PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings: DC v. TFC

Lucky Strike
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
As with Wednesday, sorry for being later than usual as I was watching my Penguins and PVRed the TFC game as it is easier to avoid spoilers from the MLS than NHL. A very wild finish and it feels disappointing, but not as much as I would have thought. Usually, a trip to RFK is an unqualified disaster. Here we go with the ratings:

Frei - 6.5: Yeah, he gave up three goals but still didn't play too badly. The first goal I felt was taken from so close that he had little chance to react (and the defense was at sea), the second seemed savable so I'll place a bit of fault there and the third goal was literally the perfect penalty. There was this piece in the Guardian (I think) which describes how scientists determined what a perfect penalty was. It's a high powered shot 5 feet from the post and 5 feet from the crossbar. Guess where Moreno shot it? Finally, and on a positive note, Frei went all Julian Speroni to get the assist on the first DeRosario goal. If you don't know what that means, Speroni is a GK for Crystal Palace who is reknowned for his long, accurate kicks and gets many assists. I watched him get two once in a 3-0 win over Barnsley.
Wynne - 5: If it weren't for the penalty, which was harsh, but the correct call (there were two DC guys behind him ready to have a go at goal and his hand blocked it), Wynne would evidently get a better score. Aside from that, he seemed more involved going forward but had a few issues at the back. Though it's always entertaining to watch him play because he looks too fast for his own good, his limbs are flailing around. However, this proves to be a liability in the box.
Velez - 6: No major clangers (which is an increasingly good sign) but the defence did let in three goals because of scrambles.
Attakora - 6.5: Quietly effective, I'm looking forward to continued development. Subbed.
Brennan - 5: I don't know, didn't stand out and wasn't shining defensively. Maybe it's just because he wasn't solicited much. Maybe, I'm not seeing correctly. What do you think? :yellow:
Cronin - 6: Didn't see much of him, but when called upon, was good as usual.
Serioux - 7: Had a solid game, despite not looking 100%. Got a goal and was effective due to his physicality.
Harmse - 6: As with Cronin, not overly visible, but effective when needed.
Guevara - 6: A few flicks and tricks to go with an assist, but not a classical performance.
DeRosario - 8.5: He really is a game breaker and I was wrong to believe he wasn't that great when people we're creating zillions of threads asking to get him during the first two years of the franchise *eats hat*. His first goal still amazes me (I'm surprised Forrest didn't call it world class) and the second was simply a great strike. He made it look so simple, my father who doesn't follow football asked me why players don't do that all the time. Pontius deserved to be killed for kicking him twice in the face and almost ripping his shirt off, but restrained himself somewhat. And he acknowledged the travelling support on his first goal. What more can he do? Score a third goal? :yellow:
Barrett - 4.5: Had a rough game and didn't really get anything going. He'll bounce back. Subbed.

Vitti (for Barrett, 46) - 7: No, he didn't get on the scorsheet but looked much more lively than Barrett and chased down an impossible ball, got the free kick which Guevara swung into the box for Serioux. You know the rest.
Dichio (for Attakora, 76) - 5.5: Not really influential tonight.
Ricketts (for Guevara, 88) - NR: Didn't have the time to make his mark on the game.

Cummins - 7: Started with a 4-4-2 which didn't really work and around the 30th minute, changed to what looked like a 3-5-2 with Brennan and Wynne being wingbacks. Props for recognizing it and doing something about it. The extra man in the midfield allowed TFC to take more control and play a better match. Had to shuffle things again when Attakora went off with the cramp and managed that very well.

Referee - 6: A few minor calls were wrong and a back pass by DC went unpunished which I was a bit confused on, but overall, a decent game from the man. It was audacious to call that penalty in stoppage time but I have to admit, it was the right call. Lost a bit of control after the penalty. A more severe referee might have given a red to Pontius for raping DeRosario in the manner I've noted above. It was a brutal play.

MOTM: DeRosario. Two goals, another great performance, a nod to the away fans who made the long trek to DC. He really is a great player. Special mention goes to the travelling support for firstly actually getting there and for (as I'm told) marching with the DC fans in support of them trying to get a new SS stadium. They really do deserve it.

Most impressed by opposition's: Moreno. Like DeRosario, he's a game changer and it showed. I'm always baffled as to why he isn't the first name on the starting XI. But I guess he is 35, so it sort of makes sense. Jakovic also gets an honourable mention for a very neat first half.

Carts
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Frei is our MVP...

de Rosario scored 2 goals....

Wynn is our most consistent & underrated player - but he MUST LEARN TO KEEP HIS ARMS IN or this is going to be a familiar song!

Carts...

flatpicker
05-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Thanks Lucky... I can't find much to disagree with in your report card.

rocker
05-10-2009, 12:16 AM
Jakovic also gets an honourable mention for a very neat first half.

was he the guy who got confused with the keeper on DeRo's first goal?

CanadianSwede
05-10-2009, 12:24 AM
^^Yes but I do too believe that he played superbly. Indeed a great young canadian prospect.

Super
05-10-2009, 01:07 AM
Very good summary. It's difficult to correctly rate each individual player based on a full game when at the same time you have so much invested in a win for our side. I would make a few adjustments to your ratings, but overall I think you're pretty damn close. Well done!

boysblue
05-10-2009, 07:26 AM
^^Yes but I do too believe that he played superbly. Indeed a great young canadian prospect.

