PDA

View Full Version : Today’s News, Tuesday , May.12

denime
05-12-2009, 05:33 AM
Mornin'

Cummins credits players' adaptability
Reds coach gives team added responsibility

Toronto FC head coach Chris Cummins believes his players deserve much credit for the way they have been able to adapt to changes in personnel and formation.
The Reds had to make a late change to the line-up at D.C. United on Saturday after Carl Robinson was sidelined by food poisioning.
Cummins also changed the formation ahead of the game, and then switched it again after 20 minutes of play.

Read More (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090511&content_id=251569&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

White takes another step forward
Striker continues to make good progress

Toronto FC forward O'Brian White continues to make good progress as he recovers from an ACL injury.
White joined in warm-up with the team on Monday for the first time.
The 23 year old has stepped up his training and has begun working with the ball.

Read More (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090511&content_id=251520&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

Ngo scores two for Academy Juniors
TFC Junior Academy beat the Astros Reserves 2-1

Eric Ngo scored both goals as TFC Junior Academy beat North York Astros Reserves 2-1 at Esther Shiner Stadium on Saturday.
Damir Rosic was a standout for the Academy and Arthur Casupanan also produced a highly effective performance.

Read More (http://web.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090511&content_id=251224&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280)

MLS NEWS:

Schmid, Hanauer rip soccer referees :hump:

On Monday, after a day to reflect and watch replays, Seattle coach Sigi Schmid stuck to in his criticism of referee Tim Weyland’s performance in the Sounders’ 1-1 draw with Los Angeles on Sunday.
And he got backing from general manager Adrian Hanauer, who expanded the topic beyond a single game or a referee into a problem of league wide importance.

Earlier this season, former Toronto coach John Carver had called Weyland “a disgrace,” and he was fined $750 for his comment.

Read More (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/738729.html)

SUNSHINE (http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/)

Carter
05-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Mornin D.

SSG........

TFC_Junky
05-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Nice to see White making progress. We need some one up front who can put the ball in the net!

scooter
05-12-2009, 07:05 AM
mornin d

Lucky Strike
05-12-2009, 07:31 AM
I haven't seen the events leading up to the red card for Riley, but the fact that Weyland was again in charge of a circus and that Schmid didn't want him refereeing his games with UCLA has got to mean something. Managers aren't stupid, they know what they're talking about.

P.S. Riley isn't a star though, so that puts a dent in some of Seattle's argument.

ensco
05-12-2009, 07:40 AM
This issue is also out of control in the NHL and NBA playoffs. There isn't a post-game press conference in those sports where the coach isn't criticizing the refs.

Referees have always sucked. Coaches have always complained about referees, but it's become almost ridiculous in the last couple of months. I don't know what the catalyst/reason is.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=21095
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090428/sp_afp/basketnbarefsfined

TFCREDNWHITE
05-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Schmid, Hanauer rip soccer referees :hump:

On Monday, after a day to reflect and watch replays, Seattle coach Sigi Schmid stuck to in his criticism of referee Tim Weyland’s performance in the Sounders’ 1-1 draw with Los Angeles on Sunday.
And he got backing from general manager Adrian Hanauer, who expanded the topic beyond a single game or a referee into a problem of league wide importance.

Read More (http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/story/738729.html)

Nice to see Schmid and Seattle's GM ripping the Ref's a NEW ONE!! especially Weyland!!

S_D
05-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Hanauer complaining about red cards? Can't agree with him on this one.

But when a guy like Kasey Keller sits out an extra game for a play like questionably handling the ball intentionally outside the box ...

There was no question on that call. Pretty blatent.

and another player gets an extra game for an extremely violent tackle, it seems maybe like the laws aren’t well calibrated for fans.”

huh? If it was violent enough that Hanauer says extremely violent, I'd say the league suspension of 1 extra game wasn't enough.

But I agree with them that Weyland is shit.

Mark in Ottawa
05-12-2009, 07:46 AM
Schmid rips ref... and MLS makes another $750. right? ;)

ensco
05-12-2009, 07:48 AM
But I agree with them that Weyland is shit.

Weyland did lose control of that game. No argument there.

Waggy
05-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Some of the complaining is just whining, but unfortunately the whining drowns out legit complaints. If anyone saw the end of game 3 Dallas/Denver, I mean I was rooting for Denver HARD and I still felt dirty. That was beyond shady. That was borderline rigged. Course, if anyone has to get jobbed, I'm glad it was that cockmuncher Cuban haha

Technorgasm
05-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Forget the Ref issue, we can talk about it till we are Red in the face.
. . . its SO frustrating. Uggh not what I need one sleep away from MTL.

