PDA

View Full Version : 5 teams out of the USL by 2011

kdzb
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM
San Jose in 2008
Seattle in 2009
Philadelphia in 2010
Portland & Vancouver in 2011

Is that mean, the USL is shrinking or they are going to promote some other teams from the divisions below?
If they are going to promote other teams, do we have any chance to have more canadian teams in the USL?

I'm not familiar with the USL system...Anyone can elaborate how it works please?

Thanks

flatpicker
05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
1011???

Is this some kind of Star Trek parallel universe???!!!

seriously though...
I am also curious about how the USL setup works.
What does it take to get a team?
What are their plans for the future (other than that parallel universe of course)

sully
05-11-2009, 12:33 PM
San Jose in 2008
Seattle in 2009
Philadelphia in 2010

Thanks

wow...USL people must be pissed...it's curious we (or at least me) never hear anything from their FO (I presume they have one?)..

kodiakTFC
05-11-2009, 12:34 PM
San Jose in 2008
Philadelphia in 2010

They were never in the USL.

In 2010 the USL is adding New York City and Tampa Bay. This season they promoted Austin and Cleveland. 2 seasons ago they brought up Carolina. So in short, yes, they have expansion covered.

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2009, 12:35 PM
Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.:):canada:

Yohan
05-11-2009, 12:35 PM
I didnt know Philly had an USL team

VPjr
05-11-2009, 12:41 PM
the USL did not have a team in San Jose either to the best of my knowledge.

however, the league has lost its 3 "biggest" teams (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver). They also lost the Lynx because the Hartrells turned it into a PDL team when TFC came to town.

Montreal wants to leave the league too, if MLS will take them.

The USL has added Austin Azteks (which are owned to some degree by Stoke City of EPL).

They also added Cleveland, which I think is gonna be a shaky franchise, IMO.

They've got a team in NYC coming for 2010 I think. I would love to see 2-3 new USL teams in Canada (where, I don't know)

kodiakTFC
05-11-2009, 12:48 PM

however, the league has lost its 3 "biggest" teams (Seattle, Portland, Vancouver). They also lost the Lynx because the Hartrells turned it into a PDL team when TFC came to town.

The USL has added Austin Azteks (which are owned to some degree by Stoke City of EPL).

They've got a team in NYC coming for 2010 I think. I would love to see 2-3 new USL teams in Canada (where, I don't know)

There is no argument in the league that Montreal is by far, the most successful club financially. Once they lose Montreal, they'll need to take a long hard look at their future. Losing the big three in the pacific north west will likely hurt the league a lot; with Montreal being the heavy blow while they are all ready down and out.

MartinUtd
05-11-2009, 12:57 PM
There's no shortage of PDL teams to fill the vacant slots and I'm sure the more financially stables ones would be willing to make the jump.

TFC07
05-11-2009, 01:23 PM
Victoria is getting an USL team, right? Ottawa should try to get an USL team. Hopefully other Canadian cities (Quebec City, Winnipeg, Regina, Hamilton, Calgary, Halifax and Edmonton) get a team soon.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-11-2009, 01:30 PM

seen a cleveland game on tv recently...no one in the stands...Cleveland wont last. I would like to see TFC put a u-20, i-21 one team in and fill it with Canadian talent and play the matches before/after the first team on weekends.

Shway
05-11-2009, 01:46 PM
out of those 5
inactuallity its really just 3

Seattle, Vancouver, Portland

However USL, is fully aware of what is taking place, thats why they have expansion teams coming in 2010.

-Tampa Bay Rowdies
-FC New York

In 2011, there shou;ld be even more possbile expansion with talks of Hamilton,Orlando, Des MOines, and to heck with it maybe even Edmonton

So USL is not in any sort of problem

flatpicker
05-11-2009, 01:50 PM
^ Tampa Bay Rowdies???

Good Lord that's a bad name!!!

rocker
05-11-2009, 01:52 PM
depends on whether the new markets replace the old... probably not in terms of fan support. so the league will take a hit.

Shway
05-11-2009, 01:54 PM
seen a cleveland game on tv recently...no one in the stands...Cleveland wont last. I would like to see TFC put a u-20, i-21 one team in and fill it with Canadian talent and play the matches before/after the first team on weekends.

THIS is the idea that ive have beeen saying for the longest time, or at least to field a reserve team in the USL, so players like GALA, SANYANG, GOMES, EDWARDS, IBRAHIM, NANA, WHITE, (who wont be getting week in and week out playing time) are able to perform, and be in game shape, and ALSO add some of the U-18's or U-16's to play and then having some other CANADIAN:canada: players to fill the roster, who aren't paid who have talent, and are looking for a contract.

