PDA

View Full Version : My First Away Game Experience

Calvin
05-10-2009, 11:23 PM
I had a wonderful time this weekend in DC, the fact that it was one of the most exciting games I've see period, only added to that.

I will break my most memorable experiences into bite sized stories:

1) RFK Stadium is filled with Toronto Dominion or TD ATMs. With lineups of DC United fans at the ATMs around the stadium I could not resist asking some questions. I first approached a fully decked out fan (scarf, latest jersey etc..), and asked "Do you know what the T in TD stands for?", he said he didn't, I told him it stood for the same thing as the T in Toronto FC. By the end of my night I enlightened a number of DC fans, regardless of if they were ecstatic to hear the brutal truth. I suppose they would be happy to hear that TD is the rival of our sponsor BMO.

2) Unlike most of our fans, I sat amongst the DC fans, I was actually at the game with my brother and nephew, who live nearby. I spent the first goal in the Stratosphere with the main group of TFC fans. Back in my seat, on our second goal, I stood proudly celebrating with scarf in hand . When DC scored after that, a dude, about my age, came racing down the stairs to my seat, so he could flash his DC jersey in my face and scream in joy. As he walked back to his seat I thought to my self "what a douche bag". Luckily two minutes later we scored. I, without hesitation, charged up the stairs pointing at my new nemesis found him and gave him a heavy dose of his own medicine. He took it well, laughing and we pounded on it. Next, they got the penalty shot. Of course my friend came down the stairs and plopped down right beside me, as he put his arm around my shoulder he said "im watching this with you buddy". Of course they scored and he was cool about it. He wanted a picture together and I got one with him. All in all my experience with DC fans was one of respect.

3) On my way from RFK to the subway (the DC subway is basically in hell as far as depth is concerned, but this has to be one of the most beautiful cities ive ever seen), I had two more positive experiences with DC fans. TFC supporters brought a banner supporting the club staying at its historic, long standing and community tied home in RFK stadium. Some DC supporter, again about my age, came up to me and said "I don't know if you were a part of that banner, but I want you to know that we really appreciated that, It meant a lot to us". I had nothing to do with it, so if you did, pat yourself on the back and if you know who was responsible forward this message. He also added that there are some negative social implications with the new stadium, as low income housing units are going to be destroyed. We talked about the game, he mentioned that we had some beautiful goals, and was overall a class act. A few minutes later a group of Screaming Eagles respectfully said thanks for coming to the game.

My respect for the league, its fans and my team has grown tremendously. I recommend you all go on the road at least once, if you haven't already, whether its with just some friends or the RPBs.

Thanks, Calvin

Brooker
05-10-2009, 11:48 PM
cool stories. glad u had a blast.

ArsenalSooner
05-11-2009, 12:28 AM
not only was dc my first away trip but my first tfc match ever! i had a great time with all the rpb and nee people. it was a great experience and i couldnt have asked for a better match (well, three points would have been nice). both toronto and dc supporters were great. after the match i went to arlington, va and saw a number of united fans and they were all great to me. i cant wait to make it out again to support the reds!

- scott from oklahoma

InTheCrowd
05-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Sounds great!

I've been to Columbus, but no other away game. Hopefully I can make the New York one. Anyway, glad to hear you liked it. Hopefully you'll be going to more TFC away games!

onemanbarmyarmy
05-11-2009, 06:57 AM
D.C. is the best away game hands down. NY and CHI are good for the nightlife but D.C. is tops for the Footy experience. As far as most beautiful city(?) you really should get out more.

Calvin
05-11-2009, 09:14 AM
D.C. is the best away game hands down. NY and CHI are good for the nightlife but D.C. is tops for the Footy experience. As far as most beautiful city(?) you really should get out more.

considering ive lived in egypt, montreal, mexico and been to paris, london (basically every city with over a million people in western europe), vienna, venice, rome etc. etc. ive been out. and the historic part of DC tops most of that. its very impressive.

alexintoronto
05-11-2009, 09:52 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3518493183_515ea2468b_o.jpg

Suds
05-11-2009, 09:57 AM
Sounds great!

I've been to Columbus, but no other away game. Hopefully I can make the New York one. Anyway, glad to hear you liked it. Hopefully you'll be going to more TFC away games!

I constantly hear from other supporters how the away matches with the smaller groups are so much more fun than Columbus (which are the only away games I have yet to make).

So I'm definitely planning on making one of the other away games this year ... and hopefully an away playoff game too :scarf:

C.Ronaldo
05-11-2009, 10:26 AM
DC is on my list for next year.

it would be so awesome to go visit them in a new kick ass soccer stadium

Bluenose13
05-11-2009, 10:37 AM
I constantly hear from other supporters how the away matches with the smaller groups are so much more fun than Columbus (which are the only away games I have yet to make).

So I'm definitely planning on making one of the other away games this year ... and hopefully an away playoff game too :scarf:It really is true ;)

BBBulldog
05-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Of course my friend came down the stairs and plopped down right beside me, as he put his arm around my shoulder he said "im watching this with you buddy".

That's one of funniest things I read on this board :D

:cheers:

Roogsy
05-11-2009, 11:02 AM
^ Why can't opposing fans get along like this always? Some good old fashioned ribbing. Supporting your own team. But at the end of the day we are all football fans loving the beautiful game?

Thanks Calvin...sounds like a great trip. I enjoyed my first trip to DC United as well...

sulfur
05-11-2009, 01:59 PM
I had tons of fun this weekend... despite getting 12 hours of sleep from Friday @6am through to well... now.

When we showed up for the march, there was so much appreciation from the DC people for our support for their cause. Then their applauding us at the end of the game.

Of course, I cannot discount my 80 minute tour of the Washington Mall. Done at a speed just short of a jog. Heheh.

kodiakTFC
05-11-2009, 02:04 PM
1) RFK Stadium is filled with Toronto Dominion or TD ATMs. With lineups of DC United fans at the ATMs around the stadium I could not resist asking some questions. I first approached a fully decked out fan (scarf, latest jersey etc..), and asked "Do you know what the T in TD stands for?", he said he didn't, I told him it stood for the same thing as the T in Toronto FC. By the end of my night I enlightened a number of DC fans, regardless of if they were ecstatic to hear the brutal truth. I suppose they would be happy to hear that TD is the rival of our sponsor BMO.

Do you know what the M in BMO Field stands for?

AL-MO
05-11-2009, 02:05 PM
You have to spend an away trip in our section. Once you sing and jump for 90 minutes with RPB/NEE and others its like nothing else.

Sonny Cheeba
05-11-2009, 02:13 PM
don't the Carolina Hurricane's and Boston Bruins play with RBC and TD sponsors respectively?
RBC Centura and TD Waterhouse.

i doubt many people really care what the letters in those acronyms mean.

it's like asking me what HSBC stands for. all i know is, it's the bank of hong kong or some shit. i don't really care though.

glad you had a good time. good stories too.

ACSertL
05-11-2009, 02:24 PM
don't the Carolina Hurricane's and Boston Bruins play with RBC and TD sponsors respectively?

it's like asking me what HSBC stands for. all i know is, it's the bank of hong kong or some shit. i don't really care though.

In Buffalo it stands for Hot Sauce, Blue Cheese :)

Roogsy
05-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Of course, I cannot discount my 80 minute tour of the Washington Mall. Done at a speed just short of a jog. Heheh.

Having finally seen it for myself at the last DC trip...kudos to you!

EdTheRed
05-11-2009, 05:44 PM

Heh...you are correct, sir. The Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (and yeah, they spell Hong Kong "Hongkong" in the bank name). Of course, they pulled a KFC and now HSBC is some big parent company where the initials don't mean anything, but the original Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation Ltd. is still a subsidiary.

Glad those of you who made the trip had a good time. We really did appreciate the folks who marched with us, as well as the NEE banner. Also nice to hear that our security treated you properly - they seem to have improved over time; we haven't dealt with them in years, since MPD (Metropolitan Police Department, the main municipal police force in DC) has done the security for the supporters' sections at RFK for years.

BBBulldog
05-11-2009, 07:28 PM
we haven't dealt with them in years, since MPD (Metropolitan Police Department, the main municipal police force in DC) has done the security for the supporters' sections at RFK for years.

we just delt with them 2 weeks ago. But they bought pizza and sodas for meeting so it wasn't bad :D

GeorgeB
05-11-2009, 07:36 PM
we just delt with them 2 weeks ago. But they bought pizza and sodas for meeting so it wasn't bad :DLOL our FO has been using this tactic at meetings too.

james
05-11-2009, 10:28 PM
ive never been to DC yet. Just Montreal and Columbus. But had the most respect for DC just from watching there support on TV back in 2007. They got top notch supporters with the Drums, banners, and flags. I would be pissed if they had to fold or move cities. DC help make MLS supporters look good, they look more like a match being played in South America, its awsome.

Calvin
05-11-2009, 11:22 PM
Do you know what the M in BMO Field stands for?

yeah, im well aware. i think that is pretty clear in the last line of that story.