PDA

View Full Version : the return of 'thundersticks'

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 08:14 AM
so they were handing out white 'nutrilite' thundersticks last night.
It's been a loooong time since they gave them out (first season I think)
and they were frowned up then, but they actually seemed to work for once.

why?

unlike the random smacking that you get behind the net at a raptors game,
people were actually using them with the chants. For a simple chant like
t-o-r-clap-clap-o-n-t-clap-clap etc you could see entire sections getting
into it. Even section like 107 and 108 seemed to be making noise IN TIME
with the south end.

I know I was totally against them in the past, but I can admit I was wrong.
When thundersticks are used in time with the chants, they freakin' rock!

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2009, 08:17 AM
Disagree Entirely.

They're a crutch for fairweathers trying to make noise.

Worst of all-It was a repeat of the Canada-Honduras game where they chose the colours of the opponents. Marketing? Little research, please.

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 08:24 AM
They're a crutch for fairweathers trying to make noise.

fairweather?

maybe the wrong choice of words there, because last night wasn't 'fairweather' at all.
In fact, it was cold and rainy, which really doesn't seem fair to me.

:cool:

Yes there are people who would use them like they were
at the Jays or the Raps, but large chunks of the stands
were using them in time with the chants. Visually, it worked.

Nodoubtguy
05-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Anyone else find the fact that the thundersticks were white and blue kind of wrong??

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Anyone else find the fact that the thundersticks were white and blue kind of wrong??

from a distance, they just looked white to me.

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2009, 08:27 AM
What was wrong with the weather last night? The rain was falling "fairly" sideways.:)

Visually it looked like Lowes sponsored the Whitecaps at BMO.

And yes Parky, I am a curmudgeon.

KrazyKanadian
05-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Thundersticks and those blue plastic horns should be banned from all North American sporting events. I hate them.

Nodoubtguy
05-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Thundersticks and those blue plastic horns should be banned from all North American sporting events. I hate them.

oh I hate them too...I refused to get some

sulfur
05-07-2009, 09:08 AM
I told all 3-4 people I saw giving out the Lowes thundersticks that they should consider putting red on there, since white with a blue highlight is the color of the opponents... :)

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't think it's the end of the world. It helped get the less inclined to make some noise. It seems that anything that can be used to make noise other than one's voice will get the rest of the fans involved (clapping, feet stomping, thundersticks).

mlsintoronto has explained before that despite trying to dissuade the sponsors sometimes they demand thundersticks and unfortunately Lowes' colours are blue and white.

Dave67
05-07-2009, 09:21 AM
I just think we should take them and use them. Take as many as you can. Blow them up and launch them into the air after the anthem or after we score. They won't be going away so we might as well use them when they are there. Never use them for making noise but there must be some kind of visual use for them.

drewski
05-07-2009, 09:29 AM
i could care less if its a crutch, wheelchair or bionic suit. not everybody is into yelling, and if this gets more noise made, especially if its well timed noise, then i'm all for it (as long is they're in our colours of course)

mclaren
05-07-2009, 10:02 AM
The thundersticks! how I cringed! Plain awful.

kodiakTFC
05-07-2009, 11:29 AM
MLSE doesn't get it. Yes thundersticks are annoying and shouldn't be handed out but why on earth are the sticks always the opposing teams color.

1. White sticks vs. whitecaps
2. last year blue sticks vs. Kansas

ugh.

OHARARULES
05-07-2009, 11:32 AM

Uhhh.. YA.. that was a bonehead move.. for a minute i thought i was going to see vancouver running out with a Lowes sponsor on there jersey.

thats bullshit. thundersticks i can deal with.. but matching the opponents team.. stupid stupid move

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 11:33 AM
MLSE doesn't get it. Yes thundersticks are annoying and shouldn't be handed out but why on earth are the sticks always the opposing teams color.

1. White sticks vs. whitecaps
2. last year blue sticks vs. Kansas

ugh.
Ummm, it's the people complaining about the colour that don't get it.

