PDA

View Full Version : DC United supporters on TFC

Super
05-10-2009, 12:39 AM
I picked up some interesting observations from DC United supporters on the Big Soccer board tonight:

"Last year we beat them 4-1 and 3-2 at home. I'll give you that Toronto appears to be a much improved team from last year but this is not one of the opponents who really derailed our season last year."

"Any team that has DeRo is a threat and much as I despise Guevara, he does have skill. TFC have improved substantially over last year. Frei is a beast and his goal kicks were a weapon all night."

"And what the ******** is all this talk that Toronto is a "weak" team? Have y'all checked the ********ing table lately? If they are weak, give us MLS Cup right now. Shit. Toronto has some talent, and they showed it."

"I was thrilled to come away with the point, and I agree that Toronto aren't the same team as last year, just as we aren't."

"And Toronto is a very, very good team. They've had a number of standings points taken from them on referee decisions in the final five minutes of play, and you can't help but think they're being hard done by the anthracite football team. And the TFC supporters unveiled a banner that said KEEP UNITED IN DC in their section. That's class in a glass, too."

Just thought that was cool to read :)

RicoSuave44
05-10-2009, 04:31 AM
bump

Shep
05-10-2009, 06:49 AM
Very nice.

It was also great to hear that the traveling TFC support was behind the DC fans march for their stadium. Even though we are opponents, showing solidarity when it comes to footy on this continent is very important.

No matter how much we severely dislike any team (ie krew - not dc utd) it's in everyone's best interest to push the sport forward on every front.

massive_magpie
05-10-2009, 08:38 AM
And the TFC supporters unveiled a banner that said KEEP UNITED IN DC in their section.

Didn't see it, but good on ya, that is classy.

koryo
05-10-2009, 08:52 AM
Nothing but respect for DC United supporters. Coming from them, those compliments mean quite a bit.

egoodwin
05-10-2009, 08:59 AM
they carried their chants full 90, and I envy their ability to wave flags all game long, even with the play right in front of them, without having some jackass casual yelling put it down (there may or may not be some jackass casual yelling that, but if there is, he sure is ignored)

KdotOdot
05-10-2009, 09:11 AM
DC supporters own their own section.

They are what we will some day become if all goes well.

Unless people like Pookie sabotage everything.

koryo
05-10-2009, 09:12 AM
I envy their ability to wave flags all game long, even with the play right in front of them, without having some jackass casual yelling put it down

Which can block the view of a good many people. Which ultimately lessens the number of people who are supporting their team.

Beyond the egos of the people waving the flags, who does this benefit?

Ratven
05-10-2009, 10:20 AM
they carried their chants full 90, and I envy their ability to wave flags all game long, even with the play right in front of them, without having some jackass casual yelling put it down (there may or may not be some jackass casual yelling that, but if there is, he sure is ignored)

4 chants for 90 minutes < 10+ chants, plus numerous spontaneous chants that we do.

Also, I can tell you that I would be a very big jackass getting pissed at your flag waving for 90 minutes... and this is coming from someone who waves a flag and am aware of how annoying it is not because people complain, b/c they're quite good about it, but because I have common sense.

Back to the first point... I was actually talking to my buddies about how playing in front of DC United (and other teams) supporters can't really be that intimidating. They don't really rag on the other team at all, and they sing 4 songs which are all (except one) to the exact tune of ours, except they change TFC for United. So really it's just musical noise that you can tune out, especially if you're a professional athlete.

Vancity RED
05-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Goosebumps

NateDoGG
05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
id like to comment on the dcu fans, they put on a pretty good show last night, i thought at times their entire stand was goin to fall apart lol, that was a Real bounce! i think i would be scared shitless if i was on it lol

jwfm1985
05-10-2009, 11:37 AM
class supporters for sure. Krew should take note

Oldtimer
05-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Nothing but respect for DC United supporters. Coming from them, those compliments mean quite a bit.

+1. The United supporters have been the class of the league.

drewski
05-10-2009, 11:59 AM
id like to comment on the dcu fans, they put on a pretty good show last night, i thought at times their entire stand was goin to fall apart lol, that was a Real bounce! i think i would be scared shitless if i was on it lol

they showed the stands undulatin on TV. I couldn't believe it

good on them.

FluSH
05-10-2009, 12:16 PM

It's all on the technique... I have't seen how you guys wave flags in 127... however in the South End there is less than 5 people who can do this right.

