PDA

View Full Version : Carver to Newcastle ??

denime
05-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Ex-Toronto FC coach Carver to join Shearer's Newcastle

John Carver is being linked with a return to Newcastle United. The Mail on Sunday says the likelihood of Alan Shearer staying in charge increased when Sir Bobby Robson's former No.2 at the club Carver returned to the North-East after resigning as manager of MLS club Toronto.

Read More (http://www.tribalfootball.com/ex-toronto-fc-coach-carver-join-shearers-newcastle-243594)

Sir Bobby urges Newcastle boss Shearer to add Carver to backroom team

Sir Bobby Robson has urged Alan Shearer to add John Carver to his Newcastle United coaching staff.
In his column for the Mail on Sunday, Robson wrote: "My former No2 at Newcastle, John Carver, came back to England this weekend having resigned as manager of MLS side Toronto.
"Even though the team were doing extremely well, John felt his job was being undermined by decisions being taken against his wishes 'upstairs'.

Read More (http://www.tribalfootball.com/sir-bobby-urges-newcastle-boss-shearer-add-carver-backroom-team-243608)

denime
05-10-2009, 08:07 AM
Thoughts ?

LucaGol
05-10-2009, 08:10 AM
Ex-Toronto FC coach Carver to join Shearer's Newcastle

John Carver is being linked with a return to Newcastle United. The Mail on Sunday says the likelihood of Alan Shearer staying in charge increased when Sir Bobby Robson's former No.2 at the club Carver returned to the North-East after resigning as manager of MLS club Toronto.

Read More (http://www.tribalfootball.com/ex-toronto-fc-coach-carver-join-shearers-newcastle-243594)

Sir Bobby urges Newcastle boss Shearer to add Carver to backroom team

Sir Bobby Robson has urged Alan Shearer to add John Carver to his Newcastle United coaching staff.
In his column for the Mail on Sunday, Robson wrote: "My former No2 at Newcastle, John Carver, came back to England this weekend having resigned as manager of MLS side Toronto.
"Even though the team were doing extremely well, John felt his job was being undermined by decisions being taken against his wishes 'upstairs'.

Read More (http://www.tribalfootball.com/sir-bobby-urges-newcastle-boss-shearer-add-carver-backroom-team-243608)

:rolleyes:

SoccMan
05-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Carver was not the right fit for Toronto and it showed on the field. I think he makes a decent assistant coach but I can't realy see him being a good head coach for anyone at the top level.

Brooker
05-10-2009, 08:16 AM
have fun in the championship, johnny.

Mikey
05-10-2009, 08:22 AM
have fun in the championship, johnny.

If he's making on field and tactical decisions for them, Newcastle will go straight down through the championship next year as well.

I think they are only considering the position of gopher for Shearer.

Waggy
05-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Good on him. He gets to go back to his hometown club? Thats not a bad plan B. Good luck John! We'll be following

Oldtimer
05-10-2009, 08:23 AM
No big shock. I'm happy for him. The man is passionate about football.

He doesn't seem able to handle the stresses of being a head coach. I'm sure that the fit with being an assistant Shearer would be excellent.

OneLoveOneEric
05-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I heard he was going to work at the circus with Keegan.

Flipityflu
05-10-2009, 08:39 AM
heeeheeeheeeheee

carver's a number 2

heeeheeeeheeehee

Mark in Ottawa
05-10-2009, 08:43 AM
No one here can be surprised.
JC is a geordie thru and thru.

dag
05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Traitor.

ensco
05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Massive uncertainty around the Newcastle situation (will the team be sold? will the team stay up? will Shearer stay if they don't stay up?).

This is extremely hypothetical.

Waggy
05-10-2009, 09:10 AM
Yes. lets laugh at the man for being number 2 at NEWCASTLE. Clearly a step down from running an mls team. Especially considering the name is FROM Newcastle. :banghead:

Daveisonfire
05-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Tribal football is a credible source now?

koryo
05-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Yes. lets laugh at the man for being number 2 at NEWCASTLE. Clearly a step down from running an mls team. Especially considering the name is FROM Newcastle. :banghead:

Being #2 at a relegated Newcastle is still a bigger job than managing TFC. Well said, Waggy.