In simpler words it would be a reserve team :D

It shouldn't be that players only come in if theres an injury, and thats their first game of the season

Shway
05-11-2009, 01:56 PM
depends on whether the new markets replace the old... probably not in terms of fan support. so the league will take a hit.

New York
and Tampa i think have the possibilty becasue their is no professional team SOUTH EAST,

and there are alot of NEw York soccer fans, i.e Borough Boys

flatpicker
05-11-2009, 01:59 PM
THIS is the idea that ive have beeen saying for the longest time, or at least to field a reserve team in the USL, so players like GALA, SANYANG, GOMES, EDWARDS, IBRAHIM, NANA, WHITE, (who wont be getting week in and week out playing time) are able to perform, and be in game shape, and ALSO add some of the U-18's or U-16's to play and then having some other CANADIAN:canada: players to fill the roster, who aren't paid who have talent, and are looking for a contract.

It shouldn't be that players only come in if theres an injury, and thats their first game of the season

the issue is, Canadian USL teams would qualify for the Canadian Championship.
You can't exactly have TFC playing their own reserve team!

Shway
05-11-2009, 02:04 PM
the issue is, Canadian USL teams would qualify for the Canadian Championship.
You can't exactly have TFC playing their own reserve team!

Because a team qualifies does that mean they have to participate?
And if thats the case

put the team in PDL U-23?
PDL rules dictate that a maximum of eight players on each team's 26-man roster can be over 23 years old, while at least three players on each team's roster must be 18 or younger.

flatpicker
05-11-2009, 02:08 PM
^ I suppose they could have some sort of rule that certain teams would be inelegance for the tourney if they are operated by senior club.

Shway
05-11-2009, 02:24 PM
TORONTO FC RESERVE TEAM
talent pool:

GK Brian Edwards (24)
GK Jarret Humphreys (18)
DF Emmanuel Gomez (18)
DF Amadou Sanyang (19)
DF Daniel Di Baggio (18)
DF Gabe Gala (20)
DF Nana Attakora (20)
DF Casey D'Mello (18)
MF Rohan Ricketts (26) ....hes not getting proper playing time lol
MF Brennan MCNicol (17)
MF Jonathan Lao (17)
MF James Stamopoulos (18)
MF Ashtone Morgan (18)
MF Ryan McLeod (17)
MF Daniel Callabretta (18)
MF Josh Janniere (17)
FW Fuad Ibrahim (18)
FW Andre Verdugo (18)
FW Obrien White (23)
FW Allando Mattheson (17)

*Bold Denotes First Team Appearance

Yeoman
05-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Victoria is getting an USL team, right? Ottawa should try to get an USL team. Hopefully other Canadian cities (Quebec City, Winnipeg, Regina, Hamilton, Calgary, Halifax and Edmonton) get a team soon.

ottawa has one
http://www.uslsoccer.com/teams/2007/22365.html
http://www.ottawafury.com/
that I know of? they have a PDL and womens team. not sure if they have a USL 1 or 2 team though.
from pretty much what I understand with the USL; so long as your cheque for franchising doesn't bounce (okay maybe not that extreme) and you've got a place to play, you can get a team.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-11-2009, 02:34 PM
1011???
seriously though...
I am also curious about how the USL setup works.
What does it take to get a team?
What are their plans for the future (other than that parallel universe of course)

About $750k outta do the trick. That is the expansion fee for entry into USL-1. Other than that, a team would need a modest stadium, say in the order of 5-10k seats.

amistry
05-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Ottawa, Hamilton, Edmonton, Calgary and Winnipeg.:):canada:

what he said

Keystone FC
05-11-2009, 04:08 PM

The Leaveland Shitty Scars moved up from USL 2 to USL 1 after they won the USL 2 championship. We (Steel Army supporters for the Pittsburgh Riverhounds of the USL 2) basically helped them move because their fans were afraid to travel to Pittsburgh and their franchise didn't want to deal with it. So they moved up and are getting blasted for it.
Basically in the USL if you have the money and can get a place to play you can get a franchise. Most USL 1 clubs (Mon, Van, Port...etc) play in either their own stadium or a college stadium. USL 2 clubs mostly play in large High School stadiums (throw ball lines galore) or small college stadiums.

