PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings: TFC v. Vancouver

Lucky Strike
05-06-2009, 11:32 PM
Sorry I'm later than usual, I was watching my Penguins beat the Caps in overtime and PVR'ed the TFC match. But that's only because it was easier to avoid spoilers from the football match. So a great 1-0 win to begin the tournament and TFC's MLS class showed in this match. Here are the ratings:

Frei - 8: Solid all-around performance from the young Swiss and a great fingertip save near the end.
Wynne - 7: Very involved today in all aspects of the game. He controlled his area well and looked to cause trouble when moving forward.
Attakora - 7: Replaced the injured Serioux and did very well, I was impressed. He had one slightly sketchy moment near the beginning but the fact that I can't remember what it was is a good sign. He dealt effectively with the supposed dangerous Vancouver strikers. The pair were left to bemoan their wretched lives all match long. Sweet.
Velez - 7: Cross your fingers and hope the clangers are a thing of the past. He is well on the way to convince me that he's worth more than a piece of meat (if you're interested, a player from the 4th division in Germany somewhere was sold to another club for something like 75 lbs of meat). Looked composed tonight and did well to sweep away threats.
Brennan - 6.5: Effective when called upon but didn't seem all that solicited in this match, at least to me. He gets a slightly lower grade through no fault of his own.
Robinson - 7: His passes looked a little more accurate than usual and was effective in locking down the middle. As I've said, the commentators made a point to say that the Vancouver strikers were dangerous but they never really got a sniff at goal.
Harmse - 7: I was surprised to see him start over Cronin but I guess in hindsight it was a good idea since he got the goal. And I suppose it is more important to rest a rookie and give them a chance to recover from the long season. Other than the goal, I was pleased with Harmse's play, he did more than just boot it around. Booked (though didn't deserve it at all).
Guevara - 6: Played an excellent first half but seemed more lethargic in the second.
DeRosario - 8.5: Good god! He was the most dangerous man on the pitch on either side. Looked so lively, and a big handful to whoever was marking him and managed to elude double-coverage with regularity. Was effective the whole game and set up the lone goal of the match. Booked.
Barrett - 5.5: Got so many chances by the virtue of his great effort (as usual) but boy would I have been angry at him had we not gotten the 3 points. He had several chances to put the game away but couldn't do so. Subbed.
Vitti - 5: Had some flashes of brilliance but didn't really play a factor in the match. Subbed.

Dichio - 6: Solid but didn't make TFC more dangerous than before. He did give the team and supporters a moral boost by coming on, however. Booked.
Ibrahim - 6: Got forward on occasion but lost the ball by trying to run through a blockade of Vancouver players. He'll learn that that doesn't work all that well.

Cummins - 8: Made an enforced change to the starting line-up by inserting Attakora, and an elective change with Harmse. Both players performed very well tonight. He also subbed out the two players that I've identified as underperforming tonight. Maybe I deserve a good grade too. :D

MOTM: DeRosario. I think I've explained that fairly well above.

Referee - 7: I recently complained about how 50-50 penalty calls always seem to go against us but of course, fate has conspired to make me eat my hat. Early on, there was a decent shout for a penalty as one Vancouver player got a bit of a shirt tug. Otherwise, the match was competently arbitrated and the only thing I can really disagree with was the yellow to Harmse. He was completely innocent during that sequence. Vancouver supporters would no doubt give the referee something near 0 if they believed the amount of unwarranted b*tching by the 'Caps.

Most impressed by opposition's: Tough to pick, really. Charles was a beast but made a few errors so I'll go with Martin Nash. He seemed into the match more than anyone else and didn't make any glaring errors.

Hope you enjoyed this as usual, goodnight all!

Inklink
05-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Nice.

I was super impressed with Nana. I know, with all due respect, that the Whitecaps' forwards aren't as good as many MLS teams' forwards, but still, Nana was impressive.

And Frei ... Spiderman never stops.

rocker
05-06-2009, 11:51 PM
Nana really bodied up on those forwards and played smart.
But it's nothing new from what I've seen of him. Can't believe he just turned 20.

Frei didn't have a lot to do tonight (Shitecaps couldn't get much on target) but that save was classic. he goes above and beyond what's required when he's called upon.
has he given up a bad goal this season? i know in the spring training it seemed like all he let in were penalty kicks.

Up The TFC
05-07-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm on board with these ratings.

Vitti was basically invisible, Frei will be called up to the Swiss team soon and De Ro was MotM.

I'm still 100% behind Barrett, though. The man works harder than almost anyone out there. The goals will come - like they did last week.

As per the opposition, it was definitely MLS v. USL tonight.