Beach_Red
05-10-2009, 09:28 AM
Being #2 at a relegated Newcastle is still a bigger job than managing TFC. Well said, Waggy.

There's nothing wrong with being an excellent number two. Not everyone is suited to be number one - at any level.

Good luck to Carver, I hope he does well.

koryo
05-10-2009, 09:29 AM
There's nothing wrong with being an excellent number two. Not everyone is suited to be number one - at any level.

Good luck to Carver, I hope he does well.

Again, well said.

bee dubya
05-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Isn't Ian Dowie currently Shearer's #2? Is that going to change in the off-season or would they just add Carver as another bench coach/assistant 1st team coach? I suppose it might give Newcastle good cover should someone offer Dowie a managerial position elsewhere.

denime
05-10-2009, 09:44 AM

You missed one part from Tribal football article:

And here is their source:The Mail on Sunday

Shepherd ready to buy back Newcastle if they go down

The likelihood of Shearer taking over increased when Robson's former No.2 at the club John Carver returned to the North-East after resigning as manager of MLS club Toronto.

Carver is likely to return to Newcastle in some capacity if Shearer does take the manager's job

Read More (http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/sport/football/article-1179893/Shepherd-ready-buy-Newcastle-down.html)

AL-MO
05-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Honestly......MEH

I'd rather focus on whats going on here. Things are going well.

Flipityflu
05-10-2009, 10:02 AM

i was laughing at a infantile poo joke reference thank you very much.

ilikemusic
05-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Obviously near any job at Newcastle is better than big cheese at an MLS club, but I still think it's bullshit of him (if these reports are true).

'Personal issues' was really just a load of shit because he didnt have the balls to say 'I want to go back to Newcastle' (if these reports are true).

I hope we never see another 'In *coachnamehere* we trust' banner unless it's some guy who has actually proven his mettle and his loyalty.

Dont just make up the slogan because you want to.

AL-MO
05-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Obviously near any job at Newcastle is better than big cheese at an MLS club, but I still think it's bullshit of him (if these reports are true).

'Personal issues' was really just a load of shit because he didnt have the balls to say 'I want to go back to Newcastle' (if these reports are true).

I hope we never see another 'In *coachnamehere* we trust' banner unless it's some guy who has actually proven his mettle and his loyalty.

Dont just make up the slogan because you want to.

You say this, like a crime was committed when people made that banner. I agree that a banner or that nature should only be made for a coach who has some success and whatnot, but it wasn't the end of the world. People poured their time into that banner. And I respect them for that. They have done more than alot of other people on this board thats for sure.

Bloor West FC
05-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Cool to say I had drinks with Carver. He is a great guy and I wish him well in Newcastle!

ilikemusic
05-10-2009, 10:52 AM
You say this, like a crime was committed when people made that banner. I agree that a banner or that nature should only be made for a coach who has some success and whatnot, but it wasn't the end of the world. People poured their time into that banner. And I respect them for that. They have done more than alot of other people on this board thats for sure.

It wasnt simply the banner. I could care less about the banner.

It was the mindset. It was people printing up shirts, and ending their posts, and essentially adopting 'In Carver We Trust' as a personal mantra.

It was never necessary and it was never warranted.

People only did it because they wanted to create a sense of loyalty that was not actually there and when you do something like that it is never going to end well.

I liken it to people in a relationship only seeing what they want to see in their partner.

The 'In Carver We Trust' mindset was not conducive to objective thought or rational opinions.

In the way that idiots bring flares to games because they feel that is what theyre supposed to do, I thought people made up that 'In Carver We Trust' slogan because they felt it was something they were supposed to do.

Hell, I would bet the slogan made Carver himself a little uncomfortable. He probably always knew he wasnt here for the long haul. Im sure he would never want to 'dupe' anybody, and yet here were these fans just begging to have the rug pulled out from under them.

drewski
05-10-2009, 10:58 AM
good luck JC!