Companies whose colours are blue or white or purple are not going to give out thundersticks in red.

OHARARULES
05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Ummm, it's the people complaining about the colour that don't get it.

Companies whose colours are blue or white or purple are not going to give out thundersticks in red.

Hence they should re-think the marketing scheme when they have an opportunity to access TFC fans. I will not shop at lowes.. mostly because there is not one nearby were I live. But doubley because that stupid move just pissed me off. The could have gave out the thundersticks at the columbus game and I wouldn't have thought twice about it. but hand them out when we are playing a team with the same colors. Just screams ignorance.

sulfur
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
MLSE should consider delaying those promotions to games where the opponents don't wear the colours being given out as promo stuff.

Next time around, we'll be playing Houston in a playoff game, and Home Depot will donate 20,000 orange t-shirts for everyone to wear. :D

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
Hence they should re-think the marketing scheme when they have an opportunity to access TFC fans. I will not shop at lowes.. mostly because there is not one nearby were I live. But doubley because that stupid move just pissed me off. The could have gave out the thundersticks at the columbus game and I wouldn't have thought twice about it. but hand them out when we are playing a team with the same colors. Just screams ignorance.
mlsintoronto has noted in the past that he explained all of that to one of the groups that did it last year (or the year before) and the sponsor still wanted to use thundersticks. If they insist on it then you are asking MLSE to turn down a sponsor because of something that isn't a big deal.

At the end of the day, they are used to make noise in support of TFC.

Toronto Ruffrider
05-07-2009, 12:15 PM

Glad I'm not the only one. The thundersticks featured a blue logo on a white background. Gee, I can't imagine what team's kit matches that description.:rolleyes:

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
well aside from the obvious colour mistake,
people in the stands were getting into it, and making more noise than they normally do
(people outside of the supporters section that is)

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
mlsintoronto has noted in the past that he explained all of that to one of the groups that did it last year (or the year before) and the sponsor still wanted to use thundersticks. If they insist on it then you are asking MLSE to turn down a sponsor because of something that isn't a big deal.

At the end of the day, they are used to make noise in support of TFC.

I think you'll find that many are impressed with the noise coming from the stands without them.
Also is it not just as easy to make a standard grey and red stick and a smaller label of whatever colour for the holder to read?
Who can read what sponsor gave out the stupid things on tv anyway? All people see from home is sticks the colour of our opponents=lame.

Dbl_D
05-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Glad I'm not the only one. The thundersticks featured a blue logo on a white background. Gee, I can't imagine what team's kit matches that description.:rolleyes:

the kid handing out the 'sticks' was shocked when I asked him if he was a Vancouver supporter... white lowes 'sticks' with a big tfc logo on it ... ok...

white and blue to match whitecaps... not being touch by these hands...

But park, i have to agree the mopes sitting around me in 107 didnt clue into the relation of the colors but definitely up their cheering as a result of having something in their hands...

Pyeddo
05-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Anything that makes the stadium as loud as it was last night is fine by me. 110-113 was fucking impressive by all accounts, as was 127.

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 01:56 PM
I think you'll find that many are impressed with the noise coming from the stands without them.
Also is it not just as easy to make a standard grey and red stick and a smaller label of whatever colour for the holder to read?
Who can read what sponsor gave out the stupid things on tv anyway? All people see from home is sticks the colour of our opponents=lame.
Yeah, the noise coming from parts of the crowd without them is great. However, there is a huge portion that only make noise when they are stomping their feet or clapping their hands if they make any at all. Thundersticks give them an easy way to join in and more noise is welcome.

You wouldn't go for a club changing their colours so why ask a company to do so? They aren't giving them out for the benefit of TV viewers. They are giving them out to raise brand awareness among those attending the match.

