PDA

View Full Version : Paul James - Fired from GOL TV by John Carver?

bgnewf
05-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Found this on the Star's website today...thought it was interesting:

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2009/05/hebb-says-paul-notified-that-his-contract-wouldnt-be-renewed-mlse-had-several-people-on-staff-and-didnt-need-as-many-announc.html

If this is true it is disgraceful on the part of MLSE to treat anybody in this way.

If you take James' account of what transpired between him and Carver as true (and I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now) and that there was nothing to apologize for, then canning a great analyst for something like this speaks to some serious dysfunction within the management of our club. And there are a lot of lies, half truths, innuendos and the like coming from the front office to definitely give James the benefit of the doubt here.

I know some of you will say "...oh christ...here he goes again on Mo..." but I feel that if the leader of the team's football operations was a more honest and transparent individual in his dealings with others then a lot of the issues we as supporters have with how the club is run would not be happening. When the club's top dog is not honest, forthright or transparent in his dealings how can we realistically expect anybody else in the organization to be any better?

rocker
05-13-2009, 02:02 PM
Found this on the Star's website today...thought it was interesting:

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2009/05/hebb-says-paul-notified-that-his-contract-wouldnt-be-renewed-mlse-had-several-people-on-staff-and-didnt-need-as-many-announc.html

If this is true it is disgraceful on the part of MLSE to treat anybody in this way.

If you take James' account of what transpired between him and Carver as true (and I will give him the benefit of the doubt for now) and that there was nothing to apologize for, then canning a great analyst for something like this speaks to some serious dysfunction within the management of our club. And there are a lot of lies, half truths, innuendos and the like coming from the front office to definitely give James the benefit of the doubt here.

I know some of you will say "...oh christ...here he goes again on Mo..." but I feel that if the leader of the team's football operations was a more honest and transparent individual in his dealings with others then a lot of the issues we as supporters have with how the club is run would not be happening. When the club's top dog is not honest, forthright or transparent in his dealings how can we realistically expect anybody else in the organization to be any better?

"IF" is a pretty important word in your statement above.

perhaps James thinks Carver was the reason when it was not. I don't know.
I fired a guy once who thought I hated him personally, when really he just made mistakes.

perhaps he was not re-signed because he just wasn't a very good "TV person" (lacking energy, kinda boring, seemed like he didn't want to be there). He had a personality for a newspaper columnist or university professor, not a TV guy.

Just some alternatives to think about rather than jumping to conclusions.

Anyhow, once the "IF" part of the assertion disappears, then the rant can be made ;)

sully
05-13-2009, 02:10 PM
I hope that Paul James lands on his feet, but the article is a bit irresponsible I think. As far as I can tell, the author is linking one independent and speculative event with the non-renewal of a contract, and inferring that there's maybe a connection between the two.

Jack
05-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Seems like a bit of a stretch to me, Tim.

Cashcleaner
05-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I sprained my ankle walking to work yesterday. Is there anyway I can blame Carver for that?

bgnewf
05-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Seems like a bit of a stretch to me, Tim.

Maybe...Maybe not Jack

But to me this seems like the kind of thing that we have unfortunately come to see from a club that is managed by the kind of person Mo Johnston is.

bgnewf
05-13-2009, 02:23 PM
double post...please delete

Jack
05-13-2009, 02:25 PM
Maybe...Maybe not Jack

But to me this seems like the kind of thing that we have unfortunately come to see from a club that is managed by the kind of person Mo Johnston apparently is.
So you think Mo would put pressure on MLSE to can this guy?

Over a couple of comments? Seems like a lot, but I suppose it could be true.

Stryker
05-13-2009, 02:29 PM
Trying to put a face to the name and can't remember who he is.

Kevvv
05-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Which one is he, the older guy who was on the Footy Show couch sometimes, vaguely reminiscent of Lewis Black?

Phil
05-13-2009, 02:30 PM
I have found over the years that these guys in the media generally get moved around a lot regardless of what happened and what did not happen.

