and we are through without playing another game! But Vancouver does seem to have trouble beating Montreal - not matter how much better Vancouver might be than Montreal.

Hooligan69
05-14-2009, 06:03 PM
Does anyone know what the attendance numbers were for the game last night?

EDIT - Nevermind. Found it. Attendance: 19,872, according to TFC website.

SweetOwnGoal
05-15-2009, 11:04 AM
A little late, but Sober Second Thoughts is up:
http://www.24thminute.com/2009/05/sober-second-thoughts-its-not-over.html

rocker
05-15-2009, 12:21 PM

i love Vitti. He just has so much more skill on the ball that most players in this league. I feel safe when he's got the ball, even when he's got 3 players on him. He has glue on his boots. He's determined, good tackler, not afraid to hit the fieldturf. good vision... sees defensive problems developing and seems to swoop in to steal the ball back. I wish he'd score a goal, not because I'm criticizing him for not scoring goals, but because I just want him to get what he deserves.

even that missed chance after Barrett's one-on-one with the keeper wasn't totally his fault, as the Limp Act player just got a boot under his as he was about to shoot, and they both fell down.

dinminister
05-15-2009, 06:11 PM
this is off topic but does anyone know where to go before or after the game to get autographs/meet players?

RealG-TFC
05-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Question: What section are the Toronto fans sitting in Montreal?

RealG-TFC
05-17-2009, 09:04 AM
anyone?