Fort York Redcoat
05-07-2009, 02:08 PM
Yeah, the noise coming from parts of the crowd without them is great. However, there is a huge portion that only make noise when they are stomping their feet or clapping their hands if they make any at all. Thundersticks give them an easy way to join in and more noise is welcome.

You wouldn't go for a club changing their colours so why ask a company to do so? They aren't giving them out for the benefit of TV viewers. They are giving them out to raise brand awareness among those attending the match.

Because the company is trying to win customers. They've lost at least one for sure. How many did they gain?

Any Boca fans out there? They've had companies change their colours for the supporters patronage. It was a little company called Coca-Cola.

We may not be Boca but Lowes ain't no Coke.

Dbl_D
05-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Anything that makes the stadium as loud as it was last night is fine by me. 110-113 was fucking impressive by all accounts, as was 127.

the 'rouge allez' chant across the field was amazing...

flatpicker
05-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I have nothing against them.
If it's an excuse to make noise, then fine by me.

I understand that sponsors want to have their colours on them, thus the white and blue thundersticks.
But I don't see why it would be so hard to maybe put a couple red stripes on them or something, along with their own company colours and logo.

Roogsy
05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Meh...they make noise and add to the atmosphere. How exactly does this affect me? Not at all. I don't measure someone's "support" by whether they do or do not use thundersticks and if it helps a chant...all the better!

Either way, I don't care enough to make a big deal out of it. I don't know where these "rules" of what should and should not be used at a sporting event came from but somebody needs to smack that person in the head.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
blame lowes for bring back the Idiotsticks...just watch how people look when using these silly things..they do look stupid

MarkEightThree
05-07-2009, 02:42 PM
The thing is most of those thunder sticks end up in the garbage or littering the stands. If they were red with a TFC logo or two on them I'm sure most people would consider it a free souvenir and take them home. Wouldn't that be much more bang for Lowe's advertising buck?

I remember during last September's TFC v RSL game Pepsi handed out thundersticks with 'This Is Our House' on one side in white with a TFC logo. They might not have been red, but I still thought they were cool enough to hang onto and keep with my scarves.

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 02:45 PM
.just watch how people look when using these silly things..they do look stupid

to most people, we look insane for jumping and singing in the rain. it's all relative.

morgank1986
05-07-2009, 03:05 PM
The benefit of the thundersticks at yesterdays game was that the commonly quiet sections of the east and west were making noise with the chants. Anything that gets people outside the supporters section making noise is good to me. Maybe red sticks though.

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 03:06 PM
The benefit of the thundersticks at yesterdays game was that the commonly quiet sections of the east and west were making noise with the chants. Anything that gets people outside the supporters section making noise is good to me. Maybe red sticks though.

yeah, pretty much my original point right there.

it helped people get into things, and they were used in a better way than you normally see.

TFC Cityboy
05-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Personally, I am surrounded by human noisemakers in 115 and I politely declined the SEVERAL attempts to give me the bloody things in opposition colours. My kid did make a nice balloon hat out of 2 of them tho.

Maple Leaf Red
05-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Because the company is trying to win customers. They've lost at least one for sure. How many did they gain?

Any Boca fans out there? They've had companies change their colours for the supporters patronage. It was a little company called Coca-Cola.

We may not be Boca but Lowes ain't no Coke.

I would bet that considering that you said you are so far away from any of their stores that they could not care less.

Lowes comes miles closer to coke than we do to Boca.

InTheCrowd
05-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I didn't like them at all. Another sign of the game becoming more Americanized. I mean we already have playoffs.

Anyway, they were also very stupid about the colour of these stupid sticks.

If people want to make noise, bring your voice. Clapping sticks together doesn't support your team. When the team hear's people hitting sticks together they don't get encouraged. When they hear people chanting their name, then they get encouraged.

Stouffville_RPB
05-07-2009, 06:03 PM
As much as we all want the entire stadium to be like the south end that just isn't going to happen (at least not yet).

In the mean time co-ordinated noise is a good thing. Without the thundersticks those ppl would've just been sitting on their hands or like in my section running for cover from the rain.

