PDA

View Full Version : TFC vs. LAG Post-Game Thread.

Dub Narcotic
05-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Well, I'll kick it off:

MLS/TFC keep on laying eggs in terms of match quality when they have potentially big audiences. If they want to start beating horse racing in the ratings, the games have to be more entertaining than this one today. I'm thinking of the NYRB stinker that was on ESPN as well.

Speaking of that: I'm always shocked at how meek teams are at TFC. With the cap, the teams are pretty equal in talent, so it should be very achievable to gut out wins on the road. But, we see a lot of teams come in and just seem to surrender. I would expect a team that wants some points to play hard and take a few cards, especially when they're down, but that never seems to happen. LAG should have taken eight yellows today to show TFC they weren't going to pushed around.

Also, it's pretty clear that MoJo has adapted very well to the new, looser, international player rules, and that DP's are a poisoned chalice. TFC had its *fourth* choice CB playing today, and he was better than any LAG defender. Until the cap goes up, you have to think long and hard about getting a DP, I think. It's now a lot easier to sign the Robert's and Tebily's for a few hundred K, and it's better to have a few of those than one Beckham who can leave or get hurt at any time.

They might as well release Pat Phelan. Whom is he going to play over? I'd rather see an Attakora-Gyan or Rosenlund play than Phelan. He's probably good enough to play somewhere in the league, but it's not going to happen at TFC.

Speaking of CB, does Tyrone Marshall last the year? Teibilly? Four staring quality CB's may be one too many.

Oldtimer
05-31-2008, 06:00 PM
It SHOULD have been 5-0 for TFC today, several chances weren't finished.
The Galaxy without Beckham or Landycakes look more like a USL than an MLS team. Which means that they can win sometimes, but usually won't.

Broadview
05-31-2008, 06:16 PM
Well, I'll kick it off:

Also, it's pretty clear that MoJo has adapted very well to the new, looser, international player rules, and that DP's are a poisoned chalice. TFC had its *fourth* choice CB playing today, and he was better than any LAG defender. Until the cap goes up, you have to think long and hard about getting a DP, I think. It's now a lot easier to sign the Robert's and Tebily's for a few hundred K, and it's better to have a few of those than one Beckham who can leave or get hurt at any time.

They might as well release Pat Phelan. Whom is he going to play over? I'd rather see an Attakora-Gyan or Rosenlund play than Phelan. He's probably good enough to play somewhere in the league, but it's not going to happen at TFC.

Speaking of CB, does Tyrone Marshall last the year? Teibilly? Four staring quality CB's may be one too many.

I don't think having one DP is so bad of a waste of salary. Having two, or in this case three, is a team killer.

When we do get a DP, I imagine some cap space will have to be cleared so some heads will likely roll. Marshall has always been a candidate, as has Cunningham. But until that happens, we see today how important depth is. We have some, LA does not.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Chicago regarding McBride. The team is on a roll but splurging on another high salaried player will likely upset their chemistry as well. I'd love for them to turn into another LA!

Alarius
05-31-2008, 06:33 PM
Mo's apparent strategy of building with a few solid players then adding stronger ones seems to be working for us.
LA on the other hand, are adding a few super strong players and then a shit load of crap ones..

ag futbol
05-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Alexi Lalas should be fired before the end of this season. Alternatively, they can continue being the joke of the league.

Have to agree on Pat Phelan, unless there is really something going on we don't know about. Getting sat for Harmse reallly doesn't say too much about your quality. Weak draft year, me thinks.

I don't think we've soured on a DP at all, I just think we're continuing to search.

devioustrevor
05-31-2008, 07:05 PM
...Getting sat for Harmse reallly doesn't say too much about your quality...

Is Phelan a Midfielder? Because I was under the impression that he was a Defender.

From what I've seen thus far (I didn't watch the first game in D.C.) he's played exclusively as a Midfielder this season.

S_D
05-31-2008, 07:19 PM
I thought Phelan was a DM. he played CB a few times in pre-season didn't he?

Harmse has a lot more MLS experience and I am not surprised he gets the playing time. We can't have too many rookies starting. And anyways I like what Harmse brings, and it looks like he has reigned in his enthusiasm a bit. No cards today. :D

Keyman
05-31-2008, 07:22 PM
On the Pehlan topic, I asked him in my interview where he likes to play, and said this:

What is your preferred position as a player?

-I would have to say I’m most comfortable at center back, although I’m becoming more and more comfortable as a holding midfielder. I spent some time at right back in college and in training here in Toronto. At this point I’m just trying to become a complete player since we will be losing a lot of guys for the Olympics and other international duties. I want to be able to step in wherever I’m needed.

devioustrevor
05-31-2008, 07:52 PM
So he's a converted central defender whereas Harmse is a natural midfielder.

TFC-Tyler
05-31-2008, 08:00 PM
I didnt think that game was boring at all... The Montreal game was a lot less entertaining imo.

The DP search is still on, and rightfully so.

TFC Cityboy
05-31-2008, 08:03 PM
we'll see Pat Phelan at some point- he's only young and needs to wait his chance.
We were superb at the back again today and if we had had Che and Robert available we coul d have won by a few more.
LA are a 2 man team and with no Goldenballs/Landycakes combo are utter shite.

werewolf
05-31-2008, 08:10 PM
Harmse has a lot more MLS experience and I am not surprised he gets the playing time. We can't have too many rookies starting. And anyways I like what Harmse brings, and it looks like he has reigned in his enthusiasm a bit. No cards today. :D

Pigs don't fly yet.