But I liked that Knight kid that came on at the back.

CoachGT
05-07-2009, 06:33 AM
Looks good to me. People asked me before the game about lineup and formation and I suggested Ricketts for Guevara - last year Ricketts gave his all and Guevara kind of went through the motions in the CCL games.

Cobblers
05-07-2009, 07:54 AM
I think most of the ratings are on the mark. I'm glad to see people are coming around to Nana - I'm not sure why it's taken people (Carver included) so long to realize. Barrett has athletic ability and workrate but his skill is just not that good - his first touch is dreadful. The positive is that we are still winning without needing his scoring and eventually he will get it right and start potting a few. Frei is a monster. It's interesting that we are still in the same situation as last year where we are are giving up way too many scoring opportunities to our opponents late in games (80+ minutes), but this year Frei is saving them, where last year they were getting by Sutton. DeRo was definitely MOTM but Guevara was a ghost for most of the game - nothing new in my opinion as Guevara only really shows up for one of every three games...

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 08:10 AM
I would give Robbo a slightly lower score due to that bone-headed giveaway late in the game that could have seen us punished by a better team. otherwise, I agree with your scoring.

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 08:18 AM
this goes against my very core beliefs..... but......

Marvell Wynne was off last night. I have no explanation why, but that was one of his poorer performances of the season. Yes his speed saved him because he could hustle back and fix a mistake, but there were more mistakes than he usually has. Maybe I'm being extra tough on him because he's normally such a rock, but I'd rank him a 6 last night.

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
and did anyone else notice the freakin' monster they had playing defence?
The guy was as tall as Dichio but his chest was twice as wide. Ibby just
had to run around him, because he looked like he was going to clobber him.

just looked it up - wesley charles, born 1975, 6foot3, 215 pounds

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/files/Images/team/Men/Wesley_Charles.jpg

can we get him and Serioux on the same line?

spezz44
05-07-2009, 08:22 AM

Marvell Wynne was off last night. I have no explanation why, but that was one of his poorer performances of the season. Yes his speed saved him because he could hustle back and fix a mistake, but there were more mistakes than he usually has. Maybe I'm being extra tough on him because he's normally such a rock, but I'd rank him a 6 last night.

i would have to agree, with this Marvell looked off to me last night, and i thought Vitti's work rate was very high and should be bumped up a bit.

trane
05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
and did anyone else notice the freakin' monster they had playing defence?
The guy was as tall as Dichio but his chest was twice as wide. Ibby just
had to run around him, because he looked like he was going to clobber him.

just looked it up - wesley charles, born 1975, 6foot3, 215 pounds

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/files/Images/team/Men/Wesley_Charles.jpg

He played a pretty good game he saved them a couple of goals by running back and kicking out for a corner. He is a player I would not mind us taking a look at by age is an issue.

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 08:36 AM
yeah, the fact that he's in his mid-30's is pretty astounding.

I wonder how he'd react to a 'who ate all the pies' chant?

BuSaPuNk
05-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Frei played well when called upon. Very impressed with Akakora fucked Vancouver's attack and was very confident with the ball. Harmse played well and didn't lose his temper.....especially after that fat fuck Charles pushed him down....didn't deserve the card. All around soild performence. I would go on about DeRo but i'd be here all day!! Bring on Limpact!!!

trane
05-07-2009, 08:38 AM
We did not look as sharp in the second half in attack, when Dichio was brought in they created some chances but they miscomunicated and threw them away. I give the entire team a 7 solid but not great, it should have been a 2-0 vicotory, and we gave them uneccesary opportunities to tie it. The three players that shined in my opinion on our side, were De Ro he was undressing their Right Back, Attakora whom in my opinion should start at CB, I have been saying that all year, and last night showed why, and Robbo who cut of much of what they were trying to do. Harmse looks way better in the mid then at the back, and I hope that he is put back in there only as the fourth option behind Serioux, Nana and Velez.

trane
05-07-2009, 08:39 AM
yeah, the fact that he's in his mid-30's is pretty astounding.

I wonder how he'd react to a 'who ate all the pies' chant?

He has a good CB attitude, he would probably give you the finger and eat some more. The only thing that I did not like about his play that he tended to wonder up the filed once in the while. But I agree with you he would be a good adition. Montreal also has a couple of good CBs, not spetacullar but they play solid mistake free footy.

Oldtimer
05-07-2009, 08:43 AM

He is a monster, but he wouldn't really cut it in MLS. He is great on heading out the ball, but is sloppy in tackling and is a walking red card waiting to happen.

trail
05-07-2009, 08:51 AM
I hope for Barrett's wife’s sake he can at least finish in the bedroom, god knows he’s having problems on the field!!