I know NY will get a club in the USL 1 and Tampa Bay will be coming back. There has been talk of Orlando coming into the USL 1 some time and Arizona keeps popping up. Of course Hmailton is a likely candidate but that depends on T.O. getting the Pan Am games.
In the USL 2 Indianapolis is likely to get a club and there have been talks of Detroit. I can see Cleveland coming back to the USL 2 fold and we (The Steel Army) will be waiting for them. I am still hopeful that Cincinnati will come back to the USL 2 which would give me a full traveling schedule between Toronto, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Cincinnati, and Detroit.
:D:flare:

troy1982
05-11-2009, 06:30 PM
San Jose in 2008
Seattle in 2009
Philadelphia in 2010

Is that mean, the USL is shrinking or they are going to promote some other teams from the divisions below?
If they are going to promote other teams, do we have any chance to have more canadian teams in the USL?

I'm not familiar with the USL system...Anyone can elaborate how it works please?

Thanks

Only 3 of those teams played in the USL-1 (San Jose and Philly weren't in the USL-1), you could add Atlanta which went into hiatus to make 4 that will leave/left by 2011. But 5 other teams will join by 2011 at the least

Cleveland (From USL-2)
Austin (New)

NYC (New)
Tampa Bay (New)
Orlando (if the rumors are right)

The USL also includes USL 2 which has 9 temas and the PDL which has about 40 teams.

troy1982
05-11-2009, 06:32 PM

Victoria is going to be playing in the PDL or USL-2 not USL-1

troy1982
05-11-2009, 06:38 PM
^ Tampa Bay Rowdies???

Good Lord that's a bad name!!!

I guess you aren't familiar with a little something called the NASL.
The name has history and its good the new team will keep the tradition.

prizby
05-11-2009, 06:45 PM

i have to disagree
those u-18's and u-16's that would make the team and thus get paid is a bad idea. I only say this because once they get paid they lose their university eligibility. If they were getting paid a small fortune, that is not a problem, but I doubt they would and a scholarship is worth a lot these days

InTheCrowd
05-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Lynx for USL again? There are rumours about it. Players don't really want to talk about it? Zizi Booba, wanna help us out here?

NF-FC
05-11-2009, 07:57 PM
Victoria is going to be playing in the PDL or USL-2 not USL-1

The Victoria Highlanders have just started their 1st season in the PDL. Their aspirations are to move to USL1 by 2011 to take Vancouver's place (allegedly)

I guess you aren't familiar with a little something called the NASL.
The name has history and its good the new team will keep the tradition.

The new logo is absolute crap though. if you thought MLS logos were weak, check these out:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5b/Tampabay_rowdies.png
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d8/ClevelandCityStars.PNG/150px-ClevelandCityStars.PNG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/e/e6/Fcnewyork.jpg/150px-Fcnewyork.jpg

NF-FC
05-11-2009, 07:58 PM
whoa, i got my sig back. blast from the past!

TorCanSoc
05-11-2009, 08:34 PM
I've posted this before. If USL would/could fight to hold their strong franchises. Seattle, Portlan, Vancouver, Montreal. Then I would argue a league to rival MLS. MLS attendance numbers (outside Seattle & Toronto) are absolute crap. What if USL up'd their salaries and fought hard to keep talent?

Could you see a merge like AFL/NFL of 1970? Two strong leagues to make one. I know, right now, the relegation stuff will never happen due to the franchise fee structure. But one day...maybe one day.

troy1982
05-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I've posted this before. If USL would/could fight to hold their strong franchises. Seattle, Portlan, Vancouver, Montreal. Then I would argue a league to rival MLS. MLS attendance numbers (outside Seattle & Toronto) are absolute crap. What if USL up'd their salaries and fought hard to keep talent?

Could you see a merge like AFL/NFL of 1970? Two strong leagues to make one. I know, right now, the relegation stuff will never happen due to the franchise fee structure. But one day...maybe one day.

why would MLS want to merge with USL and why would USL want to merge with MLS. Also keep in my that USL has about 125 teams

james
05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
one thing i hate about USL is to many teams play in Gridline covered stadiums and tho they arent as bad as NFL gridlines but Basbeball parks to.

MLS has only a few teams who still play on NFL gridline fields come september. NY,Hoston and New England. And NY are moving to there bran new SSS next season. Leaving only 2 left. Kansas move out of there ball park next year as well to a new SSS. Cant wait till MLS has no more gridline fields!!