I'l be cheering for you and year team, except when they play manchester united of course

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-10-2009, 11:02 AM
Good luck to JC ...

TFC OZZ
05-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Good for him. Hopefully he and Toronto FC retain a strong relationship, and we can form some kind of partnership with Newcastle United FC in the near future.

MartinUtd
05-10-2009, 11:25 AM
I have a feeling the Allan Shearer experiment is going to end like the Gary McAllister one at Leeds.

Bobo
05-10-2009, 11:33 AM
He deserves to do what makes him most happy, which I think is returning. His qualities make him a much more effective assistant.

TFC_Toon
05-10-2009, 12:09 PM
He deserves to do what makes him most happy, which I think is returning. His qualities make him a much more effective assistant.

Agreed Bobo.

We are into the post Johnny Carver era now and Cummins has so far gotten it right, time to move on for me.

All the best and good luck JC, at Newcastle we certainly need it.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Agreed Bobo.

We are into the post Johnny Carver era now and Cummins has so far gotten it right, time to move on for me.

All the best and good luck JC, at Newcastle we certainly need it.

almost right..giving up 3 goals in a match...still work in progress...Carver deseves success, if the league (MLS) forced him out for not being on the sdielines, hes better off back in England/

nascarguy
05-10-2009, 12:23 PM
yeah i know :rolleyes:

rocker
05-10-2009, 01:20 PM
almost right..giving up 3 goals in a match...still work in progress...

John Carver managed games in which TFC gave up 3 goals too.
Carver TFC gave up 7 goals in 5 games.
Cummins TFC has given up only 4 goals in 5 games.

I liked Carver but by any objective measure Cummins has been superior.

Beach_Red
05-10-2009, 01:26 PM
& his patience for working for a backstabbing prick like Mo. Contractually he couldn't say Mo's an asshole.

Maybe he shouldn't have taken the job in the first place if that's how he feels. Or do you think he'd never heard of Mo before he took his money?

Redcoe15
05-10-2009, 01:35 PM
His heart was always with the Magpies. Here's hoping he finds happiness there.

ensco
05-10-2009, 01:46 PM
ilikemusic, we totally disagree on what happened with Carver (I don't think he quit), but in your second post you are making a subtle but important point!

We need more posts like this.

Dirk Diggler
05-10-2009, 02:18 PM

It was the mindset. It was people printing up shirts, and ending their posts, and essentially adopting 'In Carver We Trust' as a personal mantra.

People only did it because they wanted to create a sense of loyalty that was not actually there and when you do something like that it is never going to end well.

I liken it to people in a relationship only seeing what they want to see in their partner.

The 'In Carver We Trust' mindset was not conducive to objective thought or rational opinions.

In the way that idiots bring flares to games because they feel that is what theyre supposed to do, I thought people made up that 'In Carver We Trust' slogan because they felt it was something they were supposed to do.

Hell, I would bet the slogan made Carver himself a little uncomfortable. He probably always knew he wasnt here for the long haul. Im sure he would never want to 'dupe' anybody, and yet here were these fans just begging to have the rug pulled out from under them.

I completely agree with this entire post.

VPjr
05-10-2009, 02:53 PM
this is not a surprise at all. despite all the protestations that "JC doesn't have anything lined up in England" the truth is that he did but that they were going to take their sweet time to announce his next role so as not to look like a complete ass who abandons his team 5-6 games into the season for a better job. Anyone who believes anything else is fooling themselves.

I'm thrilled as can be that he's gone. I never comprehended the "in JC we trust" crap because the man accomplished absolutely nothing as the manager of this squad.

Goodbye JC. He is a passionate man that knows his football but simply not cut out for the job as #1 boss. Going back to being a #2 seems more his speed.

Sullivan
05-10-2009, 04:37 PM

Now that's some amusing reading, ....

Spot on!

and a thank you and best of luck to Mr. Carver, regardless where he lands.

