PDA

View Full Version : The 'Own Up' Thread

toonarmy
05-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Not sure if this has been done already, but there were a lot of us (myself included) who were writing this season off before it began and were calling for Mo's head.

I think it's safe to say that our season has been solid so far and things are looking good.

This is the place for all of us non-believers to stand up, be counted, and admit that we were wrong.

Keyman
05-31-2008, 06:28 PM
I was always in favour of MoJo. I wrote an entire article titled "In Mo We Trust", and got a lot of heat for it. Now I'm glad I wrote it, he's done an absolutely fantastic job putting this team together, starting with the signing of Carver.

However I'll own up to the fact that I completely doubted Dichio's ability, and right now, I look very wrong. He's been very good, although I still think we need a much better striker up front, because Dichio really isnt a striker.

MFG1
05-31-2008, 06:40 PM
I never called for his head, I just wanted for him to do his job. I think part of the problem for most of us before the season started was there was NO news coming from anywhere. We were hanging on to Mo's promises of quaility signings and improved team from last year, and we are getting there.

gtaguy
05-31-2008, 06:42 PM
mojo has never been the problem.. but i am sure as hell glad hes on our side..

toronto has never looked so good...

MFBODD
05-31-2008, 06:54 PM
We're 4-0-2 at home...7 goals for, 1 against. Our overall goal differential and record doesn't reflect this team...

Marco2K
05-31-2008, 07:00 PM
I will admit i was ready to hang him.

I love Smith.

Mo keep up the good work.....

Dunc
05-31-2008, 07:16 PM
I don't think it's really necessary to own up just because we were losing faith in Mo.

Look at the side we put out on the first day of the season. It took a long while for everything to fall in place. I think it was completely reasonable for everyone to be worried about it.

It's not like we ever got much info about what was going on, it was a bit difficult to keep faith in Mo. There wasn't really anything to indicate that things were going to fall together when the only slight trickle of info we were getting was a list of trialists or potential targets' positions and nationalities that sounded like he was starting a "...walked into a bar" joke.

ensco
05-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Mo gambled and won, by bringing in players late. There was nowhere else for Guevara or Robert or Tebily to go in MLS, teams were already set.

I criticized Mo in March for making training camp a waste of time. I also didn't like the way he was treating Carver

It was a risky punt but it seems to be working. And I respect Mo for giving Carver the full controls and stepping back. This is not easy to do.

Jack
05-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Can I gloat here?

I kept faith until the bitter end, when I had some traces of doubt.

London
05-31-2008, 07:44 PM
after week 2 i had fears of a worse season than last, but i always had hope and would have still showed up if we hadn't won a game yet!!!

bdrs
05-31-2008, 08:18 PM
Happy to say I never doubted. Always kept confidence MoJo had a plan for us. Then we signed the holy trinity (10,32,20) and all is right in the world. GO REDS!!!

Roogsy
05-31-2008, 09:15 PM
I will eat all the crow I can at this moment. My faith waivered.

I however do not apologize for demanding action from Mojo. In that regard, I think I did my duty.

But I should have had more faith. A pleasant instance of humble pie for me.

jabbronies
05-31-2008, 09:16 PM
Can I gloat here?

You and me both!!! I said wait until June before you cut the guys head off, give him time. He's not just going to sign players that arn't there. He waited last season and he did it again this year and got some solid guys in.

Although I do question the Rickets deal...But that's another thread I guess.

rocker
05-31-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm glad I can proudly state I defended the team and mojo in the offseason (and took a lot of heat for that) and things are coming around as I expected. :)
feels good when yer right! ;)

where's bhoybobby??? ;)

ua-kozak_TFC
05-31-2008, 09:42 PM
I will admit i was ready to hang him.

I love Smith.

Mo keep up the good work.....

you mean Carver keep up the good work... I still think mo is a bit of procrastinating tit...

twistedchinaman
05-31-2008, 09:45 PM
I admit my faith wavered too, but I still would like to see more results before I pay tribute of penitence at the shrine of MoJo.

trane
05-31-2008, 09:45 PM
I have to own up, but let us remember he only started makigng signings as the seasons started. Two weeks before the season we were the same team minus O'Brien ( it is incredible who little he is missed, he is a quality player but I forget he was with us)

JDG
05-31-2008, 09:56 PM
where's bhoybobby??? ;)

He actually changed his tune as soon as he saw things coming together weeks ago. Never miced his words. Cirticized what needed it, and was big enough to give praise as soon as it was merited.