EVERYONE EVERYONE
you should see the newest banner, its freakin AWESOME.
I am so proud of the boys, they really have come through big time.
and it was super fun. THATS what makes this group great.
FUN.

Technorgasm
05-12-2009, 08:43 AM
SO glad to hear that Obee is on his way!!
HE might just be the late season push we need to kill off our eastern opposition.

and since when did Ngog play for TFC (aka Red Liverpool Ultra light - haha)

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/DAVID-NGOG-280.jpg

Cobblers
05-12-2009, 08:50 AM
Nice to now have a coach who's able to see things aren't working on the pitch and adjust for it - good on Cummins for that.

DOMIN8R
05-12-2009, 08:55 AM
This is not real news. More like analysis. MLS has been putting these types of articles on their homepage as of late. Some of them are great reads. I consider this one - posted today, in that category.

Major League Soccer clubs get defensive

Galaxy use low-pressure scheme to foil Sounders FC in Week 8

Watching the Los Angeles Galaxy right now is a little like eating institutional food. You know, that drab grub served up school cafeterias and hospitals. It's not anything you'll find in glossy gourmet magazines, but it provides calories and a few nutrients and gets the job done.
That's what we have in Los Angeles and, on some weeks at least, in other places around Major League Soccer. As teams travel and deal with increasingly packed schedules, more managers are acquiescing to the urge to go defensive.

More here:http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090511&content_id=251529&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Oldtimer
05-12-2009, 09:23 AM
This is not real news. More like analysis. MLS has been putting these types of articles on their homepage as of late. Some of them are great reads. I consider this one - posted today, in that category.

Major League Soccer clubs get defensive

Galaxy use low-pressure scheme to foil Sounders FC in Week 8

Watching the Los Angeles Galaxy right now is a little like eating institutional food. You know, that drab grub served up school cafeterias and hospitals. It's not anything you'll find in glossy gourmet magazines, but it provides calories and a few nutrients and gets the job done.
That's what we have in Los Angeles and, on some weeks at least, in other places around Major League Soccer. As teams travel and deal with increasingly packed schedules, more managers are acquiescing to the urge to go defensive.

More here:http://web.mlsnet.com/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20090511&content_id=251529&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

There were those of us who realized that Seattle's run was a lot like Hull City's in the Premiership. A brash team new to the league takes down some big names early in the season who don't know how to play them. Eventually teams figure them out, and they move closer to the bottom, where their real skill level is. Unfortunately, we played them early in the season (MLS probably thought they were doing us a favour by having us play an "expansion team.").

iansmcl
05-12-2009, 09:47 AM
SO glad to hear that Obee is on his way!!
HE might just be the late season push we need to kill off our eastern opposition.

Obee-Wan??? Or can we not use that since Ovechkin is nicknamed Ovi (wan)... ;)

CretanBull
05-12-2009, 10:01 AM
huh? If it was violent enough that Hanauer says extremely violent, I'd say the league suspension of 1 extra game wasn't enough.

He wasn't complaining about a suspension being given out for an 'extremely violent tackle', he was making the point that - in his mind - the rules aren't balanced if the penalty for a keeper handling the ball outside of the box is the same as for making a violent tackle.

ensco
05-12-2009, 10:06 AM
There were those of us who realized that Seattle's run was a lot like Hull City's in the Premiership. A brash team new to the league takes down some big names early in the season who don't know how to play them. Eventually teams figure them out, and they move closer to the bottom, where their real skill level is. Unfortunately, we played them early in the season (MLS probably thought they were doing us a favour by having us play an "expansion team.").

The league has a cluster of about 8 teams within a couple of points of each other. Seattle's in that group

Too soo to say anyone in that group is a title contender, or a "Hull City"

S_D
05-12-2009, 11:01 AM
He wasn't complaining about a suspension being given out for an 'extremely violent tackle', he was making the point that - in his mind - the rules aren't balanced if the penalty for a keeper handling the ball outside of the box is the same as for making a violent tackle.

Keller was the last man and handled the ball outside of the box. Automatic red. Perhaps the guy should have received a longer suspension for the tackle to make things seem more fair :noidea:

CretanBull
05-12-2009, 11:14 AM
^I'm fine with the rules as is. The Seatle GM isn't happy because he thinks that touching the ball outside of the box isn't as bad as a play that hurts someone. I disagree. I think that a red card is suitable for a dangerous tackle, and I think a red card is suitable for illegally robbing a team from a scoring chance. Obviously, if the tackle was made with the intent to injure (ie spikes up, or WAY late) then additional time can be added to a suspension etc.