Stations shuffle without much notice. All companies do it, a friend of mine was laid off with the employer saying a week previous that he was fine to go out and make a major financial commitment. Companies don't care about people anymore.

rocker
05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
Which one is he, the older guy who was on the Footy Show couch sometimes, vaguely reminiscent of Lewis Black?

no, the smug guy

http://www.yorku.ca/sprtyork/interuniversity_sport/teams/soccer_m/images20052006/Paul%20James.JPG

you're thinking of Brian Budd... Budd was a TV guy.. he was the energetic loud one. He was over the top, probably too much, but that's better than being quiet, boring, and smug.

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Who is paul james???? Anyone Remember this game!?? :)

http://i5.tinypic.com/11rf87p.jpg

Kevvv
05-13-2009, 02:36 PM
no, the smug guy

http://www.yorku.ca/sprtyork/interuniversity_sport/teams/soccer_m/images20052006/Paul%20James.JPG

you're thinking of Brian Budd... Budd was a TV guy.. he was the energetic loud one. He was over the top, probably too much, but that's better than being quiet, boring, and smug.

Not who I was thinking of. Definitely not Budd, the guy I'm thinking of has been on the show in the last week or two.

rocker
05-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Paul James also did not return to the Score.
The Score has no connection to TFC.

canucker
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Maybe...Maybe not Jack

But to me this seems like the kind of thing that we have unfortunately come to see from a club that is managed by the kind of person Mo Johnston apparently is.

Why are you even implicating MoJo in this? The article clearly states that the theory was that James and Carver didn't get along. How do you not know that in that scenario Carver didn't go over MoJo's head and speak directly to Anselmi.

It seems far too easy on this board to just fling shit in MoJo's direction. Give the guy a break for a week at least!!

Jack
05-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Why are you even implicating MoJo in this? The article clearly states that the theory was that James and Carver didn't get along. How do you not know that in that scenario Carver didn't go over MoJo's head and speak directly to Anselmi.

It seems far too easy on this board to just fling shit in MoJo's direction. Give the guy a break for a week at least!!
Far too easy to post anything on a message board, including huge generalizations :D

canucker
05-13-2009, 02:54 PM
^^^^
Agreed!!

CretanBull
05-13-2009, 03:01 PM
I've always liked Paul James and appreciated his insights, but I think some questions need to raised about him and not whether or not a coach held a grudge against a media personality for a year and made sure that he was fired when his company bought the company that the media personality worked for.

When budget issues became a problem at the Score, James was let go in favour of Brian Budd. When Brian Budd passed away, James wasn't invited back. When James' new company was bought by a new company, he was picked out as the redundency. Like I said, I like James, I appreciate his insights and can't thank him enough for what he's done for our sport in Canada, but in my mind the way his career has gone in the past couple of years begs questions of him more than anyone else.

Beach_Red
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM

In one thread the problem is Mo didn't back Carver enough, in another his problem his that he got some guy fired because Carver didn't like him.

Do you think any of this actually has anything to do with Mo?

gtaguy
05-13-2009, 03:15 PM
i believe paul was at goltv since goltv entered Canada...

he was probably one of the more recognizable figures on the channel
Alot of passion for the game and his knowledge was tops..

Paul was the Canadian representative on the channel in my eyes.

I hope the Cmnt pick him up as a coach... I think he would be good for this position..

Bobo
05-13-2009, 03:22 PM
James is a cool guy, backed me up when I got booked for smoking inside BMO. He isn't really made for TV but he has some real footie knowledge. He didn't make himself sound like an idiot like Sharman and Budd (r.i.p) when talking about the sport outside of the EPL.

ensco
05-13-2009, 03:23 PM
It's impossible to evaluate this given the vagueness of the statement "James was told that Carver wanted an apology".

It's implied (but not stated) that Carver wasn't the one who actually said anything to James.

So let's have it, Chris Zelkovich.....When? By whom? How?

Pachuco
05-13-2009, 03:29 PM
My god, how can anybody here defend Paul James getting fired? the guy is a horrendous tv personality. I don't care if Carver got him fired or not, all I know is TV is much better off without him on it.

canucker
05-13-2009, 03:32 PM
In one thread the problem is Mo didn't back Carver enough, in another his problem his that he got some guy fired because Carver didn't like him.

Do you think any of this actually has anything to do with Mo?

