PDA

View Full Version : Here's hoping Vitti and Barrett switch places Saturday

jloome
05-08-2009, 12:58 AM
Barrett's ability to get into dangerous positions should be able to create all sorts of chances for us, ala Steve Zakuani and Freddie Ljunberg at Seattle. But his woeful, dreadful, truly fucking awful finishing, to me, suggests he should move to the right forward position. He'll still get plenty of chances, but I think both Vitti and Dichio are better options in the middle.

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 01:02 AM
Barrett's ability to get into dangerous positions should be able to create all sorts of chances for us, ala Steve Zakuani and Freddie Ljunberg at Seattle. But his woeful, dreadful, truly fucking awful finishing, to me, suggests he should move to the right forward position. He'll still get plenty of chances, but I think both Vitti and Dichio are better options in the middle.

I agree!

Chad's strength is his speed and work ethic. That is best used in creating space and drawing defenders which leaves poachers like Dichio with prime opportunities!

Chad has a poor finish. But he has talents that are useful up front. The question is whether the coaching staff can use him properly. Right now, he shouldn't be used interchangeably with Dichio.

Hustle
05-08-2009, 01:03 AM
Barrett's done some really good things off the ball which is why I am still behind him, but we might as well see if Vitti can get the ball in the net because after last night even Barrett must realize we need to switch it up. I hope goal difference doesn't come back and bite us in the ass.

ExiledRed
05-08-2009, 01:17 AM
He doesnt look where he's shooting. His eye is on the ball, not the keeper or the net. His head was down both times he got the breakaway wednesday, and if he lifted his fucking chin up he would have known where to bloody hit it.

Troll
05-08-2009, 01:17 AM
I disagree. He gets more scoring opportunities then any other player on our squad. The scale will find a way to balance, and he'll bag a bunch.

There's nothing that leads us to believe that Vitti's positioning is anywhere near as good as Chads.

It's hard to be patient with a striker, but I'm not gonna give up on him just yet. He's got some goals in'em.

ExiledRed
05-08-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm hoping they bench him put Dichio in centre forward, play DeRo on the left and Vitti on the right. Bring Barrett on for Dichio if needs be in the second half, or sub off Guevara and bring Dero back while Barrett fills the hole in the left and the attack shifts to Vitti on the right. I'd also start Ibrahim there before Barrett on Saturday too.

Dichio unlocked DC's defence three times last season, we need him up front.

Jeffro
05-08-2009, 01:31 AM
I'm hoping they bench him put Dichio in centre forward, play DeRo on the left and Vitti on the right. Bring Barrett on for Dichio if needs be in the second half, or sub off Guevara and bring Dero back while Barrett fills the hole in the left and the attack shifts to Vitti on the right. I'd also start Ibrahim there before Barrett on Saturday too.

Dichio unlocked DC's defence three times last season, we need him up front.

Yeah, I'd like to see Chad making runs on a tired out backline that has been dealing with Danny for 70 minutes.

Brooker
05-08-2009, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I'd like to see Chad making runs on a tired out backline that has been dealing with Danny for 70 minutes.

i'd like them to try that. might fuckin' work!

ExiledRed
05-08-2009, 02:00 AM
Ibrahim's equally capable of collecting those passes and making runs like that, he has the speed, I think he would have buried at least one of those chances Barrett had and I'm pretty sure he'd score more than Barrett has given the same number of minutes and service.

Bars92
05-08-2009, 04:18 AM
Barrett should have buried that 2nd chance the other night, the clear break-away. He will never be the American Rooney at this rate.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-08-2009, 04:38 AM
im a propnent of this switch as well, im curious to see Vitti as an out and out striker thats been given the green light to score

ensco
05-08-2009, 06:37 AM
Vitti has to go to CF because he was lost on the wing. I'm not ready to write Barrett off, but I think he should take a seat.

He has had nine games to get on track - it ain't working right now, and this is a professional sports team, not a self-esteem workshop.

Let's get him back in when the international callups start. He could play the wing in midfield when Guevara's gone, and you could move him forward later in the game by subbing Ibbe or Ricketts in for Dichio.

Wooster_TFC
05-08-2009, 08:07 AM
There are a couple issues I have with these suggestions (since there's been more than one in here).