Shway
05-11-2009, 10:14 PM
i think clevelands logo is fine

Cambridge_Red
05-11-2009, 10:23 PM
This was a debate in the van on the way back from DC.... Should MLS and USL merge and have a relegation system?

BuSaPuNk
05-11-2009, 10:51 PM
This was a debate in the van on the way back from DC.... Should MLS and USL merge and have a relegation system?

I always thought the same thing. You have to think that with most of the big USL teams now moving into the MLS the USL might have some financial problems??? Don't know just speculation.

I think it would be good for both the USL and MLS to merge and better for not only the CMNT (barring getting more Canadian teams and players invovled) but the USMNT as well. Huge structure with relegation and promotion. Pipe dream mabey but we can dream can't we. Shite Bulls and KKKrew relegated and Charleston and Montreal promoted?? :flare:

troy1982
05-11-2009, 11:51 PM
I always thought the same thing. You have to think that with most of the big USL teams now moving into the MLS the USL might have some financial problems??? Don't know just speculation.

I think it would be good for both the USL and MLS to merge and better for not only the CMNT (barring getting more Canadian teams and players invovled) but the USMNT as well. Huge structure with relegation and promotion. Pipe dream mabey but we can dream can't we. Shite Bulls and KKKrew relegated and Charleston and Montreal promoted?? :flare:

Why would MLS want to merge with the USL?

Calvin
05-12-2009, 12:34 AM
There's no shortage of PDL teams to fill the vacant slots and I'm sure the more financially stables ones would be willing to make the jump.

ummm, do you know how the PDL works? its not a sub USL league, its a summer league for college players.

Keegan
05-12-2009, 01:42 AM

The league has lost 3 of its biggest teams not its 3 biggest. Montreal is the league's jewel with a pretty large fan base, lots of money, success and their own stadium. It could be argued that Rochester, Charleston and Puerto Rico are also "big" teams in USL.

But definitely the 4 biggest teams were Montreal 1st and then the three Cascadia teams of which 2 are left and moving in 2 years.

Keystone FC
05-12-2009, 12:21 PM
The league has lost 3 of its biggest teams not its 3 biggest. Montreal is the league's jewel with a pretty large fan base, lots of money, success and their own stadium. It could be argued that Rochester, Charleston and Puerto Rico are also "big" teams in USL.

But definitely the 4 biggest teams were Montreal 1st and then the three Cascadia teams of which 2 are left and moving in 2 years.

In a league like the USL there is always a 'big' team no matter how big the city is or how much fan support they have. Yes, Seattle is gone and so will Portland and Vancouver and eventually Montreal but the USL will gain New York CITY, Tampa Bay, and possibly Phoenix. Not to mention San Francisco may be on the way back and there is always rumors about Detroit, Hartford, San Antonio, San Diego, and St. Louis.
The way I see it the USL is vital for the expansion of the MLS in franchises and support for the game itself.

Mikey in SC
05-13-2009, 02:35 PM
USL (and its past names, USISL, A-league etc) number of teams has shrank over the last couple years but i would argue that most of those teams were dead weight and hurt the league more than it helped them. currnetly only a couple USLD1 teams have less than desirable stadiume deals (Cleveland and Austin). But those are shrinking as well.

There has been alot of talk about expansion and USL teams being "promoted" on other forums. The Sounders success rest squarely on the groundwork set up by the supporters and the FO while they were in the USL. Portland and Vancouver will probably mirror Seattle if not surpass them.

We lost Atlanta this season but supposeably they were on hiatus until a decision about MLS was made. they might return next season or the following but I would be surprised.

austin has been a good addition and Cleveland has been lackluster so far but they might figure it out.

next season NYC and Tampa Bay will join and there has been ruomors of Several PDL and USLD2 teams moving up (Des Monies, Fresno, El Passo, Wilmington) All get solid numbers in their division (3500-5500 per match)

ther have been rumors of several other teams and teh USL is looking at a number addition over teh next couple years. Orlando, St. Louis, San Dieago, Okalahoma, Arizona, Hamilton, Victoria, Ottawa and even the Dominican Republic (not as far fetched as it sounds!) have all been mentioned.

another rumor is that USL D2 is going to add a west coast division, allowing several PDL teams to move up.

Also several PDL teams have Professional status. Im not sure of the details but some are designed like mentioned earlier for college players to get time in teh sumer months and some are run as professional teams where teh players are played. Infact I believe Brigham Young Universtiy has(had) a PDL team vs. a college team to avoid NCAA issues.

it is a very intricet ladder and it has issues, but it is a good league to follow.

Mikey