Honestly, no. Which is why I posted what I did. We only have one half of the story and as usual the finger of blame is quickly pointed at MoJo.

boban
05-13-2009, 04:03 PM
This clearly wreaks of an MLSE initiative.
As much as I am not a MoJo fan, I don't think he has this influence.
MLSE owns 4 pro sports teams in this city and 3 channels now with the purchase of GolTV.
They are channeling their message out and making sure that all filters are applied.
Only Yes men need apply that adhere to MSLE doctrine.

Jack
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Boban, how do you know they're not secretly manipulating you to say stuff like that?

:D

boban
05-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Boban, how do you know they're not secretly manipulating you to say stuff like that?

:D
You should know by now that I'm a guy with my own mind Jack. ;)

Beach_Red
05-13-2009, 04:17 PM
Only Yes men need apply that adhere to MSLE doctrine.

Okay, but we like it if they shut down guys like Cathal Kelley and replace him with yes men, is that right? Certainly WE don't only want yes men, do we.

(okay, really I'm kidding. I'm just wasting time until the game starts)

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2009, 04:39 PM
Sounds like an irresponsible reporter making spurious claims.

He takes two otherwise unrelated events, shrugs his shoulders and says "connected?"

Anyone can do that. Show me some actual evidence, and I will listen.

- Scott

boban
05-13-2009, 04:41 PM
Okay, but we like it if they shut down guys like Cathal Kelley and replace him with yes men, is that right? Certainly WE don't only want yes men, do we.

(okay, really I'm kidding. I'm just wasting time until the game starts)
From whats on the board, MLSE did do something about Cathal.
But also know that MLSE does not own Torstar.

And it's off to the game we go hi ho hi ho...

ensco
05-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Sounds like an irresponsible reporter making spurious claims.

He takes two otherwise unrelated events, shrugs his shoulders and says "connected?"

Anyone can do that. Show me some actual evidence, and I will listen.

- Scott

Zelkovich quotes James saying he didn't know if it had anything to do with his being let go. That's not the story.

The story, if it can be corroborated, is that Carver demanded an apology from someone just doing his job. Which, if true, casts Carver, and possibly others at MLSE, in a bad light.

Which is why Zelkovich needs to clarify who said what to whom, and when.

Shakes McQueen
05-13-2009, 07:05 PM
Zelkovich quotes James saying he didn't know if it had anything to do with his being let go. That's not the story.

The story, if it can be corroborated, is that Carver demanded an apology from someone just doing his job. Which, if true, casts Carver, and possibly others at MLSE, in a bad light.

He put in a small quote from James, essentially as a disclaimer for everything else in the article. He also inserts one sentence conceding that all of his conjecture might just be idle bullshit. It's still yellow journalism.

The title characterizes James' contract being let go as "mysterious", and the entire article talks about a previous altercation with Carver, as well as how "sadly" his firing might be related to MLSE's takeover of GolTV. Ipso facto, he's trying to connect the two, with no supporting evidence.

If you can't back up the majority of what your article is saying, then as a journalist you shouldn't write the article. You don't write the article, with a provocative title like that, and bury a couple of obligatory sentences admitting you have no supporting evidence for your claim.

- Scott

Beach_Red
05-13-2009, 09:49 PM

Lots of conjecture there, too much really.

Jack
05-13-2009, 10:37 PM
It doesn't change the fact that James was a boring TV personality

menefreghista
05-14-2009, 09:47 AM
I actually think there could be some truth to this.

Why? Because it seems stupid to have your TFC pre-game show featuring two people who are essentially hosts (Godfrey and Petrillo).

So Gol TV/MLSE is trying to tell us James was let go because he was redundant, yet their in studio team for TFC games does not even have a real analyst.

Doesn't sound right at all.

TorontoBlades
05-14-2009, 11:39 AM
Paul James is an individual full of lies. he is smug and has no idea about football, techinically or tactically

...and I can say that, as I've dealt with it first hand when he was with the national program. He's simply trying to keep his foot in the door, but the game was always too good for him.

