PDA

View Full Version : Target Striker to Replace Dichio

trane
05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
I like the path that we are heading in right now. We have a system that seems to be working, and I think we should start building team play around it, just so that we have a direction to build in. however, I think that we are most effective with a good target striker, I now Barrett was supposed to develop into on, but it seems clear that while contributing to the team he is not fit for a central striker role. It seems certain that Dichio is going to retire sooner rather then later. Therefore we need to start thinking about bringing in a more classic target striker. I do not care if it is by way of trade, DP, regular signing, or grooming one or two, but I think we need to look at this, or when Dichio retires we may have to change everythig around. Clearly the fastees way would be bringing in a DP type Target Striker from Europe.

ballerz
05-08-2009, 11:47 AM
Rob Friend

trane
05-08-2009, 11:48 AM
^That would work for me.

JDG
05-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Do you think O'Brien White might be that guy?

tlear
Artem Milevskiy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artem_Milevskiy

Yohan
Jared Borghetti
Kevin Davies
Shefki Kuqi
Nwanku Kanu

Sláinte TFC
05-08-2009, 11:55 AM
How about Landon Donovan...haha I kid...I'm hoping O'Brien White develops into the answer to that question over the next year or two.

trane
05-08-2009, 11:56 AM

I though he was the quiker in the hole type striker, not the prototypical target man. But I have not see him play, so I am not sure how he plays.

H Bomb
05-08-2009, 11:56 AM
Emile Heskey. He'd do good things here

brad
05-08-2009, 11:57 AM
As much as it pains me to say anything positive about him - Emile Heskey would be highly effective at that role in our team.

trane
05-08-2009, 11:57 AM
^Heskey would be a monster in this league.

brad
05-08-2009, 12:00 PM
^Heskey would be a monster in this league.

When you think about how much better we play off a target man like Dichio, and factor in that Dichio really isn't that good of a player, he would be a fantastic signing.

He's also the class of player that you could realistically target as a DP.

trane
05-08-2009, 12:01 PM
I though he was the quiker in the hole type striker, not the prototypical target man. But I have not see him play, so I am not sure how he plays.

Acctualy you may be right, White is bigger then I though or at least tallet 6-1, I though he was around 5-10, 5-11, not that disqualifies him from being a target man, but height is clearly an advantage.

Hopefully he can be groomed, and has the skill set, for that specific role.

trane
05-08-2009, 12:03 PM
When you think about how much better we play off a target man like Dichio, and factor in that Dichio really isn't that good of a player, he would be a fantastic signing.

Agreed. Although his stock has gone up this year.

Lucky Strike
05-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I like the path that we are heading in right now. We have a system that seems to be working, and I think we should start building team play around it, just so that we have a direction to build in. however, I think that we are most effective with a good target striker, I now Barrett was supposed to develop into on, but it seems clear that while contributing to the team he is not fit for a central striker role. It seems certain that Dichio is going to retire sooner rather then later. Therefore we need to start thinking about bringing in a more classic target striker. I do not care if it is by way of trade, DP, regular signing, or grooming one or two, but I think we need to look at this, or when Dichio retires we may have to change everythig around. Clearly the fastees way would be bringing in a DP type Target Striker from Europe.

Completely agree, I was thinking of this myself not too long ago. I always liked Jan Koller myself, but obviously he's too old now (37 next year).

Yohan
05-08-2009, 12:07 PM

anyone got 4million pounds somewhere? remember. you can't pay huge transfer fees in MLS, unless you got huge amount of allocation money, or else transfer fees cut into your year's salary cap

CretanBull
05-08-2009, 12:11 PM
It might be dangerous to bring in a player to play a position that fits a particular formation. We're still in a situation where we should be looking for the best players available and then find the formation that works best with what we have. 4-3-3 as a formation wasn't the majically solution to our prolems, recognizing that 4-3-3 was the best formation for the players that we have was - know what I mean?