Jakovic is a Canadian kid? That is very good news as I also thought he played very well, his mix-up on the first TFC goal notwithstanding (was more the fault of the goalie for coming for that ball than the defender anyway). Jakovic looks a very composed central defender and should be one worth watching for the CMNT.

Waggy
05-10-2009, 08:31 AM
From what I saw, Jimmy is almost as banged up as Serioux. The guy was labouring out there. He was giving it his all, but he just didn't have much in the tank. Him and Serioux both REALLY earned respect from me yesterday. As did Vitti. His skill on the ball is unreal. I have NO idea how he won that free kick without the ball going out, or fouling the defender. But all he did the entire second half was make defenders look silly. I dunno if it was the gass, or only coming in for a half, but whatever it was it needs to be bottled for every game from now on

Also: anyone else notice Cummins sending the guys over to salute the road warriors before heading off the pitch? A nice touch I thought

Nuvinho
05-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Jimmy maybe carrying a serious knock on his hand, notice it is taped up.

King Jeff
05-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Most impressed by opposition's:

I'm surprised no one has really mentioned Rodney Wallace -- he looks like a pretty solid prospect.

KdotOdot
05-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Serioux a 7? Get off the crazy pills. Serioux was a 9 out there last night. The only reason I wouldn't give the man a full 10 for that preformance was a few selfish manuvers. Dude was a beast.

7. pffft. I give YOU a 5.75 for that post!!!

koryo
05-10-2009, 09:17 AM
At the risk of becoming a pariah around here, I think the assessment of Brennan is spot on. I've been asking myself what exactly he contributes for some time. And not just this season either.

joel
05-10-2009, 09:57 AM
attakora was behind a step sometimes one their forwards. he did well to catch up and make a play, will look forward to him getting 100% match fitness

Yohan
05-10-2009, 09:58 AM
At the risk of becoming a pariah around here, I think the assessment of Brennan is spot on. I've been asking myself what exactly he contributes for some time. And not just this season either.
i want dunivant back

greatwhitenorf
05-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Interesting to see De Ro play so strongly for the second straight game after coming back from a hamstring injury. They're always tricky ailments to recover from and whoever is handling his medical treatment deserves credit.

For a team in the midst of a brief but congested stretch of games, it was nice to see that strong second-half performance. Good tactics, to be sure, but also good conditioning. Vitti put some serious jump into the attack and continues to get better and better. Displaying huge desire and can't wait to cheer his well-deserved first goal.

Don't you wonder if Marvell Wynne might make a better right sided midfielder? With his wheels and one-on-one ball winning ability, this might be the place for him. Get him pulling defences to pieces and he's a decent crosser of the ball, too.

They all deserve a very warm welcome home on Wednesday.

Yohan
05-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Don't you wonder if Marvell Wynne might make a better right sided midfielder? With his wheels and one-on-one ball winning ability, this might be the place for him. Get him pulling defences to pieces and he's a decent crosser of the ball, too.

are you sure about this?

nimamalek
05-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Harmse was not visible? he was the best player on the field, great passing, he was all over the place and made some great tackles, anyone who gives Harmse a 6 or less is just jumping on the hate harmse bandwagon

Lucky Strike
05-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Serioux a 7? Get off the crazy pills. Serioux was a 9 out there last night. The only reason I wouldn't give the man a full 10 for that preformance was a few selfish manuvers. Dude was a beast.

7. pffft. I give YOU a 5.75 for that post!!!

If you're interested, Serioux gets a 7 because TFC did conceed three goals. Being a 9 means having played one of the games of your life, the kind of thing that happens only about once a season on average. Serioux was good, the best defender on that night (when he was on the back line) but just an average midfielder.

Stryker
05-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Harmse was not visible? he was the best player on the field, great passing, he was all over the place and made some great tackles, anyone who gives Harmse a 6 or less is just jumping on the hate harmse bandwagon

What kinda halucigenic shit were you on?

:hat:

Lucky Strike
05-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Isn't that a bit like saying: "anyone who disagrees with me is insane"?. :D No, I see what you mean that if people are not a fan of Harmse, they will subconsciously give a lower score by downplaying what he does right and overblowing his mistakes.

By not overly visible, I mean that he popped into the field of view for a moment, did his thing and disappeared again. Maybe a bad choice of words on my part because I guess it has a negative connotation, but what I was getting at is that the play didn't go through him much, simply because that's not his role. But when he was called upon, he was effective.

Lastly and for the record, I'm not on the Death-to-Harmse bandwagon. I'll admit I was dubious of him at the beginning of last year, especially after getting sent off when we lost 4-1 in DC in early 2008, but he's been a useful player for us.

Stryker
05-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Harmse has had a few solid games at CB I'll give him that but yesterday he was spectacularly lazy off the play and stood and ball gazed when it was bouncing around our box a few yards away from him.

Lucky Strike
05-10-2009, 11:27 AM
FWIW, I just noticed Brennan has now 4 yellow cards on the season. One more and he'll be suspended. Who might fill in at LB if that happens?