One step at a time.

mclaren
05-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Thundersticks and Ponchos - two downsides to watching football in North America.

AL-MO
05-07-2009, 06:55 PM
I don't like them at all.

Use your hands FFS.

Jack
05-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Get over yourselves, guys. If you don't like them, don't use them!

More noise in support of our club is a good thing and those people that use these things wouldn't likely be making very much noise without them.

http://www.redpatchboys.ca/forums/showthread.php?p=406849

The choice of WHITE was just plain stupid.

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2009, 07:32 AM
I would bet that considering that you said you are so far away from any of their stores that they could not care less.

Lowes comes miles closer to coke than we do to Boca.

OK. Don't remember anything about my own proximity to a Lowes but that's fine. Enjoy your noisesticks.

Maple Leaf Red
05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
OK. Don't remember anything about my own proximity to a Lowes but that's fine. Enjoy your noisesticks.

Heh, I thought you said you were not close to one. Whoops.

Anyway, maybe you're right. The team should ensure that they do things to keep regular fans from making noise. Maybe they can ask people to stop stomping their feet as well.

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Heh, I thought you said you were not close to one. Whoops.

Anyway, maybe you're right. The team should ensure that they do things to keep regular fans from making noise. Maybe they can ask people to stop stomping their feet as well.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

king dave
05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
My solution?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3611/3513190544_7989069f64.jpg?v=0

KD.

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
In what way exactly do thundersticks affect YOUR appreciation of the game or the gameday experience?

Does it make the play on the pitch better or worse?

Does it stop you from singing or jumping?

Does it inhibit noise coming from your particular corner?

Does it block your view any more than flags would?

Is someone forcing one in your hand?

What is it exactly about thundersticks that changes things for you at the stadium?

Don't like them? The solution is easy. Don't use them. But these "rules" as to what is and isn't proper at the stadium is a bunch of made up rules by a bunch of self-important elitists. I didn't take a thunderstick and it didn't change my experience at the game. Why would I care if a kid in a section clear across the stadium decides he likes waving it and making noise???

:rolleyes:

Fort York Redcoat
05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Since I was the first voice of dissent I'll repeat my opinion. I think they're a crutch.

It's an opinion. Not a rule.

I had the perfect example last game. The guy on my left learned some chants and joined in. The guy on my right had noisesticks (and didn't use them with the claps).
Wanna guess who made 2 calls on his cell during play?

You got me. I'm an elitist.

ffs i said enjoy em if you want em. I do not.

I swear I'm done now.

Roogsy
05-08-2009, 10:23 AM
First of all, I didn't call you an elitist...I said whoever made up these rules are self-important elitists. So unless it was you who came up with these imaginary rules...don't misconstrue my statement.

Second...if your attitude is enjoy em if you want em...why complain? Sure they are a crutch. I don't disagree. But that guy who made 2 cell phone calls would have made ZERO noise during the game without the sticks...instead he actually made some. I am ok with that. In fact, I would rather that...that let BMO become another ACC. Even a minimal involvement from a fan who would otherwise be sitting on their hands is progress in my mind...and another step in fighting to ensure the atmosphere stays better than the ACC. We aren't going to have 20,000 Red Patch Boys or Usector or NEE...those that aren't...I would think it's a better idea to let them become involved in the way they feel most comfortable rather than criticizing the way they do it.

H Bomb
05-08-2009, 10:30 AM
If you want to make noise just slam those meaty appendages coming out of your shoulders together. I remember that the Chile friendly a couple years ago there was a Chilean dude in front of me with a noise maker shaped like hands, that clap together....I couldnt believe this, he brought hands and never once clapped his hands. I just do not for the life of me understand why people need accessories at football matches, of any kind.

drewski
05-08-2009, 10:31 AM
Second...if your attitude is enjoy em if you want em...why complain? Sure they are a crutch. I don't disagree. But that guy who made 2 cell phone calls would have made ZERO noise during the game without the sticks...instead he actually made some. I am ok with that. In fact, I would rather that...that let BMO become another ACC. Even a minimal involvement from a fan who would otherwise be sitting on their hands is progress in my mind...and another step in fighting to ensure the atmosphere stays better than the ACC.

