PDA

View Full Version : If the NCC is such a big deal.....

Dozitwin
05-08-2009, 08:07 AM
Ok so if the NCC is so important to TFC and they are treating it like a "cup final" why was the game day experience second rate?

It bothered me that a lot of the little things that I come to expect and obviously appreciate on game day were left on the shelf for Wed's match.

I think the biggest example I can give is the starting 11. Pregame the announcer just rattled them off. What happened to showing our 11 on the board and having the fans involved in the announcement. I spoke to a couple of people at Shoeless after the match that didn't even know they had announced the starting 11. That a big part of the prematch and getting the fans involved why leave it out? Why leave any of the other game day extra's out?

keem-o-sabi
05-08-2009, 08:09 AM
I think it was due to no one being at the stadium when they were announcing the names! They didn't use the player pictures on the video board either when announcing. It seemed to me like there were totally different time lines during the pre-game compared to a league match.

Jay P
05-08-2009, 08:13 AM
All that matters is the result, i could care less about the pregame intro

arbogast
05-08-2009, 08:13 AM
Someone mentioned on this board that since it was a CSA sanctioned event, that the club had to do it their way.

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2009, 08:16 AM
It was a different experience. Notice how many CSA adverts there were? It would've been nice to do the shout out but midweek, weather excuses, excuses.

Until people realize it's greater importance (I'm sure you've seen the poll thread) you won't see the same kind of experience as the league games.

BTW I had to read your intro post like 3 times. WTF is NCC? It's the Vcup to me.:canada:

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 08:19 AM
There are scheduling issues behind the scenes I am guessing. We were covered during prime time on Sportsnet which is a coup for us. And the start time was late.

I am ok with things because as is mentioned, the result is what is important to me.

Platts
05-08-2009, 08:20 AM
All of the game day issues that you are talking about were changed because that was a CSA sanctioned event not a TFC or MLS event.
That is why everything was bilingual for example.
The line ups are announced about 45 minutes before game time without any fanfare. The host team cannot control this.

All in all it comes off a little lame I agree, but i don't think it can all be blamed on the club.

yellowfellow
05-08-2009, 08:30 AM
I think they should remove the MLS logo off the players' jerseys. Put it the tourney's logo. Or another Canadian flag.

tfcleeds
05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
I also noticed that the music during the players entry before the anthems was the same used during the last World Cup...interesting, since it wasn't a FIFA event.

C.Ronaldo
05-08-2009, 08:41 AM
3rd jerseys should be worn during Vcup.

BRING ON THE DESIGNS!

Wagner
05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I also noticed that the music during the players entry before the anthems was the same used during the last World Cup...interesting, since it wasn't a FIFA event.
i believe a FIFA flag came out...
as it's linked to the Concacaf cup...and possibly the Club World Cup, isn't it somewhat linked to FIFA?

elvis
05-08-2009, 08:52 AM
How about they make a rule that VCup matches have no rain?

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 09:01 AM

BRING ON THE DESIGNS!

You should work for their marketing department, that is a great idea and it would add cash to the coffers.

tfcleeds
05-08-2009, 09:02 AM
i believe a FIFA flag came out...
as it's linked to the Concacaf cup...and possibly the Club World Cup, isn't it somewhat linked to FIFA?

Yeah, I suppose when you look at it that way it makes sense. I was just thinking in terms of NCC.

Carter
05-08-2009, 09:05 AM

BRING ON THE DESIGNS!

TFC's third jersey is PINK and unless you want the boys to wear pink, i would say... no

Redpunkfiddle
05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
They mumbled the player intros for the World Cup Qualifiers during player warmups too... so don't take offence. Its a FIFA thing! It tells us that this is the long road to world glory.

I mean... Sack the CSA.

mastermixer
05-08-2009, 09:22 AM
it is a FIFA event. if we keep winning, this is what it leads to:

http://www.fifa.com/clubworldcup/index.html

:scarf:

TFC07
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
TFC's third jersey is PINK and unless you want the boys to wear pink, i would say... no

huh?

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 09:24 AM
You know...it's not so far off. If the right investments are made by this club...why isn't it possible to win the Concacaf Champions League?

JAPAN HERE WE COME!

(Yes...yes...I know I am getting ahead of myself)

Mojo
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
You know...it's not so far off. If the right investments are made by this club...why isn't it possible to win the Concacaf Champions League?

JAPAN HERE WE COME!

(Yes...yes...I know I am getting ahead of myself)

Abu Dhabi actually :)

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Ah they changed it didn't they? I was wondering why the map is on the website.

I'd rather go to Japan. :p

TorCanSoc
05-08-2009, 10:08 AM

BRING ON THE DESIGNS!

Best idea I've heard about the NCC to date.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-08-2009, 10:11 AM
getting the casuals interested in cup competitions is going to be hard...most north american fans are used to finals to determine champions and a canadian cup competition or superliga, or CCL will take time for the casuals to get a grip of.
yes this whole eventis fifa related, the club world cup berth is involved. The french language in the stadium can go, but im sure thats the csa being :Friendly: to one of the other teams in this tournament.

Carter
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
huh?

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4114

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4971/pinkjerseysmall.jpg

sulfur
05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Not a third jersey. It was a special edition thing that didn't pan out at the time.

Yeoman
05-08-2009, 10:27 AM
Abu Dhabi actually :)

*shudder* I'll never go back there, not even for that

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2009, 10:29 AM
It's the only way I'd get there. TFC or Canada in the world cup. I should be safe on one count for a while.

TFC07
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=4114

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4971/pinkjerseysmall.jpg

Wow, I totally forgot about that. But I believe they're only going to wear it for couple of league games to support cure for breast cancer.

I highly doubt this will become our official 3rd jersey.

BuSaPuNk
05-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Wouldn't be the first team to wear a pink jersey:

http://soccerlens.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/benficaass0708.jpg

I like our pink jerseys accually :hide: .... I bought one for my gf last year....I don't know guess the same reason I bought one of thoese $80 TPS pink hockey sticks when they came out.

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Wow, I totally forgot about that. But I believe they're only going to wear it for couple of league games to support cure for breast cancer.

I highly doubt this will become our official 3rd jersey.

I don't think they will wear it. They didn't last year.

BTW FYI If you like the jersey, buy it but I was told by the vendor that the same percentage of $$$ goes to breast cancer research regardless what shirt you buy.

Yeoman
05-08-2009, 12:41 PM
i know going through the adidas soccer catalouge, they have it listed at the third jersey

SmokedPanda
05-08-2009, 03:14 PM
i think juventus had pink jerseys as well 4 years ago

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-08-2009, 03:33 PM
the NCC should adapt a new name for the trophy to create interest. sorry
but the current one sounds like being from a bus company. Canada Cup sounds much better

mr k
05-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Voyageurs name has the history behind it (10+ years for org and 7 years for trophy) - soccer is about organic passion - not manufactured marketing oriented corporate generic name fest

AL-MO
05-08-2009, 03:38 PM
Not a third jersey. It was a special edition thing that didn't pan out at the time.

THANK GOD.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Voyageurs name has the history behind it (10+ years for org and 7 years for trophy) - soccer is about organic passion - not manufactured marketing oriented corporate generic name fest

7 years hardly historic is it? a new cup with a new title would easily catch up with that.

yellowfellow
05-08-2009, 03:49 PM
Man, just call it Canadian Champions League.

Nutrilite can still be the main sponsor. I mean, when people think about UEFA Champions League, they think about Heineken.

Marc"2L"
05-08-2009, 03:59 PM
But it's not a "Champions league"
That's almost as bad as calling the MLB final the "World Series"

ben_vw
05-08-2009, 04:05 PM
But it's not a "Champions league"
That's almost as bad as calling the MLB final the "World Series"

Edit: Nevermind. Didn't read the whole conversation. Smooth, eh?

Carefree
05-08-2009, 04:17 PM
As a French Canadian I was glad the announcements were made in both official languages, but ffs can't they get an announcer who can actually speak French? This guy sounded like he was reading a script written in phonics, and sounded really pissed off at having to read in French. At the very least they could have all the pre-game announcements recorded beforehand by a genuine Frenchie (there are about 100K of us in this city you know) and have the PA announcer just read out the goals, substitutions, etc.

Why do something if you're not gonna bother to do it right?

Rudi
05-08-2009, 04:33 PM
the NCC should adapt a new name for the trophy to create interest. sorry
but the current one sounds like being from a bus company. Canada Cup sounds much better
Canada Cup sounds like a hockey trophy.

Besides, since when does the name of the trophy create interest? How many people here can name the MLS Cup trophy (without looking it up)?

ensco
05-08-2009, 05:12 PM
I would start with the premise that most Canadian soccer fans, by definition surrounded by 24/7 hockeymania, are not prone to being told what is or is not a "big deal".

Redpunkfiddle
05-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I actually thought he wasn't bad, and much improved from last year. For the International matches (U20, WCQ) we had a properly bilingual announcer- a lady with a very smooth delivery. How many fluently bilingual stadium announcers are there around ready to check in for 4 hours of work? He didn't sound pissed off- he's just using his edgy 'stadium voice' all the time.

As a French Canadian I was glad the announcements were made in both official languages, but ffs can't they get an announcer who can actually speak French? This guy sounded like he was reading a script written in phonics, and sounded really pissed off at having to read in French. At the very least they could have all the pre-game announcements recorded beforehand by a genuine Frenchie (there are about 100K of us in this city you know) and have the PA announcer just read out the goals, substitutions, etc.

Why do something if you're not gonna bother to do it right?

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-08-2009, 05:21 PM

why is it pink ? if anything make it BLUE or BLACK

Carter
05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
i know going through the adidas soccer catalouge, they have it listed at the third jersey

Thanks i totally thought i had lost my mind for a minute. :canada:

Cashcleaner
05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
My guess is that because MLS owns the name, logo, and visual identity of Toronto FC, the club can't simply use it without special consent from the league. MLS has nothing to do with the NCC, so we won't get the same sort of gameday experience that we normally would.

At least, that's my best guess.