Having said that, in a league like the MLS having a clasic targetman who can hold up the ball and do all the little things that Dichio does is a huge advantage and works well in a number of formations - in the middle up front in a 4-3-3, as the off-striker in a 4-4-2, holding the ball in a 4-5-1 while the midfielders join the attack etc.

I think Barrett has done a decent job in doing the little things, it's just his finishing that's let him down. If he was playing with other strikers who could finish, we wouldn't care about how many goals Barrett scored because he'd still be contributing to the attack.

CretanBull
05-08-2009, 12:13 PM

I disagree completely.

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 12:19 PM
With Dichio now being a Canadian resident and not counting against our international slots...I don't see why we don't convince him to sign for another year as a sub at a reduced salary while giving him incentives like coaching duties with the reserves or the academy. We know his intent is to develop his coaching career after his playing one is over...I say TFC makes it attractive for him to develop that dream risk-free while giving us a solid backup plan on the bench.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-08-2009, 12:37 PM
Ali Gerba - hey, someone had to mention him!:canada:

trane
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I disagree completely.

Yeah, I agree that someone like Heskey would be a great signing in this league, but I am clearly a big fan of Dichio as a player.

CretanBull
05-08-2009, 12:48 PM
^ Heskey would be great, no doubt...I was just objecting to the point that Dichio "isn't that good of a player". He's one of the most talented players on the team, and clearly the smartest player on the pitch whenever he's out there.

Jamaicanadian
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
trane!
You were right the first time regarding your OB thoughts...IMO with his skill set he's better suited to play off the target man.

trane
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
It might be dangerous to bring in a player to play a position that fits a particular formation. We're still in a situation where we should be looking for the best players available and then find the formation that works best with what we have. 4-3-3 as a formation wasn't the majically solution to our prolems, recognizing that 4-3-3 was the best formation for the players that we have was - know what I mean?

Having said that, in a league like the MLS having a clasic targetman who can hold up the ball and do all the little things that Dichio does is a huge advantage and works well in a number of formations - in the middle up front in a 4-3-3, as the off-striker in a 4-4-2, holding the ball in a 4-5-1 while the midfielders join the attack etc.

I think Barrett has done a decent job in doing the little things, it's just his finishing that's let him down. If he was playing with other strikers who could finish, we wouldn't care about how many goals Barrett scored because he'd still be contributing to the attack.

I do not disagree compleltey, it is just that we can only get a certain quality of player to the MLS, and even when you talk about a DP, you are still limited to who will come over. So I think that it is important that we build and identity and a system for the sake of consistency, that way we now what we are looking for and were we are going, sure we make chances and the system may evolve, but sometimes looking for the best player availabel can lead to the tail waging the dog. Certainly if you get a real quality player you may think of switiching the formation to fir him in. But for the most part I think that we will win consistely as as a result of quality team play, and no extraordinary tallent, we will never attrack Milan's midfield or Barcas strikr force here. You need a strucutre to build on, otherwise you risk going in circle like we seemingly did for the first two years.

trane
05-08-2009, 12:53 PM
trane!
You were right the first time regarding your OB thoughts...IMO with his skill set he's better suited to play off the target man.

That is what I understood of him as a player. I just have not seen enough of him to realy comment.

felipe
05-08-2009, 12:56 PM
A nautural (and better) replacement would be that monster Derby County had last season...Howard was it? He'd be very effective, wherever he is now

Beach_Red
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
anyone got 4million pounds somewhere? remember. you can't pay huge transfer fees in MLS, unless you got huge amount of allocation money, or else transfer fees cut into your year's salary cap

Right, so who's out of a contract at the end of his season?

(Paul can probably just look at the list taped up over Mo's desk....)

trane
05-08-2009, 01:07 PM
^ That is more along my thinkign, I would not mind a quality Championship Level guy, quality player in his late 20's as opposed to early 30's so that he can play for us for 5 years or so.

