PDA

View Full Version : BMO Expansion... Your Suggestion

FluSH
05-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Well,

Lately I've been talking to people about their ideas of where they would like to see a BMO expansion.

I've heard everything from take down the Beer Garden to a Second Deck on the east side.

Here is my suggestion (however unrealistic):

Place some expansion seats between 112-111

Now, before you go and say FluSH that's just crazy talk, listen to this... You have all witnessed how much influence the second capo stand near 112-111 has on chants. Part of the reason I believe is that watching a Capo from a triangle shape is easier than horizontally by the masses. My dream wish would be to create the flip side of this ugly yellow piss stadium in the supporters section:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/Kenny31/seating_map.gif

Imagine the red dots as the Capos... and the new BMO expansion as the seats for supporters (all of you getting hassled for bringin flags in 108...or not sitting down in 104) Supporters that are misplaced in other parts of the stadium.

Yes I've heard the arguement that Toronto FC needs that space for Ambulance assistance... well I have 2 counter arguements... The first one is... "don't we have an air ambulance?!?!" and the most important counter arguement is... "fuck it you're watching a Football game... you stay +90 minutes then you can go to the hospital" :D

Toronto FO (and usec for the negotiations)... Thank you for that 2nd Capo stand. Now, You fill that gap between 112-111 and ROME will be built at BMO Field without having to shed the $$$ for a roof.

Feel free to add your suggestion for BMO expansion seats...

InTheCrowd
05-07-2009, 09:38 PM
We'll call it section 111.5! :D

billyfly
05-07-2009, 09:48 PM
I have mentioned this before as well. The plumbing and support beam is already there to join the 2 sections. My only question is where would those new seats exit? Is their a minimum/firecode thingie?

FluSH
05-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I have mentioned this before as well. The plumbing and support beam is already there to join the 2 sections. My only question is where would those new seats exit? Is their a minimum/firecode thingie?

For the new section...

If they built one of these straight to the washrooms we would be in Heaven!!!

http://www.phweis.com/images/projects/SaugetFirePole1.jpg

BRed
05-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Besides the ambulance issue and perhaps fire hazzard as it is the most accessible entrance for emergency vehicles, it just seems like such a tight corner and I'm not sure how much seating it can hold. I'm no engineer but that might be an issue.

I've always thought that the small gap between 111 and 112 created a nice compact atmoshpere. With the fans leaning over and all the craziness. But then again, when in Rome...

Shit Hawks just scored..

billyfly
05-07-2009, 09:56 PM
^^If I ever have enough $$$ to build my dream home, it has one of these for sure.

InTheCrowd
05-07-2009, 09:56 PM
For the new section...

If they built one of these straight to the washrooms we would be in Heaven!!!

http://www.phweis.com/images/projects/SaugetFirePole1.jpg

That would smell like ass.

billyfly
05-07-2009, 09:59 PM
Flush meant above the woman's washroom.

morgank1986
05-07-2009, 10:07 PM
3 capo stands from 111-113 might be a bit overkill in the eyes of many. Especially when 114-119 are dying for a capo stand in their area.

deeznutz
05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
1) Roof
2) just keep 2 capos
3) loud as fuck

Super
05-07-2009, 10:31 PM
Putting a roof on top of the south end wouldn't cost a fortune and could easily come from the funds gained from the Edu sale. That would solve any atmosphere problems.

rocker
05-07-2009, 10:34 PM
the original design for BMO had that part filled in

http://www.explace.on.ca/ArchivesWeb/images/v26_01.jpg

yellowfellow
05-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't like the idea of building a second level to east side. 1) it would block the Toronto skyline and 2) people want cheap seats, which are the north or south end of the field.

BC101
05-07-2009, 10:36 PM
I don't like the idea of building a second level to east side. 1) it would block the Toronto skyline and 2) people want cheap seats, which are the north or south end of the field.
so? are we there to see the sky line or are we there to watch football. Get your priorities in order sunshine.

J .
05-07-2009, 10:42 PM
Build a section above the southend. Which in effect would create a roof over the southend. Take out the seats in the south end.

If nothing else take the seats out of the supporters section.

james
05-07-2009, 10:55 PM
that open space at side of 112 can easily add seats while still having access for ambulances. Just build seats high enough like in this pic, see behind the Touchdown:

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd189/James_David_Champken/bb.jpg

They could easily exspand the South End while also coverring in that gap between 111 and 112.

Id say add 3,000-4,000 seats around the South End, fill in gaps at the corners, and maybe add a stand in the North end that like has 1,000-2,000 seats or something, like 10-15 rows maybe.

Id say make BMO 25,000 seat capacity and that big enough. 30,000 will be to big, lots of empty seats at lots of games i bet. Just renovate the East stand by fixing interrioir like the concessions stands underneath the east stand, make it all closed in or somethin, maybe add box offices top of the east stand. Just make it more fancy, not really add any more seats there.

james
05-07-2009, 11:06 PM
3 capo stands from 111-113 might be a bit overkill in the eyes of many. Especially when 114-119 are dying for a capo stand in their area.

ya we should have a capo in 15, and 117...making it 4 capos in the South End total all working together singing the same songs.

profit89
05-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Roof !!

deeznutz
05-07-2009, 11:25 PM
so? are we there to see the sky line or are we there to watch football. Get your priorities in order sunshine.

lol +1 for you...

morgank1986
05-07-2009, 11:38 PM
ya we should have a capo in 15, and 117...making it 4 capos in the South End total all working together singing the same songs.

Yeah having 4 capos in the south end, say 1 in front of 112, 1 in front of 114, 1 in front of 116 and 1 in front of 118. I think we'd see some great unity.

Bloor West FC
05-08-2009, 07:27 AM
We need to have a second level on the east side and south end. But most of all real grass!! They would do the east side for sure because it adds more private boxes.

FluSH
05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Do we really need an ambulance entrance? Like really? Weren't we able to carry on a stretcher that fat Fck of a keeper from Chivas last year?

Also, 114-117 is a much tougher crowd to capo... yeah they are in a supporter section but it's not like 111

olegunnar
05-08-2009, 09:04 AM
I think they should re-claim the seats allocated to the party booth things they rent out in the north end.

If, on the rare occasion, the people in there would like to watch the game rather than hockey and baseball on the tvs inside, they can spill out in the beer garden area. Put some dividers up...like they did for the Rogers Zone area.

Last year everytime I looked in there they were stuffing their faces and watching tv. One time I guess a few of them decided to come out and watch the game and they promptly started to heckle Sutton. When those of us in the beer garden yelled at the guys they said sorry, we thought he was the other teams goalie since he wasn't wearing a red shirt.

No one sits in those seats right now...it's a shame.

FluSH
05-08-2009, 09:06 AM
^^^
I believe those are the Poker Stars seats...

MG42
05-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Do we really need an ambulance entrance? Like really? Weren't we able to carry on a stretcher that fat Fck of a keeper from Chivas last year?

Also, 114-117 is a much tougher crowd to capo... yeah they are in a supporter section but it's not like 111

well I guess it must be required, but Toronto Ambulances are around 9' tall so I don't see why they can't fill most of it.

filling the gap is my #1 wish (I don't think a roof will ever be built :( )

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 09:08 AM

Why you gotta drop 118 like that? That cut real deep bro... :p

C.Ronaldo
05-08-2009, 09:17 AM
what if we build a new stadium?

how was exhibition stadium up before we realized it was sub par

yellowfellow
05-08-2009, 09:27 AM

watch football during the game. watch skyline during half. I am talented, I can multitask. :D:D

FluSH
05-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Why you gotta drop 118 like that? That cut real deep bro... :p

haha 118 doesn't need any assistance... that's TRN territory over the years that section should bring in more of that Caribbean Flavour

yellowfellow
05-08-2009, 09:32 AM
I thought they are Africans?

Jack
05-08-2009, 09:41 AM
You guys all have good ideas, but the one factor we are forgetting with all this wishful thinking is the fact that expansion would be done for the sole purpose of getting more money.

Supporters section seats are the cheapest in the ground and also the ones with the highest demand. They need to sell more expensive seats if they want to expand and I'm not sure the demand is really there.

TFC management should concentrate on two things before expansion of the stadium:

1) GRASS FFS!!!
2) DP Striker who would finish the chances that Barrett misses or who would be a more dangerous target man to take DD's place when he retires

When we get those two things and you start packing the stadium and get some success under our belts, then we might think about putting in some more seats.

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Build a section above the southend. Which in effect would create a roof over the southend. Take out the seats in the south end.

If nothing else take the seats out of the supporters section.

I like this b/c you would get the real supporter's

Suds
05-08-2009, 10:02 AM

The ambulance would come in and out of the gate near the NEE where all other vehicles come in and out at BMO.

Jack
05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
That's no longer an ambulance entrance in the southeast corner. Look at the big beer counter that's in the way.

Suds
05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Supporters section seats are the cheapest in the ground and also the ones with the highest demand. They need to sell more expensive seats if they want to expand and I'm not sure the demand is really there.

TFC management should concentrate on two things before expansion of the stadium:

1) GRASS FFS!!!
2) DP Striker who would finish the chances that Barrett misses or who would be a more dangerous target man to take DD's place when he retires

When we get those two things and you start packing the stadium and get some success under our belts, then we might think about putting in some more seats.

Some good ideas on expansion but I agree with Jack ... expansion will only happen if there is a demand for more luxury boxes and there is a way to include them ... much more money to be made this way.

and I'd prefer MLSE spent $$ getting grass before anything else

FluSH
05-08-2009, 10:11 AM
That's no longer an ambulance entrance in the southeast corner. Look at the big beer counter that's in the way.

I always thought they were just going to plow this over in case of an emergency.... Grand Theft Auto Style...

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-08-2009, 10:13 AM
another tier on the east side, tear down the beer garden and build another supporters section. no to any roofs i like the idea of any open stadium

rocker
05-08-2009, 10:15 AM
i don't really care about expansion.... why? I got my seats :)

CanadaLFC
05-08-2009, 11:05 AM
I don't even think there's need for expansion right now, but when there is, I agree with Flush about the corners. This all may be unrealistic though, but a nice thought nonetheless.

I sit in 117 and WE REALLY NEED HELP....my buddies and I try to get chants going but I think a capo in our area would do wonders. Anyone have any tips on how to improve for the time being?

deeznutz
05-08-2009, 11:40 AM
When you have the roof the sound really picks up and from that people will want to join in since it will give it a more "European" feel to it.With each and every chant it will get louder and louder to the point NEE will be able to hear us with no problems!

Does anyone remember the famous 300 trip to NY? Do you recall how loud we were under that certin part of the grounds?

BC101
05-08-2009, 01:21 PM
I thought they are Africans?
I thought you and pekduck were koreans:rolleyes:

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-08-2009, 01:30 PM

sightseeing people can go look at the skyline somewhere else, BMO is for footie...add some to the north, tear down the beer garden and add another 5,000 seats there and put the beer garden above that.

james
05-08-2009, 05:03 PM
When you have the roof the sound really picks up and from that people will want to join in since it will give it a more "European" feel to it.With each and every chant it will get louder and louder to the point NEE will be able to hear us with no problems!

Does anyone remember the famous 300 trip to NY? Do you recall how loud we were under that certin part of the grounds?

a roof would really help in making are chants carry, but i dont think MLSE would spend money just to make the atmosphere louder right now.

Probably like 80% of stadiums in South America dont have roofs and some of those grounds without roofs are among the loudest and craziest atmospheres in the world so you can get a great atmosphere without a roof if done right. And many European stadiums still dont have roofs as well, i think roofs were a real big thing in England with all the rain they get there and the popularity of having a roof carried onto some other countries. But i mean look at lots of the stadiums in La Liga, most of them dont seem to have roofs. It depends where in Europe you are.

FluSH
05-08-2009, 07:08 PM
^^^
That's a good point about roofs.. you can't argue witht that.

I_AM_CANADIAN
05-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I think filling in the southeast corner would do a lot for the atmosphere, but I'd still like to see a north stand first, and then a roof.

Super
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
a roof would really help in making are chants carry, but i dont think MLSE would spend money just to make the atmosphere louder right now.

Probably like 80% of stadiums in South America dont have roofs and some of those grounds without roofs are among the loudest and craziest atmospheres in the world so you can get a great atmosphere without a roof if done right. And many European stadiums still dont have roofs as well, i think roofs were a real big thing in England with all the rain they get there and the popularity of having a roof carried onto some other countries. But i mean look at lots of the stadiums in La Liga, most of them dont seem to have roofs. It depends where in Europe you are.

They have also had years and years to build songs and spread them around - and I guess we can get there too in 20-30 years. OR we can build a roof and get there in 3.

rocker
05-08-2009, 10:11 PM
but if it's a roof i hope it's not one of those shitboxes that's a mile above the fans like in Salt Lake. there's no point in a roof for sound if it's a canvas roof way above the fans and that actually faces up towards the sky. (see below)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/0811_-_Rio_Tinto_Stadium.jpg

Super
05-08-2009, 10:17 PM
^ Yes, that wouldn't work. It would have to be a roof that compliments the atmosphere and ideally spreads it around evenly. This way we can get the whole south end involved - and I know for a fact that this would be greatly appreciated by sections so far from 112 they can't hear us.

loconet
05-08-2009, 10:21 PM
GRASS before roof or expansion!

deeznutz
05-08-2009, 10:29 PM

Do yourself a fav and go watch a full 90mins of a Portsmouth game where it holds 20k and only about 5k sing and it's just as loud as any ground in the EPL.... roof's help....

Sure having 10k+ chanting will be loud but don't say it is louder than having alittle help from a roof!

I have watched games from south and yes they are loud but you have to remember that tv audio is placed towards them....In the EPL you don't see that often....

As much as I don't like Liverpool here is how a roof can help carry a chant...If you listen close you can here it picking up with the echo from the roof until it makes its way around the whole ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHEZ91dPpIM&feature=related

FluSH
05-08-2009, 10:34 PM
^^^
I don't think he's saying roofs don't help... but we can get there the hard way like in South America... yes they have 20yrs-30yrs but that was before the advent of the net... I don't think Boca and Riverplate created their chants online like we do at times haha...

with that said... I can't see TFC FO spending the cash on a roof... I would love it.. but they are not going to do it any time soon

Jack
05-09-2009, 09:04 AM
LOL

The roof is the last thing on their agenda.

Guys, I hate to burst our bubble, but they are not going to put in a roof just to make our chants sound louder and better.

I would LOVE for them to prove me wrong, but I can't see it.

As for expansion, let's get grass first. Expansion may or may not be viable and again, expansion of cheap seats is not going to happen because it doesn't make business sense for the team, which unfortunately is the reality in which we live.

Let's concentrate on getting more in synch and louder and better with every game in the framework we've got instead of using roofs, expansion or anything else as a crutch. Let's bring the shit like we know we can and not worry about all this bullshit.

billyfly
05-09-2009, 09:35 AM
^Right. Not to hijack this thread but this is why I had started the other thread of BMO "improvements". In other words, what can we suggest they do without the huge $$$.

The talk of seat expansion and roof is cool as speculative chatter but in reality we are probably better off "working" with MLSE on ideas such as paint the visible concrete in BMO red etc.

TFC07
05-09-2009, 10:07 AM
get rid of beer garden!!!

Cashcleaner
05-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Let's look at the economic realities before anything else. The only major change we'll probably ever see at BMO Field is the construction of additional seating and possibly a grass pitch. The additional seating is to get more paying customers through the gates and the grass pitch will be used to entice more big-name international clubs to play at the stadium. Both are improvements dedicated specifically to increase cash flow.

Like Jack mentioned, a roof won't help to bring in any money for the club so don't expect one built anytime soon.

OneLoveOneEric
05-09-2009, 10:30 AM
LOL

The roof is the last thing on their agenda.

Guys, I hate to burst our bubble, but they are not going to put in a roof just to make our chants sound louder and better.

I would LOVE for them to prove me wrong, but I can't see it.

As for expansion, let's get grass first. Expansion may or may not be viable and again, expansion of cheap seats is not going to happen because it doesn't make business sense for the team, which unfortunately is the reality in which we live.

Let's concentrate on getting more in synch and louder and better with every game in the framework we've got instead of using roofs, expansion or anything else as a crutch. Let's bring the shit like we know we can and not worry about all this bullshit.

The team built the cheap seats to get us in the door. They view the cheap seats as "very underpriced" right now (words directly from the FO to me), and have already begun systematic hikes of those prices (about 20% per year over the past 2 renewal periods).
There is ZERO chance of cheap seats being part of any expansion plan. We will, in fact, see south end prices rise until they are in line with the rest of the stadium. This is a fairly public MLSE plan.

boban
05-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Let's look at the economic realities before anything else. The only major change we'll probably ever see at BMO Field is the construction of additional seating and possibly a grass pitch. The additional seating is to get more paying customers through the gates and the grass pitch will be used to entice more big-name international clubs to play at the stadium. Both are improvements dedicated specifically to increase cash flow.

Like Jack mentioned, a roof won't help to bring in any money for the club so don't expect one built anytime soon.
That's incorrect.
On rain nights/days the attendance figures are below than regular games.
Add to the fact many people leave early. Both leads this to people spending less at the stadium. Add also unsold tickets (yes I know it may only be in the hundreds now), and all this leads to less revenue for MLSE and the city. And purely on a customer satisfaction level, its miserable watching a game getting soaked in the seats.

At the end of the day, roofs exist in other MLS stadiums with less than capacity figures. The roof still fits in those business plans, there is no reason it can't fit in MLSE's.

RagingScot77
05-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Hey from what i have heard they are going to be putting it in the beer garden in the north end, they don't want to build a second level on the east side yet cuz they are worried that if they do that and the team doesn't perform people are going to stop coming and they would have lost money. I think the north end is a good idea for now, put as many seats as there is in the south end. If the team and support continues to grow i'm sure the second level might be considered in the future.

Suds
05-09-2009, 10:57 AM
That's incorrect.
Add to the fact many people leave early. Both leads this to people spending less at the stadium. Add also unsold tickets (yes I know it may only be in the hundreds now), and all this leads to less revenue for MLSE and the city. And purely on a customer satisfaction level, its miserable watching a game getting soaked in the seats.

At the end of the day, roofs exist in other MLS stadiums with less than capacity figures. The roof still fits in those business plans, there is no reason it can't fit in MLSE's.

It may be in the business plans, but I do not believe for any time in the near future. BMO is only a few years old. Unless a business case is made for expansion now I would not expect to see any major investment in the facility for another 5 - 7 years. I'm sure someone on these boards knows the exact numbers, but I recall MLSE saying they made approx $1M profit off TFC??? Not a huge amount ant they are not likely to invest $15M - $20M in BMO upgrades when it would take them over 15 years to recoup the investment. The practice facility and grass will be the first major investment.

As for minor there are some good suggestions in this thread. Concessions is still at the top of my list. Not a huge cost to improve this and it would make the gameday experience much better.

boban
05-09-2009, 11:29 AM
It may be in the business plans, but I do not believe for any time in the near future. BMO is only a few years old. Unless a business case is made for expansion now I would not expect to see any major investment in the facility for another 5 - 7 years. I'm sure someone on these boards knows the exact numbers, but I recall MLSE saying they made approx $1M profit off TFC??? Not a huge amount ant they are not likely to invest $15M - $20M in BMO upgrades when it would take them over 15 years to recoup the investment. The practice facility and grass will be the first major investment.

As for minor there are some good suggestions in this thread. Concessions is still at the top of my list. Not a huge cost to improve this and it would make the gameday experience much better.
I don't know where you get umber as that is most likely false.
You have to remember MLSE said they would be profitable at 14,000. They are doing 50% better than that, let alone all the merchandise etc.
Also, that number you mention definitely includes after depreciation. The positive cash flow running out of that place is much much more.

Suds
05-09-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't know where you get umber as that is most likely false.
You have to remember MLSE said they would be profitable at 14,000. They are doing 50% better than that, let alone all the merchandise etc.
Also, that number you mention definitely includes after depreciation. The positive cash flow running out of that place is much much more.

Looks like I was off by a million :o Forbes has a report on their site that puts TFC profit just above $2M.

But even with that amount of profit I still put major expansion or investment out a few years. Maybe not as long as the 5-7 years I noted above. I think in year 5 we might hear something.

boban
05-09-2009, 11:58 AM
Looks like I was off by a million :o Forbes has a report on their site that puts TFC profit just above $2M.

But even with that amount of profit I still put major expansion or investment out a few years. Maybe not as long as the 5-7 years I noted above. I think in year 5 we might hear something.
MLSE are paying off their initial $8m investment into the stadium and $10m expansion fee. They are aggressive in paying this off. More so than most companies.
I wouldn't doubt that after this year these two amounts would be paid off (at minimum the $8m will be).
That would leave a shitload more than $2m profit.

Suds
05-09-2009, 12:03 PM
MLSE are paying off their initial $8m investment into the stadium and $10m expansion fee. They are aggressive in paying this off. More so than most companies.
I wouldn't doubt that after this year these two amounts would be paid off (at minimum the $8m will be).
That would leave a shitload more than $2m profit.

True.

Cashcleaner
05-09-2009, 05:14 PM
That's incorrect.

Ahhh, but remember that 16,000 have already paid for their tickets (seasons), so it doesn't matter if they don't show up - the club is still getting their money. Sure, the concessions will lose some cash, but on the flip side, if people are paying and not going to the games, that also means less money spent on security and maintainance.

Let me be clear, I'd love to see a roof go up at BMO Field. If I were to get a questionaire from the club asking about improvements, it would be definitely be written down, underscored, and highlighted. I just don't see it happening because the cost vs. benefit ratio is too small.

Shep
05-09-2009, 05:41 PM
watch football during the game. watch skyline during half. I am talented, I can multitask. :D:D

That's great for you, but the 14,000 on the waiting list don't care about your skyline view.

greatwhitenorf
05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
In the words of immortal detective and stadium architect, Hercule Poirot:

"Touch nothing".

The stadium is simply perfect as is.

But if additions must be made in the short term, double deck the south end and add sections onto each end of the west upper bowl, above the currently uncovered suites.

When demand is simply so great that people are brawling at the gate to get in, rip down the entire east side during one off season and build an identical stand to the west side.

Seating capacity somewhere north of 30,000 and tight, intimate atmosphere. Plus suites galore to keep the moneymen at TFC happy. And a beer garden still in place to create a place to wander over to just for fun. Someday you know they'll bash down the F O O D building and we'll get a north-end twin for the south end.

If that doesn't prove to be adequate, get the blueprints to the Bernabeu, 90,000 seats in an opera-house configuration.

Blazer
05-10-2009, 08:07 PM
Grass will bring in quality players while an increase in seating cost in non-supporter sections will bolster team revenue allowing us to keep talent and make Toronto the envy of the league and North America. It’s still a long way off though.

YoungBlood113
05-10-2009, 08:11 PM
The best thing we could do for US as supporters would be expand the south end to the size of the east end, close the gaps and a cheap tin roof and we would be loud and all chants would carry easily. it would be nice to have a north stand but i dont see MLSE getting rid of their cash cow of a beer garden...

Blazer
05-10-2009, 08:18 PM
^ BMO’s looking for revenue first. Tin roofs don’t spell revenue unfortunately. Increasing seating cost or even expanding would likely be their interest first and foremost.

prizby
05-10-2009, 08:27 PM
1. add a second deck to the southside (increase season tickets, make x amount of tickets exclusive to supporter members)
2. add a roof
3. add GRASS
4. build up Northside
5. build up Eastside
6. and if all else fails, pray to God the US/Mexico do not get the 2018/2022 World Cup, and bid for the 2026 World Cup and build an 80,000 seat stadium in Toronto, with World Class training facilities.

YoungBlood113
05-10-2009, 08:35 PM
^ BMO’s looking for revenue first. Tin roofs don’t spell revenue unfortunately. Increasing seating cost or even expanding would likely be their interest first and foremost.

Oh ofcourse MLSE wouldnt give two fucks about our wants. Thats why i said "what would be best for US" :flare::flare::flare::flare:

Bars92
05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
A standing-only section in the north-end would be amazing.:drum:

james
05-10-2009, 08:55 PM
Do yourself a fav and go watch a full 90mins of a Portsmouth game where it holds 20k and only about 5k sing and it's just as loud as any ground in the EPL.... roof's help....

Sure having 10k+ chanting will be loud but don't say it is louder than having alittle help from a roof!

I have watched games from south and yes they are loud but you have to remember that tv audio is placed towards them....In the EPL you don't see that often....

As much as I don't like Liverpool here is how a roof can help carry a chant...If you listen close you can here it picking up with the echo from the roof until it makes its way around the whole ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHEZ91dPpIM&feature=related

do my self a favour? you make it sound like i dont know anything about Portsmouth and matches in England, ive been to matches in England, including Portsmouth so i dont need to watch it on TV to know how it is, ive been there. Ive been to some big grounds like VIilla park and smaller grounds like Brentford with only 12,000 seats and a terrace.

I never said Roofs dont help, they do make chants carry easyer and sound better. But there is many teams around the world who have among the best atmosphere without roofs to. Some England stadiums are very loud, portsmouth is among one of the best im well aware. Believe me tho, there is louder stadiums then in England. Boca Juniors, River Plate, Urawa Reds they are louder and crazyier and none of them have roofs(well Urawa Reds dont have roof behind the net where the supporters are).

However i dont think we could make an atmosphere as good as in England now, maybe in 20 years, but for now yes a roof would make things more easy.

InTheCrowd
05-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Forget England! It's atmosphere's they have in Turkey, Greece and former Yugoslavia that I'd love to see here. Obviously it's not going to happen, but it's better to aim for this than English atmosphere.

james
05-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Forget England! It's atmosphere's they have in Turkey, Greece and former Yugoslavia that I'd love to see here. Obviously it's not going to happen, but it's better to aim for this than English atmosphere.

ya altho England has very loud singing i find they lacking a bit without the whole Tifos and banners and flags and drums at matches, they create great atmosphere and you can not only here the fans singing but you can see the support to. Thats what we need to strive for. I also dont really like how most fans dont wear team colours at matches in England. I love seeing a sea of Red at our matches.

InTheCrowd
05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
ya altho England has very loud singing i find they lacking a bit without the whole Tifos and banners and flags and drums at matches, they create great atmosphere and you can not only here the fans singing but you can see the support to. Thats what we need to strive for. I also dont really like how most fans dont wear team colours at matches in England. I love seeing a sea of Red at our matches.

+1

Booyakasha!

greatwhitenorf
05-10-2009, 10:02 PM
Need to add a section for flare fanatics.

On a barge offshore.

YoungBlood113
05-10-2009, 10:10 PM
FFS if ur modelling yourself after English Fans...jesus u need help. English never had good supporters its just not them. They clap and sing the odd song but they are known for the hooliganism not the atmosphere they had at games. The ideal for Toronto should be a mix of Italian Ultras ( Tifo's, banners) and mix it with chants gathered from all over. We should try to keep them in english but thats something else all together.

Deez Ive been to english matches and im telling you now as rediculous as it sounds i think the south end has better SUPPORTERS then most english teams. Our chants are alott louder for our SIZE ( we only have what 20 rows in south end, england has 60? 70? in some ends) and we have flags, banners, tifo's. Besides a select few Liverpool, Aberdeen(scotland) you wont find many English clubs who have actual good fans who arent there to look good in stone island or paul n shark. I Went to a London derby Tottenham v Westham. MAYBE 50 people had colors of their clubs. OHH and the best bit Tottenham has a drumb over the P.A that starts off their clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap Tottenham! chant.

Ohh and BTW most if not all EPL team mic up their supporters ends.

EDIT: How di i forget this...ALLL SEATER STADIUMS! EPL= $$$$$
Not =:flare:

Bars92
05-10-2009, 10:31 PM
^ All I want to see is a good bouncy. I haven't seen a quality bouncy in that southend that wasn;t just the extreme left. Even DC had a decent one going last night.

Martin Groove
05-11-2009, 01:34 PM
in regards to the ambulance access, it is located on the south west corner of the stadium, a drive in gate, where the ambulance is parked, it could actually drive onto the field if necessary through that corner, its by the NEE

Dbl_D
05-11-2009, 02:30 PM

i like your reasoning... but eventually they should build above east side... but not before....

building a large north end section covering food building which should be rip down and built into a indoor training facility which can be used by public in the winter so we can put grass in the stadium with out the bubble ;)

amistry
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
i like it as is. There is nothing wrong with the stadium as is.

arbogast
05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
It's unbelievable how unrealistic some of these posts are. MLSE does NOT own the stadium so they won't be spending money on shit like a roof, and cheap supporters section seats, becuase there is no/little return on investment. Put it this way, would you pay out of your pocket to remodel your kitchen and add and addition if you only rented your house?

Juanito
05-11-2009, 08:20 PM

Wicked burn!

flatpicker
05-11-2009, 08:26 PM
My opinion on this (and it has altered a few times) is that expansion should be put off for a while.
But I am still in favour of a roof!

Something kinda like this would be fine by me:
http://www.footballgroundguide.com/wolverhampton_wanderers/Wolves22.jpg

- minus the extra seats at one end of course...

Inswingingwingman
05-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Whambulance?

Air Whambulance, ok so that's settled.

I'm allergic to grass. And a new commercial says Jimmy Brennan is too.

Maybe they could take the lid off the old Maple Leaf Gardens and you could plant grass there.

Hasn't seen any good use since '67.

ricciboy
05-11-2009, 08:59 PM
We'll call it section 111.5! :D

amen

james
05-11-2009, 09:39 PM
FFS if ur modelling yourself after English Fans...jesus u need help. English never had good supporters its just not them. They clap and sing the odd song but they are known for the hooliganism not the atmosphere they had at games. The ideal for Toronto should be a mix of Italian Ultras ( Tifo's, banners) and mix it with chants gathered from all over. We should try to keep them in english but thats something else all together.

Deez Ive been to english matches and im telling you now as rediculous as it sounds i think the south end has better SUPPORTERS then most english teams. Our chants are alott louder for our SIZE ( we only have what 20 rows in south end, england has 60? 70? in some ends) and we have flags, banners, tifo's. Besides a select few Liverpool, Aberdeen(scotland) you wont find many English clubs who have actual good fans who arent there to look good in stone island or paul n shark. I Went to a London derby Tottenham v Westham. MAYBE 50 people had colors of their clubs. OHH and the best bit Tottenham has a drumb over the P.A that starts off their clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap Tottenham! chant.

Ohh and BTW most if not all EPL team mic up their supporters ends.

EDIT: How di i forget this...ALLL SEATER STADIUMS! EPL= $$$$$
Not =:flare:

some yes, but i wouldnt go as far as saying we have better supporters then most england clubs. Portsmouth fans were loud as fuck when i saw them and they only got 20k stadium to, i wish we could be that loud. But then there is some stadiums that only do a few chants a game as well. When i went to Coventry match it was rather dead and only few hundred people were standing up, BMO is a better atmosphere then Coventry match is, on that day anyway, we never been that quite. Depends what teams and who they play i guess.

james
05-11-2009, 09:44 PM
^ All I want to see is a good bouncy. I haven't seen a quality bouncy in that southend that wasn;t just the extreme left. Even DC had a decent one going last night.

112 has the bounce down pretty dam good, but other sections dont join in. That said last 2 games i saw a few people here and there bouncing in 113...but still needs a hell of alot of work.

DC United had a much better bounce thats forsure. They had great flag display to. Helps a bit for them tho as well that they are constently on TV since the supporters are at center field level and cameras face there section. Sometimes we got good flag displays but arent ever really seen on TV. Whenever TV shows us they seem to zoom in on like 1 or 2 flags waving, not the whole bunch.

Rocco
05-11-2009, 09:58 PM
i say rooooooooooof

rocker
05-11-2009, 11:42 PM
joe pantalone's website says

On the condition that the next two Toronto FC seasons sell out – and we’re all hoping they will – BMO Field will undergo seating expansions to meet the continuing public demand.

since it's an old comment, i believe he means the seasons 2008 and 2009 being sell outs, would lead to this.

flatpicker
05-11-2009, 11:44 PM
^ I hope they postpone that for another two seasons.

I admit I was pro-expansion once (albeit, small baby-steps expansion)

But I now see nothing wrong with the current size of BMO.

All efforts should be put into improving the grounds and building a freaking roof!

... and getting supporter group members into one area!

YoungBlood113
05-12-2009, 04:08 PM

All efforts should be put into improving the grounds and building a freaking roof!

+1 ur right on everything you said except i think 5K more would be the ideal for us.

boban
05-12-2009, 04:17 PM

It ain't coming without expansion.