Rocco
05-12-2009, 11:20 AM
bottom line is refing in the MLS is bad....

ExiledRed
05-12-2009, 01:23 PM

You've used this Hull City analogy a dozen times. Now that Seattle have actually lost a couple of games, you're talking about it in past tense as if it's a given Seattle are going to crash to the bottom.

It's absurd. Seattle are performing 1000% better than we did in 2007, and they're doing better than us right now. They have more points and a game in hand.

Talking about their success as if it was somehow 'all luck which is about to run out' despite the fact that they've played at a higher level than than most MLS teams do, is ridiculous.

You can take that bet of mine if you like (nobody else will). Seattle finishes in the top 4 of the league before the playoffs or $20.

Fort York Redcoat
05-12-2009, 01:28 PM
It's absurd. Seattle are performing 1000%

Couldn't resist.:D

ExiledRed
05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Couldn't resist.:D

It's not hard. You take what would normally be 100% improvement over our start in 2007 and multiply that by ten.

Oldtimer
05-12-2009, 01:57 PM
No, i don't believe Seattle's playing is luck. They had years to prepare for their entry. I just didn't expect their unbeaten streak to continue.

Neither do I believe they will sink as low as Hull has, either. My point is simply that other teams have figured them out, and they are now beatable.

Unless MLS changes their rules to account for "promoted" teams, I expect Vancouver will have an excellent run too when they move up.

Beach_Red
05-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Unless MLS changes their rules to account for "promoted" teams, I expect Vancouver will have an excellent run too when they move up.

I'll be very surprised if Philadelphia start as strongly as Seattle.

No one's talking about San Jose this year.

Oldtimer
05-12-2009, 02:32 PM
I'll be very surprised if Philadelphia start as strongly as Seattle.

No one's talking about San Jose this year.

Philadelphia and San Jose are "from scratch" teams like TFC, RSL, and Chivas were. No comparison to Seattle.

ExiledRed
05-12-2009, 03:30 PM
Philadelphia and San Jose are "from scratch" teams like TFC, RSL, and Chivas were. No comparison to Seattle.

How many times are we going to have to go over the fact that only two or three players survived the transition from USL to MLS?

It's not like we didnt start out with a bunch of USL players on the squad.

The trouble is, we acquired them to play for us as starters while Seattle cut 'em in favour of better players from better leagues.

Beach_Red
05-12-2009, 03:34 PM
How many times are we going to have to go over the fact that only two or three players survived the transition from USL to MLS?

It's not like we didnt start out with a bunch of USL players on the squad.

The trouble is, we acquired them to play for us as starters while Seattle cut 'em in favour of better players from better leagues.

Why did Seattle wait so long to join MLS anyway?

mr k
05-12-2009, 03:50 PM
The mysterious disappearance of Paul James (http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/2009/05/hebb-says-paul-notified-that-his-contract-wouldnt-be-renewed-mlse-had-several-people-on-staff-and-didnt-need-as-many-announc.html)

But there were troubles involving James and former Toronto FC coach John Carver that may have been part of the story. The troubles go back to last season when Carver lit into a reporter for asking what he thought was a silly question at a press conference.
In his regular GolTV spot, James said that Carver was out of line and that the reporter didn't deserve that kind of treatment. End of story, at least until James was told that Carver wanted an apology.
James decided against it and left a message for Carver explaining the reasons for his decision.

``I wasn't prepared to apologize," James says. ``I hadn't said anything that I need to apologize for."
James heard nothing more until not long afterwards when was told his contract was not being renewed. It's possible this was all a misunderstanding and Carver's dispute with James may not have been an issue.
But, sadly, it's also possible that a coach had a hand in a media outlet's decision-making.

http://thestar.blogs.com/sportsmedia/

DOMIN8R
05-12-2009, 03:57 PM
^^^ This is way off base. Is this guy implying that either JC asked that Paul James be reprimanded or that the argument with JC was part of the reason that Paul's contract wasn't renewed. The first - I doubt. The second - maybe. But I would fault the employer before JC.

Or this is just smoke and sour grapes?

rocker
05-12-2009, 06:25 PM
ummm.. why did Paul James get bumped from the Score after Budgie died?
was it because Paul James is actually really boring on air and people realized without Budgie's energy next to him, he would put people to sleep?

i never thought he was going to stay long in television cuz he always looked miserable up there, like he'd rather not be there.