CretanBull
05-08-2009, 01:07 PM
A nautural (and better) replacement would be that monster Derby County had last season...Howard was it? He'd be very effective, wherever he is now

Steve Howard, who just earned promotion with Leicester City...I can't see him leaving that team.

ilikemusic
05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Crouchildihno! :lol:

trane
05-08-2009, 01:29 PM
He would be a draw, but you would need big time transfer money to bring him over.

I am never sure what to make of him as a player. Although I would suspect that he would excel in this league.

werewolf
05-08-2009, 01:35 PM

Are the nets bigger here?

:rolleyes:

H Bomb
05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
haha, I dont think he'd score 25 or anything, but his scoring record isnt too different from Angel's. And he's as strong as they come.

Beach_Red
05-08-2009, 01:42 PM
^ That is more along my thinkign, I would not mind a quality Championship Level guy, quality player in his late 20's as opposed to early 30's so that he can play for us for 5 years or so.

We're building a good core of players, so we could get in DPs for one or two years at a time - there would certainly be more to chose from in that age range willing to come to MLS.

Sort of like rent-a-players at the trade deadline to help with the playoffs in hockey.

ensco
05-08-2009, 01:46 PM
This problem is bigger than Dichio. Robinson, Brennan, and Guevara are all getting to the end of the line.

Given the large investment in young strikers (Vitti, Barrett, Ibbe, OBW), I think the priority will be to get younger in other positions.

trane
05-08-2009, 02:28 PM
^ Yeah, but Robo has a replacement Cronin, Guevara can be replaced for the short term anyway by De Ro. Brennan is another issue, just because we are short on quality defenders. However, an Attakora, Velez, Serioux, Wynne line, in the near future would not look terrible. The issue is that none of the strikers mentioned would necessarily be able to step in Dichio role, so the type of system we play, which when succesfull releied on a target striker could not be played. Again this may not be bad in of itseld but we need some consistency and directed growth, not lets play a Brazilian style 3-5-2 one minuts, then traditional 4-4-2 the next, and then our 4-3-3. We do not have the type of player that can easily adjust to differnces in style, and even the best players are better suited for certain systems, we need to find our chore, which I think we have, find a system that seems to work, and build on that.

ensco
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
^All true.

It's MLS so you never have enough depth anyware.

I think we need to see what we've got with OBW. I hear everyone re the style point but lots of teams play championship football without a "Dichio" style striker.

I'll gladly replace him with Kenny Cooper, for instance!

nascarguy
05-08-2009, 02:51 PM
With Dichio now being a Canadian resident and not counting against our international slots...I don't see why we don't convince him to sign for another year as a sub at a reduced salary while giving him incentives like coaching duties with the reserves or the academy. We know his intent is to develop his coaching career after his playing one is over...I say TFC makes it attractive for him to develop that dream risk-free while giving us a solid backup plan on the bench.

there is no more reserves

trane
05-08-2009, 02:53 PM
^ To be clear I am not looking to replace Dichio now, but rather as a replacemnt for him as his career winds down. I now that in the MLS and other places not every team plays with a target striker, but it seems to work for us, as I think the best formation for us are either a 4-3-3- or a 4-5-1, and both at least the way we play them work better with a target man.

ensco
05-08-2009, 02:56 PM
^ To be clear I am not looking to replace Dichio now, but rather as a replacemnt for him as his career winds down. I now that in the MLS and other places not every team plays with a target striker, but it seems to work for us, as I think the best formation for us are either a 4-3-3- or a 4-5-1, and both at least the way we play them work better with a target man.

Two teams whose playing style I respect, DCU and Columbus (please don't kill me for this! I still hate them, I promise!), don't use one.

trane
05-08-2009, 02:59 PM
^ I know, see my above post. I do not think that a target striker is greatly fetured in South American play, and even in Europe it depends from country to country. In Italy is team to team, even game to game. My point is that with so many attacking mids-second strikers, we play better, in my eyes anyway, when we have a target striker to distribute and create space.