Cashcleaner
05-31-2008, 10:34 PM
I had some doubts from time to time and DID critique his skills on the touchline, but I knew he was gonna bring in a Head Coach to deal specifically with matchday duties and tactical responsibilities. A lot of our current level of play has to do with Carver's decisions, and the decision to instill him at the helm of the roster was all Mo's.

bhoybobby
05-31-2008, 11:40 PM
It's been done already. MoJo will get even more kudo's when we make the play-offs, maybe even sooner if he can ditch Cunny & somehow get McBride in a TFC uniform

James Oliphant
05-31-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm a "Mo Apologist", and I'm proud of it.

Thanks for the title, bhoybobby. ;)

stugautz
06-01-2008, 01:40 AM
I'll admit I got worried when we went into the season opener in Columbus and made no real additions to the team. I still would have preferred to see these guys go through camp together and not get my first view of Rohan Ricketts at shoeless joes for the 4-1 loss to DC. That being said, I think Mo has done a great job of silencing critics like myself. As for a DP...one would be great, but I'd prefer we find a way to win without one.

Cashcleaner
06-01-2008, 01:53 AM
As for a DP...one would be great, but I'd prefer we find a way to win without one.At the moment it certainy doesn't seem like it's a priority for us, but my only concern is that we'll be left in the dust if all the other teams in the league start augmenting their rosters with top-level DPs. To me it feels like we'll see a bit of a rush in 2009-2010 with a multitude of MLS teams signing these sort of players left, right, and centre. It will be a race that I don't particularly want us to be last in.

Draracle
06-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Mo did the smartest thing he could -- brought in Carver and Winsper. Those two guys have made an epic amount of difference. And Mo can focus on his true love, running the business end and fleecing the league on draft day.

Rawkus_420
06-01-2008, 09:29 AM
I think the problem is, is that the majority of you are leaf fans and are used to getting fucked around all the time, therefore you all have short fuses when it comes to that.

I always knew we would have a better season, I knew we had the money, it was just a matter of using some f it sooner for me.

BeachRed
06-01-2008, 09:40 AM
When I first started reading this board I was quite surprised how many people seemed to expect the team to carry out player negotiations in public - as if there were no other teams they were competing with. And, how many people seemed to feel that there were a lot of players just standing around not under contract waiting to be called. It seems to me the managing job isn't so much about actions but reactions - being ready and able to pounce when an opportunity comes along - much like scoring goals.

I've learned a huge amount about the game on the field from this board (of course, I knew pretty much nothing six months ago, so any little bit I learned would be a lot) and I really appreciate it, but I've always found it weird how people can make such extreme statements about what goes on behind closed doors - big assumptions with no real evidence.

Christoff
06-01-2008, 09:55 AM
Can I gloat here?

I was in the same boat my friend! not only that i was one of the few people saying we would be mid table this season and got shit from both the people who thought we would win it all and the people that thought we would be last place again.
In my eyes Mo never did anything for me to not have faith in him, he has always kept his promises and hes told us little for good reason, and deep down we all know that, im pleased with where we are right now. yes a good striker would be awesome, but we are a 2nd year team and doing pretty well for ourselves, my hope is the DP comes when the DP comes, id rather see them hold out for a few seasons and sign the likes of a 27 year old beckham or something along those lines, then sign a beckham, ew.

jabbronies
06-01-2008, 11:02 AM
It's been done already. MoJo will get even more kudo's when we make the play-offs, maybe even sooner if he can ditch Cunny & somehow get McBride in a TFC uniform

McBride is not coming to T.O.
but I have faith in Mo, I'm sure he will get something worth while for it

Denis
06-01-2008, 06:19 PM
I did say I didn't think Mo should be near the team and that someone else should be in charge of the team. However, Carver is showing so far to be doing a good job and Mo upstairs is better than Mo on the touchline.

Never bought into the depression on here. Thought playoffs were a sensible target.

Toronto_Bhoy
06-01-2008, 08:38 PM
At the moment it certainy doesn't seem like it's a priority for us, but my only concern is that we'll be left in the dust if all the other teams in the league start augmenting their rosters with top-level DPs. To me it feels like we'll see a bit of a rush in 2009-2010 with a multitude of MLS teams signing these sort of players left, right, and centre. It will be a race that I don't particularly want us to be last in.

In having said that…this is where the salary cap really takes hold.

Can Chicago take McBride on?…What's their DP situation? They already have Blanco…New York can't…

And look at the Galaxy…two DP quality players and their absolute shite!

Mo has been cagey…no doubt…I gave him to the mid point of the season but he is already getting a passing grade from me…

Oldtimer
06-01-2008, 09:04 PM

I had started to wonder myself, but then decided that it was unwise to judge things until mid June, when we would see who Mo would bring in from abroad.

We didn't even have to wait until June, and Mo has brought in some excellent talent, some through Carver's connections (who Mo hired), and some on his own.

There is still cap room, and Mo probably still has a player or two up his sleeve. We're in excellent shape. :)