PDA

View Full Version : ..::Updates & Alternate Ways to BMO (Carpools,TTC): May 13, 2009:::..

Boris
05-13-2009, 09:50 AM
hey everyone. With the news of ongoing protests lets help out other RPB's.

Post alternate ways to BMO here...

the best TTC routes to access BMO:

Dufferin Bus - direct access
Ossington Bus - Drop off in Liberty Village
King Streetcar from Dundas West - slow, but effective. come to Joe's.
Bathurst Streetcar - dependable, but may suffer from traffic congestion
Queens Quay LRT - probably not a problem. Elevated tracks rule!!!!

The Kingpin
05-13-2009, 09:54 AM
hey everyone. With the news of ongoing protests lets help out other RPB's.

Post alternate ways to BMO here...

Subway to Union - then take the Exhibition street car.

H Bomb
05-13-2009, 09:59 AM
there's a streetcar from Bayview station to Joes. It takes a while but has some nice views

Carts
05-13-2009, 10:00 AM
Subway to Union - then take the Exhibition street car.

That could be one of the routes that is very easy to block...

5-people on the street infront of the tunnel entrance and the streetcar is dead on the street...

Carts...

prizby
05-13-2009, 10:02 AM
union to exhibition on the GO, the train tracks would be hard to block

maninb
05-13-2009, 10:03 AM
Just got this at work...

Information has been received from Toronto Police Services that Tamil demonstrators are planning to arrive in the downtown area today, Wednesday May 13, 2009 between 11:00AM and noon (times subject to change) to form a “human chain”" through the downtown core.

KdotOdot
05-13-2009, 10:06 AM
walk on the go train tracks.

Wagner
05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
Just got this at work...

Information has been received from Toronto Police Services that Tamil demonstrators are planning to arrive in the downtown area today, Wednesday May 13, 2009 between 11:00AM and noon (times subject to change) to form a “human chain”" through the downtown core.

last time they didn't really block traffic.
this time, i think they might...
this could mean streetcars...

it wouldn't take much to bung up the street cars...basically one person sitting in the tracks.

As for blocking the Go Train. it wouldn't be hard either...a dude on the tracks again...especially infront of a parked train at a stop...

Miko
05-13-2009, 10:12 AM
there's a streetcar from Bayview station to Joes. It takes a while but has some nice views

I think you mean Broadview Station - the streetcar doesn't run to Bayview.

I think anything that has to cross Yonge or University may be really screwed up and is best avoided.

Union LRT or Bathurst 511 car are probably the best bets for TTC access.

Wagner
05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
it might be more useful if people either posted what they need or what they can provide IF a component of public transit is not available.

Phil
05-13-2009, 10:21 AM
I am going to walk over past University and catch a streetcar from there on King.

Although the lakeshore route may be a target, I think its too far south to really catch their intrest in that disruptive way. The tunnel comes out pretty far west of Yonge so that may be the best way.

FluSH
05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
What's the go train situation? and what are the odds on who will have more flags!

rocker
05-13-2009, 10:30 AM
if any Tamils are blocking you, wave your TFC flag and say you're going to go protest the awful Montrealers at BMO Field ;) they'll sympathize and let you through

LondonToffee
05-13-2009, 10:49 AM
Driving in from London, going downtown first for errands, I'm planning on parking down near the Dome and taking the Exhibition streetcar. If it doesn't work out, well, me and the Tamils will be having words.

Boris
05-13-2009, 11:01 AM
im going to stick this thread and lets use it as a information thread for the afternoon..

cheers
Boris

LondonToffee
05-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Also, if anyone in TO could post updates on how the protest is going, I'm leaving London around 2:15 and could use any info anyone has up to that point.

Boris
05-13-2009, 11:05 AM
Also, if anyone in TO could post updates on how the protest is going, I'm leaving London around 2:15 and could use any info anyone has up to that point.

ill try to keep it as updated as possible

Boris
05-13-2009, 11:16 AM
from citynews.ca:

With the echoes of the Gardiner protest still ringing in many ears, the Tamils promise yet another rally on the streets of Toronto. Organizers promise they won't block traffic or cause disruptions. But wary cops remain on standby just in case.

Gixmo
05-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Seriously? I'm on my way out the door shortly myself.. oh well

TFC Cityboy
05-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Driving in from London, going downtown first for errands, I'm planning on parking down near the Dome and taking the Exhibition streetcar. If it doesn't work out, well, me and the Tamils will be having words.

may not be as easy as usual...Jays v Yankees tonight.

LondonToffee
05-13-2009, 01:00 PM
may not be as easy as usual...Jays v Yankees tonight.

Meh. I know a good easy-out lot.

Hitcho
05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
i can see King and Bay from my window and there's nothing there right now (just gone 2pm). Last time I could hear the protestors pretty clearly, but so far nothing.

One tip for potential subway riders - last time the protest ended and every single fucker tried to hit the subway to get home, along with the usual rush hour crowds. Result was no-one could get into the subway at Union (and probably King too) even though the protest was over. So crowd congestion could be a major issue on the TTC tonight, even if the protest is not disrupting traffic and tansit deliberately.