James was one in the last game that was waving his flag correctly.. fast in circular motions with a flexible pole... I can be right behind him and I won't miss much of the game.

There was this one east euro guy who used to be in 112 regularly last year... I probably saw him once this year... but that guy is one of the best flag waver's I've seen...

P.S. and for the record I too need to learn how to wave a flag properly.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-10-2009, 12:18 PM
we took advantage of weak DC keeping, 3 keeper used this season already. they really are in dire straights...but we need to stop conceding goals in bunches. Hope
DC get the stadium the want,but it doesnt look good for the franchise.

FluSH
05-10-2009, 12:25 PM
4 chants for 90 minutes < 10+ chants, plus numerous spontaneous chants that we do.

Also, I can tell you that I would be a very big jackass getting pissed at your flag waving for 90 minutes... and this is coming from someone who waves a flag and am aware of how annoying it is not because people complain, b/c they're quite good about it, but because I have common sense.

Back to the first point... I was actually talking to my buddies about how playing in front of DC United (and other teams) supporters can't really be that intimidating. They don't really rag on the other team at all, and they sing 4 songs which are all (except one) to the exact tune of ours, except they change TFC for United. So really it's just musical noise that you can tune out, especially if you're a professional athlete.

They have more than 4 chants... they actually have around the same amount that we do... including specials (opposing team related chants)

However... here are their main ones:

http://www.barra-brava.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=20&Itemid=37

Vamos.
Vamos United.
Esta noche,
Te-ne-mos-que ganar.

Dale ohhhhhhhh
Dale ohhhh
Dale United
Dale ohhhhhhhhh

Dale 0hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,
Dale ohhhhh o ohhhhh
Dale, dale, dale, dale, dale, dale, dale-ohhhhhhh

La Barra Brava!
La Barra puta!
Los que no sal-tan
Son hijos de puta!

Instead of Allez... they use Dale :D

GuelphStorm2007
05-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Hope fully DC United will stay in the Washington area. It will be a crime if that team had to leave cause of Stadium issues. By the way can they renovate RFK to make it SSS.

rocker
05-10-2009, 12:59 PM
By the way can they renovate RFK to make it SSS.

no, it's owned by the government not DCU.

i believe that whole plot of land is very prized by the government admin, and if they lure the NFL team back, they might build a superstadium on that site.

GuelphStorm2007
05-10-2009, 01:05 PM

i believe that whole plot of land is very prized by the government admin, and if they lure the NFL team back, they might build a superstadium on that site.

Didn't they just build a newer Stadium in Landover Maryland and at the same same time expand the seating capacity to about 90000 for the Redskins. Fed EX field I believe.:scarf:

egoodwin
05-10-2009, 02:22 PM
DC supporters own their own section.

They are what we will some day become if all goes well.

Unless people like Pookie sabotage everything.
+1 in entirety!

egoodwin
05-10-2009, 02:25 PM
It's all on the technique... I have't seen how you guys wave flags in 127... however in the South End there is less than 5 people who can do this right.

James was one in the last game that was waving his flag correctly.. fast in circular motions with a flexible pole... I can be right behind him and I won't miss much of the game.

There was this one east euro guy who used to be in 112 regularly last year... I probably saw him once this year... but that guy is one of the best flag waver's I've seen...

P.S. and for the record I too need to learn how to wave a flag properly.
most games, except for the last game, I have the timing down, I'm still working on my technique for it... in heavy wind though, it's just easier to let it fly on it's own

flatpicker
05-10-2009, 02:31 PM
DC supporters looked and sounded terrific in that game.

It would nice if one day we could get more involvement from people in the South End.

It would be super nice if all the supporter groups could one day be in the same area of BMO.

It's a shame things got broken up the way they have.

We do a pretty good job, but DC is a good example of the kind coordination supporters can have when all together.

Technorgasm
05-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Pic of said banner?

too early for Away team pics?

Had done by, MLS dislikes Canadians. . . . . . Its a conspiracy I tell ya.

MrHawk
05-10-2009, 03:37 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3595/3518493183_99b1e97ff9.jpg?v=0

AL-MO
05-10-2009, 03:43 PM

I don't think another NFL team is coming to DC. Although the stadium is located in Maryland, they already have the Redskins.

FluSH
05-10-2009, 04:27 PM
most games, except for the last game, I have the timing down, I'm still working on my technique for it... in heavy wind though, it's just easier to let it fly on it's own

Yeah letting it fly on it's own is what you absolutely do not want to do LOL :D

twistedchinaman
05-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't think another NFL team is coming to DC. Although the stadium is located in Maryland, they already have the Redskins.