Pachuco
05-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Paul James is an individual full of lies. he is smug and has no idea about football, techinically or tactically

...and I can say that, as I've dealt with it first hand when he was with the national program. He's simply trying to keep his foot in the door, but the game was always too good for him.

My brother in law played for him. He'd say the exact same thing you just said.

bhoybobby
05-14-2009, 12:52 PM

Jack, given some of the private exchanges from last week, let's think about this real hard.:scarf:

Jack
05-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Jack, given some of the private exchanges from last week, let's think about this real hard.:scarf:
;) :drinking:

Pookie
05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm not sure what the shocking part of the story is here.

Is it that a member of the media was let go by a club owned media outlet for his views? Or is it more shocking that people are surprised by this?

In every facet of life, the media is an arm for those that fund it.

You think everyone on FOXNews is really ignorant on purpose? ;) They present the news with a bias and the station recruits those that share that bias.

In much the same way that local papers are characterized as pro-Liberal or pro-Conservative.

Here you have a corporation that invested in a media outlet so that it could have control over its brand. Do you think they would not act in the interests of protecting it?

I think the shocking thing is that people actually believe that there is such a thing as free and unbiased reporting.

scooter
05-14-2009, 04:17 PM
the red patch boys already know first hand about free and unbiased reporting --- NOT

bhoybobby
05-14-2009, 06:04 PM

Doesn't change a lot of facts:scarf:

greatwhitenorf
05-14-2009, 06:58 PM

Bingo.

And his dismissal doesn't change the fact that Gol and the studio segments of their TFC broadcasts are essentially unwatchable.

Especially when Rogers doesn't play ball with 'Free View' telecasts.

Mind you, most of the North American soccer TV business is hard to watch. FOX is just cringe-inducing with that high-school-level news show they do each night and those hysterical, high-pitched Irish eunuchs doing the commentary for OY-talian Serie A games.

At this point, it all makes Gerry Dobson, Nigel Reed and Jason De Vos look stellar.

Really hoping we get to see Gol go balls out and give us the unbeatable matchup of Rauter and Howard - The Vic and Dick Show.

And watch out Craig Forrest. That Mr. Bland routine isn't going to last long.

jabbronies
05-14-2009, 07:16 PM
Probably better for him not to be on Gol TV anyways.

If it's anything like what Leafs TV or Raptors TV is, then his insight into the game may not be welcomed anyways. Both those stations are biased towards their respective teams and you probably won't get an honest criticism from anyone hosting it.

It'll be fluff commentating at its best IMO.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-14-2009, 07:26 PM
Paul James had a anti Carver vendetta from day one...im glad James is gone....

hit the road Paul and dont come back..go back to the CSA as national team manager.

EAsoccer
05-15-2009, 01:24 AM
Regardless of whether the article writer has any proof or what some may think personally about Paul James and his knowledge of football, no one can specify a reason for why he was let go by GolTV which is owned by MLSE. The two remaining hosts (assuming they do not bring in someone else) are just that hosts and do not have the ability to analyze the games like James did. So it is logical for people to speculate that it may have had something to do with MLSE and Carver resigning.

My educated guess: Carver resigned for James' criticism of TFC or Carver's own coaching methods and ability, MLSE who had no problems with and thought highly of Carver proceeded to fire James and blame him for Carver resigning.

Shakes McQueen
05-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Regardless of whether the article writer has any proof or what some may think personally about Paul James and his knowledge of football, no one can specify a reason for why he was let go by GolTV which is owned by MLSE. The two remaining hosts (assuming they do not bring in someone else) are just that hosts and do not have the ability to analyze the games like James did. So it is logical for people to speculate that it may have had something to do with MLSE and Carver resigning.

My educated guess: Carver resigned for James' criticism of TFC or Carver's own coaching methods and ability, MLSE who had no problems with and thought highly of Carver proceeded to fire James and blame him for Carver resigning.

So because we don't know why he was let go, it's logical to speculate that it must have had something to do with this isolated incident with Carver months ago?

There could be any number of reasons why he was let go - especially when it's clear that a number of people didn't think he was particularly good, judging by the anecdotal evidence here.

The fact that we don't know why something happened, doesn't in any way make speculation - unsubstantiated by any evidence - any more logical.