And may the supporters continue to support TFC, in whatever fashion that said supporter may choose.

London
05-10-2009, 04:47 PM
never liked him, glad he.s gone!!!

close thread!!!

Cuz
05-10-2009, 04:51 PM
I'm with RPBLondon. He fucking bailed! Fuck him! Hope he has fun in the Championship League!

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-10-2009, 05:10 PM
John Carver managed games in which TFC gave up 3 goals too.
Carver TFC gave up 7 goals in 5 games.
Cummins TFC has given up only 4 goals in 5 games.

I liked Carver but by any objective measure Cummins has been superior.

fair enough..our defence is leaky..if TFC make any move in the europe off season please strenghen the defence!!:scarf:

Dub Narcotic
05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
It's funny to compare these posts about Carver with the old posts about Edu when he left after dogging his last season here. If you do a shitty job and then quit on TFC, make sure you are British so everyone thinks you are some sort of football god who is too good for the league rather than a mediocre failure.

AL-MO
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Now that's some amusing reading, ....

Sullivan,

Care to tell us how many flags/banners/tifos you have made for the team?

Wait...I think I may know the answer to that question! :rolleyes:

boban
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Thoughts ?
Good riddance. I was never a fan of the guy as a coach.
Good for him to find employment but he never did much for TFC.

Razcle
05-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Your absolutely right...its not like we are talking about Leeds here:(

prizby
05-10-2009, 07:05 PM
come on, you this was expected...it was the first thing that crossed my mind when Carver quit

Chevy
05-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Prediction: In a year's time someone will start a "What ever happened to John Carver" thread.

Nice guy, fair coach, but he will be very easily forgotten.

Oldtimer
05-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Good riddance. I was never a fan of the guy as a coach.
I'm pretty sure he convinced Mo to get Serioux, as Mo let him pick the team (Mo himself didn't rate Serioux). He also brought us Cummins. So even though Cummins is clearly a better tactician, if we win the Cup, Carver will have had some hand in that. So lets not **** on the guy. He didn't work out, lets move on.

koryo
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM

Are you jilted or just thick?

prizby
05-10-2009, 09:46 PM
didn't he say he'd be back to attend a game in the future?

Shway
05-10-2009, 09:53 PM
John Car-ver, CARVER
he- kiss-ess-the-badge-on-his-chest
and-puts-in-a-resig-nation-re-quest
John Car-ver, Carver

Pachuco
05-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I promised to myself this man isn't worth even mentioning anymore. So I'll leave it at that ;)

Cambridge_Red
05-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Carver wherever you may be you can coach in your home country....dododo... :D

scooter
05-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Good for him. Hopefully he and Toronto FC retain a strong relationship, and we can form some kind of partnership with Newcastle United FC in the near future.

now someones thinking

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2009, 08:02 AM
Good luck Carver. I enjoyed what you brought to MLS.

boban
05-11-2009, 08:07 AM
Are you jilted or just thick?
Sorry for not suffering with blurred vision.

romburgundy
05-11-2009, 08:44 AM
Good luck Carver hope all goes well for you!

In Carver I trusted & he betrayed that trust.

Is it Mo's fault?
Is it the refs?
Is it the league?

Who cares!
You just don't make an exit like that!
Am I pissed? Not anymore but you damn right I was.

He's not the first or last coach that arrived a hero and exited a villan.

Time to move on kids.

Northern Soul
05-11-2009, 11:31 AM
It's funny to compare these posts about Carver with the old posts about Edu when he left after dogging his last season here. If you do a shitty job and then quit on TFC, make sure you are British so everyone thinks you are some sort of football god who is too good for the league rather than a mediocre failure.

:rolleyes:

Roogsy
05-11-2009, 11:45 AM
This thread makes me sad.

Whatever his "crime" that some of you guys act like he has done, Carver gave his all to this team. And this is the thanks he gets.

He gave his all (isn't that what we wanted?) then he reached his breaking point. Whether or not you understand or sympathize with him, the point is he wanted to make things work and they didn't. But for that, you guys crap all over the guy now that he may have found work elsewhere.

Some of you people disgust me. Carver was a Red...more Red than some of you. I'd put money on that.

Disagree with his knowledge, skill, experience...whatever...all you want. But disrespecting the man isn't something I can appreciate.

The Kingpin
05-11-2009, 11:48 AM
It's so funny - there is this expectation for the modern player to have some sort of loyalty - but fans have less tolerance and loyalty than players. A man put his heart and soul behind a club and did not perform to expectations, shoot him in front of his family. The reactions here display...

The Kingpin
05-11-2009, 11:49 AM

Whatever his "crime" that some of you guys act like he has done, Carver gave his all to this team. And this is the thanks he gets.

He gave his all (isn't that what we wanted?) then he reached his breaking point. Whether or not you understand or sympathize with him, the point is he wanted to make things work and they didn't. But for that, you guys crap all over the guy now that he may have found work elsewhere.

Some of you people disgust me. Carver was a Red...more Red than some of you. I'd put money on that.

Disagree with his knowledge, skill, experience...whatever...all you want. But disrespecting the man isn't something I can appreciate.

Wow - only seconds apart... You owe me a beer!

Roogsy
05-11-2009, 11:50 AM
LOL!

We were bound to agree on something PK...

The Kingpin
05-11-2009, 11:51 AM
LOL!

We were bound to agree on something PK...

It happens - it's my moments of extreme passion that hurt me... Hmmmm... Similarities??? Maybe it's an Irish/Geordie thing...

romburgundy
05-11-2009, 12:06 PM
You're right the man had passion for the team, which is why this came as a huge blow to most. I don't know that I would have done any different if I was coaching a team in Norway div5 (not sure why Norway but go with it) and TFC came knocking for an assistant. ONCE A RED ALWAYS A RED and I wish him all the best!

Pachuco
05-11-2009, 12:15 PM

But surely you can understand that people feel betrayed and disrespected by Carver no? I mean, respect goes both ways. He had a chance to walk away from the team with little impact in pre-season. He knew what he was getting into and he continued his contract with the team. Once he made the decision, he needed to stick with it or in a way, he knew he was betraying the team. He made what I consider a childish and selfish decision 6 games into the season and for that, I don't respect him one bit.

Roogsy
05-11-2009, 12:28 PM
No, I don't understand their sense of "betrayal" because for the most part, the people who are most vocal in their disrespect for the man are the people who wanted him out in the first place. So where this sense of "betrayal" comes from I don't know, they certainly didn't show him any loyalty when he was here to begin with.

Those of us who were Carver supporters to begin with are the ones that, if we felt there was reason to feel so, could feel betrayed. And yet we understand that sometimes you step out of the way for the benefit of others, whether it be the organization, the team, your family or even yourself. He moved on, the team has been on a winning trend, everyone should be happy. And yet here we are still shitting on the man on what should be a neutral subject, the fact that he MAY have landed a job elsewhere. It boggles my mind how petty people can be.

trane
05-11-2009, 12:31 PM

I always agreed with this view. I did not think he was cutting it, but I never doubted his commitment. I did not want to post in this thread, becasue his era is over, but the negativity is too much. There is no reason to be bitter toward him.

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
But surely you can understand that people feel betrayed and disrespected by Carver no? I mean, respect goes both ways. He had a chance to walk away from the team with little impact in pre-season. He knew what he was getting into and he continued his contract with the team. Once he made the decision, he needed to stick with it or in a way, he knew he was betraying the team. He made what I consider a childish and selfish decision 6 games into the season and for that, I don't respect him one bit.

This is all based on the point that "he knew what he was getting into". Carver said that he tried to take his issues to the league, different than how he handled issues last year, and was stonewalled. When the league wouldn't address his concerns he did what he thought would get their attention.

Now clearly you don't take the man at his word. I do.