First off, the only thing that's worse than Barrett's finishing is his crossing. Putting him out on the wing somewhat neutralizes the chances he can create.

Second, based on what I saw of the chances Barrett did get against Vancouver, I don't know that Vitti (and I'm sure Dichio) would have been able to create those chances. Vitti's strong on the ball, but doesn't have the same work rate and speed that Barrett does, especially in the wet weather.

Third, you don't pull a professional striker who's having finishing issue out of the lineup. While this isn't a self-esteem workshop, pulling Barrett and sitting him on the bench for no reason other than the fact that he hasn't scored is paramount to him being useless for us this year.

So long as we are winning and Barrett's fit, I say he plays. Whether on the wing or as an out-and-out I don't know. I think he creates more chances in the central role, but we could see him out wide.

As for Vitti, I think his best place is out wide on the left, but realistically, that's DeRo's best spot too. So you put your best player there, and that's DeRo.

Oblio2
05-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Vitti is crap. I just don't see what the excitement is.
$280k for this?
Please......

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2009, 08:21 AM
I want to see them take turns at centre. One misses-out to the wing with them.:)

Seriously though both of them are driving us nuts with how many close chances they have and both look lacklustre or at least less productive on the wing.

MisterMacphisto
05-08-2009, 08:29 AM
He doesnt look where he's shooting. His eye is on the ball, not the keeper or the net. His head was down both times he got the breakaway wednesday, and if he lifted his fucking chin up he would have known where to bloody hit it.

Most good strikers do not look where they are shooting. They rely on their "pitch presence" to always have a good feel where the net is, how far away they are... The may occasionally take a quick peak, but more often they don't. Taking a quick peak causes a delay in shooting, the best ones know where the net is and get shots off quicker.

C.Ronaldo
05-08-2009, 08:44 AM
vitti and ibramhim

see what they can do together

joel
05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
I would try barret at right forward, but I seem to remember we did that a few games ago with vitti in the middle and vitti kept stepping on the ball.

Barrett on the left is a problem because he can't cross with his left foot to save his life, De Ro on the other hand...perrrrrfect.

mastermixer
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I disagree. He gets more scoring opportunities then any other player on our squad. The scale will find a way to balance, and he'll bag a bunch.

There's nothing that leads us to believe that Vitti's positioning is anywhere near as good as Chads.

It's hard to be patient with a striker, but I'm not gonna give up on him just yet. He's got some goals in'em.

Heard this for weeks, still waiting...

joshpa
05-08-2009, 09:35 AM
I concur.. Though Barret gets more chances than Vitti, I find that Vitti creates more chances for himself when he gets the ball. Plus he's hungry for that goal.. and i feel its gonna be a GOLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!

Pachuco
05-08-2009, 10:14 AM
I'm in agreement, we need to try Vitti smack in the center of the park and have Barrett running like crazy on the wings.

trane
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
I agree!

Chad's strength is his speed and work ethic. That is best used in creating space and drawing defenders which leaves poachers like Dichio with prime opportunities!

Chad has a poor finish. But he has talents that are useful up front. The question is whether the coaching staff can use him properly. Right now, he shouldn't be used interchangeably with Dichio.

Agreed, right now he should be played in the hole and wide, not at the top. The problem is that we do not have another striker that does what Dichio does. The moment you switch someone else in Dichio's slot we play differenlty, it may be what you wanton occasion, but not always.

Detroit_TFC
05-08-2009, 11:15 AM
I agree, let Barrett be a poacher from the wing.

Yohan
05-08-2009, 11:17 AM
Agreed, right now he should be played in the hole and wide, not at the top. The problem is that we do not have another striker that does what Dichio does. The moment you switch someone else in Dichio's slot we play differenlty, it may be what you wanton occasion, but not always.
as long as the passing is fluid and we keep posession, it shouldn't be a real problem

may give our attack a different dimension keeping it on the ground for vitti to chase

esp tomorrow's game b/c DC will most likely play 3-5-2, and more space to roam in the back

trane
05-08-2009, 11:25 AM
^ Agree, my concern is that we look a bit unfocused at times when Dichio is not on.

felipe
05-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I'm not sold on vitti either; Barrett offers a lot more than him at the moment

spark
05-08-2009, 01:38 PM
Seriously the difference between Barrett and Vitti is Barrett gets WAY more service and for some reason is getting heaps of chances from the coaches. I don't understand why - Vitti has show much more of a predator's instinct and is a much better passer and player with the ball on his feet.

Put this into perspective. Vitti's first game with real service and chances was KC and he looked amazing - his one "one on none" this season (actually AND against Seattle) where he was offside he BURIED IT. Chad Barrett has had about TEN "one on nones" and finished one. If those chances were Barrett's, I'm sorry it would have gone over the crossbar, into the side-netting or right at the keeper.

No hate for anyone - I'd just like to see the goal ratio if Vitti was given the same amount of chances, or put in the same role as Barrett.

daner90
05-08-2009, 01:53 PM
I was talking about this the other day, definitley would love to see Vitti get his chances as a primary striker. There is no one else on this team that offers the same type of agility on the ball he does and I think it could prove lethal....

all in cummins hands now I guess

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 01:57 PM
all in cummins hands now I guess

:lol:

I totally read this statement the wrong way...

:p

trane
05-08-2009, 02:31 PM
What I have seen from Vitti in spurts, when playing with Dichio and particullarly in the second half against Kansas, I have not seen from any striker in the league. He needs time on the filed, and he needs time with Dichio, he will do great things.

Bobo
05-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Barrett hasn't been great, but how many goals does Vitti have this year? How many could he have had? Not sure its fair to say he's a better finisher when he hasn't finished once, apart from an offside goal.

trane
05-08-2009, 03:04 PM
^ I agree, but Barrett has been with us for a while, Vitti is relatively new, and he shows great potential as a striker.

For myslef I am not writing Barrett off as a player just as the central striker, for now at least.

ForTheReds
05-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I actually think with the acquisition of a dp , the re-signing of Vitti and keeping chad Barrett as a PLAYMAKER TFC would be unstoppable . Chad is not a finisher. he is a Playmaker . Vitti can beat anyone in this league. now we need someone for vitti to lay it off for the last touch. This can be achieved by a) clearing up cap space. we have players making a big chunk not really priducing ie. Ricketts Sutton Ibrahim. Now since we have a solid MF Ricketts is expendable , With Obrien White Ibee is too and sutton, well Edwards is younger and not all that bad TBH.

:flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare::flare:

Erkan16
05-09-2009, 02:29 PM
here's hoping Barrett stays off the pitch

VPjr
05-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Whoever said that Barrett's crossing is worse than his finishing needs to make a visit to the Canadian Institute for the Blind.

He has put in very adequate crosses from the right side the past three games. He made a lovely move on two defenders on Wednesday night and put an excellent cross into the danger zone that unfortunately no one could capitalize on. I'd be more than happy to see him move out wide and see what he can do. He's got a big right foot so he might be dangerous attempting to score from distance as well.

As for Vitti, his best spot on the field is in the center of the park, IMHO. He's a #9 in the truest sense. Sort of like a poor man's Crespo ( a very poor man but you get the idea).

I have no doubt that if Vitti was sent in alone on the keeper, the ball will bulge the twine.

Blizzard
05-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Whoever said that Barrett's crossing is worse than his finishing needs to make a visit to the Canadian Institute for the Blind.

He has put in very adequate crosses from the right side the past three games. He made a lovely move on two defenders on Wednesday night and put an excellent cross into the danger zone that unfortunately no one could capitalize on. I'd be more than happy to see him move out wide and see what he can do. He's got a big right foot so he might be dangerous attempting to score from distance as well.

As for Vitti, his best spot on the field is in the center of the park, IMHO. He's a #9 in the truest sense. Sort of like a poor man's Crespo ( a very poor man but you get the idea).

I have no doubt that if Vitti was sent in alone on the keeper, the ball will bulge the twine.

Glad you defended Chad's crossing Dino.

His cross to Dichio (on the play prior to Dichio scoring) was damned near as perfect as it was going to get and Dichio himself said that the Dichio of old would have put that in. As it were, it led to go a goal in any case so :).

.... and yes, the cross he put in from the right after doing some great work on the sideline was very impressive.

Chad has been a machine. Is finishing is awol but we can't really fault him for other aspects of his game.

I'd love to see him on the wing on a regular basis or at least when we are playing a 4-3-3.