- Scott

Brooker
05-15-2009, 03:58 AM
hmmm i thought he was pretty good the few times i saw him on the score. oh well not a big deal, but im sure he'll show up somewhere.

i can totally understand people calling him boring, though.

ensco
05-15-2009, 06:20 AM
So because we don't know why he was let go, it's logical to speculate that it must have had something to do with this isolated incident with Carver months ago?

There could be any number of reasons why he was let go - especially when it's clear that a number of people didn't think he was particularly good, judging by the anecdotal evidence here.

The fact that we don't know why something happened, doesn't in any way make speculation - unsubstantiated by any evidence - any more logical.

- Scott

You're missing the "logic" that actually matters.

It doesn't matter why he was let go.

It does matter if current MLSE employees are demanding unwarranted apologies from media members who criticise them. I doubt James is making that up. It sounds like it wasn't Carver who asked.

If Carver alone talked to James, I don't really care, he's gone. But for me, increasingly, it begs the question: how much of Carver's inability to handle some of the basics of this job does Mo wear? What was the due diligence process in Carver's hiring? (and I'm a Mo supporter).

Beach_Red
05-15-2009, 07:29 AM
But for me, increasingly, it begs the question: how much of Carver's inability to handle some of the basics of this job does Mo wear? What was the due diligence process in Carver's hiring? (and I'm a Mo supporter).

Well, there's due diligence and then there's predicting the future. I like to think that Carver is a good guy and wanted very much for things to work out, but he'd never been involved in MLS before, he'd never lived in Toronto - there were so many unknowns that who could tell how they'd work out? I hope things work out much better for him in whatever job he takes next.

They took a chance and it didn't work out - happens all the time. I like the promoting of the assistant coach, he has a much better idea of what he's getting into and how to handle it.

bgnewf
05-15-2009, 09:14 AM
Who is paul james???? Anyone Remember this game!?? :)

http://i5.tinypic.com/11rf87p.jpg

I was AT that game.

mr k
05-15-2009, 12:37 PM
follow up post by Star

The Paul James saga: Part II

There was a bit of missing link in the previous post on former GolTV soccer analyst Paul James.
Prior to being told by new owner Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment that his contract was not being renewed, James had been taken off the air by GolTV. It's still not clear why, but MLSE says it wasn't part of that decision.

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2009/05/the-paul-james-saga-part-ii.html

Jack
05-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Uh oh!

Now the MoJo conspiracy theorists will need to find another example of Mo's evil and nefarious plans!

sully
05-15-2009, 12:50 PM
Uh oh!

Now the MoJo conspiracy theorists will need to find another example of Mo's evil and nefarious plans!

I heard Mo stole somebody's stapler once!

mlsintoronto
05-15-2009, 12:58 PM
I heard Mo stole somebody's stapler once!

don't believe what you read. Mo is a time traveller. Clearly anyone can see that. He had zero soccer talent...he just travelled into the future and found out where the ball was going to be, then simply made sure he was there. Its all so clear now. He also travelled back in time and made this Gol tv thing happen. simple.

EAsoccer
05-15-2009, 05:01 PM

- Scott

Yes. Why wouldnt it be? No one is saying it is for certain but Carver resigns for no particular reason and James is let go shortly after by essentially the same people. That's logical to me.

I've only seen on this thread people saying he was boring. If he wasnt good he would not have been hired in the first place. If that was the case MLSE/Gol TV would have said "James, your no good, that's why we are letting you go." But there were no reasons according to James, hence the speculation. MLSE/Gol TV could easily come out with a press releases explaining James' sacking to put a rest to this whole thread.

True on your last point, but that would mean we cant speculate at all without it being illogical. As isolated as the incident may seem, there's been reports that Carver resigned due to the media and press' views on him.

ensco
05-15-2009, 07:30 PM
don't believe what you read. Mo is a time traveller. Clearly anyone can see that. He had zero soccer talent...he just travelled into the future and found out where the ball was going to be, then simply made sure he was there. Its all so clear now. He also travelled back in time and made this Gol tv thing happen. simple.