Pachuco
05-11-2009, 12:48 PM
This is all based on the point that "he knew what he was getting into". Carver said that he tried to take his issues to the league, different than how he handled issues last year, and was stonewalled. When the league wouldn't address his concerns he did what he thought would get their attention.

Yeah but Mo clearly said that it was MLSE, NOT the league who asked him to sit. Somebody's obviously lying. I tend to believe the guy is still dedicates his time to the team then the guy who ran away.

Anyhow, I agree with Trane. The Carver era is over, we should really move on. That's it for me in this thread.

Pachuco
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
No, I don't understand their sense of "betrayal" because for the most part, the people who are most vocal in their disrespect for the man are the people who wanted him out in the first place. So where this sense of "betrayal" comes from I don't know, they certainly didn't show him any loyalty when he was here to begin with.

Those of us who were Carver supporters to begin with are the ones that, if we felt there was reason to feel so, could feel betrayed. And yet we understand that sometimes you step out of the way for the benefit of others, whether it be the organization, the team, your family or even yourself. He moved on, the team has been on a winning trend, everyone should be happy. And yet here we are still shitting on the man on what should be a neutral subject, the fact that he MAY have landed a job elsewhere. It boggles my mind how petty people can be.

And Roogsy, you are right, I shouldn't feel betrayed. But there are some in here that have openly admitted to being Carver supporters and feeling betrayed once he left. So your point really only applies to some. I personally think he betrayed his players and the club, therefore, I can't respect him. That's it. sorry had to respond.

Beach_Red
05-11-2009, 12:57 PM

No, he did what was right for himself - a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

I don't understand why it can't simply be that for a variety of reasons, the man decided that the job and the situation wasn't for him and he left? People do it all the time.

I hope he does well in whatever job he gets next and I hope Cummins can deal with the league the way it is like every coach in MLS does, because although it's changing a little bit every year, no matter how much a coach gets "their attention," it's not going to change that much.

Fort York Redcoat
05-11-2009, 01:07 PM
Yeah but Mo clearly said that it was MLSE, NOT the league who asked him to sit. Somebody's obviously lying. I tend to believe the guy is still dedicates his time to the team then the guy who ran away.

Anyhow, I agree with Trane. The Carver era is over, we should really move on. That's it for me in this thread.

Fine. Mo dedicates his time to the team and has to represent the MLSE and the league. Carver can speak his side without the league or MLSE interfering now and I believe him.

Parkdale
05-11-2009, 01:14 PM
this is not a surprise at all. despite all the protestations that "JC doesn't have anything lined up in England" the truth is that he did but that they were going to take their sweet time to announce his next role so as not to look like a complete ass who abandons his team 5-6 games into the season for a better job. Anyone who believes anything else is fooling themselves.

agree with that. I'm sure he made a few phone calls and got a verbal agreement from New Castle before he gave TFC his walking papers.

Dirk Diggler
05-11-2009, 06:56 PM
agree with that. I'm sure he made a few phone calls and got a verbal agreement from New Castle before he gave TFC his walking papers.

Absolutely ... he'd need to be extremely daft not to have secured a future gig before handing in the papers for the current job. Even the most ardent Carver apologists would have to agree with this.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-11-2009, 07:01 PM

Carver did a great job here considering whay he had to work with. he never quit of the team, just reverse that the team (players and management) quit on him which was really sad as both should have been
professional in working with Carver.

Toronto_Bhoy
05-11-2009, 09:31 PM
This thread and Carver has been blown totally out of proportion. All this talk of his passion and commitment is absolute rubbish…I want that on the pitch from players…not the touchline or in a press conference from a coach. I couldn’t give a shit if he sat on the bench all game…its what happens on the field that matters.

People here talk about the great job he did? He had 11 wins in 36 games…about .300 winning percentage…which is only good in baseball, last I looked! His antics on the touchline, along with his idiotic comments about the league and refs after he quit, left his players and the club in an awkward position moving forward but thats okay ‘cause he’s away and doesn’t need to worry about it. Personally, when he called out some of his players publicly last season, the flag went up for me. Classless…but folk here were all ready erecting a statue. How do you think that went over in the dressing room…just like any other work place. Good coaches don’t do that, they just don’t.

If you read some of the comments here you’d think he was Bill Shankly or Jock Stein. IMO, he wasn’t even average coach, I saw nothing tactically that impressed and his record proved it.

He served his purpose as a replacement for the real problem with this team…Mo.

Quitting 6 games into a new season…give me a fuckin’ break…let’s move on…

boban
05-11-2009, 11:23 PM
This thread and Carver has been blown totally out of proportion. All this talk of his passion and commitment is absolute rubbish…I want that on the pitch from players…not the touchline or in a press conference from a coach. I couldn’t give a shit if he sat on the bench all game…its what happens on the field that matters.

People here talk about the great job he did? He had 11 wins in 36 games…about .300 winning percentage…which is only good in baseball, last I looked! His antics on the touchline, along with his idiotic comments about the league and refs after he quit, left his players and the club in an awkward position moving forward but thats okay ‘cause he’s away and doesn’t need to worry about it. Personally, when he called out some of his players publicly last season, the flag went up for me. Classless…but folk here were all ready erecting a statue. How do you think that went over in the dressing room…just like any other work place. Good coaches don’t do that, they just don’t.

If you read some of the comments here you’d think he was Bill Shankly or Jock Stein. IMO, he wasn’t even average coach, I saw nothing tactically that impressed and his record proved it.

He served his purpose as a replacement for the real problem with this team…Mo.

Quitting 6 games into a new season…give me a fuckin’ break…let’s move on…
Thank you. Somebody with some common sense perspective about the man.
Just to add about those defending him because of 'his passion for the team'. Please. We all have passion for the club. We spend money on tickets and on game day. Many erect banners paying out of pocket, and many travel on long road trips - and many of them I might ad. That shows passion. Does that qualify us for coach? JC had passion? Alright I'll buy it for a sec. But I'll buy the man a beer for that. Passion is not bitching and whining in public, nor does it excuse him from criticism on his coaching record and tactics.

Roogsy
05-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Thank you. Somebody with some common sense perspective about the man.
Just to add about those defending him because of 'his passion for the team'. Please. We all have passion for the club. We spend money on tickets and on game day. Many erect banners paying out of pocket, and many travel on long road trips - and many of them I might ad. That shows passion. Does that qualify us for coach? JC had passion? Alright I'll buy it for a sec. But I'll buy the man a beer for that. Passion is not bitching and whining in public, nor does it excuse him from criticism on his coaching record and tactics.

And all of that is fine.

You don't think he was qualified to run the team? Fine. You wanted him gone? That's your choice. And you know what? You got what you wanted. You'd think you guys would be happy but it seems to have made you even more bitter towards him.

Now that he is gone, what is with the constant crapping on him? He did all of you Carver haters a favour by quitting but even that wasn't good enough. If he stayed, you wanted him gone. When he left it wasn't good enough. What did he have to do to have you guys stop crapping on him? What?

And now that he may have landed a job elsewhere, something that has nothing to do with TFC, we are going to continue dumping on him?

At this point, none of this has anything to do with his coaching tactics. His coaching tactics are a thing of the past now. But we keep bringing it up. He is no longer on this team. But whatever is still wrong with the team continues to be his fault but what is going well right now isn't. WTF? Seriously...while some of us may have given him too much slack, some of you are far too obsessed with him in the opposite manner.

He is gone. It's what you wanted. And yet in getting what you wanted, people are still complaining. And you guys wonder why the rest of us look at you like you're all crazy.

Can we stop talking about Carver? Can you guys let it go? Or is your unreasonable hatred for the man something you can't overcome?

Oldtimer
05-12-2009, 07:38 AM
BTW, Newcastle won yesterday, so it looks like they will be staying up...

boban
05-12-2009, 08:56 AM
And all of that is fine.

You don't think he was qualified to run the team? Fine. You wanted him gone? That's your choice. And you know what? You got what you wanted. You'd think you guys would be happy but it seems to have made you even more bitter towards him.