TOR -- Kevin Harmse (caution; Dissent) 54

jloome
05-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Pigs don't fly yet.

TOR -- Kevin Harmse (caution; Dissent) 54

Yeah, but that's wrong. The MLS put up Harmse as having received the foul but it was corrected a minute later as Velez, and the scorekeeper didn't pick up on it.

Oink, oink.

werewolf
05-31-2008, 08:26 PM
they announced Harmse and he was talking to the ref, I haven't watched the replay yet. Probably force of habit for the ref.

S_D
05-31-2008, 08:30 PM
they announced Harmse and he was talking to the ref, I haven't watched the replay yet. Probably force of habit for the ref.

so true :D

but they did make a correction later and said it was Velez. They may have got the correction wrong but anyways he played a decent game and was a pest in the mid.

UltraSuperMegaMo
05-31-2008, 08:37 PM
I agree with the assertion that if TFC needs to make a roster move, Phelan should be the man to go. We have good depth at the positions he plays. Presumably, he wouldn’t have too hard a time in finding another team in the league to play for.

werewolf
05-31-2008, 08:38 PM
I would like to see Phelan in a game before dumping him so quick. And only get rid of him if we are getting a big-time striker....but even then I would rather trade Cunny.

jabbronies
05-31-2008, 09:14 PM
Question.....Does Houston have a DP??

BigLou
05-31-2008, 10:38 PM
Question.....Does Houston have a DP??
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure there highest payed player is DeRo at max money ( 400k + whatever secret stuff goes in to the deal)

Dub Narcotic
05-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Alexi Lalas should be fired before the end of this season. Alternatively, they can continue being the joke of the league.

Have to agree on Pat Phelan, unless there is really something going on we don't know about. Getting sat for Harmse reallly doesn't say too much about your quality. Weak draft year, me thinks.

I don't think we've soured on a DP at all, I just think we're continuing to search.

I think the collegiate draft is at the end of its life in MLS. With the increased international player limits and the full developmental squads, you can't afford to waste a few years in college anymore. Even now, there's pretty much nothing in terms of talent after the second round. It's too bad that you can't develop your education and your skills at the same time, but if MLS wants to be a top league, it needs these players who live and breathe the game from their tweens.

A DP will count $400k against the cap, so a lot of depth will have to be sacrificed. Cunningham for sure, probably Marshall, Dunivant perhaps. TFC had better be sure that a DP is worth it.

Hooligan69
05-31-2008, 11:27 PM
Great game today. My only complaint is the fact that we play good at home while missing 6 starters yet our play on the road is so bloody horrendous with a full squad.

bhoybobby
05-31-2008, 11:43 PM
It SHOULD have been 5-0 for TFC today, several chances weren't finished.
The Galaxy without Beckham or Landycakes look more like a USL than an MLS team. Which means that they can win sometimes, but usually won't.

At least 5 - 0.

I'm delighted we got the win, but............... our finishing was attrocious.

3 points is 3 points.

Blizzard
06-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Yeah, but that's wrong. The MLS put up Harmse as having received the foul but it was corrected a minute later as Velez, and the scorekeeper didn't pick up on it.

Oink, oink.

Yes. It was definitely Velez.

Cas87
06-01-2008, 05:42 AM
I liked the fact that Nana Attakore-Gyan actually got some MLS playing time vs. LAG (aside from reserves matches)
It would have been cool tho as well to see Pat Phelan on as well, Have all of our Draft picks on the pitch at once!

pimpslapt
06-01-2008, 06:36 AM
what the fuck, i don't know how anyone can bitch about today's performance. missing over half the starting 11 and we dominated teh second half, they only had one chance during teh whole game. we only scored 2, well boo fucking hoo, jarrod smith didn't keep his composure and finish, waaaa, who really gives a shit, on another day that would have been 5-0 but the fact is we were missing 5-6 players, and beat the leading western team and i know they were missing 2 great players but i'd rather look on the positives rather than the negatives as loads of people would rather do

supporters were immense today, i watched the match on an internet stream and it sounded mint, still a few chants going on at once, but by far the best match this year, nice one

MUFC_Niagara
06-01-2008, 06:48 AM
We need to be more clinical in front of goal. This game it didn't matter but it could come back to haunt us at some point.

Daveisonfire
06-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I love you all!!!:D

tfc_4_ever
06-01-2008, 09:22 AM
We need to be more clinical in front of goal. This game it didn't matter but it could come back to haunt us at some point.

QFT.

It was good job LA was so shite because with a quality this is going to kill us.

mighty_torontofc_2008
06-01-2008, 09:30 AM
At least 5 - 0.

I'm delighted we got the win, but............... our finishing was attrocious.

3 points is 3 points.

should have been but you get the same 3 points for a 1 goal victory or 5.
the win was the important thing coming of 3 poor efforts 2 against DC and 1 against Montreal.

colman1860
06-01-2008, 09:36 AM

Oink, oink.

I cant stand the announcer at BMO. First, he always makes mistakes like this. And if I hear J-J-J Jimmy one more time, I think I'm gonna P-P-P Puke.

Stevie B
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I was watching the archived game on MLSLive and they had the LA broadcasters feed there. It was great listening to them talk about how the great the fans and the atmosphere are in BMO. At one point they said they wisk they could put down their headsets and go dance around in the south stands. Makes me feel all warm inside!

ExiledRed
06-02-2008, 09:50 PM
Kevin Harmse shot was powerful, and threatening. Just a little lower it would have been one of the best goals we've ever scored. I hope this guy capitalises on the opportunity he has right now, I like him.