You've just seen Star Trek, haven't you Paul? Cmon spill it....

ensco
05-15-2009, 07:34 PM
Trust me, I think we're better off with Mo than without him. Compare our drafting record to any team in MLS. It's not even close. Plus the fact that without DeRo or Serioux, we'd be up the creek this year. This is all Mo, and had nothing to do with Carver.

I just hope that Mo wouldn't be part of "letting James know that Carver wants an apology".

jloome
05-15-2009, 10:07 PM

My sources aren't good enough to confirm this, but I'll tell you they conclusively consider this quite possible and not out of character.

jloome
05-15-2009, 10:12 PM

With all due respect, while I find your defence admirable, Mo has had a rep as a hothead with the occasional chip since his Celtic days, and given how he has taken a bite at some media for absolutely non-existent slights over the last three years, I don't buy that he's completely changed. He still seems a wee bit sensitive.

Good drafter, though. Good for business. If we keep bleeding top-level coaches (Bob Gansler, anyone?) each year, however, that five-year plan is gonna include a lot of severance.

jloome
05-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I think the shocking thing is that people actually believe that there is such a thing as free and unbiased reporting.

I think the shocking thing is that people no longer realize the free-and-unbiased stuff is still the majority. And I say that as someone who's been an assignment editor for a good chunk of the last decade.

No one has ever -- ever -- told me what to assign, or what reporters to hire, or to screen for bias.

Do papers with a certain op-ed page bent tend to attract staff who agree with them? Doubtless. Does that prevent most of them from generally trying to be fair and balanced? No.

I'm not going to defend journalism completely, because in many respects you're right: the decline in ethical and reporting standards is shocking. But it's completely in proportion to the amount that those owners you talk about have cut out of the bottom line, not because they generally directly influence reporting.

Even FOX, which has to be the most biased network in history, is an interesting case; while its television news is quite deliberately slanted in the way that you describe, its web reporting generally isn't, and follows the usual principles of getting react from as many sides as possible.

Newspapers and TV have gotten cheaper because they're owned by people who hold them solely for profit and op-ed page influence. There used to be bigger principles at stake, but most of the conglomerates that own outlets now simply don't comprehend how the job is done well, or why. And they don't care, frankly, because they're pure corporate machines, existing in a governance model that respects the shareholders, themselves and the market, and nothing else.

But that hasn't filtered down to the level you're describing yet, where there's absolute complicity between the editorial departments and the business sides. There is some cross over and promotion, but for the most part, the stories of Aspers or Blacks walking into the newsroom daily and looking for an op-ed proof to check are just nonsense.

Media is crap for one reason: cutbacks. We all started giving it away for free online, where there is insufficient premium on space to make the corresponding ad revenues. That's it. That's all. That's everything.

And shockingly, the decline you might associate with that is solely in income; technically, when you combine their online daily readership with their print circulation readership, most media outlets have more viewers or readers than a decade ago, not less. They just can't make money off the online model as it exists.

End rant.

ensco
05-16-2009, 07:59 AM
I don't think that's all of it. The biggest problem I've got jloome, is that I'm finding that newspapers are trending more and more to "analysis", and away from reporting, I guess as a response to the fact that you can always finds the facts of what happened on the internet.

But when it comes to, say, the business side of sports, the columnists/analysts are woeful. Dreadful. They almost universally lack the background to understand it, and appear inevitably and severely conflicted by their need to keep the team owners and operators as sources. The reporting on the Balsillie/Phoenix thing takes the cake for this, but much reporting/analysis on TFC suffers from this also.

Then you layer on the fact that it's obvious that quite a few editors don't have any knowledge of what their "columnists" are writing about either, and you've got a recipe for serious, unreadable pablum on paper suitable only for wrapping dead fish.

Of course there are exceptions.

But for me, this is the biggest problem newspapers have. They are not paying enough to get, or keep, people who understand the subjects they are writing about, which causes me to read them less.

Everybody will figure out how to charge more, sell far fewer copies, and not be all things to all people.

End my rant!

Pookie
05-16-2009, 08:26 AM
I don't work in your industry on a day to day basis. I do have a close friend who now works as a freelance journalist from which to draw some insight (though obviously not as connected as you).