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 08:53 AM
I hope for Barrett's wife’s sake he can at least finish in the bedroom, god knows he’s having problems on the field!!

poor guy.

he's the only player I know who can score in one game, and be in a slump for the next one.

Pachuco
05-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Sorry I'm later than usual, I was watching my Penguins beat the Caps in overtime and PVR'ed the TFC match. But that's only because it was easier to avoid spoilers from the football match. So a great 1-0 win to begin the tournament and TFC's MLS class showed in this match. Here are the ratings:

Frei - 8: Solid all-around performance from the young Swiss and a great fingertip save near the end.
Wynne - 7: Very involved today in all aspects of the game. He controlled his area well and looked to cause trouble when moving forward.
Attakora - 7: Replaced the injured Serioux and did very well, I was impressed. He had one slightly sketchy moment near the beginning but the fact that I can't remember what it was is a good sign. He dealt effectively with the supposed dangerous Vancouver strikers. The pair were left to bemoan their wretched lives all match long. Sweet.
Velez - 7: Cross your fingers and hope the clangers are a thing of the past. He is well on the way to convince me that he's worth more than a piece of meat (if you're interested, a player from the 4th division in Germany somewhere was sold to another club for something like 75 lbs of meat). Looked composed tonight and did well to sweep away threats.
Brennan - 6.5: Effective when called upon but didn't seem all that solicited in this match, at least to me. He gets a slightly lower grade through no fault of his own.
Robinson - 7: His passes looked a little more accurate than usual and was effective in locking down the middle. As I've said, the commentators made a point to say that the Vancouver strikers were dangerous but they never really got a sniff at goal.
Harmse - 7: I was surprised to see him start over Cronin but I guess in hindsight it was a good idea since he got the goal. And I suppose it is more important to rest a rookie and give them a chance to recover from the long season. Other than the goal, I was pleased with Harmse's play, he did more than just boot it around. Booked (though didn't deserve it at all).
Guevara - 6: Played an excellent first half but seemed more lethargic in the second.
DeRosario - 8.5: Good god! He was the most dangerous man on the pitch on either side. Looked so lively, and a big handful to whoever was marking him and managed to elude double-coverage with regularity. Was effective the whole game and set up the lone goal of the match. Booked.
Barrett - 5.5: Got so many chances by the virtue of his great effort (as usual) but boy would I have been angry at him had we not gotten the 3 points. He had several chances to put the game away but couldn't do so. Subbed.
Vitti - 5: Had some flashes of brilliance but didn't really play a factor in the match. Subbed.

Dichio - 6: Solid but didn't make TFC more dangerous than before. He did give the team and supporters a moral boost by coming on, however. Booked.
Ibrahim - 6: Got forward on occasion but lost the ball by trying to run through a blockade of Vancouver players. He'll learn that that doesn't work all that well.

Cummins - 8: Made an enforced change to the starting line-up by inserting Attakora, and an elective change with Harmse. Both players performed very well tonight. He also subbed out the two players that I've identified as underperforming tonight. Maybe I deserve a good grade too. :D

Referee - 7: I recently complained about how 50-50 penalty calls always seem to go against us but of course, fate has conspired to make me eat my hat. Early on, there was a decent shout for a penalty as one Vancouver player got a bit of a shirt tug. Otherwise, the match was competently arbitrated and the only thing I can really disagree with was the yellow to Harmse. He was completely innocent during that sequence. Vancouver supporters would no doubt give the referee something near 0 if they believed the amount of unwarranted b*tching by the 'Caps.

Most impressed by opposition's: Tough to pick, really. Charles was a beast but made a few errors so I'll go with Martin Nash. He seemed into the match more than anyone else and didn't make any glaring errors.

I think this is a really fair assessment and pretty much the way I saw the game. I too was very impressed with Nana, man this kid is the future of TFC and Canada in the back. In fact, I think he could push Velez out of the starting role by mid-season if he keeps playing like that. He ate up James last night all night long, and probably deserves a higher rating then Velez with the way he played.

The only thing I would change, and I'm nit picking, is lower Brennan's assessment to 5.5. I personally did see him do the usual kick the ball up to nobody or kick the ball out of bounds when he had time. I'm incredibly frustrated with him this year and except for Harmse, he's been the worst defender on the team. He had 1 good game this year, that's it. His passing ability has dropped below Robbo's standards, and that's not a good thing.

T.Reis
05-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Nice to see Nana getting some love from people today. Thought he did well.

olegunnar
05-07-2009, 09:06 AM
He has a good CB attitude, he would probably give you the finger and eat some more. The only thing that I did not like about his play that he tended to wonder up the filed once in the while. But I agree with you he would be a good adition. Montreal also has a couple of good CBs, not spetacullar but they play solid mistake free footy.

