PDA

View Full Version : Trouble in (Sounder) paradise?

Joe Kool
05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
I thought this was amusing so why not share.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-413-Seattle-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m5d7-Commentary-Sounders-front-office-going-down-the-wrong-road-with-match-day-choices (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-413-Seattle-Soccer-Examiner%7Ey2009m5d7-Commentary-Sounders-front-office-going-down-the-wrong-road-with-match-day-choices)

I like the line "For a minute a stadium in Major League Soccer in the USA was actually starting to sound a bit like Europe." I think they intentionally worded this line to make sure that they didn't include us.

flatpicker
05-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Where is our marching band???!!!!

drewski
05-08-2009, 08:46 AM
For a minute a stadium in Major League Soccer in the USA was actually starting to sound a bit like Europe. Whew! That was close.

hate to tell him, but this ain't Europe and never will be.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for European flavour to the game and atmosphere, but realistically, to grow the game in America, you're going to have to add some American flavour, which includes marching bands (as long as they don't play during play) and thundersticks. As long as it doesn't have a negative effect on the onfield product (ie countdown clock, shootouts int he regular season, clock stoppage for deadballs) I'm all for it, because a bigger fan base is gonna lead to more money and eventually better soccer.

BleedRed
05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
hate to tell him, but this ain't Europe and never will be.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm all for European flavour to the game and atmosphere, but realistically, to grow the game in America, you're going to have to add some American flavour, which includes marching bands (as long as they don't play during play) and thundersticks. As long as it doesn't have a negative effect on the onfield product (ie countdown clock, shootouts int he regular season, clock stoppage for deadballs) I'm all for it, because a bigger fan base is gonna lead to more money and eventually better soccer.

Not gonna happen...every rule the MLS had that was different from FIFA rules has been taken out and changed to emulate the european style. It doesn't look like they're gonna go back.

keem-o-sabi
05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
I really don't care about the whole thundersticks thing. I think they are kinda fun

drewski
05-08-2009, 09:02 AM
Not gonna happen...every rule the MLS had that was different from FIFA rules has been taken out and changed to emulate the european style. It doesn't look like they're gonna go back.

i'm talking about atmosphere changes, marching ands, thundersticks, that kinda stuff.

The game itself shouldn't be changed and they should stick to IFAB/FIFA rules

C.Ronaldo
05-08-2009, 09:19 AM
i want those japenese noise makers they use at baseball games

TFC07
05-08-2009, 09:21 AM
I really don't care about the whole thundersticks thing. I think they are kinda fun

Agreed.

I would rather have fans making noise with thundersticks than fans not making noise at all.

Carts
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I agree with drewski - to grow the game there in the USA, you're going to need to use some "Americanized ideas" and I'm for that as long as THEY DON'T TOUCH THE GAME ITSELF...

Thundersticks, I don't want a pair but there's nothing wrong with them. Hell, they get the prawnie sections making some kind of noise at least...

Carts...

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
:iagree:

:hide:

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
We need noisesticks to grow the league? Keee-rist. God forbid America look elsewhere where it's a more succesful sport.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Mojo
05-08-2009, 09:57 AM
I dont think I would mind the band as long as the supporters controlled what they played and they played with the chants.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-08-2009, 10:03 AM

As long as they're the right colours, I agree. No need to hand out Whitecap-coloured thundersticks at BMO.

twistedchinaman
05-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Saw Connie's comment, and have to +1 on everything except for the thundersticks. They're okay -- if they are limited. Other than that, if their band seriously plays behind us when we visit, we will simply chant even louder. Plain and simple.

Dub Narcotic
05-10-2009, 05:23 PM
College sports atmosphere in the US is great, why not borrow some of the ideas for the MLS? Basketball fans in Europe put their own spin on the game, I don't see why North America shouldn't do the same for soccer.

TFC/ARSENAL
05-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Bands are great; before, after and at halftime, but not during the game.

Mark in Ottawa
05-12-2009, 07:39 AM
Bands are great; before, after and at halftime, but not during the game.
Yeah... especially the one like Arsenal has planned...

"Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshed, one half of the one-time loudest band in the world, rarely play unplugged. But they will set aside their stacks and amps for one night, on May 21st, to benefit the Teenage Cancer Trust, a charitable organization for whom Daltrey has been a long time patron. The pair will be playing an acoustic gig at the Legends & Youth Ball in London’s Emirates Stadium. The concert coincides with the end of the soccer season for the Arsenal Football Club, one of the event’s co-sponsors."

http://www.chez106.com/more.jsp?content=20090512_052821_8008

Section 110
05-12-2009, 08:04 AM
I thought this was amusing so why not share.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-413-Seattle-Soccer-Examiner~y2009m5d7-Commentary-Sounders-front-office-going-down-the-wrong-road-with-match-day-choices (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-413-Seattle-Soccer-Examiner%7Ey2009m5d7-Commentary-Sounders-front-office-going-down-the-wrong-road-with-match-day-choices)

I like the line "For a minute a stadium in Major League Soccer in the USA was actually starting to sound a bit like Europe." I think they intentionally worded this line to make sure that they didn't include us.

I think it's actually complimentary: by saying exculsively "Major League Soccer in the USA" it implies that outside the USA (Toronto) it may already sound like Europe. Interpretation can be a splendid thing...

Come on you Reds!!!!

BRed
05-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Marching bands? Thundersticks??.....

"Roxanne!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....you don't know how gay these sounders are...!!"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_vv2IGE5obwk/SD93EcwrX7I/AAAAAAAACqM/-YCrBM1zxSY/s320/Sting.jpg