I do know that she often laments about her coverage of SARS a few years back in which her coverage was "expected" to highlight the more sensational aspects of the situation. She literally felt as though the facts (minimal risk to the public) were being downplayed by her paper to highlight the points that would sell.

I tend to believe that the media has a bias in its coverage and while that may not enter into your assignment decisions, it sure enters into what stories get coverage.

Going back to the topic, does MLSE not have a right to control what is said about their brand on their station?

It's an interesting question. We probably wouldn't think twice if a bulletin board on MapleLeafs.com was overly moderated. You don't see Damien Cox articles highlighted on their "news" section. Don Cherry isn't able to go on Leafs TV and blast Wilson or Burke.

Bill Watters was barred from the building for his continual on-air tirades on MLSE ownership.

Should GOL TV be any different?

Ultimately, as a viewer, I know that they are likely to present any story with a bias towards the positive. Just as I might watch a financial analyst with some degree of skepticism knowing who funds their programs.

Doesn't take away from the stories but it should be part of our critical examination of the "facts."

Beach_Red
05-16-2009, 09:25 AM
But when it comes to, say, the business side of sports, the columnists/analysts are woeful. Dreadful. They almost universally lack the background to understand it, and appear inevitably and severely conflicted by their need to keep the team owners and operators as sources. The reporting on the Balsillie/Phoenix thing takes the cake for this, but much reporting/analysis on TFC suffers from this also.

The funny thing is, when it comes to the business side of business the columnists/analysts are also woeful - or maybe worse than that, they are side-taking cheerleaders for big business and they missed every significant event of the last... well, maybe it's always been that way.

The reporting on the Balsilie/Phoenix thing has been pretty good, I think. So much of it is speculation because no one knows for sure what the courts will say and even what their jurisdiction is. Anything with this many lawyers all over it is going to be messy and unclear right till the end. That's not the fault of journalists.

But we've seen on this board a few times that we just don't give up looking for a story when there may not actually be one. Or when the "real story" is personal for the people involved and doesn't involve anything we speculate on at all.

bhoybobby
05-16-2009, 09:56 AM
I was AT that game.

Back before he got done for accepting bribes, then blowing the whistle on the others involved. He should've been banned for life.

ensco
05-16-2009, 01:56 PM
The reporting on the Balsilie/Phoenix thing has been pretty good, I think.

Read this guy (I've never met him but he understands the issues better than anyone at any newspaper). See what you think. He is (was?) a Globe reporter who has gone off on his own.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/5/15/876680/balsillie-there-is-no-front-door

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/5/10/870913/the-dangers-of-underserving-the

jloome
05-16-2009, 09:07 PM
Again, Ensco, that's because it's cheaper. Analysis costs nothing. Reporting well takes time, and time takes bodies, and bodies cost money. end of story.

Beach_Red
05-16-2009, 09:29 PM
Read this guy (I've never met him but he understands the issues better than anyone at any newspaper). See what you think. He is (was?) a Globe reporter who has gone off on his own.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/5/15/876680/balsillie-there-is-no-front-door

http://www.fromtherink.com/2009/5/10/870913/the-dangers-of-underserving-the

Well, one of those posts is just a recap of a Damien Cox column and the other has nothing in it I haven't read in the Toronto Star.

I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for in terms of investigative journalism in this story? As this guy says, there's no league-approved way to get a second team in southern Ontario, so Balsillie is trying the side door. Maybe there could be a little more investigation into whether he made a deal with the Coyotes owner prior to the bankruptcy filing, but is there a law against that? It seems like what Balsillie is trying to do is take the league out of the decision-making process of moving the team and giving it to the Arizona bankruptcy court. Is there more to the story than that?

One thing I would disagree with this guy about is when he says:
The fact is that the vast majority of kids are growing up in this city without ever having the opportunity to attend an NHL game, and I wonder if at some point that'll turn a generation off the sport entirely.

This is revisionist history, because the real fact is that the vast majority of kids never had the opportunity to attend an NHL game and they became fans anyway. I was a kid in Montreal in the 70's and I got to go to the Forum maybe once every two years and there were rarely any other kids I could see (from my seat high up in the blues). This idea that professional sports events were ever "family" events is very recent. Pro sports were like bars, they were places for men to go to drink and swear -and they didn't take their kids.