Barrett made him look good quite often.

Had barrett finished his clear cut chances that big dude would have been know as the guy that lets people behind him all the time.

Technorgasm
05-07-2009, 09:16 AM
ATTA. . . . ?

ATTA BOY!!!

2nd half was as flat as the pancake on this bunnies head.

Lucky to hold on for the win.

http://www.4guysfromviewpoint.com/uploadedimages/bunny.JPG

When will we see a dismantling of the opposition?

Why not drive a knife through their hearts when we have the lead?

Somtime soon, someone is going to find us out.

Yohan
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
When will we see a dismantling of the opposition?

Why not drive a knife through their hearts when we have the lead?

May 13 vs the Limp Act ;)

FluSH
05-07-2009, 09:27 AM

Great read... may I suggest using the :yellow: smiley instead of booked! =P makes it more visiable over all of the text.

Lucky Strike
05-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Great read... may I suggest using the :yellow: smiley instead of booked! =P makes it more visiable over all of the text.

Noted. Too bad we don't have a substitution icon either. But I guess it wouldn't be of much use on a forum. It makes sense to yellow card someone if they’re jerks, but rarely can you ever substitute a forumist and have it make any sense. :D

trane
05-07-2009, 10:31 AM
Barrett made him look good quite often.

Had barrett finished his clear cut chances that big dude would have been know as the guy that lets people behind him all the time.

That is why I prefer Barrett further out, and not infront of goal he gets behind defenders on a regular basis but then does not finish often enough. If he is more to the outside, he can get in and then cross the ball in front of the net for those with better finishing touches to bury the chances.

profit89
05-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Harmse played really well.

VPjr
05-07-2009, 11:47 AM

I agree with you. furthermore, he never really got involved in the offence last night at all. The team got way too predictable, attacking constantly from the left, despite the fact Vitti was wide open out wide on the right side constantly. If the ball was swung right on occasion, Wynne would have been a bigger part of the action.

VPjr
05-07-2009, 11:54 AM
poor guy.

he's the only player I know who can score in one game, and be in a slump for the next one.

ANYONE with a head attached to his neck would have scored last week.

Last night was classic Chad.

Guys, he's simply not good enough. He's the same guy that Chicago Fire fans grew to despise...nothing has changed.

Incredible work rate, god-awful first touch and finishing.

anyone remember this Youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-NzDwwTb6o

joel
05-07-2009, 03:03 PM
The guy has no patience, several times he could have just walked around the keeper rather than attempt to shoot once the goalie was so close to him

mighty_torontofc_2008
05-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Frei...............8 not tested till late..then saved a goal
Wynne...........8 solid effort
Attakora.........6 good effort
Velez.............7 looking dependable
Brennan.........5 average
Robinson........7 always dependable
Harmse..........8 man of the match....brilliant goal
Guevara.........6 has played better
DeRo............5.5 nice set up on goal then nothing for 87 mins
Barrett...........6 has to put some of these chances away
Vitti...............6 off night
Dichio............6 sub helped kill time
Ibrahim...........6 potential
Cummins........5.5 let the payers do their jib, but needs to find a goal scorer

Parkdale
05-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Harmse..........8 man of the match....brilliant goal
Cummins........5.5 let the payers do their jib, but needs to find a goal scorer

what?

Harmse was only given the full 90minutes because he score.
If he hadn't scored, he should have been pull in the 75th.

and how can you rate Cummings as a 5.5?
I don't understand what logic could come up with that.
It sounds like you're blaming him for keeping Barrett on
the pitch, even though he subbed him out for Dichio.

KRO
05-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I think Vitti was invisible last night because he was asked to play right wing and didn't see much of the ball. DeRo was having so much fun on the left wing that the rest of the team were focussing on getting the ball to him.

Vitti had a little run early in the game where he beat three men and dished it off to Guevara which resulted in the goal. I don't dispute his rating though and he will have better days.

canucker
05-07-2009, 03:34 PM
^^^
Agreed! Vitti couldn't be expected to do much when the team kept feeding the ball to the red hot DeRo.

Its a bit of a problem, although a good problem, to see how DeRo, Guevara and Vitti can play with each other. They all like to control the ball.

jabbronies
05-07-2009, 03:50 PM
I really though Brennan played well. Got the ball out a few times and was dangerous on a few plays moving forward.

I give him a 7.5

TFC USA
05-08-2009, 07:00 PM
DeRo............5.5 nice set up on goal then nothing for 87 mins

:out:

Justify this please.