I'll post if I catch sight or sound of any protest at King and Bay.

Hitcho

English Rachel
05-13-2009, 01:19 PM
They're still collecting at Queen's Park and have been since 1.30 - I'm at Yonge and Adelaide so I will let you know if they make it down here....

T-Bird
05-13-2009, 01:32 PM
i can see King and Bay from my window and there's nothing there right now (just gone 2pm). Last time I could hear the protestors pretty clearly, but so far nothing.

One tip for potential subway riders - last time the protest ended and every single fucker tried to hit the subway to get home, along with the usual rush hour crowds. Result was no-one could get into the subway at Union (and probably King too) even though the protest was over. So crowd congestion could be a major issue on the TTC tonight, even if the protest is not disrupting traffic and tansit deliberately.

I'll post if I catch sight or sound of any protest at King and Bay.

Hitcho

Not sure what time it ended last time but King station was fine going south...just hope they don't gum up the streetcar

phonzo
05-13-2009, 01:46 PM
Uni and King and still relatively quiet..occasional car honking

Phil
05-13-2009, 01:49 PM
Lots of cops around downtown. Yonge and Adelaide here... Nothing really happening otherwise

English Rachel
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
Yonge and Adelaide here

*waves*

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2009, 02:12 PM
how is the GARDNER??...

Hitcho
05-13-2009, 02:31 PM
According to a report on CP24 timed at 2.18pm, police in riot gear have formed a perimeter around the protesters at Queens Park. If they can keep them hemmed in, problem solved to a large degree, although the overcrowding of the subway when they all disperse will likely be an issue again.

Maybe the Gardiner protest is backfiring on these guys. The cops now know they have to keep a much heavier presence in place to keep things under control.

Still nothing at King and Bay, 3.30pm.

Boris
05-13-2009, 02:32 PM
part of university southbound closed...
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_34533.aspx

RPB_RED_NATION_RPB
05-13-2009, 02:37 PM
According to a report on CP24 timed at 2.18pm, police in riot gear have formed a perimeter around the protesters at Queens Park. If they can keep them hemmed in, problem solved to a large degree, although the overcrowding of the subway when they all disperse will likely be an issue again.

Maybe the Gardiner protest is backfiring on these guys. The cops now know they have to keep a much heavier presence in place to keep things under control.

Still nothing at King and Bay, 3.30pm.

Sounds like the start of MILLWALL VS LEEDS MATCH!:D

kodiakTFC
05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Is there any parking in Parkdale?

Boris
05-13-2009, 02:45 PM

lamport stadium

king and frasier

Parkdale
05-13-2009, 02:50 PM

haha... no one would blockade parkdale.

Kevvv
05-13-2009, 02:51 PM
lamport stadium

king and frasier

Shhhh

yellowfellow
05-13-2009, 02:58 PM
gardiner is good. it's clear and no humans.

rocker
05-13-2009, 03:00 PM
Sounds like the start of MILLWALL VS LEEDS MATCH!:D

the Limp Act fans coming on that 1 bus are probably thinking "are all these police just for us???"

Don Julio
05-13-2009, 03:35 PM
Tamils are behaving, seem to be contained by riot police. All systems should be GO!

T_Mizz
05-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Tamils are behaving, seem to be contained by riot police. All systems should be GO!
Glad to hear that before they were just pissing people off now they're actually where the government is

Kevvv
05-13-2009, 03:44 PM
Not the govt that can actually do anything on this, that one is in Ottawa

T_Mizz
05-13-2009, 03:45 PM
Not the govt that can actually do anything on this, that one is in Ottawa
True but at least its some form of government

Hitcho
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
Anyone planning on getting on the subway at Union, be prepared for long wait times around the time the protesters disperse. Hopefully they'll be long gone by 7pm, but who knows...

Lennon
05-13-2009, 04:10 PM
Anybody know the best way to get to Lamport on the Subway? Get off at King I assume and take some streetcar .. ?

sulfur
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Subway to Dufferin. Bus down to King. Walk over unless there's an EB streetcar.

It's far faster than King subway from St. Andrew station.

tfcmanu
05-13-2009, 04:18 PM
Anybody know the best way to get to Lamport on the Subway? Get off at King I assume and take some streetcar .. ?

Dufferin Subway Station and take Bus South on Dufferin all the way into CNE grounds.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Subway to Dufferin. Bus down to King. Walk over unless there's an EB streetcar.

It's far faster than King subway from St. Andrew station.

This is true. I made the mistake of taking the King Car last week, and it took forever. The 504 moves at a near walking pace, so the Dufferin Bus is definitely a better option.

Lennon
05-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks guys ...

Darlofletch
05-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Quick, someone tell the tamils to block the impact fans bus.;)

The government doesn't give a shit about inconvenienced Torontonians, but if this starts affecting the Quebecois, then they'll be forced to do something.:canada: