PDA

View Full Version : TFC Trophies

elvis
05-07-2009, 06:36 AM
I took a buddy of mine to the Vancouver game last night and he had a bunch of questions about the Voyageur's Cup, what it was etc... so I wrote a primer on the trophies TFC can compete for.

I'm knew to the blogging world and trying to find my way but I think it's cool so far.

http://mymorningexpresso.blogspot.com/2009/05/whats-nutrilite-canadian-championship.html

Any comments/followers would be appreciated. ;)

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 08:01 AM
Good summary. Concise and well done.

elvis
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Thanks Oldtimer!

Mark in Ottawa
05-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks for that.
I was thinking more of the Nutralite competition as our countries version of the FA cup (national football champions). Of course the FA cup has 750+ teams in its competition while we have... 3 clubs! Hopefully this can change over time.

I can't really see us as having any sort of "real" national championship in football when not every registered club in the country can play for it.

FA Cup same as Stanley Cup? I don't agree. The Stanley Cup is no longer the trophy for the best hockey team in Canada but the trophy for the winner of the National Hockey league (which is of course international) and so is limited as to who can compete for it.

elvis
05-07-2009, 09:43 AM
I agree somewhat but I was just trying to make things simple and easy to understand for newbies - drawing close comparisions from competitions they understand was the easiest (and in my estimation, the best) way to do it. I appreciate the perspective though - makes sense.

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 10:07 AM
Paul said on Ben's show that there is too much a gap between the CSL and the 3 pro clubs, so they won't be looking at expanding it at this time. However, it appears that they will keep on evaluating the situation.

Beach_Red
05-07-2009, 10:25 AM
FA Cup same as Stanley Cup? I don't agree. The Stanley Cup is no longer the trophy for the best hockey team in Canada but the trophy for the winner of the National Hockey league (which is of course international) and so is limited as to who can compete for it.

This is interesting.

The Stanley Cup is an elimination tournament with only the highest seeded teams. In that way, it's more like the Champions League, it just takes place all at the end of the season instead of throughout the year.

At the moment, all the best teams are in the NHL. Someday that could change, but for now the gap between the best NHL teams and the best European club teams is too big.

This is why when people say the Maple Leafs haven't won "anything" in over forty years it isn't really a good comparison because they really only have one trophy to play for. No one cares about the President's trophy or the eastern conference champions (whatever trophy that is). Maybe there should be a trophy for the Canadian NHL team with the most points at the end of the season, the Leafs would have won that a lot - it could be the domestic league trophy.

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
The Stanley Cup is restricted to NHL teams. During the lockout year, there were many calls to the Cup's guardians (who are all appointed by the NHL) to award the Cup to the best non-NHL team that year. They refused. So while in theory it could be awarded to someone else, in practice, not.

BTW, Lord Stanley created the Cup as a challenge cup for amateur hockey. Somehow the NHL got custody in the early 1900s, and now control who gets it, and how.

Nazzer
05-07-2009, 11:08 AM
You said the competition is the Nutrilite Canadian Championship otherwise known as The Voyageurs Cup. Not quite right, thats like saying its the Stanley Cup Playoffs otherwose known as the Stanley Cup. One is the competition, the other is the trophy.

Otherwise, it seems quite good for people that don't really know whats up.

LucaGol
05-07-2009, 11:43 AM
I really hope that "Expresso" is some sort of play on words.

... otherwise ... tsk tsk and a big facepalm

Beach_Red
05-07-2009, 12:21 PM
The Stanley Cup is restricted to NHL teams.

At the moment that's not much of an issue because there aren't any other teams with a realistic chance of winning it, especially in a best of seven series. Maybe someday the European club teams will be good enough to compete head to head with NHL teams and they'll expand their Champions League, then the Stanley Cup will become a kind of North American domestic trophy.

Clearly hockey fans need to care about more than just the one trophy. I suppose you could say that about all North American sports, there's only one trophy in each one that anyone cares about so many teams go a long time without winning "anything," when in fact, they win all kinds of things.

elvis
05-07-2009, 12:38 PM
What's an espresso? I only drink expressos.

cougars732
05-07-2009, 03:30 PM
i wonder what soccer fans around the world will say when TFC and Man Utd face off in the World Club

Dave67
05-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Thanks for that elvis. <nagging mode> The MLS Cup is played at a pre determined site. Not necessarily a neutral site. </nagging mode>

elvis
05-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for that elvis. <nagging mode> The MLS Cup is played at a pre determined site. Not necessarily a neutral site. </nagging mode>

Very true.

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-07-2009, 07:52 PM
more realistic if we finish from 4-8th overall we go into the superliga,if we dont win the canadian championship. i dont think we can enter superlig if we are in the CCL.
so more games next season..gotta love that...altough if we do advance in the CCL where do we play in February? Skydome? ugh

TFCREDNWHITE
05-07-2009, 08:00 PM
I took a buddy of mine to the Vancouver game last night and he had a bunch of questions about the Voyageur's Cup, what it was etc... so I wrote a primer on the trophies TFC can compete for.

I'm knew to the blogging world and trying to find my way but I think it's cool so far.

http://mymorningexpresso.blogspot.com/2009/05/whats-nutrilite-canadian-championship.html

Any comments/followers would be appreciated. ;)

Good job! Fresh prespective for newbies! The more people we can bring into the fold the better!!!!

Chewy Unikronik
05-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Paul said on Ben's show that there is too much a gap between the CSL and the 3 pro clubs, so they won't be looking at expanding it at this time. However, it appears that they will keep on evaluating the situation.
I'm sorry, but I don't agree. Let them prove it out on the field.

Afra
05-08-2009, 11:23 AM
What's an espresso? I only drink expressos.

Order a coffee in Italy and they will bring you an espresso. Order and expresso here and italians giggle and bring you an espresso.

CanadaLFC
05-08-2009, 11:55 AM
I have something similar up on my blog page as well. http://www.theview.tk !!! I have made a little flow chart for this. Criticism welcome.

BTW, I suck at writing so take it for what it is.