Now, if the NHL loses its TV deal in Canada, then it could lose a whole generation, the way the CFL did when it blacked out so many games.

Blizzard
05-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Back before he got done for accepting bribes, then blowing the whistle on the others involved. He should've been banned for life.

You're implying that he got caught and then blew the whistle on the others. It didn't happen that way. He fessed up and didn't take any money. We have to at least give him that.

That being said, the whole thing was a black mark for Canadian soccer and he will be forever linked with that.

B

VPjr
05-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Paul was most certainly asked to apologize to Carver and he refused to do so because he felt he did nothing or said nothing wrong. Carver was out of line and someone needed to say it. Did that choice result in his dismissal? only MLSE knows the truth.

I do know for a fact that TFC would like to see at least one other analyst "tone down" their criticism of the team, which I think is shameful. I sure as heck hope that this person's employer stands behind him and doesn't buck to the pressure.

Honest criticism is good. It keeps people accountable. Sometimes its good for players, coaches and management to be put in their place a little by someone who knows what they are talking about. It would be a pretty damn boring world if everyone just toed the party line.

Roogsy
05-17-2009, 08:32 PM

Wait a second...he blew the whistle so HE should've been banned for life? What sense does that make?

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Paul was most certainly asked to apologize to Carver and he refused to do so because he felt he did nothing or said nothing wrong. Carver was out of line and someone needed to say it. Did that choice result in his dismissal? only MLSE knows the truth.

I do know for a fact that TFC would like to see at least one other analyst "tone down" their criticism of the team, which I think is shameful. I sure as heck hope that this person's employer stands behind him and doesn't buck to the pressure.

Honest criticism is good. It keeps people accountable. Sometimes its good for players, coaches and management to be put in their place a little by someone who knows what they are talking about. It would be a pretty damn boring world if everyone just toed the party line.

Honest Criticism is good...but PJ had a vendetta against Carver from day one...i dont think we need homer announcers like the Leafs have on cbc,
that would be too much..but ones that are even handed in calling the good and the bad in what TFC does..

VPjr
05-17-2009, 09:43 PM
^ do you know for a fact that PJ had a "vendetta" against Carver or is that your opinion based on his comments? I personally never saw it that way but maybe I missed something along the way.

My impression of PJ's comments toward Carver and his work as TFC's head coach was that he simply wasn't overly impressed and wasn't afraid to say it on the air. Frankly, the same can be said for almost every other knowledgeable TFC analyst I've spoken to over the past 12 months, but few of them quite so public about their opinions.

PJ might ultimately have been done in by an accumulation of criticism but I still think its shameful to silence someone because he/she has less than kind things to say about a player, a coach or a management type.

PJ might not be everyone's cup of tea and I've had my issues with the man in the past too but now that he's gone, we are stuck with mediocre, vanilla analysis on Gol TV's TFC broadcasts. When combined with those silly interviews conducted by the perky girl (asking riveting questions like "what type of books do you like to read" or "do you cook") the pre-game, half time and post game shows are pretty much unwatchable and somewhat cringe-worthy. I prefer Gina Bucci's Fan poll stuff on CBC and i really don't like that segment at all either.

EAsoccer
05-21-2009, 01:30 AM
It's quite clear what's going on here. MLSE doesnt want any knowledgeable people in the football world to be critical of they way TFC is run or operated. Regardless of whether or not Paul James had a vendetta against Carver, he was almost always accurate on his analysis of Toronto FC. MLSE doesnt want to be accountable.

Clear examples the Maple Leafs and the Raptors.

Pachuco
05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Wait a second...he blew the whistle so HE should've been banned for life? What sense does that make?

There were rumours that Paul James exchanged immunity for ratting out (blowing the whistle on) the other 4 players. He chooses to believe the conspiracy and you don't. That's all. I'm not defending him or anyone, I'm just making sense out of what he is saying.

jwfm1985
05-21-2009, 09:21 AM
This is ridiculous. People get fired, sh*t happens, especially when you are a piss poor TV personality. Cut the conspiracy BS, it's very tiresome