+1

now, this happened at a lacrosse game but the principal is the same. my g/f is usually pretty quiet during lax games but they gave those thundersticks out one night and she was making tons of noise at the game that night.

in a perfect soccer world we wouldn't need them. but we don't live in a perfect soccer, so give'r is what i say...just make them the right damn colour!

Jack
05-08-2009, 10:32 AM
If you want to make noise just slam those meaty appendages coming out of your shoulders together. I remember that the Chile friendly a couple years ago there was a Chilean dude in front of me with a noise maker shaped like hands, that clap together....I couldnt believe this, he brought hands and never once clapped his hands. I just do not for the life of me understand why people need accessories at football matches, of any kind.
Because they are louder than hands and make more noise in support of his team ;)

Why bring drums?

H Bomb
05-08-2009, 10:33 AM
^^ good question...and i dont think it's black and white, but i dont get it. it takes more effort to make noise as a human. I dont think simply noise=support...probably why i dont understand flares either....

Jack
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
^^ good question...and i dont think it's black and white, but i dont get it. it takes more effort to make noise as a human. I dont think simply noise=support...probably why i dont understand flares either....

But the effort put in by someone who is supporting with all their heart, augmented by a drum or other noisemaker, would be ok?

alexintoronto
05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Which recent Sounders FC front office decision is the most 'troubling?'
Moving the band to the North End 8%http://www.addpoll.com/images/spacer.gif
http://www.addpoll.com/images/spacer.gif
Asking fans not to wear 'F--king Mental' scarves 8%http://www.addpoll.com/images/spacer.gif
Allowing the band to play DURING the matches 28%http://www.addpoll.com/images/spacer.gif
Giving out 18,000 'Thunder Sticks' 56%http://www.addpoll.com/images/spacer.gif
http://www.addpoll.com/images/bullet-semi-arrow.gif Summary: 314 votes
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-413-Seattle-Soccer-Examiner%7Ey2009m5d7-Commentary-Sounders-front-office-going-down-the-wrong-road-with-match-day-choices

Maybe they can give beachballs and giant foam #1 fingers out to everyone too.

H Bomb
05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
But the effort put in by someone who is supporting with all their heart, augmented by a drum or other noisemaker, would be ok?

I've come to realize I cant go to the stadium with judgement of those around me, as the cultural differences in the stands are too varied. If someone brings a noisemaker thing and supports the team then great, good for them...I might make fun of it, a British cultural staple, but I'll be happy they're doing it. But I wont understand it....cause to me it doesnt make sense.

InTheCrowd
05-08-2009, 04:27 PM
Noise doesn't equal support and it's not the loudness that encourages players.

Jack
05-08-2009, 04:38 PM
Noise doesn't equal support and it's not the loudness that encourages players.
Not on it's own.

But loud support is better than not so loud support.

InTheCrowd
05-08-2009, 04:41 PM
Not on it's own.

But loud support is better than not so loud support.

But if people use these every game they will never end up singing or clapping. Isn't our long term goal to get everyone into this? This would just become an obstacle.

Jack
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
But if people use these every game they will never end up singing or clapping. Isn't our long term goal to get everyone into this? This would just become an obstacle.
No question.
Anyway, I don't think it's a big deal either way.

I've watched some pretty hardcore footy support bang thundersticks (in Mexico) to great effect.

Suds
05-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Personally I find them annoying as hell.

But hey, if it helps some people get into making noise for the team on the field I don't see that as a bad thing.

On another note ... there's a smokin' hot blonde in tight yellow shorts walking past me at Starbucks right now ... god I love summer!! :drool5: