PDA

View Full Version : Is Ricketts on the chopping block?

Pachuco
05-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Hey guys,

There is only one explanation for a guy who makes around 250,000K to not be getting any playing time, specially in last night's game. What surprised me the most about it was that even when Cummins was ready to make a 90th minute sub, it was Cronin and not Ricketts. Cronin's been playing alot and had a well deserved game off.

I know nothing so I'm not starting any rumours, I'm just saying, is this a possibility?

I don't think it was a secret that Ricketts was Carver's man and maybe Cummins has shopped him or is ready to release him (pure speculation).

trane
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
It is a possibility and it will happen, if Rohan does not play his way back as a regular in the starting lineup. I like Rohan and I still think he can develop in a great player, but he certainly seems to be taken a step backward. Although he looked good, in the game against Columbus once he came in. But that was like a 10 minutes stint.

Lucky Strike
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
True in that it's speculation but I have to tell you, it’s not absurd. Ricketts is an expensive player to have under the cap and though he contributed 6 goals last year (4 in MLS and 2 more during the ill-fated Canadian Championship last year), he was hit and miss. His 4 MLS goals came in two games by the way of two braces and then, nothing. Sure he played some games very well but others he was invisible. So what do you do? He can be an effective player but under a tight cap, it’s important that a player be effective consistently. I’m very torn but it’s not impossible that he may be gone soon. At the very least, I could see him being re-signed at a discount next year (I think his contract is up at the end of 2009) to make something more like 100-125K.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
I would say yes, hes barely made an appearance this season but still has a chance to get in, question is a) when will he get the chance and b) what he will do with it.
Especially with this current formation he is less of a necessity...

I would like to see him rebound and become an active member of this team but definitely not at the risk of us missing the play offs or losing etc (spose thats obvious but sometimes its necessary to state the obvious in this forum)

Nuvinho
05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
isn't he making $165K?

trane
05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
True in that it's speculation but I have to tell you, it’s not absurd. Ricketts is an expensive player to have under the cap and though he contributed 6 goals last year (4 in MLS and 2 more during the ill-fated Canadian Championship last year), he was hit and miss. His 4 MLS goals came in two games by the way of two braces and then, nothing. Sure he played some games very well but others he was invisible. So what do you do? He can be an effective player but under a tight cap, it’s important that a player be effective consistently. I’m very torn but it’s not impossible that he may be gone soon. At the very least, I could see him being re-signed at a discount next year (I think his contract is up at the end of 2009) to make something more like 100-125K.

Agreed.

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I was saying the same thing to my dad last night. They have a converted striker (Ibrahim) playing wing before Ricketts. He might be the guy to make way for a DP or a better central defender (although Attakora played great last night).

FluSH
05-07-2009, 09:22 AM
I would hate to see Ricketts go... I think he brings more to the team than just his +90 minutes on gameday. With that said... our team (at least on paper) is stacked with some good talent... if Barrett finds his form and Vitti starts producing... then it will be hard to keep someone making $250k when we need someone in the back to replace Harmse (yeah I know he had a hella of a game... and got us the win... but that was one game).

Nuvinho
05-07-2009, 09:30 AM
where is everyone getting $250K from?

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
What is he making anyway? It's still a pretty penny for sitting on the bench. I'd rather see subs around the 60 minute mark especially if one of the wingers (Vitti last night) isn't getting much traction.

deeznutz
05-07-2009, 09:46 AM
I dont see this happening

Nuvinho
05-07-2009, 09:48 AM
he is making $165K and Sutton is around the same amount I think.

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2009, 09:52 AM
If this is his last year with the team will he look to be moved in time for the start of the English leagues or do we think he's actually stay in the MLS?

Lucky Strike
05-07-2009, 10:10 AM
If this is his last year with the team will he look to be moved in time for the start of the English leagues or do we think he's actually stay in the MLS?

This is complete speculation on my part using my instinct, but for some reason, I get the feeling that the players that we bring in from the European system come to play for Toronto first and MLS second. What I mean by that is if a particular player can’t play for TFC anymore, other MLS teams would not be a first option and they would likely prefer heading back to Europe. Ricketts falls into one of those in my view. Am I being arrogant about our club? Maybe, but it was always my impression that TFC is set up in the European traditional structure, more so than other MLS teams. We also have top class facilities and staff (referring to the amazing Winsper) and technology (ProZone and other neat devices we saw in pre-season on TFC TV). It may be that it’s why these types of players will gravitate to this.

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2009, 10:15 AM
This is complete speculation on my part using my instinct, but for some reason, I get the feeling that the players that we bring in from the European system come to play for Toronto first and MLS second. What I mean by that is if a particular player can’t play for TFC anymore, other MLS teams would not be a first option and they would likely prefer heading back to Europe. Ricketts falls into one of those in my view. Am I being arrogant about our club? Maybe, but it was always my impression that TFC is set up in the European traditional structure, more so than other MLS teams. We also have top class facilities and staff (referring to the amazing Winsper) and technology (ProZone and other neat devices we saw in pre-season on TFC TV). It may be that it’s why these types of players will gravitate to this.

I agree with one addition. If Ricketts could be a name in LA or NY he may take it. This said I haven't given up on him yet.

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 10:15 AM
I doubt they'll cut RR right now. Right now he has to work on earning his way back into the team.

The guy has great ball skills, but he doesn't fit so well into Cummin's 4-3-3. I could see him going at the end of the season if he doesn't earn his way back in.

Pachuco
05-07-2009, 10:16 AM
he is making $165K and Sutton is around the same amount I think.

Ok my bad. Still too much for a bench player though :)

trane
05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
I would hate to see Ricketts go... I think he brings more to the team than just his +90 minutes on gameday. With that said... our team (at least on paper) is stacked with some good talent... if Barrett finds his form and Vitti starts producing... then it will be hard to keep someone making $250k when we need someone in the back to replace Harmse (yeah I know he had a hella of a game... and got us the win... but that was one game).

He had a good game because he did not play as a CB.

Lucky Strike
05-07-2009, 10:19 AM
I agree with one addition. If Ricketts could be a name in LA or NY he may take it. This said I haven't given up on him yet.

Oh no of course not. I don't want to make it sound like I'm ready to drive him to the airport. I still have hope that he can regain some form.

VPjr
05-07-2009, 10:24 AM
Rohan's biggest problem is his relative lack of pace.

I like Rohan (the Personality) but Rohan (the player) might not be good enough to start on this team anymore and his salary makes him a burden this team can't afford

I predict he will be gone before the end of the season.

trane
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
^ That is what I am not sure about Rohan, he plays like a fast player, meaning that is the game he brings, but then dose not seem to be able to get behind players on as a consistnet basis as I would expect from what I have preceived as a speedy winger type.

Ossington Mental Youth
05-07-2009, 10:56 AM
if his salary is 165k, i can see him sticking around, sure we've got a cap but i think hes alot better than quite a few 165k players in the MLS (granted there are a few steals too, so hes about right).

stugautz
05-07-2009, 11:00 AM
I think we'll see more of him over the next few games. With our schedule in May being as hectic as it is, we would be idiots to cut a player of his caliber. We need to realize our starting 11 will not always be healthy and there will be injuries. He adds great depth coming off the bench.

poppamidnight
05-07-2009, 11:07 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but the two players I've heard in the media with the biggest hyped-interest by other teams was Dichio + Ricketts. (Obviously DD aiint going nowhere)

Now I haven't heard much this year (since they seem to be focusing on that CB spot), but has anyone heard if teams around the MLS are still very interested in Ricketts?
He did come in with alot of hype, just wondering if the other teams have seen through that/still do or not?

IMO - we're not pressured in our cap situation. The only problem with him (and reason for his demotion to bench) was his inability to beat guys 1-on-1, and thus limiting his number of crosses in... It's really not such a problem-issue that we would consider shipping him out. Keep him, I think he'll regain his step. Plus we'll need him when international duty calls on some of our guys

Pookie
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM

Ummm... isn't there a running complaint that players don't want to play here because of the turf? cough*Darren Huckerby*cough*

I think Ricketts would take his chance to earn $165k wherever he could.

Remember, his contract is with the league. He'd make that if he played for Toronto or the Rapids.

What is his background? Can he just walk into another $165k a year job in football (player or otherwise)? If not football, what are his career options (broadcasting? car sales? what?)

I would think he would extend his career as long as he possibly could, wherever that would be.

Lucky Strike
05-07-2009, 12:08 PM
Ummm... isn't there a running complaint that players don't want to play here because of the turf? cough*Darren Huckerby*cough*

I think Ricketts would take his chance to earn $165k wherever he could.

Remember, his contract is with the league. He'd make that if he played for Toronto or the Rapids.

What is his background? Can he just walk into another $165k a year job in football (player or otherwise)? If not football, what are his career options (broadcasting? car sales? what?)

I would think he would extend his career as long as he possibly could, wherever that would be.

Ah, I knew someone would bring up the turf and it's true what you say. But discounting that, I'd stand by my points.

As for your second point, it's also true that a job is better than no job, but that's why I said that I think he'd prefer to play back in Europe as opposed to another MLS, rather than refusing no matter what. He could be traded mid-season I suppose but he could leave at the first opportunity.

But like I said, all of this highly speculative.