Now that he is gone, what is with the constant crapping on him? He did all of you Carver haters a favour by quitting but even that wasn't good enough. If he stayed, you wanted him gone. When he left it wasn't good enough. What did he have to do to have you guys stop crapping on him? What?

And now that he may have landed a job elsewhere, something that has nothing to do with TFC, we are going to continue dumping on him?

At this point, none of this has anything to do with his coaching tactics. His coaching tactics are a thing of the past now. But we keep bringing it up. He is no longer on this team. But whatever is still wrong with the team continues to be his fault but what is going well right now isn't. WTF? Seriously...while some of us may have given him too much slack, some of you are far too obsessed with him in the opposite manner.

He is gone. It's what you wanted. And yet in getting what you wanted, people are still complaining. And you guys wonder why the rest of us look at you like you're all crazy.

Can we stop talking about Carver? Can you guys let it go? Or is your unreasonable hatred for the man something you can't overcome?
If you looked at the original posters remark, he was asking for thoughts. People gave their thoughts. There are some you agree with and some you don't. Why can't you just leave it at that? Not everyone is going to have the same viewpoint as you. Not here, not in life. There is no point in coming down on people for not sharing your view.
And I am not complaining. I simply expressed my view that its good he is gone. I also said that its good that he found a job (if indeed this comes to fruition). That don't show malice in my books. I have moved on.

tfcleeds
05-12-2009, 09:27 AM
Good for Carver if this opportunity comes to fruition. I appreciated the work he did while he was here, even though I thought he had his limitations (questionable tactics, etc.) as manager. The man wore his heart on his sleeve while he was here, and put his all into what he did. He's gone now, and I wish him the best. The least you can say about the man is that he is a man of his word - I still think the main reason he left was his frustration with the officiating, and he had said on prior occasions that this might be cause for him to leave someday. Whether or not he had something in the works with Newcastle doesn't leave me with feelings of betrayal at all. I think things will work out for the best for both him and TFC as a result of this. I wish him the best, and I hope to see him in the stands at BMO later this year.

We have Cummins at the helm now, and we have yet to lose with him in charge at this point in time. Time to move on and get behind Chris Cummins All Red Army...

ensco
05-12-2009, 09:43 AM

I recommend not opening a thread with the name "Carver" in it. That should work.

Roogsy
05-12-2009, 09:48 AM
I recommend not opening a thread with the name "Carver" in it. That should work.

Fair enough. That is actually a good point. The OP did ask for thoughts, that is in fact an invitation for both points of view and it was bound to happen.

H Bomb
05-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Well truth is he asked for thoughts on him going to Newcastle.

H Bomb
05-12-2009, 09:52 AM

again what does any of this have to do with being british. Serious question that I expect answered

ensco
05-12-2009, 09:54 AM
Fair enough. That is actually a good point. The OP did ask for thoughts, that is in fact an invitation for both points of view and it was bound to happen.

You made a good point that's worth remembering too. Carver is a human being, with strengths and failings, same as the rest of us.

To the extent things come out that tell us something about Mo or Anselmi or MLSE, that's fair game, but rehashing Carver's weaknesses does feel like piling on now.

I will post on this subject only if I truly believe that there is something fresh that comes out which illuminates something about MLSE or existing management. Which I do expect will occur.

Fort York Redcoat
05-12-2009, 10:07 AM
again what does any of this have to do with being british. Serious question that I expect answered

C'mon Bomber, you know as well as I that Andy Welsch was a FOOTBALL GOD.:rolleyes:

H Bomb
05-12-2009, 10:13 AM
C'mon Bomber, you know as well as I that Andy Welsch was a FOOTBALL GOD.:rolleyes:

Yeah because he was British, I'm just wondering what this dude's problem with that is. :rolleyes:

Fort York Redcoat
05-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Yeah because he was British, I'm just wondering what this dude's problem with that is. :rolleyes:

His problem is that he's trying to prove we're race bias with hyperbole. It only exposes his own.