Calvin
05-08-2009, 03:07 PM
That Russian guy or cHHHreeedd borgetti.

nimamalek
05-08-2009, 03:13 PM
Rob Friend

this seems to make a lot of sense now, since his team is looking like its heading down to the 2nd division and he is 28 years old. He might be looking to Canada, and he fits Dichio's role very well

arbogast
05-08-2009, 03:34 PM
this seems to make a lot of sense now, since his team is looking like its heading down to the 2nd division and he is 28 years old. He might be looking to Canada, and he fits Dichio's role very well

Yeah my fear is that he may want to return home to Vancouver in 2012. Mo better get on it!

Candu_88
05-08-2009, 03:37 PM

When Reading FC set the highest point total ever in the CCC in 2006 they relied very heavily on a pure ginger target striker Dave Kitson. He has gone through a bit a bad spell lately and is going to be available as long as Reading don't win the playoffs. As tall, better touch, faster, more mobile, works hard and links up as well with the midfield as Dichio.

craigtfc
05-08-2009, 04:39 PM
collin samuel!! lol

bhoybobby
05-08-2009, 05:11 PM

Yeah Dichio's no good. lmao

He's only played in Seria A & The Premiership. He's the only guy who makes us any kind of a threat up front.

ensco
05-08-2009, 05:16 PM
Yeah Dichio's no good. lmao

Yeah Dichio has always lacked skill. Remember this vid of a boneheaded play of his? (go to 50 second mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfExJ3aT0o

trane
05-08-2009, 05:22 PM
I realy hope that he plays a full 20 games this year, so that he can trully show what he can do.

bhoybobby
05-08-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah Dichio has always lacked skill. Remember this vid of a boneheaded play of his? (go to 50 second mark)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIfExJ3aT0o

He's TFC's heart & soul. All non beleiver's can bite me large

trane
05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
^ He is. I was going to say more, but that is the bottom line, and he will score. Feed him the ball and he will score.

Jack
05-08-2009, 05:57 PM
He's TFC's heart & soul. All non beleiver's can bite me large
Did you watch the vid, Bobby? :D

That was an amazing goal by Danny.

The guy has skills and is a very good player for MLS. Unfortunately he's at the end of the line in his career and we need to think about how to replace him with a forward of similar skill.

jloome
05-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Here's a reasonable option:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Holt

Brooker
05-08-2009, 07:09 PM
6 foot 3 bald headed monster who knows how to FINISH.

teams in MLS are lucky he isnt 8 years younger.

brad
05-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Perhaps I should explain my comment about Dichio

I like the guy, he's one of my favorites, and will go down as a TFC legend. I think he's a fantastic player for us and very effective, I hope he continues to play for us as long as possible.

However, hero worship aside - I was watching the Premiership when Danny played in it, and he was never anything other than work horse of limited ability. He was a handful for defenders because of his size, and that was really what he made his career off. He didn't impress me then, and no highlight reel goal is going to my opinion of that.

Anyway, this thread is about who to replace Danny with when he retires, not about the skill of the man himself. Back to topic.

ensco
05-09-2009, 07:38 AM
However, hero worship aside - I was watching the Premiership when Danny played in it, and he was never anything other than work horse of limited ability. He was a handful for defenders because of his size, and that was really what he made his career off. He didn't impress me then, and no highlight reel goal is going to my opinion of that.

DD had a ton of skill, and still has a lot of it. He is far more than a workhorse - his first touch is simply world class. It's obviously his lack of speed that held him back.

His career in England is simply a comment on how brutal the competition is for playing time at the highest level.

NF-FC
05-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Here's a reasonable option:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant_Holt

here's an interesting tid bit from his wiki:
In the March edition of 4-4-2, It stated that Holt was the player to cover the greatest distance per game in both Leagues One and Two, averaging 4.8kilometers per game, closely followed by Adam Le Fondre of Rochdale, and Andy Welsh of Yeovil on 4.1 and 4.0 respectively

I agree that we need to find the next Dichio. Mo should have (but probably hasn't been) looking since Dichio's concussion. Take a look at Dichio's strike rate of goals vs. shots. It's unreal, when this guy shoots it's getting into the net no questions asked. His technical abilities up front change games for us, he's the difference. Look at TFC's all time record with and without Dichio.

We need to find someone who can step into this role before next spring. League 1 and the Championship are the most likely place to find one.

As for Rob Friend, he's locked in at 'Gladbach until 2012, he signed an extension this past fall. He was born in Saskatchewan but raised in BC, so in the summer of 2012 we could see Rob going home to the Whitecaps at 31 years old.

scooter
05-09-2009, 10:23 AM
peter crouch

NF-FC
05-09-2009, 10:25 AM
^ maybe we can tempt Crouchy with nachos. Although the pie incentives did backfired on us with Sammy...

Cashcleaner
05-09-2009, 10:30 AM

Would MLS allow that? I doubt Dichio would take a pay cut just to help us out, but I do think he'd be up for getting a coaching salary on top of a reduced player salary. If it was workable with the league, I don't see a problem.

bhoybobby
05-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Would MLS allow that? I doubt Dichio would take a pay cut just to help us out, but I do think he'd be up for getting a coaching salary on top of a reduced player salary. If it was workable with the league, I don't see a problem.

I thought he took a pay cut already this year. You know, I can't understand why so many practice ageism on this board. He's still clearly our best striking option.

Is he gonna turn in to s turnip in 1 year? I doubt it. We should extend his playing contract a year or so, until we have a better option signed. Right now, we don't. Dan's the man

bhoybobby
05-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Did you watch the vid, Bobby? :D

That was an amazing goal by Danny.

The guy has skills and is a very good player for MLS. Unfortunately he's at the end of the line in his career and we need to think about how to replace him with a forward of similar skill.

Ooops, just did, very nice.

I still think he's got another year or two, still our best. Can we not give him the Benjamin Button treatment:scarf:

Roogsy
05-09-2009, 02:06 PM

The fact that he PLAYED in the Premiership and the length of his career is a testament to his skill.

No...he isn't the best big man England has ever produced.

But he is quality nonetheless, and has lots to offer.

SweetOwnGoal
05-09-2009, 02:06 PM

I haven't read the whole thread, so sorry if I'm the 127th guy to bring this up.

White is a slasher, not a target guy. I also suspect he's going to be more at Ibby's level than Dichio's (at best). It was a major injury -- one that directly impacts the type of player he is -- and it will not be easy to overcome.

There is also a school of thought out there that White was more of a product of the UConn system, than a guy that made the Huskies better. We'll see, but I wouldn't get too pumped up about White.

Hope I'm wrong.

Cashcleaner
05-09-2009, 05:17 PM
I thought he took a pay cut already this year. You know, I can't understand why so many practice ageism on this board. He's still clearly our best striking option.

Is he gonna turn in to s turnip in 1 year? I doubt it. We should extend his playing contract a year or so, until we have a better option signed. Right now, we don't. Dan's the man

I think he still has a lot to contribute, but I agree that he's past his prime. I don't mean that as an insult, just speaking honestly. Dichio can be a very threatening offensive sub, though. Bring him in for the second half and let him do his thing.

InTheCrowd
05-09-2009, 08:56 PM
I say we sign Yang Changpeng!

http://images.theglobeandmail.com/archives/RTGAM/images/20061017/wsptbolton17/yang.jpg

dinminister
05-09-2009, 09:59 PM
christian vieri

GTA_WOLF
05-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Someone of the same mould as DD would be Wolves current front man, Chris Iwelumo. Plays a very similar style to Danny and is starting to get to the tailend of his pro career in England.