Beach_Red
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Good point. And you may have to add Seattle to that list.

jmorgs88
05-07-2009, 12:16 PM
yes, international duty could definitely be where he gets a chance to step back onto the pitch and earn his spot back...IMO i would prefer to see RR coming on ahead of Ibrahim, i think he is still just too small to hold his own (despite stints of good play thus far this season)...

at the end of last season i spoke to him after a game and when asked if he would be around next season he was hesitant to set anything in stone, he definately is not pleased at the moment, i could see him being the one to look elsewhere rather than the team looking to ship him out

ensco
05-07-2009, 12:18 PM
RR's contract may be with the league, but is it guaranteed? I know all contracts are guaranteed after the halfway mark, but can he just be cut before then?

My recollection is that Cunningham had a guaranteed contract, for instance. Not sure if we actually knew, or whether there's even a way to know....

Pachuco
05-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Guys that make less money then Ricketts right now below. Shocking to see that the guys with the lower salaries are helping carry this team while Ricketts is on the bench with a hefty salary. I'm not calling for his head, I'm just saying that he's really under achieving right now based on team's salary distribution. He should be making a bigger impact.

TFC Cronin Sam M $36,000.00 $84,000.00
TFC Dichio Daniel F $120,000.00 $120,000.00
TFC Edwards Brian GK $39,600.00 $48,350.00
TFC Frei Stefan GK $65,000.00 $108,000.00
TFC Gala Gabe D $34,000.00 $34,000.00
TFC Harmse Kevin M $79,200.00 $79,200.00
TFC Ibrahim Fuad F $75,000.00 $108,000.00
TFC Serioux Adrian D $119,070.00 $131,570.00
TFC Smith Johann F $45,000.00 $56,666.67
TFC Sutton Greg GK $157,500.00 $165,062.50
TFC Velez Marco D $63,000.00 $63,500.00
TFC White O'Brian F $36,000.00 $113,000.00
TFC Wynne Marvell D $57,000.00 $159,500.00

TorontoBlades
05-07-2009, 03:58 PM
My assistant makes more than half these guys - and she should be on the roster way past her 30s

werewolf
05-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I wonder if Middlesborough are still interested?

:lol:

Marco2K
05-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Damn i remember saying this during the off season and everyone thought i was nuts.

He cant cut it making that much money.

TorontoBlades
05-07-2009, 05:36 PM
so I guess nobody will be rollin with Ricketts to League 1

jloome
05-07-2009, 05:58 PM
The knock on him from Barnsley faithful was that he didn't take it seriously enough.

Playing amateur psychologist with someone you don't know is pretty fraught with error, but he's always struck me as a guy so eager to please that he comes across as too lighthearted, and way too indecisive on the pitch.

He has lots of skills, he just thinks way too much. Make a decision and go with it, don't give your man-marker three seconds of free time to face up on you (which is what seems to happen very often with him.)

I see all the technical skills, the head just doesn't merciless enough. And thinking hurts the ball club.

FluSH
05-07-2009, 05:59 PM
He had a good game because he did not play as a CB.

Just listened to Cummins' post game interview... he's going to be playing Harmse more in the midfield! I had not idea that was his natural position.

TorontoBlades
05-07-2009, 06:30 PM
The knock on him from Barnsley faithful was that he didn't take it seriously enough.

Playing amateur psychologist with someone you don't know is pretty fraught with error, but he's always struck me as a guy so eager to please that he comes across as too lighthearted, and way too indecisive on the pitch.

He has lots of skills, he just thinks way too much. Make a decision and go with it, don't give your man-marker three seconds of free time to face up on you (which is what seems to happen very often with him.)

I see all the technical skills, the head just doesn't merciless enough. And thinking hurts the ball club.

hmmm....kinda like a Vince Carter perhaps

TFC RealDeal RPB
05-07-2009, 06:59 PM
i hope so he just doesn't do it for me never did and never will... bye.... bye..... Rohan

Canary Canuck
05-07-2009, 09:10 PM

I agree with a lot of this. He seems indecisive and lacking in the intensity/passion department. You see players like Rooney and Terry with that psychotic "wanna kill someone" intensity on the field and Rohan is the complete polar opposite. There's no passion in anything he does. Part of that is I believe his confidence has been shattered so many times from constantly falling down the footballing rungs. Wasn't too long ago he was winning player of the month awards for Spurs and being talked about for England caps. Now look where he is.

J .
05-07-2009, 09:26 PM
The knock on Ricketts his whole career seems to be consistency and he is not finding it in Toronto. His is not a solution to our poor wing play and does not seem to fit into a 433. He will likely be moved in the transfer window.

billyfly
05-07-2009, 10:03 PM
Has any one asked Big Bruva?

bhoybobby
05-07-2009, 10:06 PM
RR has not done the business since day one, a few glimpses here & there.

He has skill with the ball, but exhibits terrible decision making & has no change in pace to get by defenders.

Taxi for RR