Plus the Ravens in Baltimore. Which was trouble enough for the NFL when they moved in -- I doubt they're going to try for an Annapolis Marines or something like that. :D

Cuz
05-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't feel bad for the DC fans one bit. We may have got our own stadium but we are still getting fucked over everytime a player passes us up because of the turf issue. So, until we get our own shit sorted out, FUCK DC!!!

Yohan
05-10-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't feel bad for the DC fans one bit. We may have got our own stadium but we are still getting fucked over everytime a player passes us up because of the turf issue. So, until we get our own shit sorted out, FUCK DC!!!
how shortsighted of you

Cuz
05-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Shortsighted indeed, but I care about my own team first and foremost. So again I say, FUCK DC!!!

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-10-2009, 04:57 PM
DC supporters looked and sounded terrific in that game.

It would nice if one day we could get more involvement from people in the South End.

It would be super nice if all the supporter groups could one day be in the same area of BMO.

It's a shame things got broken up the way they have.

We do a pretty good job, but DC is a good example of the kind coordination supporters can have when all together.

Tell me about .... Im all over BMO can never get seat's in the supporters section and it's bulshit we need to do something to get everyone together so we can be ONE :scarf:

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-10-2009, 05:19 PM
where were all the people who want supporters section tickets when TFC first put tickets up for grab in 2006?

AL-MO
05-10-2009, 05:29 PM

Apples and Oranges?

greatwhitenorf
05-10-2009, 05:34 PM

Someone having a junior moment, to be sure. Game looked and sounded fantastic on TV last night. Their supporters are to be applauded for the great atmosphere they create.

Shame the stadium doesn't work out for them at present. Good location. Can't imagine what else is likely to move in there in next few years - or more - so why not renovate it into a more soccer friendly park?

Shep
05-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Shortsighted indeed, but I care about my own team first and foremost. So again I say, FUCK DC!!!

We aren't competing with them for funding, why fuck them?
It's a good thing to have clubs to play against.

flatpicker
05-10-2009, 05:44 PM
where were all the people who want supporters section tickets when TFC first put tickets up for grab in 2006?

the fact is, tickets sales are first come first serve...

People bought tickets in the supporter section because either:
A) they figured "support" would translate into Toronto Maple Leaf "grey seats" fun
B) they were the cheapest, so cheap is better
C) they wanted to be a part of a loud, colourful, song filled atmosphere.

A lot of folks bought them for reasons A and B.
They didn't plan on being involved in the kind of drumming, flag waving, chanting support we like.
Just because there are a lot of supporters not in a "supporters area" doesn't mean they failed the first task of buying the appropriate tickets.

Besides, the desire to be a member of a supporters group has grown considerably since year one.
Things have grown considerably, but because this was a new entity in 2006, they was little opportunity to get seating truly organised.

The only way to get all group members into one area is either build a new North section and move supporters into it,
or find a "seat relocation" program that actually works, so that members of all groups can get into one area and unite voices.

The fact that we are very spread out right now is in some ways good... it helps spread the enthusiasm to other sections.

But the truth is, we would sound much better if we were all together... and that will take a lot of work to make happen.

Marc"2L"
05-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Well here's hoping I'm in Toronto when that happens. Probably won't be more then another year or two.

boban
05-10-2009, 06:11 PM
He is not talking about another NFL.
There is talk of bringing the Redskins back closer to DC and that would mean a new stadium even though the one in Maryland is a tad over 10 yrs old only.

prizby
05-10-2009, 07:15 PM
nice friendly rivalry :)

Shakes McQueen
05-10-2009, 07:26 PM

What does our quest for real grass have to do with showing some moral support for DC United's stadium issue?

- Scott

jwfm1985
05-10-2009, 08:40 PM

What does caring about "your team" have to do with anything? This is not a TFC OR DCU thing. Supporting DCU staying in DC is good for the league and therefore good for TFC:confused:

Cambridge_Red
05-10-2009, 09:02 PM

You know what kind of response you'll get to this opinion. Just keep it to yourself. :)

Cambridge_Red
05-10-2009, 09:04 PM

Who do you think would be there supporting us if we were in their situation??? Damn right Barra brava would, DC United carried this league for a number of years when nobody gave a fuck. Little common sense please!

Blizzard
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Who do you think would be there supporting us if we were in their situation??? Damn right Barra brava would, DC United carried this league for a number of years when nobody gave a fuck. Little common sense please!

Agreed!

If some people had their way, we'd be the only team in this league.

onemanbarmyarmy
05-11-2009, 07:08 AM

Me May/June 2006: "Hey, Toronto is getting a soccer team it's only $50 down to reserve seats."
My friends: "I don't know maybe."
Me Sept/Oct 2006: "Hey, seats are only $200 a season you guys should get some."
My Friends: " I dunno maybe."
My Friends June 2007: "Hey can I come to a game. Can you get me season seats next season?"
me: "I dunno maybe."

BBBulldog
05-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Which can block the view of a good many people. Which ultimately lessens the number of people who are supporting their team.

Beyond the egos of the people waving the flags, who does this benefit?

I suppose it depends on attitude, to me we're there to support club not watch the game :D We watch on tv afterwards ;) big flags generally go down during play unless we're losing towards the end of game or we're going nuts cos we're killing other team.

as capo I can tell you we go through probably 15-20. It might sounds like few cos we have several that we like to hold long time, that's just our style.

FluSH
05-12-2009, 04:07 PM
as capo I can tell you we go through probably 15-20. It might sounds like few cos we have several that we like to hold long time, that's just our style.

THANK YOU for clarifying this... This will hopefully stop the myth that we should just do 4 chants per game.

We should however hold our chants much longer... that I agree with.

mclaren
05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
DC have great fans, that's for sure. However, as much as it is great to chant non-stop for 90 minutes, I prefer our style of chanting that is more reactive to what is going on in the game. Both are different styles and both sound good - just have a preference for one over the other.

Yalomed
05-12-2009, 04:15 PM

Weren't the Barra Brava (I still can't get over referring to a non-Argie group as BB in DC) the group that attacked a group of TFC supporters last season in DC?

Little common sense please.

AL-MO
05-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Weren't the Barra Brava (I still can't get over referring to a non-Argie group as BB in DC) the group that attacked a group of TFC supporters last season in DC?

No they weren't.

Roogsy
05-12-2009, 05:47 PM
I still can't get over referring to a non-Argie group as BB in DC

Argie groups don't have a patent on the term...it's a general spanish reference to supporters groups.

Other spanish terms for supporters:

Hinchada
Curva (for those that sit at the ends)
Peņa
Torcida

In fact...you are mistaken in attributing "Barra" to Argentinians as it's the Mexicans who use the term more often and in Argentina they tend to use "Hinchada".

So there is no logical reason why a supporters group in DC wouldn't be able to use the term, unless of course they have absolutely no hispanic members, which hardly seems likely.

Yalomed
05-12-2009, 06:17 PM
Actually no. You are mistaken because the term "Barras Bravas" originated in Argentina some time in the 50s. It could be used in Mexico more frequently but I couldn't give a fuck because I associate the term with Argentina, being that's where it originated from and that's where I am linked with.

ExiledRed
05-12-2009, 06:20 PM
DC have great fans, that's for sure. However, as much as it is great to chant non-stop for 90 minutes, I prefer our style of chanting that is more reactive to what is going on in the game. Both are different styles and both sound good - just have a preference for one over the other.

Fully agree with this

Yalomed
05-12-2009, 06:24 PM
No they weren't.

Well according to the post DC-game "It's called Football" podcast ...

THEY WERE.

http://www.24thminute.com/

I love how you attempt to disprove things with a simple "NO THEY WEREN'T"

It's so convincing :seeya:

Time to grow up dude.

AL-MO
05-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Well according to the post DC-game "It's called Football" podcast ...

THEY WERE.

http://www.24thminute.com/

I love how you attempt to disprove things with a simple "NO THEY WEREN'T"

It's so convincing :seeya:

Time to grow up dude.

I don't need to prove anything, I was there personally. I don't remember any DC SG colours. Just a few unaffiliated losers with "Fuck Canada" shirts. (sharpied on white t-shirts) Dwayne must have saw otherwise.

Cambridge_Red
05-15-2009, 12:56 PM

Ahhh glad I revisited this thread. First off no wrong, and secondly how soon we forget how the supporters groups copped the blame for a few non TFC "fans" down in Columbus.(Forgot already?) P.S. I wouldn't believe any of what that show has to say. Watch the Bill Archer interview you'll understand how bias and childish they can be. Just my $.02