GTA_WOLF
05-10-2009, 08:07 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Clubs/Club%20Home/2009/3/7/1236456875954/Chris-Iwelumo--001.jpg

Yohan
07-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink is out of contract at Celtic.

Dutch international who can put the ball in the net. Has a strike rate of 1 goal every 2 games for club career.

Strong, target man striker who can head the ball with the best of them. And only 30 yrs old. (though will probably go back to Holland)

xJzarxiAGa4

ensco
07-02-2009, 07:48 PM
^One of the great names in world football history.

Soft Dollars
07-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Yup, my thoughts exactly. Not that it's too early to start planning for his departure, but for now he's still the best we've got.

Ossington Mental Youth
07-02-2009, 10:17 PM
id take him in a heartbeat

Bars92
07-03-2009, 12:23 AM
^I'd rather have Nacho Novo.

Yohan
07-03-2009, 12:28 AM
^I'd rather have Nacho Novo.
Nacho Novo is not a target striker...?

And seriously? You think Novo is better than JVH?

Cambridge_Red
07-03-2009, 12:37 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Clubs/Club%20Home/2009/3/7/1236456875954/Chris-Iwelumo--001.jpg

Fuck that we need him the Premiership next season! :D

Iwelumo is like a carbon copy of Danny, big strong and talented.

DichioTFC
07-03-2009, 12:52 AM
what about stephen appiah?

apparently the last person that asked him about MLS was hilarious.
http://ghanabusinessnews.com/2008/12/25/stephen-appiah-laughs-off-mls-link/

Yohan
07-03-2009, 12:53 AM
stephen appiah is a midfielder, not a striker

King Tut
07-03-2009, 04:47 AM
Carsten Jancker
Martin Palermo
Julio Cruz
Ronaldo
Washington Stecanela Cerqueira
Michael Owen
Mark Viduka
Christian Vieri

torontocelt
07-03-2009, 06:12 AM
Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink is out of contract at Celtic.

Dutch international who can put the ball in the net. Has a strike rate of 1 goal every 2 games for club career.

Strong, target man striker who can head the ball with the best of them. And only 30 yrs old. (though will probably go back to Holland)

xJzarxiAGa4

The last couple of seasons he has been very injury prone and he has missed a lot of matches, Celtic would not let him go if they never thought he was done. I like him when he is fit though and I was thinking the same as you but I reckon he would want big wages and would not want to play on turf as it would effect his injuries even more. I hope he goes on to prove me wrong and start banging them in wherever he ends up next season, he was a good signing for us and a good guy.

With regards to the Novo comment, Nacho at his best is no where near as good a Jan at his best but certainly based on last season I would say that Nacho is better as at least he was fit and mobile, Jan wasn't even that.

I seen Martin Palermo play at the Zidane match and was very impressed with his finishing. He is 35 though but I have always liked him. i will never forget his three penalty misses in the one game, that was nuts. I still don't think he would be the answer though as he is probably too old.

arbogast
07-03-2009, 08:09 AM
Rob Friend

Yeah...make a move on him before Vancouver make him their "hometown" DP in 2012.

TorontoBlades
07-03-2009, 08:28 AM
here we go now....

Lombardo! :)

King Tut
07-03-2009, 12:37 PM
Mohamed Kallon

AdamZ
07-03-2009, 01:10 PM
why not look to markets that aren't looked at too often? Why not give those players a trial? I mean, surely TFC can table a solid offer to players from the Arabian Gulf, from Asia (outside Japan and China), etc.

Not saying we should sign this guy, but he's the type TFC should be looking for internationally- a young, realistic target that won't be getting a ton of offers from overseas, and has real goal-scoring ability that has been proven on the international stage (has scored several times in the Asian Cup in 2004 and 2007) :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amad_Al_Hosni

King Tut
07-03-2009, 01:19 PM
why not look to markets that aren't looked at too often? Why not give those players a trial? I mean, surely TFC can table a solid offer to players from the Arabian Gulf, from Asia (outside Japan and China), etc.

Not saying we should sign this guy, but he's the type TFC should be looking for internationally- a young, realistic target that won't be getting a ton of offers from overseas, and has real goal-scoring ability that has been proven on the international stage (has scored several times in the Asian Cup in 2004 and 2007, against Iran and Australia among others) :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amad_Al_Hosni

Players in the Arabian Gulf would never come here. They earn way moer over there and the only way to bring them over is on DP status. The only player in the entire Arabian Gulf that is worthy of DP status in my opinion is Yasser Al Qahtani and he gets paid millions as it is, playing for Al-Hilal. So even if we did get Al-Qahtani, we'd be looking at atleast $4/5 million a season. Alot of the star players in the middle east get treated like royalty. I can't speak on Japan and China, but I am really familiar with Middle Eastern players and can confidently tell you that 99% of the worthy players would not come here and put up with the peanut pay in MLS. Obviously there are players who play for shitty teams over there and would love to come to North America, but they wouldn't be much of an improvement compared to the pool of players we are dealing with over here.

Players that would be amazing here as DPs and play locally in the Middle East include Mohamed Abo Terika, Yasser Al-Qahtani, Shikabala, Ahmed Hassan, Tarik El Taib, Hany El-Agazy, Emad Moteab...These are the only players capable of playing as strikers. There's obviously others in other positions, but TFC needs a solid striker.

Mohamed Kallon fits your category of players from markets that aren't looked at too often. He's from Sierra Leone, has an impressive resume and happens to be a free agent.

AdamZ
07-03-2009, 01:22 PM
hmmm, really? Qatar League, which Al Hosni plays for, is classed as a C-grade league by the AFC (UAE and Saudi Arabia are classed as 'B' and Japan, Korea, and China as 'A'). They really paid that well? I mean, Al Qahtani was an Asian Player of the Year, so he's somewhat different. Another day and another lesson learned I guess.

King Tut
07-03-2009, 01:31 PM
hmmm, really? Qatar League, which Al Hosni plays for, is classed as a C-grade league by the AFC (UAE and Saudi Arabia are classed as 'B' and Japan, Korea, and China as 'A'). They really paid that well? I mean, Al Qahtani was an Asian Player of the Year, so he's somewhat different. Another day and another lesson learned I guess.
Yep. All the Gulf states over there pay their players much better than the average MLS player. Also, most Gulf players choose not to leave their countries. If you haven't noticed, there's only one player from Saudi Arabia playing outside of Saudi (Hussein Abdel Ghany in Switzerland), one from Oman (in Bolton Wanderers), etc. For most of them, the lifestyle over there is so much easier, they get royalty treatment, earn easy money, don't need to learn a new language, etc. Only a person who lived in the Arabian Gulf would understand the kind of treatment these guys get over there. Everything from free houses, customized exotic cars, watches, multi-million contracts, etc. Not to mention, the cleaning staff, personal drivers, chefs, etc. Ofcourse there is always exceptions, but the vast majority would never come here unless they get ridiculous amount of money. They simply have more fame playing for clubs over there. Some of their clubs have been around for 50+ years, compete on the continental stage and win titles. If a player is good enough for TFC to offer him a DP money, I'm pretty sure they'd be making double or triple that in a club like Al-Hilal, Al-Rayyan, Al-Sadd, Al-Gharafa, Al-Ittihad, Al-Nasr, Al-Ahly (Jeddah), Al-Ahly (Cairo), Zamalek, etc...

Bars92
07-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Nacho Novo is not a target striker...?

And seriously? You think Novo is better than JVH?

He would be in MLS football.

Big Bruva
07-04-2009, 03:03 AM

Would you support him H Bomb?

Once a Birmingham player and now a Villa player, like Owen going to scum yesterday, hope his career gets wore than its been since he left us lol.